PDA

View Full Version : [WoR] War of the Ring Revival?

Executor
2010-11-04, 02:11 PM
Hello all

I was recently reading over the old IC thread for War of the Ring, and remembering what a fun time I had with that RP, and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in reviving that RP? I'd be able to do some GMing for it, since my schedule, with the exception of work, is now freer than it used to be, though I would still appreciate it if I had another GM to partner up with, that way the both of us could participate in the game, and if one GM is busy with something, the entire game isn't put on hold.

We could start up where the old WoR left off, OR we could start anew. All depends on if there is enough interest to revive it, and what you guys want to do if we are going to revive it.

darkblade
2010-11-04, 04:30 PM
I'd like to play if there is enough interest. I'd offer to DM but I'm picking up the next Twilight Lynching game so not this time.

If interest isn't gathered Cracklord is doing another lynching game centered around the Inheritance Cycle and the Sword of Truth here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174535)

Executor
2010-11-04, 05:04 PM
Sounds interesting, but good to have you on board darkblade :smallsmile:

Cracklord
2010-11-04, 05:06 PM
I'm on board as well, of course. I can DM again if you want, though I'm getting to the stage I have too many irons in the fire, though with your assistance that shouldn't be too big an issue.

So is your computer fixed?

Executor
2010-11-04, 05:17 PM
It took me seven calls to tech support, and I had to format my hard drive twice, but yes, yes it is. And I gratefully accept your assistance for DMing :smallsmile: Hopefully, we can get a sort of DMing team of 2-4 good roleplayers together, so not too much pressure is put on any one person, and the game can always continue in the absence of one or two of the DMs.

Cracklord
2010-11-04, 05:28 PM
Great. I have a good idea of what I'd like to play:

The Black Company
http://images-eu.amazon.com/images/P/0575084170.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg
The eponymous Black Company are a band of mercenaries. A sense of entropy hangs over them: they are the last of the great companies, the Free Companies of Khatovar, (none of them have a clue where that is) their numbers are dwindling, new blood is rare, and they are none of them getting any younger. After Four Hundred years of history, they are at last looking at the end of the rope.
But there is always plenty of work for a small army, and they never find themselves out of work, though they never get rich either.
Most of them don't know each other by name, instead using pseudonyms, they are misfits and many are criminals or the like. Despite this, they have a close bond and are all willing to put their necks out for each other.

Now we'll start off with just a few at the sign of the Prancing Pony, and the rest can be camped somewhere else, looking for an employer.

Executor
2010-11-04, 07:37 PM
Very cool. I think I shall either bring back my Romans, or perhaps do something with a band of Crusader knights.

Falgorn
2010-11-04, 07:46 PM
I'm interested, but I need to find an idea for a medeival character.
Unless you'd be willing to except Luigi from the Mario series.
Or the Black Knight from Fire Emblem.
http://static.tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/normal_blackknight1_996.jpg

Cracklord
2010-11-04, 07:51 PM
Never played that game, so you'll have to tell me a bit about him.

Good idea with the Romans, you'd really got them down.

Falgorn
2010-11-04, 08:08 PM
Never played that game, so you'll have to tell me a bit about him.

Good idea with the Romans, you'd really got them down.

Eh, I don't really want to be him. I kind of want to be a Greek outfit of warriors. Maybe one of the ships that got lost on the way to Troy in Homer's epics.

Cracklord
2010-11-04, 08:15 PM
Achilies? Ajax? Odysseus? Argamemnon? Aeidius? Someone else starting with an A?

Falgorn
2010-11-04, 08:19 PM
Achilies? Ajax? Odysseus? Argamemnon? Aeidius? Someone else starting with an A?

I was considering that, but I actually wanted to just play a 'normal' outfit of Archaen warriors, lost at sea from Poseidon's wrath. If I had to choose, though, I would probably be Odysseus or Ajax.

Cracklord
2010-11-04, 08:31 PM
The Lord of The Rings is a fantasy setting, so fantasy characters are probably the more logical choice. I mean, ordinary soldiers would have a tough time of it, with outdated tactics, outdated armor and weaponry, no real way to counter heavy cavalry or trolls, let alone magic, and no understanding of what's going on.

Falgorn
2010-11-04, 08:43 PM
The Lord of The Rings is a fantasy setting, so fantasy characters are probably the more logical choice. I mean, ordinary soldiers would have a tough time of it, with outdated tactics, outdated armor and weaponry, no real way to counter heavy cavalry or trolls, let alone magic, and no understanding of what's going on.

