PDA

View Full Version : Dresil's Tomb of the Damned

Dresil
2010-11-03, 11:45 PM
I'd just like to say, for Gary. I hope I can come within a shadow of his talent during this game.

You have all traveled long and far to reach the point where you stand. The rewards for returning with the destroyed shards of the Lich Acererak's phylactery are almost beyond measure... the king has allowed you to name your own rewards if this task is completed.

The dead evening air carries with it the subtle stench of decay, and with good reason: the graveyard that sits about 150 feet in front of you. Dead trees grasp desperately at the dusk sky, almost as if they were trying to reach into the sky and pull their rotten roots into better soil somewhere more hallowed than this desolate place. Far off, a distant peal of thunder rolls and the sky looks like rain will come in about an hour, when true night comes in. It looks like fate won't even grant you the luxury of a moon this night.

After working up the courage to walk towards the locked gate of the cemetery, a bright crimson flame blossoms on the well traveled road about twenty feet from you. Emerging from it is something that appearsto be human, but your gut tells you otherwise. His red irises burn with an unholy light and an inhuman grin almost convinces your last meal to up and leave from your stomach. "Please, don't mind me, he speaks, a low and slithering voice. "You mortals seem to have taken a liking to this place, and while it is really quite entertaining to watch down below, I have been given permission to help you out so to speak."

He disappears in a puff of smoke and reappears standing on what appears to be a very sharp iron spike of the fence that separates you from the dead. "These too were adventurers who tried and failed to destroy the Lich Acererak, but they never got too far in, sadly. What I offer you is this. If you so happen to find yourself on the other side of mortality, I may be able to give you another chance. That is, if your body isn't in too small pieces. I offer you my services, humbly. If you wish a friend to be Resurrected or Truly Resurrected, all you need to do is call out S'ystliak, we cannot go on without <name>! Simply please keep in mind that I will take a little extra life force with me as payment for this emergency miracle. Just keep it in mind, I'm just a scream away... Eheheehehe!!!"

The demon vanishes with a whiff of brimstone and a puff of smoke. You all know now the weights of his deal as it rings in your heads, filled with this knowledge you are ready to press into the Tomb of the Damned.

Demon's Deal

Casting Resuurection on a dead party member includes all effects in the spell description, as well as a loss of an extra 1d6 Max HP, or -1 to AC and saves.

Casting True Resurrection on a dead party member includes all effects in the spell description, as well as a loss of 1 point in any 2 random abilities.

Both spells are cast as a full round action after the fallen member has died.

For a payment of 1d3 Max HP, spellcasters can get 3d4 spells re-memorized immediately, and other characters can have a +4 vile bonus to hit and damage for 24 hours.

DM Notes: Night 1
[Spoiler]
1200[/Spoiler

Chambers
2010-11-04, 12:36 AM
Journe

"Pfah!" Journe says. "Damn demon mists tastes....well, like demons, I suppose." He shrugs and coughs a few times. Taking his greatsword off his back he rechecks the wand is safely inside it's chamber. "Allright, that's all my preparations." He says smiling. He makes the sign of Pelor with one hand and half-closes his eyes, mumbling some words under his breath. "I'll trust in Pelor to save me, not the demon."

Toptomcat
2010-11-04, 11:56 AM
Hmmmm. He's an oily one. And, it seems, given to making deals. I can use this.

Just before the unsettling demon seems poised to disappear, William steps in, his face all smiles and reasonableness, his tone light and airy, and one finger raised into the air.

"Now wait just one minute, Mister S'ystliak. I don't believe you. You could very easily be just another one of the lich's tricks- it would easily within his power to bind a demon to his service or key a powerful illusion to the approach of adventurers, don't you agree? For all we know, that key phrase will summon a horde of iron golems to stomp us into gory paste. If we are to use your 'services' and you are to get your life force, I think we need to see a little demonstration of your good faith. That's reasonable, isn't it? And I have just the thing. These unfortunate colleagues of ours that we see here-" he gestures expansively to the headstones "-who have so entertained you...tell us how to best vanquish or bypass an early hazard that's been responsible for killing a great number of them. That costs you nothing, but should be sufficient to create the trust we need to do business."

Dresil
2010-11-04, 12:25 PM
The demon after hearing this, still disappears in a puff of smoke, but after ten seconds, he reappears holding a squirming a pair of kobold youths in his claws.

He tosses one a good thirty feet until the young kobold was impaled on one of the black iron spikes of the fence. There is no doubt about it, that the yound lizard is dead, but then S'ystilak kneels down and releases the other kobold, looking him in the face. "His name was Tikker."

The live kobold seems to be shaking in fear as he says "S'ystilak.... w-w-we cannot go on w-without Tikker!"

A bolt of blue energy laced with blackness pours from the demons hand, and as it lances out to the young kobold, all can see he is gently pried off of the spike, and in between one breath and the next, is brought back to the living, with apparently no signs of stress, save for a faint scar where the iron rended into his chest, like it happened years ago.

The demon then turns back and says, "There is your proof. As for a clue on the early traps, I shall give thee two.

Be thou prepared when thine boots cross to unhallowed, because some of Acererak's enemies sleep quite shallow. Not is all that it may seem, who knows what vision is just a dream?

You should do to remember well, one is two and two is three, mind the big rocks or crush'd ye shall be! Pay attention to warriors pure, but no matter what they are dead for sure. Some traps will not let you come back from hell!"

His words echo in your minds as he and the two kobolds disappear.

whoiam
2010-11-04, 02:47 PM
Alexis

"Yay, riddles."

Alexis seems less than impressed at the Demon's offer, despite the fact it could prove useful... especially as she was pretty certain resurrection was not something she or her allies could do by themselves.

Mainly, though, that was because she was less than impressed with the demon. Trusting on one to keep his word was about as stupid as entering this place without an army.

....That was probably not a great way for her to reassure herself.

"So, shall we press on? Or would you rather debate his words a while?"

neoseph7
2010-11-04, 03:26 PM
Zeek Flarnock Jr.
The Gnome looks around, focusing on the graveyard around him. He pays especially close attention to the magic the Demon uses, hoping to verify that it is more than Illusions and Figments.

Detect Magic

Well. This is an odd introduction to hell. I expected something less... merciful. I concur on the whole "pressing on" bit.

Zeek will spread his leathery bat wings out and fly on ahead with the rest of the party (paying attention to magic auras and looking out for invisible foes).

Active Effects:
Beguiling Influence (bonus to chatty skills)
Fell Flight (Good Manueverability 20ft Fly speed)
See the Unseen (See Invisibilty and Darkvision 60ft)

Toptomcat
2010-11-04, 03:32 PM
"What's to debate? Watch out for enemies coming up from the floor- presumably undead within the area of active unhallow spells- be on alert for illusions, watch out for falling rocks, remember that any warriors we meet in the tomb are dead no matter how they look, and some traps here will mutilate a body past the possibility of ordinary resurrection.
The only potentially confusing bit was the stuff about one being two and two being three, and I suspect that falls into the category of infuriatingly cryptic things that won't be deciphered until after the fact. Which is par for the course when dealing with demons. I'm rather relieved there wasn't more of it, really."

William peers through the gate into the cemetary.

"Any objections to my sending an elemental through the gates before we go ourselves to see if it gets ambushed by undead or trips a trap or three?"

Dresil
2010-11-04, 04:35 PM
Zeek

The aura of the magic you witness was indeed Conjuration, and a powerful source at that. You were overcome with the strangest sensations of both Good and Evil coming from the same source.

