PDA

View Full Version : Warning: Your signature is too long

Yora
2010-11-04, 12:48 AM
I got (just another) warning, because supposedly my signature is too long at 12 lines.
But why?

Silence! We are talking moringstars.

The sword is very expensive and requires specialized knowledge to make. As such, if you could afford it, you were an important dude. Whereas if you could afford an axe or a spear, well, you were a dude.

LGBTitP (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167395)
Even if you count empty lines and consider that the largest quote takes up 3 lines, that makes 9 lines of text, not 13.
Why did I get a warning?

TheSummoner
2010-11-04, 12:53 AM
If I had to guess, I'd say the "Originally posted by" line also counts towards the total. Counting those and the blank lines, its exactly 12.

What if instead of using the quote tags, you just did something like...

"Silence! We are talking moringstars." ~Coplantor

"The sword is very expensive and requires specialized knowledge to make. As such, if you could afford it, you were an important dude. Whereas if you could afford an axe or a spear, well, you were a dude." ~Daosus

senrath
2010-11-04, 12:54 AM
That's actually longer than 12 lines. See here:
http://i56.tinypic.com/b489pw.jpg

SMEE
2010-11-04, 01:10 AM
The Rainbow Mod: As stated, the "originally posted by" count towards the total. The "quote:" lines also count towards the total, and using a bigger font will cause lines of text to be counted as more than one line.
With this answered, I'm closing this thread.

Rawhide
2010-11-04, 02:26 AM
To be even more specific, it is 12 lines of text or equivalent.

If all you have is 12 lines of text, then you are perfectly fine (be aware of text wrapping though!), but if you introduce other elements, such as quote boxes, the boxes are counted and need to be compared against what would normally be 12 lines. Again, if you use larger fonts than default, that counts for more than 1 line each.

P.S. The exact text wrapping distance is not specified in the rules, but is for typical sized monitors (on the lower end of the spectrum) that don't necessarily have the window maximised. Because it is not an explicitly defined width, we don't give a warning if you're just a bit over due to text wrapping, but we will ask you to change it and issue a warning if you don't.