Point = Taken. I'll think of something else, I just can't come up with anything right now.
Just mark me down as interested.

Executor
2010-11-04, 08:47 PM
My Roman soldiers were ordinary men and they dealt with a troll handily :smallwink:

Draxx
2010-11-04, 09:00 PM
Room for one more?

Cracklord
2010-11-04, 09:01 PM
Yep.

My Roman soldiers were ordinary men and they dealt with a troll handily :smallwink:

There are exceptions.

bvdk99
2010-11-04, 09:55 PM
I know Executor doesn't approve of my presence (or something along those lines), but I'd like to rejoin if that's okay.

Cracklord
2010-11-04, 10:26 PM
He felt you weren't putting enough effort into your posts, I believe. But I'm sure we can all have fun together, and try not to be too judgmental.

bvdk99
2010-11-04, 10:30 PM
He felt you weren't putting enough effort into your posts, I believe. But I'm sure we can all have fun together, and try not to be too judgmental.

Sorry, but when I'm not controlling a legion of 10 or more characters...

Also, I was tied down with several RP's at that time, and now I'll be able to be more elaborate.

And finally... er, isn't this thread necromancy? :smallconfused:

Cracklord
2010-11-04, 10:34 PM
I don't care in the slightest. You want to play, that's good enough for me.

Anyway, forget that. All in the past.

I believe we are starting again from scratch.

Mina Kobold
2010-11-05, 03:50 PM
Are my eyes cheating me? War of the Ring is back? Much joy will be had with such wonderful news! Rejoice all, the game of wonders, legends and confused vikings have returned!

I am now split between playing a moogle or Tasselhoff Burfoot.

Or mayhap i should play someone in a darkly coloured cloak, always much fun to be mistaken for a ringwraith.

What to choose? :smalltongue:

Executor
2010-11-07, 12:51 AM
Tasselhoff Burfoot? That sounds like some kind of fantasy version of David Hasselhoff.

Cracklord
2010-11-07, 05:15 AM
A kender from Dragonlance. Sort of like a hobbit, though with a few traits ignored or magnified.

I was thinking, we should run this so one of us DM's Sauron and his army, the other DM's the free people. That way we could ensure that differences in style don't damage things and make the game too inconsistent.

Mina Kobold
2010-11-07, 07:41 AM
Tasselhoff Burfoot? That sounds like some kind of fantasy version of David Hasselhoff.

Read. Dragonlance. NOW!

Orders aside, Cracklord speaks the truth. Kenders are sort of fearless hobbits with a thirst for adventure and a habit of finding stuff in their possessions that don't belong to them.

They're not thieves, though. Just friendly travellers who think you need a better hiding spo-ooh shiny! :smalltongue:

Executor
2010-11-07, 01:06 PM
I'm sorry, I just have this strange habit of not reading crap :smallwink:

Ahaha, I kid, I kid. Sounds interesting enough, would make quite an interesting addition.

And you are right, Cracklord. I think I could do the Sauron and that evil side better, if you would be willing to GM the Free Peoples. Only thing is that, whatever side I GM for has to be willing to wait until evenings for their updates. About 90% of my shifts at work last from noon to 9:00pm (GMT-6), and then I usually have to get to sleep around 11:30 in order to get up in time to make it to work. It's a stupid shift, I know, but at least my hours are being reduced at my request, due to the needs of university.

Viera Champion
2010-11-07, 03:52 PM
Please exagerate on what the War of the Ring is. Besides being Lord f the Rings with a bunch of random characters from other stories I can't seem to figure it out.

darkblade
2010-11-07, 04:00 PM
Please exagerate on what the War of the Ring is. Besides being Lord f the Rings with a bunch of random characters from other stories I can't seem to figure it out.

No thats basically it. We had a game like that earlier but it kind of fell through.

Cracklord
2010-11-07, 04:04 PM
And you are right, Cracklord. I think I could do the Sauron and that evil side better, if you would be willing to GM the Free Peoples.

Perfect. Alright, as everyone seems to be playing good guys I suppose the Black Company could be hired by Saruman. Wouldn't be the first time they've done work for a evil overlord. Hell, The Lady used to be one herself.