You also sense a dome shaped passive Evocation spell hovering about five feet from the top of the iron fence. It is old magic, and likely Pemanancied.

A low hill rests at the back of the cemetary, as the night begins to fully awaken, a wolf howls somewhere in the distance. There appears to be a rusty chain and padlock on the gates to the cemetary.

Getting close enough to inspect the gate shows a small bronze plaque reading 'Those who rest beyond these gates all share equal fates. In life they swore against the lich and wished to become strong and rich. Now that they live no more, the Mighty Acererak honors the oath they swore.

MAP

{table] |A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M|N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y |Z
1| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
2| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
3|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|G|G|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|
4| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
5| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
6| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
7| | |T| | |T| | | | | | | | | | | | | |T| | |T| | | |
8| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
9| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
10| | |T| | |T| | | | | | | | | | | | | |T| | |T| | | |
11| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
12| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
13| | |T|T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |T|T| | | | |
14| | |T|T| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |T|T| | | | |
15| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |
16| |H|H|H|H|H|H|H|H|H|H|H|H|H|H|H|H|H|H|H|H|H|H|H| | |[/table]

Key: (G) - Gate
(-) - Iron Fence
(H) - Hill

Scoot
2010-11-04, 08:50 PM
Affe

Disturbed by the strange red man, Affe grunts,

Not care what we do, just keep man away

And then, as if his words somehow banished any fears in his skull, he grins and shifts his hammer,

We follow wing man?

Toptomcat
2010-11-04, 09:24 PM
"Not yet, Affe. Wait, please."
William gets as close as he can to the gate, then focuses intently for a moment- not bothering with so much as a mumbled word or a quick gesture. An amorphous, quickly-shifting cloud appears on the other side and immediately rises up into the air, moving to and fro as if searching for something before making a low moan- as of the wind when it catches the trees just right- that almost sounds like language. He repeats the performance with a little walking mound that burrows into the ground and surfaces shortly thereafter to give its report, then a mass of ambulatory flame that scorches across the grass.
If nothing happens, he repeats the entire procedure at several points along the gate, then finally reports his findings.

If Zeek reports his findings:
"Hmmm. Possibly something keyed to the gate's opening. I don't care to find out what, but I don't want to expend a spell to try to dispel it either. Shall we cut our way through the fence instead?"

The areas of the map from 4 to 8 are all explored by teams of elementals as discussed in the OOC thread, with William staying at the nearest possible point on 2 to give his teams the greatest possible range.

Dresil
2010-11-04, 09:42 PM
Zeek

Your elementals can not find anything strange in the 30' they can reach. Your earth elemental counted four wooden boxes in the ground with a rotten smell about them.

Toptomcat
2010-11-04, 09:58 PM
"Nothing strange in the area my elementals can roam in. The coffins of the graves are still intact, so if these fallen adventurers burst out of their graves every time someone intrudes here, Acererak is at least polite enough to neatly rebury them each time. Which strikes me as unlikely. We're clear to go: through the gate or through the fence?"

neoseph7
2010-11-05, 11:51 AM
Zeek Flarnock Jr.

In general, anything Zeek discovers, he will report to the party

Zeek Hovers 15 ft off the ground while watching the elementals do their thing. While waiting, he will fly up to 30ft and fire an Eldritch Blast (Brimestone, Spear) at far off stationary targets beyond the gate for practice (250ft).

:elan: Blast, Blast, Blast, Blast anything I can find!

Attack Roll: (Against Diminuitive non-stationary object AC of 11?)
[roll0]
Damage: [roll1] Fire Damage

William. My blast is set to flame, and would not damage your burning summon. If it finds something I should blast at, I can probably blast right through it, or at the least not damage it. Up to you of course. I have better manners than to randomly attack the magical manifestations of my allies and friends. Well, ok, that's a lie, but for the time being I can pretend to have such manners.

Dresil
2010-11-05, 01:20 PM
Nothing seems to happen after the lance of flame sizzles out of existence. Everything is as still as a crypt.

Archdeacon GX
2010-11-05, 09:22 PM
Isaiah

The quiet man in the dark leather coat remains silent for now, observing the goings-on around him with a watchful eye. He stares at the Demon as his speech is given, and watches gives the very slightest flinch as the young kobold is slain upon the fence. Evil little creatures or not, there was just something unsettling about everything this S'ystilak did.

The others were saying that they needed a way into the gate, as if simply opening the door and walking through would not work. This made sense; if the Lich Acererak was so terrible as the tales suggested, it couldn't possibly be so easy. But having no knowledge of magic beyond the enchantments of his own equipment, the marksman can offer no real insight as to a course of action. Thus, he refrains from speaking, instead drawing out a sheet of paper and a pen, scrawling a few notes.

Toptomcat
2010-11-05, 09:59 PM
William

"Thanks for the offer, Zeek. I'll keep it in mind- sounds like a neat trick- but the elementals aren't my primary combat summon- they're a little parlor trick that I can whip up without much effort. Use 'em mostly for scouting. You'll know it when I start actually calling up the big stuff- demon wolves the size of a horse, crazed great apes with blood-red eyes...
Anyway, could you try melting through a section of fence for us? I didn't bring a hacksaw."

Scoot
2010-11-06, 12:02 AM
Affe

Affe begins to impatiently dig his foot into the ground as he watches the tiny creatures float around past the gate.

At the mention of action, however, he perks up his ears,

If fire not work, Affe has hammer!

neoseph7
2010-11-06, 11:11 AM
Zeek Flarnock Jr.

At hearing Willam's request, Zeek focuses on a section of the gate and starts a hot burn with his eldritch blast to attempt to melt through a bar.

Fire? Hammer? All we need is duct tape and we'll be good to go.

Lining up the eldritch blast and spending multiple rounds on the blasting. Average damage is 19.5 fire with only natural 1's missing and no crits, so 18.525 fire damage per 6 seconds. Don't know what the HP on the bars are, or if they are affected by magical fire at all, but Zeek will continue the melting until he gets bored or it is called for that he stop.

Dresil
2010-11-06, 11:41 AM
After about half a minute, you burn one bar away. Another three minutes of burning flame clears a 5 foot section for you to pass through at I3.

MAP

3|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-| |-|-|-|G|G|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|
6| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

neoseph7
2010-11-07, 04:48 PM
Zeek Flarnock Jr.

Having gotten bored with blasting at the iron bars, Zeek will fly over the metal barrier at R3 towards the crypt.

Enough beating around the bush. Victory favors the bold! Let's go.

Dresil
2010-11-07, 05:10 PM
After flying above the wall of iron fencing, you slam into what feels like an invisible brick wall, falling to the ground. Reflex save DC 16 or take [roll0] damage from the spikes, also [roll1] falling damage.

Chambers
2010-11-08, 01:57 PM
Journe

"Zeek!" Journe shouts, rushing over to the fallen gnome. "Here, take it easy." He says, helping him up. "Don't be so hasty." He says, smiling as channels the energy of the sheathed wand to heal Zeek. "There, feeling better?"

"Let's walk where we can see..." He says and walks through the burned hole in the fence.

1 charge from the CMW wand [49 remaining]
[roll0]

neoseph7
2010-11-08, 05:02 PM
Zeek Flarnock Jr.

Reflex Save:
[roll0]

Assuming a 21 Reflex is enough that he can stop and hover instead of falling.

Zeek is able to regain his flight away from the wall without landing on anything dangerous.

