PDA

View Full Version : Oh god! Kill it with fire!... 3.5e Also [PEACH]

Nanoblack
2010-11-03, 11:13 PM
(Yes I know a lot of this was taken directly from the hellbred from the Fiendish Codex II but I though a Far Realm version was due. Please comment with anything you think might improve mechanics, fluff, or even spelling errors. Also, does anyone think I need to put a hyphen in Far-bred?)

New Race: Farbred
http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs44/i/2010/049/1/4/Horror_by_Kredepops.jpgWarning: Picture is pretty crazy...

“We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.” – Teufel the Farbred

The Kaorti, zealous in their efforts of conversion, are imperfect creatures from an unknowable existence. Partway through the transformation the mind of the victim is poisoned with thoughts and memories not of their own. Occasionally, an individual of strong will manages to retain most of their mind upon finishing the transformation, gaining greater power from the entity behind the Kaorti.

Farbred Racial Traits:
Humanoid: Farbred are humanoid creatures despite their aberrant appearance.

Aberrant Nature: Farbred biology is frightening to look at when their true nature is revealed. They gain a +2 racial bonus in Intimidate.

Kaorti Resin: A Farbred is capable of producing Kaorti resin in the same quantities as an adult Kaorti. Also they are able to use resin armor with no negative effect and resin weapons as if they were martial weapons. Furthermore, if they possess the requisite ranks in Craft (Alchemical) and an appropriate secondary craft skill, they are able to use this resin in place of wood and metal.

Farbound: An Eldritch Horror has claim on a Farbred’s soul. As a result a Farbred can only be restored to life by a resurrection spell or greater.

Aberration Blood: A Farbred gains Aberration Blood as a bonus feat, even if they do not meet the requirements. (Aberration Blood is a feat detailed in the Lords of madness and the bottom of this post).

Aberrant Aspect: Upon completing the Transformation (the creation of the Farbred) a Farbred may choose one of the following aspects to manifest:

Body:
A Farbred that chooses this Aberrant aspect gains a + 4 bonus on saves versus poison and -2 Wis and +2 Con - the process of Body strengthens his body but weakens his mind.

At 4HD he receives a bonus Aberrant feat
At 14HD he gains another bonus Aberrant feat

Mind:
A Farbred that selects the Spirit aspect acquires Eldritch senses, gaining Darkvision out to 30feet and a +2 racial bonus on Sense Motive. The Farbred gains a +2 bonus to Charisma and a -2 penalty to Constitution

At 6HD his Darkvision extends to 60 feet
At 9HD his Darkvision extends to 120 Feet
At 12HD he gains the ability to see in magical darkness
At 15HD he gains limited Telepathy (100ft)

Automatic Languages: Kaorti. A Farbred retains all languages they knew in their former life.

Favored Class: Ozodrin.

ECL: 0

Farbred Society:
Farbred are the deformed, the damned, and the outcast. They are loners, cast-offs of their former societies. Despite any noble intentions, many see them as abominations. Thus, most societies shun Farbred with the exception of the Kaorti who see them as a superior race and are jealous of their ability to survive without the aid of resin suits.

Alignment: Farbred favor no particular alignment, though some Farbred adopt the alignment of the Eldritch Horrors that gave them form.
Lands: Farbred have no lands. They tend to wander. Most contend with an inner revulsion of what they have become, so they seek lands the Kaorti haven't corrupted yet. Others embrace their new forms and may possibly aid the efforts of their makers.
Settlements: Only areas overtaken by a blot can truly be considered a home for a Farbred. Even then, most Kaorti only grudgingly accept its presence and will most likely attempt to transform any non-Kaorti companions.
Beliefs: Farbred tend to stray from religion due to the horrible knowledge implanted within their minds during transformation. The closest thing to a god in Kaorti culture is Zurguth, the Feasting Vast. Those few who venerate mortal deities prefer gods with shapeshifting, travel, and madness in their portfolio.
Relations: So long as farbred keep their nature concealed, they have little problems interacting with other races. Certainly, the somber pall hanging from such characters makes these interactions subdued, but most individuals are at least cordial. Farbred often adopt a paranoid outlook when dealing with other races, knowing anyone could be another horror in disguise. Beyond that, they may find friendship in unexpected places, often with members of other outcast races, such as half-orcs. Reformed drow, tieflings, or the rare good aligned gnoll, goblin, or hobgoblin often prove constant companions.

Farbred Characters:
Farbred are both intelligent and charismatic, being natural leaders despite the curse they bear.

Adventuring Farbred: Time is short for a farbred. In all likelihood, no reward waits for him at the end of his life—no blessing, no warm heavenly welcome. All he has to look forward to is an eternity of suffering, the subversion of his mind, or utter absorption by the Far Realm. As a result, a farbred strives to change his fate. He struggles to gain power in the slim hope that he can escape certain doom.