Viera Champion
2010-11-07, 04:20 PM
Saruman could always employ the Lunatacs (http://www.thundercatsho.com/%5Cbios%5Clunatacs.html). For my characters.:smallwink: Cuz I wanna play.

All their descriptions are in the link. For images:

Luna
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:7oF9BCklK12Q_M::www.taringa.net/posts/manga-anime/4025290/Thundercats---Melancolico.html&t=1&usg=AFrqEzfXCSqcZ6YN_KfjNajMpapvXnJ1tg

Amouk
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:kiPFXF-e0CvZyM::members.tripod.com/~Thunder_Cats/lunattacks.html&t=1&usg=AFrqEzfuQA4J0Cb0uothqaPpbEYMndUPGA

Chilla
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:t8ULu5fs2bHzIM::www.cheezey.org/thundercats/tcatvillians.html&t=1&usg=AFrqEzfKQU2pD_Rh69BLmNAGlNXdIVjBog

Alluro
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:uUuEq6AowFNcmM::members.tripod.com/~Thunder_Cats/lunattacks.html&t=1&usg=AFrqEzelMoA02QDOCQob5kX7TFzP7AYivw

Tugmug
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:Lpu3aILIIXE7SM::www.topgameskids.com. br/artigos-view/22-os-thundercats.html&t=1&usg=AFrqEzeyfRiXV__jQw2zY8-0ubwuWtSEZg

Red Eye
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:YuikWOKAHrI7gM::www.retrojunk.com/details_articles/1250/&t=1&usg=AFrqEzfr9SrEkfveDTdWRUFEh47ctgZkAg

As you can tell from this and the Fantasy Lynching thread, my mind is kind of stuck on Thundercats.

Executor
2010-11-07, 05:52 PM
...Interesting :smalltongue:

I suppose I should repost my character's profile and picture

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/7235/centurionphoto2.jpg
Marcus Andronicus
Alignment: Good
Origin: The Roman Republic, Europe, 1st Century BCE.
Occupation: Centurion of the 3th Century, 5th Cohort, 12th Legion
Weapons and Equipment: A gladius, Hispaniensis pattern, made of pattern-welded steel, with an oval scutum with rimmed with iron and an iron boss in the centre, a cuirass of lorica hamata, a crested bronze helmet, a wooden centurion's stick.
Talents and Abilities: Excellent fighter with sword, shield and bare fists, veteran professional soldier, great leader of men, decent horseman
Soldiers: Ten Roman soldiers - eight legionaries and two Cretan archer auxilaries.

Remember from the old WoR that your limit of NPC support for your character is ten characters other than your main character.

Viera Champion
2010-11-07, 08:33 PM
So is using the Lunatacs alright? Under Sauron?

Executor
2010-11-07, 10:20 PM
Well, it's fine by me. But I'd like a second opinion from Cracklord as well.

Cracklord
2010-11-07, 10:27 PM
I don't know who they are, but assuming they aren't too overpowered or have space ship technology I don't see any reason why not.

Viera Champion
2010-11-07, 10:56 PM
I don't know who they are, but assuming they aren't too overpowered or have space ship technology I don't see any reason why not.

Well they TECHNICALLy they have space ship technology, but only if they have the equipment to build such things. Which, if they aren't in the Thundercats universe is completely likely.

So yeah, spaceship technology crisis averted. And no, they don't have laser guns or anything like that.

Executor
2010-11-08, 11:25 PM
Okay, should be good to go then :smallsmile:

Mina Kobold
2010-11-09, 02:31 PM
Kender time!

Left
http://ftp.sunet.se/pub/pictures/fantasy/Advanced_Dungeons_and_Dragons/Dragonlance/lance22.jpg
Name: Tasselhoff Burrfoot
Alignment: Good
Origin: Kendermore, Krynn, 368 AC
Occupation: Adventure, Companion, Time traveller and Hero Of The Lance
Skills: Lock-picking, trap-finding, "Borrowing", map-making, shooting with his Hoopak staff, getting into trouble, talking, not being scared.
Soldiers: none.

Mind you, this is Tasselhoff Burfoot from sometime before the Chaos War (as I have not read it yet) and as such: Flint is dead but serves as Tas' voice of reason, Tas has travelled through time at least twice (without causing too big a mess, and it would have been destroyed anyway :smalltongue:) and the War Of The Lance is over :smallsmile:

Good?

Cracklord
2010-11-09, 06:31 PM
I'll approve it.