I wall there's a think here. He says clumsily

Toptomcat
2010-11-08, 05:09 PM
William Judge
William eyes the spiked fence.
"Yikes. That could have been pretty ugly. Glad you're okay, Zeek."
He reaches into his pack, pulls out a long, wooden pole that seems far too long to have been reasonably stored in it, and begins tapping it ahead of him, trying to find out if there's a similarly invisible wall at ground level or if it's just in the air.

Dresil
2010-11-08, 06:57 PM
It seems that the invisible wall starts about three feet above the top of the fence.

Journe, you need not use a charge on your wand.

As one of your fellow party members enters the cemetery, a light mist begins to pick up on the far bank of the enclosure. Somewhere, a raven squawks his lonely cry.

I ask now when you move to tell me what space you are moving to.

Dresil
2010-11-08, 08:33 PM
After moving into the cemetery, the first thing that everyone notices is the fog thickens to the point that seeing past row 12 is impossible. Journe hears a faint noise, that sounds like scrabbling and scraping coming from the ground itself. A grayish, decayed arm bursts forth and a body soon follows, clawing its way from the earth itself.

"Unnh...." the pitiful moan of a zombie reaches your ears, as the rusty chainmail clings to his body.

Initiative please, Zombie is on the ground and Flat Footed first round.

|A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|J|K|L|M|N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|V|W|X|Y |Z
3|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-| |-|-|-|G|G|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|-|
6| | | | | |Z| |J| | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | |

Z- Zombie
T- Tombstone
G- Gate
-- Fence
J- Journe De La Crux

Dresil
2010-11-08, 08:51 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Scoot
2010-11-08, 10:20 PM
Affe

Rolls:
[roll0]
I'll save any comments for my turn.

Toptomcat
2010-11-08, 11:52 PM
William Judge
Initiative: [roll0]
Suggestion: as a time-saving PbP measure, next combat roll initiative for all participants in your own post.

Archdeacon GX
2010-11-09, 12:03 AM
Isaiah

EDIT: Wow. Not the best check to get a nat 20 on, but I'm not complaining.

Dresil
2010-11-09, 11:10 AM
(Good idea Toptomcat, I'll remember that for next battle.)

Initiative is as so far:

Isaiah
William Judge
Bugbear Zombie
Affe
Zeek
???
Journe

Waiting on Initiative from Zeek and Alexis. To speed this along, just post your combat actions for the round, and it will resolve in initiative order.

Chambers
2010-11-09, 11:23 AM
Journe

"Stand back!" Journe shouts as the zombie climbs its way out of the earth. He squints at it in the moonlight. "Ah...some kind of unfortunate bugbear, brought back to unlife." He says. He snaps his fingers and a glowing shield of force appears in between him and the zombie. "We will grant you final rest." Stepping forward he slashes at the zombie with his greatsword.

Cast Shield (Free Action from Swift Abjuration).
5ft step.
Full Attack, Power Attack for 2.
Knowledge: Devotion +2 Atk/Dmg.

Attack 1 [roll0]
Damage [roll1]

Attack 2 [roll2]
Damage [roll3]

HP 88
AC 30
F/R/W +8/+6/+9

Archdeacon GX
2010-11-09, 04:38 PM
Isaiah

As the undead creature claws its way out of the soil, Isaiah rapidly throws aside his cloak to reach for his crossbow, whipping it out and aiming with a trained eye at the former bugbear. He doesn't fire just yet, instead tensing his finger on the trigger, waiting for the right moment.

Move Action: Draw Weapon
Readying an Attack action against the Zombie, to be triggered when it attacks.

neoseph7
2010-11-09, 05:28 PM
Zeek Flarnock Jr.

Zeek Will fly to and hover at I5

I spy with my little eye... something that needs to die. Again.

A bolt of brilliant scarlet flies from Zeeks hands and scorches the Zombie hits the fence in the opposite direction.

W/in 30ft of Zombie @ E-6, firing a brimstone blast
Ranged Touch Attack [roll1] :sigh: Nat one
Damage: [roll2] fire damage.

Brimestone Blast: Reflex DC 19 or catch fire dealing 2d6 damage per round for 2 rounds after initial attack.

whoiam
2010-11-09, 07:06 PM
[roll0]
Alexis makes her way to G5, spear in hand. "How... minor. Barely worth using weapons for, let alone magic!"

[roll1]
[roll2]
Move action to get to G5, standard action to stab once. Unless she counts as being (roughly) in place before the start of the round, in which case:
[roll3]
[roll4]

Scoot
2010-11-09, 07:52 PM
Affe

This dead, need be more dead

Affe bounds to the zombie, wherever there is room, swinging out his hammer along the way. (I think E7 is good)

If it is still standing, he attempts to pound it into oblivion.

Attack[roll0]
Damage[roll1]
2-Handed Maul, going for a smack

Toptomcat
2010-11-09, 09:29 PM
Of course, for something as simple as a zombie, an elemental makes for a fine backup summon.
Will moves to put a tombstone between himself and the shambling creature, and calls up an elemental to flank with Journe and Affe. It takes but a moment's concentration to call up a miniature hillock from the grave dirt at the goblinoid's feet, one that swiftly grows arms and legs and winds up for a ponderous swing at the undead bugbear's ankles.

Move to E10 as move action, summon Small earth elemental at D5. A +2 flanking bonus will thus apply to both Journe's and Affe's attacks, assuming the zombie doesn't choose to move. As a mindless creature it will probably choose to attack the last thing to attack it, which will be the elemental by its init.
Earth elemental's attack (Earth Mastery applies): [roll0]
Earth elemental damage (Earth Mastery applies): [roll1]
Elemental AC: 17 HP: 17

Dresil
2010-11-10, 10:02 AM
The zombie would have took his turn standing up, and between the whole lot of you beating on it I'd safely call it dead. Again.

The zombie crumples to the ground and remains still. Casting your glance to the south, one can easily see a skeleton wrapped in decaying mage's robes, flying about 40 feet off the ground. He cackles and calls out in a horriffic voice, "Good, but you have only begun my Tomb's delights!" He fires off a thin green line of magic, but it lands harmlessly somewhere between William and his elemental.

Toptomcat
2010-11-10, 01:55 PM
William Judge
Will is distinctly unimpressed. You don't become a lich unless you're terrified of death, and it's not the act of someone who fears death to pop out of their insanely well-protected tomb and personally taunt the combat-ready maniacs who have come to loot it at the first available opportunity. He waves jauntily.

"Hi! Can I talk to you through that thing, or am I looking at a Programmed Image here?"
Will save for disbelief: [roll0]

Dresil
2010-11-10, 02:12 PM
William Judge
Will is distinctly unimpressed. You don't become a lich unless you're terrified of death, and it's not the act of someone who fears death to pop out of their insanely well-protected tomb and personally taunt the combat-ready maniacs who have come to loot it at the first available opportunity. He waves jauntily.

"Hi! Can I talk to you through that thing, or am I looking at a Programmed Image here?"
Will save for disbelief: [roll0]

Good call, you can practically see the arcane power cord running this thing. The false lich fires a few more Disintegrate rays randomly, and you can't help but notice nothing it hits turns to ash.

500 XP awarded to all of you.

Toptomcat
2010-11-10, 10:48 PM
William Judge
William watches the flying quasi-Acerak for a little while, entertained by its cheesy quips and the erratic way it swoops around. He gets bored of it around the third "Your doom is here!" and turns his attention back to the matter at hand.

"All right, let's keep moving. Goodness knows what other defenders of this place that thing is alerting."

