PDA

View Full Version : Using slaadi in an Aliens-inspired game

Amiel
2010-11-04, 03:35 AM
So, I had this crazy thought for a Halloween-themed game. One that takes its creative liberties from the Aliens universe. It would involve a slaadi (or an equivalent creature; truthfully, I'm not particularly partial to the frog-creatures) invasion, specifically the seeding of slaadi embryos upon (un)suspecting hosts. Perhaps multiple embryos at the one time, I'm thinking Darwinian slaadi.

The premise is that the slaadi race is dying, with a lack of invigorating bodies adventuring to their spawning site, the slaadi must breach the veils between worlds and loose visitation upon the mortal coil.

Some mortals may collude with the violently random beings, while others will want to fight the good fight and strike their existence from the mortal worlds.

Thoughts, opinions, comments?

dsmiles
2010-11-04, 04:32 AM
Sounds cool.

Scarey Nerd
2010-11-04, 07:32 AM
I like this idea a lot, I've been tempted to run the same sort of thing using Kythons (BOVD) , borrowing from "Aliens" and Silverclawshift's horror journal :smalltongue:

I would defintely suggest that you include different forms, like the Dog-Alien from Alien^3. The Chaond are descended from Slaadi if I remember correctly, so the more human ones could have that template.

How horror-oriented would you want the campaign? If you want to really test the player's morality you could emphasise the fact that they're only doing this because they're coming close to extinction, so each one the party kills is essentially just a desperate creature trying to cling on that little bit longer.

[/$0.02]

TroubleBrewing
2010-11-04, 08:22 AM
I like this idea a lot, I've been tempted to run the same sort of thing using Kythons (BOVD)[/$0.02]

Ninja'd. I was totally going to supply a photo but now I'm NOT. Look what you've done. :smallannoyed:

Kidding. Seriously, though. Kythons. They're heck on toast. WHEAT toast.

awa
2010-11-04, 09:14 AM
i think slaad are a bit to random to have collaborators that are anything but completely insane themselves. slaad are beings of pure chaos. you could easily still use them as a horror monster but their is no point to collaborating with them also i don't thin people will feel to badly about wiping them out i think you will get more mileage focusing on the fact that they are completely unpredictable

dsmiles
2010-11-04, 09:27 AM
*raises hand*

I'd side with the Slaadi.

awa
2010-11-04, 11:17 AM
easy to say that here on the internet but i find it hard to believe you could side with a creature that could turn on you at literally any second for no reason because it is chaos incarnate.

now i suppose i could see some delusional people who believe the slaad will reward them for their actions (who then get killed or implanted the first time they see a slaad)

Scarey Nerd
2010-11-04, 11:20 AM
easy to say that here on the internet but i find it hard to believe you could side with a creature that could turn on you at literally any second for no reason because it is chaos incarnate.

now i suppose i could see some delusional people who believe the slaad will reward them for their actions (who then get killed or implanted the first time they see a slaad)

People side with the Daleks, hoping for reward, but the Daleks turned on them as soon as their side of the bargain is completed. People make stupid choices in fiction :smalltongue:

dsmiles
2010-11-04, 11:23 AM
People side with the Daleks, hoping for reward, but the Daleks turned on them as soon as their side of the bargain is completed. People make stupid choices in fiction :smalltongue:

Exactly. IC, my character may know nothing about their new Slaadi overlords.

Demonix
2010-11-04, 03:31 PM
Actually, it's been done; I recall a 2E adventure involving a slaad hatching from an adventurer who was not aware he had been infected; the slaad burst forth from the adventurer in an inn during a blizzard, and there was no escape. The module was for lower levels too, so they couldn't just kill it because they didnt have the gear, they had to use thier heads to trap/kill it before it grew.

I may have the dungeon magazine it was published in, I'll have to check when I get home.

Callos_DeTerran
2010-11-04, 05:00 PM
I also recommend the Kythons over the Slaadi. Just include an egg phase that requires a kython to place a largish amount of meat (saw about the size of a human being) by the egg for the hatchling to eat upon it's emergence and you have motivation and Alien-like behavior.

You may not have chest-burster-like action, but you still have the end result of 'egg hatch=someone is dying'.

true_shinken
2010-11-04, 07:26 PM
I did something similar in my games.
A vampire crime lord got a few slaadi loose in his town (protected by an anti-teleport effect) so that the population would have to choose between dying of slaad disease... or becoming vampires.

awa
2010-11-04, 10:04 PM
I could see it working in the short run or in a cthulu cultist kind of way where their killed as soon as the slaad appears. but i cant picture it any another way the slaad are just as likely to kill someone helping them as someone hindering them they wont wait till their usefulness is over because they are beings of pure chaos and logic does not apply to them.