He also has a tendency to get interested by evil wizards.

Mina Kobold
2010-11-10, 03:24 AM
I'll approve it.

He also has a tendency to get interested by evil wizards.

Yay!

Doesn't that usually end badly for the wizards?

One was sent to the Abyss, one died battling Takhisis and I can't seem to remember any other evil wizards having much to do with him, with good reason considering that track record :smalltongue:

Executor
2010-11-10, 06:20 PM
Sounds like an interesting series, I might look into it. I'm always on the lookout for trashy but fun fantasy reading :smallwink:

Mina Kobold
2010-11-11, 05:53 AM
Sounds like an interesting series, I might look into it. I'm always on the lookout for trashy but fun fantasy reading :smallwink:

What's trashy? Is it good or bad?

Anyway, I reccomend starting with the Dragonlance chronicles. Mainly because everything either takes place after them or is a prequel story :smallsmile:

nanobot_swarm
2010-11-11, 06:10 PM
I've got some interest in this, wondering if I could play as Sanjuro from the film Yojimbo, or Lee Mu Bai from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Executor
2010-11-12, 03:27 PM
Trashy is something that's silly and corny.

And yes, nanobot, those two characters would be most acceptable :smallsmile:

Mina Kobold
2010-11-12, 03:58 PM
Trashy is something that's silly and corny.

While there are certain characters (most notably Kenders and people of dubious sanity) that provide funny and silly moments the series itself is quite pessimistic. Still my favourite fantasy despite (or maybe because it does it so well) that :smallsmile:

Executor
2010-11-13, 05:18 PM
Ah, I see, I shall have to check it out then :smallsmile:

Cracklord
2010-11-14, 09:42 PM
This isn't going to work. Everyone is playing good guys, and so the story is basically 'could the fellowship still win if they had a martial artist, brilliant strategists, a kender, roman legionaries and other historical figures helping out?'
And the answer is yes. Unless they are actually liabilities, then the fellowship would win slightly easier.

So what we have to do is stop, and think about what we could play that will actually make a story.
Thing is, the Lord of the rings is a rich setting, and can accommodate practically anything.

Executor
2010-11-14, 09:49 PM
You're right Cracklord, and we need evil characters to counterbalance the many good characters. The first WoR had plenty. Conflict is what makes this interesting!

Cracklord
2010-11-14, 09:53 PM
Well I've decided to drop the Black Company. They are awesome, and I would dearly love to play them, but they don't fit in the direction the game is taking, so I'll use them in some other game. I'm currently thinking of who I could play instead.

Maybe someone from Raimond E Feist (though he can't write decent villains, so maybe not) and someone from Wheel of Time.

darkblade
2010-11-14, 10:27 PM
I'll step in with Soul Calibur's Nightmare to give the villians some edge.

Cracklord
2010-11-14, 10:45 PM
Well, he can kill entire armies by himself, according to Soul Caliber canon, but alright.

ThePhantom
2010-11-14, 10:51 PM
This looks interesting, is it okay if I use a character that has been used (as far as I understand from the tv tropes page) as an ncp in other games?

Cracklord
2010-11-14, 10:51 PM
Please do.
Always nice to meet a fan, or at least a reader.

darkblade
2010-11-14, 10:58 PM
Well, he can kill entire armies by himself, according to Soul Caliber canon, but alright.

I was going to put him at about the same power level as the Ringwraiths. Sure he can do a number on the armies of men but he's only moderately threatening to the PCs.

ThePhantom
2010-11-14, 10:58 PM
Fan, I tried reading some of them, but I keep on getting distracted.

Would Xigbar, working with Saruman be okay?

Cracklord
2010-11-14, 11:02 PM
I was going to put him at about the same power level as the Ringwraiths. Sure he can do a number on the armies of men but he's only moderately threatening to the PCs.

Well, PC's like the fellowship, though ordinary Roman soldiers might be in trouble.
Anyway, Xigbar should be alright.

ThePhantom
2010-11-14, 11:03 PM
Thank you. So, you think that the ring will be destroyed?

"As if."

Viera Champion
2010-11-15, 05:48 AM
Well I was playing evil characters.

But I suppose I could create another. One who was a Chosen of the Dark Lord himself.:smallwink:
Yeah, I'm gonna play Lanfear.