Dresil
2010-11-11, 11:05 AM
The only true way to go is south, as the west and east are sectioned off by the iron fence. The hill rises off the ground, like a boil on the face of the earth itself.

The north side of the cliff is fronted by a 25 foot high cliff, and amidst the rocky wall you can clearly see three alcoves about 10 feet wide a piece.

There is a stench of mold and rot coming from the hill itself, and as you walk you can't help but notice the rusty swords and ancient arrows that litter your approach.

The mist itself seems to come from the entrances, but the presence of magic is absent, almost as if the cemetery itself is breathing its chilled air upon you.

Toptomcat
2010-11-11, 01:30 PM
William Judge
"Hmmm. All this debris could easily be hiding something nasty. It wouldn't have to be anything elaborate or magical, either- one well-placed line of punji stakes could ruin our whole day. Just a moment, please."

William snaps his fingers, summoning an earth elemental to sweep a path to the entrances clean of rusty swords, arrows, and similar impediments. Following that, he calls up a fire elemental at the mouth of each entrance to peer in and report on what it finds, while he stays safely tucked between the alcoves, shielded from whatever nastiness may come boiling out of the entrances.

Archdeacon GX
2010-11-11, 04:52 PM
Isaiah

The marksman rubs his chin thoughtfully, looking carefully around the area. the summoner could easily be right, the path ahead could most certainly be trapped. Following that theory, he crouches down as the elemental appears and surveys the place, looking closely for any noticeable triggers, covered pits, or other such booby-traps.

Search: [roll0]

Dresil
2010-11-11, 06:19 PM
Entrance A

Two seperate doors are at the end of this 60 foot corridor. The stone walls are 20 feet apart from one another and adorned with a skull motif. The ceiling is only ten feet high and a pair of torches hang eerily silent and cold on the walls near the two doors. Underneath the skull framework is a inscription of some sort. Those of you that can read Draconic can understand it.

Draconic

Acererak's Realm

Entrance B

The roughly worked, plain stone corridor is full of cobwebs and dust. It looks like it has been quite some time since the last party entered the tomb. The roof is 20 feet high here and 20 feet wide. At the end of a 30 foot corridor, a set of double oaken doors are visible.

The entrance is adorned with the face of a cackling demon's face and strangely enough, ornate gold leafed flowers. The pattern seems to be laid into the frame and sparkles in the elemental's light.

Entrance C
Brilliant colors are everywhere, and quite out of place for a lich's tomb. Pigments painted on the stone are left undimmed by the passage of the decades long since any artist has graced this hall. The floor is a colorful mosiac, featuring a distinct, winding path of blood-red tiles forming a 2 foot wide meandering trail down the corridor.

A few chips and gaps reveal that cement provides a cover for the underlying stonework, and it provides a smooth surface for many illustrated scenes. Here too the walkway is 20 feet wide all together and the ceiling hangs 20 feet above your heads.

Your elemental scout reports no strange sight or sound, and Isaiah discovers in the front of Entrance A someone has left caltrops on the ground about five feet into the entrance.

Map

1|X|X|X| | | | |X|X|X|X|X| | | | |X|X|X|X| | | |R|X|X
2|X|X|X|C|C|C|C|X|X|X|X|X| | | | |X|X|X|X| | |R| |X|X
3|X|X|X| | | | |X|X|X|X|X| | | | |X|X|X|X| |R|R| |X|X
4|X|X|X| | | | |X|X|X|X|X| | | | |X|X|X|X| |R| | |X|X
5|X|X|X| | | | |X|X|X|X|X| | | | |X|X|X|X|R|R| | |X|X
6|X|X|X| | | | |X|X|X|X|X| |D|D| |X|X|X|X|R| | | |X|X
7|X|X|X| | | | |X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X| |R| | |X|X
8|X|X|X| | | | |X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X| |R| | |X|X
9|X|X|X| | | | |X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X| | |R| |X|X
10|X|X|X| | | | |X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X| | |R| |X|X
11|X|X|X| | | | |X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X| |R| | |X|X
12|X|X|X| |D|D| |X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X| |R|R| |X|X
13|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X| |R| | |X|X
14|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X| | |R|R|X|X
15|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X| | | |R|X|X
16|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X| | |R| |X|X
17|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X| |R| | |X|X
18|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|R| | | |X|X
19|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|R|R| | |X|X
20|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X| | |R| |X|X
21|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X| | | |R|X|X
22|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X| | |R| |X|X
23|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X| |R|R| |X|X
24|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X| |R|R|R|X|X
25|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X| |R| | |X|X
26|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X| |R| | |X|X[/table]

Key:
X- Stone Wall
D- Door
R- Red Tile Path
C- Caltrops

Chambers
2010-11-11, 06:23 PM
Journe

"Well said, William!" Journe says, moving up and swiping his sword through the image. "We must guard our minds as well our bodies. Hmmm." He looks at the three entrances. "Which one do you suppose we should choose?"

The Shield lasts for 18 minutes.

Archdeacon GX
2010-11-11, 06:46 PM
Isaiah

Pointing out the caltrops on the floor in Entrance A, Isaiah speaks up for the first time since they arrived. "There's traps alright. I wouldn't be surprised if there's more in the other entrances, but I haven't found anything."

Toptomcat
2010-11-11, 06:53 PM
William Judge
William strokes his chin thoughtfully.
"The first entrance strikes me as in keeping with our expectations. It fits the aesthetic of this place admirably: my initial hypothesis is that it leads into the Tomb proper, where our ultimate goal awaits. Incidentally, it also represents our first, albiet minor, find of treasure for the evening: those torches are obviously magical, probably standard everburning torches, which fetch a decent market price. The caltrops can be collected and claimed as treasure as well.

The second entrance is most likely a trap of some kind. The state of disuse it lies in means that not even the undead denizens of this place use it for comings and goings, and the ornate, finely-worked door would serve to attract petty thieves. But we are no ordinary thieves: we are adventurers, which means that we are heavily-armed and highly trained thieves. My impulse is to have one of my elementals open the door and spring the trap, then take it off its hinges to sell it as an object d'art or at least for the value of the gold leaf. The trap may, however, prove destructive to the door: if you're feeling up to it, Isaiah, you might try to locate and disarm the trap instead.

The third entrance is something of a puzzle. Such brilliant colors are hardly in keeping with the stillness of the grave. Conceivably a third party could have moved into a disused wing of the tomb, though they would have to have a great deal of nerve. I want to get a closer look at the decorations, to see how recent they are and in what style they're done: their artistic style could give us a clue as to the racial or cultural identity of the interlopers. Thinking off the top of my head, the intricate stonework involved in putting a mosaic together suggests dwarves. The red path formed by the mosaic may be functional, though whether one has to stay on it or stay off it to avoid setting off a trap is unknowable. I propose that we investigate it first, again using my elemental scouts to test the stay on the path/stay off the path theory before venturing in ourselves- if there is a power group here other than Acererak or ourselves, their aid could be a valuable force multiplier. It's a shame that removing and reselling the mosaics in this corridor would require a team of stonemasons."

Archdeacon GX
2010-11-11, 07:11 PM
Isaiah

The marksman is writing in his journal again, apparently making a sketch of the area in addition to jotting his own thoughts.

It would seem the summoner is more interested in the spoils than the cause. May become a problem. Still unsure of others.

"Send the elementals in first. If there are any traps in the halls, then they're well-hidden," he says to William.

Scoot
2010-11-11, 08:05 PM
Affe

Affe stands silent, trying his best to digest William's words.