Character Development: Given the abilities available to a farbred, any feat that adds to or enhances his current abilities can help him. Many a farbred character does well to pursue aberrant feats to enhance their physiology. If so, the farbred’s potentially high Charisma or Constitution score grants him many options with which to pursue his adventuring career.

Character Names: Upon transformation Farbred retain their first names, but replace their last names with something more fitting of their new nature.
Surnames: Sothoth, Ellathog, Thaskh, Elogogot, Chorshug, Eithoth.

Roleplaying A Farbred
Farbred are intense characters. The Far Realm is a real and active force, and they live to either join it or oppose it.

Personality: Brooding and grim, farbred are not known for their levity. They approach every situation with seriousness. They are monsters created by monsters and they attempt to use this to their favor whenever possible.

Roleplaying Application: Sulk frequently. Try not to laugh at too many jokes, and rarely crack them yourself. Try to focus on the mission. Be all business, all the time.

Behaviors: Farbred tend to avoid the spotlight, especially in urban environments where their true nature might be revealed through too much exposure to common folk. As such, they prefer dark corners, night, and sidestreets.
Roleplaying Application: You typically hate the attention. If notice is inescapable, better to deal with a problem immediately than let it grow.

Language: The knowledge imparted by the Kaorti transformation tends to dull most positive thought, especially when you know of the horrors that might be lurking around that next corner. Farbred often enjoy describing these dark fates to their enemies before revealing their heritage for added effect.

Roleplaying Application: Listen more than talk. When you do speak, it should be important. Farbred can be depressing people, so couch your statements in terms of doom, fear, and madness.

Aberrant Blood: The Feat:
One of your ancestors was an aberration and has passed the taint of its aberrant physiology down through the generations to you. This taint manifests physically in your appearance in some noticeable way.

Prerequisite: Humanoid.
Benefit: You gain a physical feature that grants you a racial bonus on one type of check; once you select the check to which this bonus applies (as well as the corresponding feature) you cannot change it later. The bonus must be chosen from the following list:

Aberrant Feature Benefit
Bulging eyes +2 bonus on Spot checks
Flexible limbs +2 bonus on Grapple checks
Segmented eyes +3 bonus on Search checks
Slimy skin +4 bonus on Escape Artist checks
Sticky fingers +3 bonus on Climb checks
Tail +4 bonus on Balance checks
Webbed hands +4 bonus on Swim checks

Special: You can select this feat more than once. Each time you select this feat, choose a different aberrant feature and gain the bonus associated with it.

The Tygre
2010-11-03, 11:48 PM
Very nice. Very nice indeed. I like this a lot. :smallcool: But are you sure on the ECL? Even with the restrictions on resurrection, these guys still have a lot of features to them.

Nanoblack
2010-11-03, 11:51 PM
Well this race is mostly based off of hellbred with a few changes to adapt them to the aberrant flavor so I just went with what WotC had originally. I don't think any of the changes I made are too powerful.

The Antigamer
2010-11-06, 06:22 AM
Well this race is mostly based off of hellbred with a few changes to adapt them to the aberrant flavor so I just went with what WotC had originally. I don't think any of the changes I made are too powerful.

I don't know, Kaorti Resin can be pretty useful. But I like the flavor.
I think it might be nice if Mind aspect did something besides darkvision though. I mean, Body gives you bonus feats, who wants darkvision over that?

Mangles
2010-11-06, 07:58 AM
so is this a template added to a character or a completely new race? The fluff seems to indicate it would be a template while the crunch seems to go the other way.

EDIT: BTW nice fluff. Not real good on balance so i can't really comment there

Nanoblack
2010-11-06, 12:01 PM
I don't know, Kaorti Resin can be pretty useful. But I like the flavor.
I think it might be nice if Mind aspect did something besides darkvision though. I mean, Body gives you bonus feats, who wants darkvision over that?

I couldn't think of anything to replace the resin and it was something i hadn't seen before, so I thought it would be cool. As for the mind aspect, well... most would come for the Cha bonus and stay for the telepathy at later levels.

so is this a template added to a character or a completely new race? The fluff seems to indicate it would be a template while the crunch seems to go the other way.

EDIT: BTW nice fluff. Not real good on balance so i can't really comment there

Yeah the wording is a little ambiguous. Think of it as a sort of super-reincarnation that wipes all your class levels, changes you into this thing, and can only be attained by having a grotesque Kaorti latch his jaws to your throat for a solid eight hours. All of the mentions of your old race is more or less an excuse to not force everyone playing one into being an eldritch horror, and to give you some familiar culture to RP.

TL;DR
Not a template.

Ralasha
2010-11-06, 03:24 PM
There is already an aberrant template, you have to spend feats to gain the abilities however. extra limbs, blindsight, blind sense, tremorsense, unusual movement, etc.