Mina Kobold
2010-11-15, 03:50 PM
This isn't going to work. Everyone is playing good guys, and so the story is basically 'could the fellowship still win if they had a martial artist, brilliant strategists, a kender, roman legionaries and other historical figures helping out?'
And the answer is yes. Unless they are actually liabilities, then the fellowship would win slightly easier.

So what we have to do is stop, and think about what we could play that will actually make a story.
Thing is, the Lord of the rings is a rich setting, and can accommodate practically anything.

Definitely, he is a kender :smalltongue:

I would add to the evil characters, but I already have Tass... Are we allowed to play more than one character?

Cracklord
2010-11-15, 04:40 PM
Don't see why not.

nanobot_swarm
2010-11-15, 05:19 PM
Hey, I could also help DM the thing, I know the Lord of the Rings setting better than the history of several European nations, and I did a fairly decent job with my Asimir RP, so I think I could do a decent job DMing this.

Cracklord
2010-11-15, 05:25 PM
The problem with involving too many DM's is it creates more and more opportunities for contradiction, as everyone has different ideas what should be going on.
Just the same, I'm glad for the offer. Would you be willing to help Executor with team Evil?

nanobot_swarm
2010-11-15, 08:22 PM
Of course, I'd be more than happy to help out with Team Edward Evil.
What do you need me to do for it? NPC antagonists or the general forces of Sauron or what?

Cracklord
2010-11-15, 08:25 PM
Executor wants to do Sauron. That leaves either Saruman and the lesser servants (The goblins, the Balrog, excetera). Or you could help me with team Good. I'm doing the fellowship and Gondor, so you could do Rohan, The Elves and the rest.

nanobot_swarm
2010-11-15, 08:30 PM
All right, I'll go with Saruman and the lesser servants, so I can be like the Random Number God, but crueler. :D

Cracklord
2010-11-15, 08:31 PM
That's how I do things. Let them win most of the time, so it's all the crueler when you don't. :smallwink:

nanobot_swarm
2010-11-15, 08:50 PM
So like this:
"After having cleared the previous room of goblin soldiers, you enter the next and find it strangely empty. Suddenly you are ambushed by eight cave troll Warlords, who wield warhammers forged by Hephaestus himself, and armor hewn from the unholiest tree in the Stygian abyss. Suddenly you hear a voice proclaim 'ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL,' and one begins to glow a fetid yellow color, absolutely radiating pure combat power. Since this was an ambush, they get the premptive strike."
3 minutes later...
"You have died, do you want your possesions identified? [Y/N]"

Mina Kobold
2010-11-16, 11:52 AM
Don't see why not.

Groovy! Then I just need to actually find a Fantasy villain I can play.

This might take a while :smalltongue:

Executor
2010-11-16, 11:49 PM
Wheel of Time has some good ones :smallsmile: As does the Shannara series.

ThePhantom
2010-11-16, 11:50 PM
So, when are we starting this up?

Executor
2010-11-17, 10:23 PM
When I feel we have enough players and DMs.

Mina Kobold
2010-11-18, 02:36 AM
Wheel of Time has some good ones :smallsmile: As does the Shannara series.

I don't think I have time to read all that before the game :smalltongue:

I'm thinking about playing Captain Commander Admiral Zhao from Avatar: The Last Airbender, but is that too powerful?

Viera Champion
2010-11-18, 05:46 AM
I don't think I have time to read all that before the game :smalltongue:

I'm thinking about playing Captain Commander Admiral Zhao from Avatar: The Last Airbender, but is that too powerful?

Too powerful? He was a weakling in my mind.

Mina Kobold
2010-11-18, 10:02 AM
Too powerful? He was a weakling in my mind.

He did have that "no discipline" problem, but he holds the title of firebending master and his firebending is shown to be more powerful than (if as easy to avoid) any other bender (except avatars).

Plus, he killed the moon spirit. You don't mesh with a guy who kills the moon.

Unless you are the ocean, or Azula :smalltongue:

Viera Champion
2010-11-18, 05:48 PM
He did have that "no discipline" problem, but he holds the title of firebending master and his firebending is shown to be more powerful than (if as easy to avoid) any other bender (except avatars).

Plus, he killed the moon spirit. You don't mesh with a guy who kills the moon.

Unless you are the ocean, or Azula :smalltongue:

Or you know Iro, Zuko, Zuko, Zuko, Zuko, Zuko, Zuko, Zuko, Zuko, oh and did I mention Zuko?