After a few moments, he appears to want to say something, but in stead goes to return his hammer to his back.

After a few more moments of silence, he comes to a conclusion.

He turns to the first entrance,
Why have two doors? This silly, not like smart man. One works good.

To the second,
Door too close, but big. Not safe, not smart. Too much cold come in when open.

To the third,
Not see door. Only see colors. Some sort of moo-ze-um. Not house.

And then back to the group, appearing somewhat satisfied with a large grin,
Not like any, but want see colors.

Toptomcat
2010-11-11, 10:13 PM
William Judge
"...succinctly put, Affe!"
Will stands at the mouth of the third entrance and concentrates momentarily: another earth elemental emerges from the dirt at his feet, a pair of loose red stones worn from the outer edge of the mosaic amusingly drifting through the elemental's body as it forms and ending up as little cosmetic 'eyes'. He sends the elemental 30' ahead, directing it to follow the path created by the red tiles, and observes the results. After that, he calls up another one and has it advance 30', this time entirely avoiding the tiles. The elementals are directed to hold their rocky 'arms' over their head in order to trigger any tripwires that may be set to a height that they could normally ignore, but still affect Will and his companions. Subsequently, he advances to the point proven safe thus far and repeats the process to advance the party another 30' down the hall until they reach the door or something extraordinary happens.

Dresil
2010-11-12, 02:42 AM
Your earth elemental is able to walk into the first 30' of the dungeon without a problem. However, soon afterwards, the small beast seems to take a wrong step, and with a hideously loud clunk a ten foot square pit trap is sprung. ((I'm guessing you really don't care if the elemental lives or dies, since you can summon them at will, but it you do, give me a DC 20 Reflex save.))

Trap Damage

[roll0] Fall Damage
[roll1] Spikes
[roll2] To hit
[roll3] Possible Spike Damage, 1d4 per spike +5

You can make out several different scenes in the walls. It ranges scenes calming and peaceful, like a cow grazing in a field, dark and macabre with the depiction of a corpse being surrounded by wolves.

Certain frescos are more focused and show rooms of some building. A library with many books and scrolls, a torture chamber, and a wizards work room. Chairs, tables, boxes, windows, boxes, chests, birds, bats, spiders, and more adorn the walls everywhere.

Isaiah and Alexis

You both notice after stepping a foot or two into the hall a message barely legible scribed on the mosaic tiles, reading in plain Common:

ACERERAK CONGRATULATES YOU ON YOUR POWERS OF OBSERVATION. SO MAKE OF THIS WHATEVER YOU WISH, FOR YOU WILL BE MINE IN THE END NO MATTER WHAT!
Go back to the tormentor or through the arch,
and the second great hall you'll discover.
Shun green if you can, but night's a good color
is for those of great valor.
If shades of red stand for blood the wise
will not need sacrifice naught but a loop of
magical metal - you're well along your march.
Two pits along the way will be found to lead
to a fortuitous fall, so check the wall.
These keys and those are most important of all,
and beware the trembling hands and what will maul.
If you find the fall you find the true,
and into the columned hall you'll come
And there the throne that's key and keyed.
The iron men of visage grim do more than
meets the viewer's eye.
You've left and left and found my Tomb
and now your soul will die.

Map

8|X|X|X| | | | |X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|T|T| | |X|X
9|X|X|X| | | | |X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|T|T|R| |X|X
10|X|X|X| | | | |X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X| | |R| |X|X
11|X|X|X| | | | |X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X| |R| | |X|X
14|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X| | |R|R|X|X
15|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X| | | |R|X|X
18|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|R| | | |X|X
19|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|R|R| | |X|X
22|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X| | |R| |X|X
23|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X| |R|R| |X|X

Key:
X- Stone Wall
D- Door
R- Red Tile Path
C- Caltrops
T- Pit Trap

neoseph7
2010-11-12, 03:43 PM
Zeek Flarnock Jr.

Something feels... off. Exciting. I think I will stand watch for our backsides while you guys sort out which path to take. If you need a blast, give a yell.

Detecting magic, seeing invisible, darkvision, for anything out of the ordinary. For the tomb of a powerful lich.

Spot:[roll0]
Listen:[roll1]

Dresil
2010-11-12, 03:49 PM
Zeek Flarnock Jr.

Something feels... off. Exciting. I think I will stand watch for our backsides while you guys sort out which path to take. If you need a blast, give a yell.

Detecting magic, seeing invisible, darkvision, for anything out of the ordinary. For the tomb of a powerful lich.

Spot:[roll0]
Listen:[roll1]

You sense the presence of a strong aura at the end of this hallway. For a school of magic, make a Spellcraft check at DC 25.

Toptomcat
2010-11-12, 04:10 PM
William Judge
The elemental drops like a stone, ending up skewered by half a dozen spikes: it makes one feeble attempt to pull itself together before collapsing into a pile of pebbles. William is about to call up another when he notices that Isaiah and Alexis are distracted.
"What are you two looking at?"

Archdeacon GX
2010-11-12, 04:33 PM
Isaiah

Isaiah seems distracted indeed, copying the message into his journal as it seems important.

neoseph7
2010-11-12, 07:49 PM
You sense the presence of a strong aura at the end of this hallway. For a school of magic, make a Spellcraft check at DC 25.

Zeek Flarnock Jr.

Autofail!
Inteligence check: [roll0]

Huh. I think it's magical. Probably has something to do with spells...
I estimate a 10% chance it has something to do with... Evocation. Or conjuration. Or conjugation for that matter. Spelling maybe?

Toptomcat
2010-11-13, 02:01 PM
William Judge
"What is? Never mind, I'll take a look myself."
Warlocks!
William mumbles through a brief incantation and makes a practiced gesture, then squints intently in the direction Zeek is looking.

Spellcraft check: [roll0]

Dresil
2010-11-13, 03:00 PM
You can determine it is a Conjuration effect.

Toptomcat
2010-11-13, 03:15 PM
How is the aura shaped? How big is it?

Dresil
2010-11-13, 03:18 PM
It feels like its a large aura (at least 2 5' squares tall') and flat. You cannot really see much else without going further in.

Toptomcat
2010-11-13, 11:11 PM
William Judge
"Definitely conjuga-hem! conjuration. Something that covers an area...can't tell how big from here."
William briefly considers continuing to concentrate on the detect spell, but dismisses the idea and instead calls up a few more elementals and continues down the corridor in the same manner as before, stopping about twenty feet from where the aura begins.
"Try taking a look at it again, Zeek. Tell me the shape, how big it is, that kind of thing."

neoseph7
2010-11-14, 11:47 AM
Zeek Flarnock Jr.

Zeek Discribes the aura to the best of his (untrained) abilities to William. And then lights his cloak on fire for making a negative warlock statement. Readies an action to light on fire anything that pops out of the cave which may or may not be William fleeing in terror :smallbiggrin:

Chambers
2010-11-15, 11:41 PM
Journe

Following his companions down the corridor Journe keeps an eye out behind them. "Find anything...er, useful up there?"

I don't like the look of this place. He shakes his head and smiles a bit. Well...what'd you expect, it's a lichs tomb.

Dresil
2010-11-16, 02:37 AM
Waiting to hear from the quiet ones.

Archdeacon GX
2010-11-16, 04:10 PM
Isaiah

The marksman stands by in wait, letting the others make use of their talents where his own will not suffice.

Scoot
2010-11-16, 08:11 PM
Affe

Trying his best to remain patient, Affe begins to pace, with his eyes set intently on the newfound hole that sprung up before his eyes.

