PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Did WotC do it again?

herrhauptmann
2010-11-04, 12:33 AM
What is 'it' you ask?
Well by 'it,' I refer to a sample NPC who does not meet the prereqs for his prestige classes.
In this case, I was looking at deepstone sentinel for a gestalt character. Now Deepstone requires 13 ranks in balance, and +10 BAB. The sample character has 10 levels in fighter. Now correct me if I'm wrong, but balance is cross class for a fighter, so he couldn't get 13 ranks until he's put 26 skill points into it, which would require 23 levels.

Is there an errata which I should download somewhere that fixes all this?

Also, is it just my imagination, or is the maneuver/stances chart for the deepstone sentinel looking a little wonky?

Thurbane
2010-11-04, 12:57 AM
To be honest, there are almost as many sample NPCs that don't meet prereqs in WotC books as those that do. Slight exaggeration, but there really are a lot.

Quellian-dyrae
2010-11-04, 01:00 AM
He took Martial Study for Stone Dragon maneuvers. That gives him Balance as a class skill, so I think they're right on this one.

KillianHawkeye
2010-11-04, 06:14 AM
There is no errata for ToB. Or rather, there is, but it's not the errata you're looking for.

Eldan
2010-11-04, 06:46 AM
There is no errata for ToB. Or rather, there is, but it's not the errata you're looking for.

*Jedi Gesture*

It is the errata you are looking for.

sonofzeal
2010-11-04, 07:16 AM
*Jedi Gesture*

There's got to be a bonus on the will save against something that implausible.

FMArthur
2010-11-04, 07:20 AM
He took Martial Study for Stone Dragon maneuvers. That gives him Balance as a class skill, so I think they're right on this one.

Yeah the Deepstone Sentinel example checks out for this. No errata required (and really, do they actually cover sample NPCs in errata?).

herrhauptmann
2010-11-04, 07:59 AM
Well I'll be. I knew it said somewhere something about gaining the associated skill for each discipline, but couldn't fnid it. But I wasn't looking at martial study, just the classes.

So the maneuver/stance known chart. Am I reading it correctly, that the DS gains 1 maneuver known at levels 1,3,5, and gains one extra stance known at level 3? And if I'm a warblade, I use the warblade recovery mechanic? Ditto for swordsage and crusader?

hamishspence
2010-11-04, 08:06 AM
While it's a great book, there are some moments when reading ToB when I find myself wondering "what were they thinking?!"

The Master of Nine has a lot of prerequisite feats. I'm not sure how the human Master of Nine gains enough feats within the levels listed, to take the class- no Flaws are mentioned.

The Crusader's stance advancement is very poor. Since you must take the stance when it opens up, and since it gains the last stance before its initiator level is high enough to take 8th level stances, as written, it can't take them without taking feats, or multiclassing, or something like that.

Zherog
2010-11-04, 08:54 AM
(and really, do they actually cover sample NPCs in errata?).

I can't recall WotC ever making a correction to a sample NPC. As I recall, their general philosophy for stuff that got into the errata doc was, "If the error makes the class/feat/spell/etc unplayable, we'll fix it. If it's a typo or math error, we're not going to take up space in the errata file."

BeholderSlayer
2010-11-04, 08:55 AM
I noticed this in Races of the Wild for the sample NPC Arcane Heirophant. IIRC he doesn't meet the BAB requirements.

herrhauptmann
2010-11-04, 10:20 AM
I can't recall WotC ever making a correction to a sample NPC. As I recall, their general philosophy for stuff that got into the errata doc was, "If the error makes the class/feat/spell/etc unplayable, we'll fix it. If it's a typo or math error, we're not going to take up space in the errata file."

Because we're back in the 90s when it was sometimes difficult to find hard drive space for a single word document, not in the 2000's where people maintain a library of 1 and 2 gig movies on their computers. Man, are they being lazy. (Oh yeah, that deepstone sentinel, it looks like his only skills went into balance. The guy can't even dress himself)

Currently looking at a gestalt game.
1 side of the build will be a homebrew class, which I'll take to level 20. The other half:
halfminotaur LA/warblade/stoneblessed3/deepwarden2/deepstone sentinel5. Why you ask? Because I've been wanting to play a half minotaur or ogre with levels in a dwarf or gnome only PrC.
Alternatively, lesser air genasi: my homebrew class// wizard5/swiftblade.

Oh well, just gotta make sure I've got his maneuver progression/recovery correct.

hiryuu
2010-11-04, 01:41 PM
The Crusader's stance advancement is very poor. Since you must take the stance when it opens up, and since it gains the last stance before its initiator level is high enough to take 8th level stances, as written, it can't take them without taking feats, or multiclassing, or something like that.

Word of God said the Warblade and Crusader stance lists were one level off when they were typing up the charts but the fix got lost on the way to the printers.

KillianHawkeye
2010-11-04, 05:10 PM
*Jedi Gesture*

HO HO HO HOOOO

Your Jedi mind tricks won't work on me, boy! /jabba