Falgorn
2010-11-18, 07:05 PM
Or you know Iro, Zuko, Zuko, Zuko, Zuko, Zuko, Zuko, Zuko, Zuko, oh and did I mention Zuko?

Yeah. That's two people.

The admiral would not only have strong fire bending skills, but an advanced understanding of military tactics, something I believe that Zuko does not possess.

Viera Champion
2010-11-18, 08:33 PM
Yeah. That's two people.

The admiral would not only have strong fire bending skills, but an advanced understanding of military tactics, something I believe that Zuko does not possess.

And yet Zuko beat him every time.

Cracklord
2010-11-18, 08:46 PM
If this was a matter of purely raw power, then you'd just play Conan or Druss and be done with it.

Falgorn
2010-11-19, 08:51 PM
And yet Zuko beat him every time.

Yet, I'd still choose a fleet of ships over an angsty fire bender. But it's up to Keveak.

...Wish I had thought of the Admiral...

bvdk99
2010-11-19, 09:42 PM
What are your guys' thoughts on me playing Zelda (obviously) from the Legend of Zelda series?

If I were to play her, she would appear as she did in Twilight Princess/SSBB, and would have the psychic powers demonstrated through the series.

Cracklord
2010-11-19, 10:43 PM
I'd approve her in a heartbeat.

bvdk99
2010-11-19, 10:45 PM
I'd approve her in a heartbeat.

Cool. :smallsmile:

Since I'm having.. thinker's block :smalltongue:, I guess I'll stick with her, then.

Hm.. Where do you think she'd.. reside?

Mina Kobold
2010-11-20, 05:35 AM

So he lost to Iroh, the Dragon of the West, and Zuko, who is Zuko.

Still makes him very powerful compared to most people on Middle Earth :smalltongue:

What are your guys' thoughts on me playing Zelda (obviously) from the Legend of Zelda series?

If I were to play her, she would appear as she did in Twilight Princess/SSBB, and would have the psychic powers demonstrated through the series.

I'm pretty sure most of the games takes place in different times (One game even takes place centuries before the former Link was born) and that the Links and Zelda are some sort of DESTINY! thing that keep popping up.

Only difference that makes is that she wouldn't know where any of the other Zeldas hid their chocolate :smalltongue:

bvdk99
2010-11-20, 12:05 PM
So he lost to Iroh, the Dragon of the West, and Zuko, who is Zuko.

Still makes him very powerful compared to most people on Middle Earth :smalltongue:

I'm pretty sure most of the games takes place in different times (One game even takes place centuries before the former Link was born) and that the Links and Zelda are some sort of DESTINY! thing that keep popping up.

Only difference that makes is that she wouldn't know where any of the other Zeldas hid their chocolate :smalltongue:

:tongue:

I might play her, unless there are any objections.. :smalltongue:

Hm.. Do you have any other interesting ideas?

Executor
2010-11-21, 01:15 PM
Zelda would be good. You could even take on her Sheik disguise from Ocarina of Time and be Ninja!Zelda :smalltongue:

bvdk99
2010-11-21, 08:44 PM
Zelda would be good. You could even take on her Sheik disguise from Ocarina of Time and be Ninja!Zelda :smalltongue:

Yeah, I was thinking that too!

I guess, in times of dire need, she'll slip on the old mummy outift and get to work. :smalltongue:

Where do you think she'd live? For example, would she be the unofficial "Princess of Gondor" and live in the citadel, or would she live in Rivendell (or Lothlorien) with the elves...?

Cracklord
2010-11-21, 09:21 PM
Dol Amaroth all the way. They've got more elf blood in their veins, and it's less warlike then Gondor as they don't share a border with the land of Shadow.
And it would mean I get to play Prince Imrahil, and get them involved earlier.

bvdk99
2010-11-21, 09:27 PM
Dol Amaroth all the way. They've got more elf blood in their veins, and it's less warlike then Gondor as they don't share a border with the land of Shadow.
And it would mean I get to play Prince Imrahil, and get them involved earlier.

So.. Lothlorien or Rivendell...? :smallconfused:

Executor
2010-11-21, 09:27 PM
I was rather invisioning that the Valar, or Hylian Goddesses, sent her to Middle Earth, as was the explanation for these characters' presence in the original WoR.

bvdk99
2010-11-21, 09:32 PM
I was rather invisioning that the Valar, or Hylian Goddesses, sent her to Middle Earth, as was the explanation for these characters' presence in the original WoR.