Magic men need hurry, want see in hole.

(OOC: Or are you guys entering? I'm confused if the elementals are just going or if William is in as well)

Dresil
2010-11-16, 08:59 PM
After a few more sprung traps, you can make out what looks like an archway of sorts. A section of the red tile leads to this stone archway, which is filled with mist. There are three large stones embedded in the arch, each a different hue - yellow on the lower left, blue at the top, and orange on the lower right.

Map

8|X|X|X| | | | |X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|T|T| | |X|X
9|X|X|X| | | | |X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|T|T|R| |X|X
10|X|X|X| | | | |X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X| | |T|T|X|X
11|X|X|X| | | | |X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X| |R|T|T|X|X
14|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X| |T|T|R|X|X
15|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X| |T|T|R|X|X
18|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|R| |T|T|X|X
19|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|R|R|T|T |X|X
22|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|T|T|R| |X|X
23|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|X|T|T|R| |X|X

Key:
X- Stone Wall
D- Door
R- Red Tile Path
C- Caltrops
T- Pit Trap

neoseph7
2010-11-16, 09:04 PM
Zeek Flarnock Jr.

Tired of being silent (and reading through his QC collection), Zeek will (from a distance) fire a flaming burst of eldritch energy at the Doors in 12E/12F.

Hovering at 1E.

Dresil
2010-11-16, 10:40 PM
Nothing seems to happen to the doors.

Toptomcat
2010-11-17, 02:22 PM
William Judge
Nothing at all- not even glowing momentarily with heat that quickly dissipates?
If so, William hucks a pebble at the doors and stares hard at them.
Disbelieve: [roll0]

Dresil
2010-11-17, 02:51 PM
The pebble hits the door with a light *tink* and clatters to the ground. Its pretty door-like to you.

Toptomcat
2010-11-17, 03:15 PM
William Judge
"We're hitting two of the demon's milestones here- a group of three and large rocks overhead that may fall to kill us. Hmmmm..."
William backtracks (being careful to stick to a previously-established safe path) and examines the scenes on the walls and the floor, trying to work out if any of the scenes on the walls are done in colors that correspond to those on the archway, and if they share any discernibly common themes.

(Remember, neither Isaiah nor Alexis has told Will about what they saw yet.)

Archdeacon GX
2010-11-17, 04:26 PM
Isaiah

As William backtracks out of the hall, Isaiah hands him a piece of paper from his journal with the transcribed message on it. "This was written on the wall."

ACERERAK CONGRATULATES YOU ON YOUR POWERS OF OBSERVATION. SO MAKE OF THIS WHATEVER YOU WISH, FOR YOU WILL BE MINE IN THE END NO MATTER WHAT!
Go back to the tormentor or through the arch,
and the second great hall you'll discover.
Shun green if you can, but night's a good color
is for those of great valor.
If shades of red stand for blood the wise
will not need sacrifice naught but a loop of
magical metal - you're well along your march.
Two pits along the way will be found to lead
to a fortuitous fall, so check the wall.
These keys and those are most important of all,
and beware the trembling hands and what will maul.
If you find the fall you find the true,
and into the columned hall you'll come
And there the throne that's key and keyed.
The iron men of visage grim do more than
meets the viewer's eye.
You've left and left and found my Tomb
and now your soul will die.

Dresil
2010-11-17, 05:54 PM
On the western wall of this hallway there is a painting of a torture chamber. This portion of the fresco illustrates a heavy, iron door that evidently confines some sort of horrid creature (Its clawed and scaled hands grasp at the bars of the window in the door) that can be loosed to torment prisoners.

A few feet north of the torture creature, two jackal-headed human figures are depicted standing in the workroom of a wizard, and they are holding a bronze chest, which is quite real, protruding slightly into the corridor. The chest is hinged at the bottom, so that its lid swings down.

Toptomcat
2010-11-17, 08:34 PM
William Judge
"I, uh...Huh. Remind me never to write poetry- everything I've ever read by any of my colleagues in the arcane arts has been absolutely dreadful, goodness knows why. It is kind of an unforgiving genre- you have to give just enough of a hint to give 'em a chance while still making it tough, maintaining meter and rhyme all the way- but Acererak has really made a dog's breakfast of this one. Regardless.
The 'tormentor' is being presented as an alternative to going through the arch... Isaiah, could you check that torture-chamber painting on the wall? The iron door in particular, that strikes me as a nice place to hide a secret door if someone thinks they're being Mister Clever.
We haven't run into any significant instances of green or any color that could reasonably be construed as representing 'night'- black, navy blue, all that kind of thing. So that couplet's a moot point for now.
The bit about red and a loop of magical metal is a bit too puzzling for me to pick apart for the moment. Perhaps the loop refers to the material component for a spell that needs to be cast on something red that's obviously representative of blood?
The next part is mercifully straightforward: two of the pit traps we encounter- or have already encountered- will be somehow fortunate, and in fact important, for those who fall in them. Possibly they will lead to the columned hall with a throne in it that was alluded to. We should backtrack and check the pit traps we've discovered so far. Really, we should make a general practice of that- even pit traps Acererak didn't build to be beneficial false traps could include a useful item among the personal effects of some unlucky soul who perished there, or perhaps could contain a salvageable dose of poison which could be repurposed or resold.
We haven't encountered any keys or any effect that would cause trembling hands, so we should keep a lookout for either of them...and it seems fairly clear that we're intended to somehow apply those keys to the throne when we do find them.
Beyond that, keep a lookout for iron statues- presumably iron golems, which is a disquieting thought- and keep in mind that Acererak's tomb proper will be found after two consecutive left turns. Possibly the entrance is trapped with some kind of life-draining effect, but the line about the soul dying could also mean that the lich himself favors such spells."

Archdeacon GX
2010-11-18, 05:59 PM
Isaiah

The marksman nods thoughtfully as William gives his analysis, and sets to work even as the conjurer speaks. Moving carefully through the hall, he searches the place closely in all the places suggested, in addition to the chest protruding from the wall, though he takes care not to touch it. He also pipes up to suggest, "Loop of magical metal; perhaps a ring?"

[roll0]

Dresil
2010-11-18, 06:36 PM
You notice on the chest a release stud, that is designed quite curiously. It looks like a simple button release, but the button itself has a long, thin, metal needle in the center of it.

Scoot
2010-11-18, 07:07 PM
Affe

As soon as he hears William mention "pit trap", Affe springs forward.

Affe got this!

Trying his best to stay on the red path, Affe makes his way to the pit, where he quickly guages whether or not he can climb down it, and then does so.

If he can get a good hold, he'll then take a moment to look down at the bottom.

Take 10 on Climb for a 36 to see if I can get a hold. Natural Climb speed of 40ft.

Dresil
2010-11-18, 07:47 PM
Which pit trap are you climbing down?

Archdeacon GX
2010-11-18, 08:22 PM
Isaiah

Reaching into his pack, Isaiah draws a lockpick out of his tool kit and uses it to press the button, so as to avoid the needle.

Scoot
2010-11-18, 08:48 PM
(Woa, where did we hit a second one? :S The one nearest the entrance. Sorry about that.)

Dresil
2010-11-18, 08:59 PM
Isaiah

The bottom of the chest swings open. If one were to get on the floor and look up, a rod of some sort seems wedged corner to corner at the top of the chest.

Affe
Okay, you are in the pit, make a search roll or whatever you wish.