Yeah, I agree with that, but I meant, where would she be staying?

Cracklord
2010-11-21, 09:38 PM
I prefer to minimize 'The Gods sent them' as an excuse. It makes for pretty poor justification, I find. Sure, on some people there is not really another option, but if there is you should at least try to take it.

So.. Lothlorien or Rivendell...? :smallconfused:

Gondor is a massive kingdom that is a confederation of loose states, many that are highly different from the unified one you see in the movie. Amongst them is Dol Amaroth, a principality, which is one of the most powerful of them.
It's the seat of most of their fleet, and also has some of the most feared knights in all of Middle Earth. It also puts you in a place where you can more or less go any direction you choose.
Lothlorien isn't really appropriate for Zelda, as she'd be stuck playing second fiddle to Galadriel, and she'd just leave quickly.
Rivendell could work, but sort of lessens her ability to have her own influence on the plot, as Rivendell is miles from anywhere, and the only way you're getting out is with the Fellowship.

bvdk99
2010-11-21, 09:46 PM
I prefer to minimize 'The Gods sent them' as an excuse. It makes for pretty poor justification, I find. Sure, on some people there is not really another option, but if there is you should at least try to take it.

Gondor is a massive kingdom that is a confederation of loose states, many that are highly different from the unified one you see in the movie. Amongst them is Dol Amaroth, a principality, which is one of the most powerful of them.
It's the seat of most of their fleet, and also has some of the most feared knights in all of Middle Earth. It also puts you in a place where you can more or less go any direction you choose.
Lothlorien isn't really appropriate for Zelda, as she'd be stuck playing second fiddle to Galadriel, and she'd just leave quickly.
Rivendell could work, but sort of lessens her ability to have her own influence on the plot, as Rivendell is miles from anywhere, and the only way you're getting out is with the Fellowship.

Eh, sure, but why in the world would she be there?

Concerning Lothlorien, I don't think you should say "she'd leave", because, no offence, but you wouldn't be playing her. Zelda's not all about being the boss, anyways.

She does seem like more of a Rivendell elf, however. And, what do you mean by "the only of way of getting out is with the fellowship"? She wouldn't be stuck in Rivendell, she could leave as she pleases, right?

Cracklord
2010-11-21, 09:59 PM
Concerning Lothlorien, I don't think you should say "she'd leave", because, no offence, but you wouldn't be playing her. Zelda's not all about being the boss, anyways.

She does seem like more of a Rivendell elf, however. And, what do you mean by "the only of way of getting out is with the fellowship"? She wouldn't be stuck in Rivendell, she could leave as she pleases, right?

Problem with the movies is they really cut out all the in-between time. It's a big world, and the maps are an important part of it.

Lothlorien is protected. Who is going to attack it? Who could? Gondor is in the way, and the goblins in the Misty Mountains don't have the numbers to do much. They can hold Moria, but that's about all. Saruman is too deep in Rohan to send an army without it having to cut through the Horsemen on the way, so for the most of the game, there would be very little for you to do, as most of her powers can be performed by Galadriel. If she wants to be part of the story, Lothlorien is not a very good choice.

As for Rivendell, the problem is that she can only really contribute by getting involved with the fellowship. Yes she can leave and go do her own thing, but she's miles from everywhere else but The Shire and Bree, neither of which are very significant after that point. The mountains are in the way of her leaving, for one thing, and the wilderness is after that, and even with a fast horse it would take her a months travel to get reinvolved with the story.

By the way, lets start at the council of Elrond. Nobody really has much to do at Bree, for one thing.

bvdk99
2010-11-21, 10:03 PM
No, but Lothlorien is protected. Who is going to attack it? Who could? Gondor is in the way, and the goblins in the Misty Mountains don't have the numbers to do much. They can hold Moria, but that's about all. Saruman is too deep in Rohan to send an army without it having to cut through the Horsemen on the way, so for the most of the game, there would be very little for you to do, as most of her powers can be performed by Galadriel. If she wants to be part of the story, Lothlorien is not a very good choice.

As for Rivendell, the problem is that she can only really contribute by getting involved with the fellowship, and it looks like we'll start from the council of Elrond this time given that there isn't much point in going from Bree with the people chosen. Yes she can leave, but she's miles from everywhere else but The Shire and Bree, neither of which are very significant. The mountains are in the way, for one thing, and the wilderness is after that, and even with a fast horse it would take her a months travel to get reinvolved with the story.