Scoot
2010-11-19, 07:53 PM
Affe

Taking care not to prick himself, Affe begins to sift through the ground around the spikes.
It's been awhile since he's had a good bone to gnaw, and this looks like as good a place as any to find one.

Search[roll0] Looking for anything of interest.

Toptomcat
2010-11-19, 09:00 PM
William Judge
Sensing that Isaiah might need some light- the interior of a chest open only on the bottom must be pretty murky- Will plucks his improvised ioun stone light out of the air and holds it to illuminate the interior.

Archdeacon GX
2010-11-19, 09:51 PM
Isaiah

The marksman bends down to look inside, and announces his find. "Some sort of wand or baton. Not my field. You want to take a gander at it?"

Toptomcat
2010-11-19, 10:22 PM
William Judge
Will bends down and has his look.
"Umm. Looks like it could be a lever to me. Which is your department. Wand, baton, or lever, though, the only way we're going to find out what it does is this."
He reaches into his backpack to retrieve a rope- ties it tightly around the center of the rod- then stands back up, a slim silk rope leading into the chest in one hand.
"I'm going to try to pull it out- if a baton or wand- or down- if a lever- but either way I don't want to be close to it when I do it. This place is just too trap-happy."
He feeds the rope out to about fifteen feet, then tugs it lightly to ensure it hasn't gotten caught on anything.
"That ought to be far enough. Get behind me, would you?"
Once his companions have taken as much distance as he has, William sharply tugs the rope.

Dresil
2010-11-19, 10:37 PM
With the sharp angle from the edge of the chest, there does not seem to be enough raw strength to pull the bar out, or it could just be stuck there fairly tightly.

Affe, you find a large femur of some poor fool who fell in here ages ago, it looks like there are bite marks on the bone already.

Toptomcat
2010-11-19, 11:00 PM
William Judge
"...huh."
William wraps the rope around his wrists and gives it another few full-body tugs before letting go. If that doesn't work, he goes back and takes a closer look at the bar with the help of his handheld ioun-light- seeing exactly what it's made of, if there's anything behind it, if on closer inspection it's built into the chest, all that jazz.
Taking 10 on a Search check if neccesary for 15.

Dresil
2010-11-20, 12:25 AM
You can faintly make out the word 'laboratory' carved into the bar.

Toptomcat
2010-11-20, 12:44 AM
Is it attached to the top of the chest like a lever, or independent from it but merely firmly stuck? Does it respond to types of manipulation other than pulling straight down at the center- tugs at the ends, attempts at rotation or twisting?

Dresil
2010-11-20, 11:09 AM
Its attached to the top.

Archdeacon GX
2010-11-20, 01:10 PM
Isaiah

"Why not have one of your elementals do it?" Isaiah suggests.

Toptomcat
2010-11-20, 05:34 PM
William Judge
"I suppose."
The mage retreats to the same distance, calls up an earth elemental underneath the chest, and directs it to haul on the bar.

Dresil
2010-11-20, 06:00 PM
Unfortunately, fifteen feet was not big enough of a distance for this trap. The lever pulls down with an ominous click and the ground beneath your feet falls away, opening up into a 20 foot square pit, that takes up the whole hallway, and also opens into part of the pit Affe is scrounging around in.

Reflex Saves from all of you to avoid a 10' fall for [roll0] damage.

As well as
Isaiah
[roll1] spikes that hit at [roll2] for [roll3] 1d5 +5 damage per spike. Next make a Fort save in case you do fall into the trap versus poison on the spikes for [roll4] Con damage.

Alexis
[roll5] spikes that hit at [roll6] for [roll7] 1d5 +5 damage per spike. Next make a Fort save in case you do fall into the trap versus poison on the spikes for [roll8] Con damage.

William
[roll9] spikes that hit at [roll10] for [roll11] 1d5 +5 damage per spike. Next make a Fort save in case you do fall into the trap versus poison on the spikes for [roll12] Con damage.

Journe
[roll13] spikes that hit at [roll14] for [roll15] 1d5 +5 damage per spike. Next make a Fort save in case you do fall into the trap versus poison on the spikes for [roll16] Con damage.

Zeek is off in another tunnel altogether, fiddling with doors by himself.

Affe takes [roll17]damage from falling rocks and debris.

I'm assuming you all are standing next to Isaiah and William when this happens, since no one but Affe and Zeek stated if they were wandering off.

Toptomcat
2010-11-20, 06:19 PM
William Judge
"I HATE THIS PLACE ALREADY!"
Reflex save: [roll0]

Archdeacon GX
2010-11-20, 07:03 PM
Reflex Saves from all of you to avoid a 10' fall for [roll0] damage.

As well as
Isaiah
[roll1] spikes that hit at [roll2] for [roll3] 1d5 +5 damage per spike. Next make a Fort save in case you do fall into the trap versus poison on the spikes for [roll4] Con damage.

Reflex [roll0]
Fort [roll1]

Isaiah
Thinks to himself, AAIIEEEE

Toptomcat
2010-11-20, 08:12 PM
Whups. Addendum, Fort save: [roll0]

neoseph7
2010-11-20, 08:47 PM
Zeek Flarnock Jr.

Zeek thinks he can hear the screaming of his comrades off in the distance, but just shrugs it off as a trick of the wind. The door doesn't do anything to his fiery beam, so he flies back out and heads toward the middle tunnel to see what everyone else is up to.
Flying to the new tarp location. Upon seeing the new pit trap, Zeek will fly to the nearest ally and offer his assistance.

Are you guys ok?

Scoot
2010-11-22, 01:37 PM
Affe

Having already begun to chew on his newfound prize, Affe struggles to keep from choking as his head is smashed by the falling ground.

Any anger this may have caused instantly vanishes as he notices his comrades among the spikes. He rushes over to them.

Need help?

Dresil
2010-11-23, 12:48 PM
Sorry, Reflex DC is 20

Archdeacon GX
2010-11-23, 05:43 PM
Isaiah

Grunting in pain, the marksman slowly stands up, very thankful for his armor preventing the spikes from fully impaling him. "Ugh...next time let's try triggering traps from another room entirely."

52 HP remaining, don't know if I hit the DC for the Fort save or not.

Dresil
2010-11-23, 09:26 PM
You made the Fort save

Toptomcat
2010-11-27, 12:53 AM
Willam Judge
"Aaaargh."
William slowly peels himself off the floor, wincing at the slurping sound the spike trapped in his thigh makes. He hops unevenly to his feet.
"Ah, yes, Affe. Just a moment."
He whistles up an air elemental to untie the rope from its place- still tied to the lever- and hand it up to Affe.
"Help pull me out, would you?"

Scoot
2010-11-27, 10:00 PM
Affe

Still sucking on his bone, Affe loops the rope around his foot, and climbs out of the pit, taking care to once again position himself on the red path when he emerges.

When he gets out, he then returns the rope to his hand, loops it around his knuckles, and lowers the rest back in to the pit.

Affe ready when you are!

On a 10, I have 18 on a STR check. 26 STR.
If that's no good, I'll roll. (Or however you want to do it)

Dresil
2010-11-27, 11:16 PM
You can easily pull them up one at a time.

Toptomcat
2010-11-30, 12:03 PM
William Judge
"Alexis, do you have anything for poison? I'm feeling a disturbing burning sensation from that wound on my thigh..."

whoiam
2010-11-30, 05:49 PM
Let's see how much of this I can get right...

[roll0]
[roll1]

If I fail the DC20 Reflex save I take 1+20+25 damage.
If I fail the DC? Fort save I take 2 CON damage.

"For poison? Sure. One neutralise poison spell. Want to place bets on who gets it?"

Dresil
2010-11-30, 06:48 PM
Let's see how much of this I can get right...

[roll0]
[roll1]

If I fail the DC20 Reflex save I take 1+20+25 damage.
If I fail the DC? Fort save I take 2 CON damage.

"For poison? Sure. One neutralise poison spell. Want to place bets on who gets it?"

Both saves failed.

Toptomcat
2010-12-03, 12:02 PM
William Judge
"...well, I didn't want to be the one to say it, but I think it might be a good idea to make camp for the night. More than half of us were hit pretty bad by that trap, and I don't want any of the threats here to catch us at less than our best- we need to recover."
William fishes about in his pack for a moment, coming up with a pair of glass vials with a pale green liquid in them. He unstoppers one and swigs it, then holds out the other to Isaiah.
"Do you think you'll be needing some antitoxin, or will you be all right?"

Archdeacon GX
2010-12-03, 04:39 PM
Isaiah

The marksman brushes a few cobwebs from his coat and shakes his head, replying, "I don't seem to have been affected by the poison. But you're right, we should make a stop for the night. Could set up some defensive positions along the halls in case something comes out."

Dresil
2010-12-04, 02:35 AM
DC 20 needed for secondary posion damage needed.

whoiam
2010-12-05, 12:04 PM
Alexis
Once they had been pulled out of the pit, Alexis started tending to her own wounds.

Neutralise Poison and Cure Critical wounds [roll0] (Death Ward) for herself

"Well, find a spot you like. If we are to rest, we may as well get started."

Toptomcat
2010-12-05, 01:16 PM
[roll0]

William Judge
"Actually, that won't be necessary. I've finally figured out how to sustain that weird extradimensional hidey-hole spell long enough to get a good night's sleep. Not the most comfortable place to do so, but very secure."
He spools out a ten-foot length of rope from his pack, cuts it off, then tosses it into the air with a muttered phrase while tossing a handful of powder into the air. Improbably, it sticks there as if it had been nailed in midair- William gives it a few tugs to be sure.

"There is one thing I still haven't really managed to fix. Don't carry an active bag of holding or similar effect into it. That would be...bad. They have to be completely empty."

He shrugs off his pack, opens it, and turns it upside-down: an incredible collection of miscellany cascades from it, far more than it could reasonably hold. A big coil of rope, books, potions, vials, full waterskins, mysterious boxes, a mirror, rations, vials, a huge portable ram itself longer than the pack is wide, and innumerable other knickknacks form a big pile. William climbs up the rope and vanishes entirely when he reaches the top: a moment later, he sticks his head out and calls up an air elemental, which carries his things up to the top of the rope. They vanish similarly.

"C'mon up. Once everyone's here I can pull the rope up and we'll all be perfectly safe."

The space created by William's spell is an unnerving one- apparently a perfectly white, radiant, and absolutely featureless plane stretching to horizon to horizon. However, attempting to walk more than a few yards makes the existence of an invisible barrier evident. It's simultaneously vast beyond imagining and cramped.

Dresil
2010-12-05, 01:50 PM
Inexplicably a rubber chicken had gotten into your bag at some point in time as well.

neoseph7
2010-12-05, 01:56 PM
Zeek Flarnock Jr.

Zeek grabs the rubber chicken and begins stretching it out to make all sorts of weird noises.

If you guys are going to nap, I'll hover about and stand (float?) first watch. As long as I get to keep the chicken.

Boing.

Toptomcat
2010-12-05, 02:27 PM
William Judge
How did that get there...?
"Okay, the chicken's all yours. Don't float outside of the Rope Trick, though- just watch the window to the outside. That way we'll all be invisible and very nearly unreachable."

Archdeacon GX
2010-12-05, 02:28 PM
Isaiah

Carrying no bag of holding himself, the marksman climbs up the rope as well. Once safely inside the extradimensional space, he looks around. "I will never understand magic, I fear."

neoseph7
2010-12-05, 02:45 PM
Isaiah

Carrying no bag of holding himself, the marksman climbs up the rope as well. Once safely inside the extradimensional space, he looks around. "I will never understand magic, I fear."

Zeek Flarnock Jr.

I sat through a class once. Something about "operational amplification" and "infinite impedance" using what I could only describe as magic doritoes. A more boring and dull experience I have never suffered. Why, if it had not been for the young lady I was to have as a... tutor, I don't think I would have faired more than two minutes. Heh heh heh.

Zeek will fly up into the rope trick and watch out the window for anything, especially invisible.

Toptomcat
2010-12-05, 02:54 PM
William Judge
"That's all right. The only thing you need to understand about this space is this: it will only last for eight hours. So if we're going to rest, we've got to get to it."
And with that, he tucks himself into his bedroll and is out like a light.

Scoot
2010-12-05, 04:50 PM
Affe

Not entirely sure what the mage had just done, Affe decides to follow the leader, and climbs up the rope as well.

Once inside, he slips out of his chain shirt, fluffs it up, and then proceeds to curl up and use it as a pillow.

His snoring begins immediately.

Dresil
2010-12-07, 10:28 AM
The night is eerie, watching the dungeon from another world like you are. Almost as if you were scrying on it.

First along the wall of the trap you notice [roll0] 2 instances of light, one orange like fire, then one red.

About three hours later what looks like the picture of Good starts walking down the hall. Four stalwart paladins in gleaming platemail march single file down the hallway, around your sprung traps, and disappear as they move out of sight.

whoiam
2010-12-07, 01:27 PM
Alexis
Having concluded that going somewhere safe and burning through her healing spells is preferable to trying to heal while still potentially in danger, Alexis follows the others up the rope and out of danger.

If you're short a lot of health, could you tell me your current HP value? If you're all just a little scratched, we probably don't need to bother rolling out all the spontaneous cures

Toptomcat
2010-12-08, 12:14 AM
William Judge
(I'm fine for HP damage on a night's rest: it's the Con damage I really wanted to ameliorate...)
"Zhnrrrrr..."
William dreams of hoodwinked fiends and improbably complex summoning diagrams.
(I think Zeek is the only one able to react to the moving wall paintings, since he's on watch.)

neoseph7
2010-12-11, 07:58 AM
Zeek Flarnock Jr.

Zeek sits around for several hours playing with his rubber chicken. He notices the marching demonstration of uptightness. I wonder if their slaughter is something we can sell tickets to. Hmmm. He then returns to his chicken. Should his teammates ask him to what he was referring to, he will mention that what was in all likelyhood an illusion, walked past the party's dimensional fort and took a bend up ahead.

Dresil
2010-12-11, 11:20 AM
If anyone else wants to do anything, then morning comes.

Toptomcat
2010-12-13, 12:42 AM
William Judge
Will is among the last to awaken, scrambling out of the extradimensional space only moments before it collapses and dumps his stuff in a heap. Casters need their sleep, after all. It takes him an hour to comb through his spellbook and get everything firmly memorized: when he finally manages it, he stands up, stretches, and speaks up cheerily.
"Well, where to now? Do we keep forging our way down this hallway or try to find some new and interesting death traps somewhere else?"

Scoot
2010-12-13, 09:44 PM
Affe

Refreshed by a full night's sleep, Affe does a few stretches before donning his armor, and smiles as he does so.

Affe good for anything!

Archdeacon GX
2010-12-13, 09:51 PM
Isaiah

Getting himself situated for the day, the marksman doesn't say much, instead taking time to begin a new entry in his journal.