A. Yeah, but she wouldn't be stuck in Lothlorien; she could leave for a while.

B. Sure, but she wouldn't WANT to live in Gondor. Maybe, if she lived in Rivendell, she could join the fellowship for a time?

Cracklord
2010-11-21, 10:05 PM
Yeah, alright. Have her join the Fellowship for a bit. That's the way most of the characters will probably get involved.

bvdk99
2010-11-21, 10:47 PM
Yeah, alright. Have her join the Fellowship for a bit. That's the way most of the characters will probably get involved.

Then maybe she'll go to Rohan, or Minas Tirith, or some other place. We shall see...

So, when's this starting?

Also, Zelda's powers, so far... (tell me if you have any objections or thoughts; also, all have these have been demonstrated in a game featuring Zelda)

-Blasts of energy
-Teleportation (short distances; it also wears her out more than her other abilities)
-Can change her appearance somewhat (this is how she "transforms" into Sheik, by changing her hair colour, eye colour, and even eyelash length)
-Minor Telepathy
-Telekinesis (for example, lifting and moving a cat would require little energy, while lifting a car would be very tiring).

I know this may seem like a lot of abilities, but how I figure it could work out is that she only has a certain amound of energy or mana or whatever, and certain tasks take more of her energy away than others.

Cracklord
2010-11-21, 11:46 PM
Nah, that's fine. It's enough to make her very useful while at the same time not too over-powered by the standard of the world. I was thinking we'd start at the council of Elrond.

ThePhantom
2010-11-21, 11:49 PM
Well, its looks like we are about ready to start, I think.

Cracklord
2010-11-21, 11:55 PM
I'll start in on Wednesday if Executor hasn't already. I have an exam on Wednesday, but after that I'm free.

bvdk99
2010-11-22, 12:58 AM
Nah, that's fine. It's enough to make her very useful while at the same time not too over-powered by the standard of the world. I was thinking we'd start at the council of Elrond.

Sure. Also, I forgot to mention Force fields as one of her powers.

Mina Kobold
2010-11-22, 01:18 PM

OK with me, the Tasselhoff I'm playing was last seen in possession of a machine that can take him whenever, wherever in Krynn. Not too far fetched that he managed to get to Middle-Earth with that :smallwink:

He won't be able to use it until the story is over, though. Even I a not crazy enough to let a Kender use a time machine more than once :smalltongue:

Zhao would need something divine, though. But it would go for a nice Deal with the devil thing (That he won't be entirely happy with, considering he's Zhao)

Are we writing down the powers of our characters now?

darkblade
2010-11-23, 03:48 AM
Zhao would need something divine, though. But it would go for a nice Deal with the devil thing (That he won't be entirely happy with, considering he's Zhao)

Or you could just assume the Avatar world is on another continent of Middle Earth. Thats what we did with Aang for the last game.

Mina Kobold
2010-11-23, 05:00 AM
Or you could just assume the Avatar world is on another continent of Middle Earth. Thats what we did with Aang for the last game.

The world of Avatar: The Last Airbender has several continents, the main characters visit both poles and that's not even mentioning how impossible it would be to fit the theologies together.

Besides, I was talking about his fate

You know, the whole ocean spirit thing?

He'll need more than the existence of Hobbits to get out of that :smalltongue:

Executor
2010-11-23, 07:47 PM
I should be able to get a starting post up for Team Evil, as it is, on Wednesday. If you're playing for Team Evil, please post your character name so I can have a roster of everyone I need to write an intro for.

Mina Kobold
2010-11-24, 06:01 AM
If you're playing for Team Evil, please post your character name so I can have a roster of everyone I need to write an intro for.

Like this?

Admiral Zhao

:smallsmile:

darkblade
2010-11-24, 12:08 PM
I'll be playing as Nightmare for team evil.

bvdk99
2010-11-24, 06:58 PM
Like this?

General Zhao

:smallsmile:

... It's Admiral Zhao, by the way. :smalltongue:

Executor
2010-11-24, 11:13 PM
Are those the only two? Sorry I haven't made the post earlier, school matters caught up to me.

ThePhantom
2010-11-24, 11:16 PM
Sorry, but I'm working with Saruman, which is a different dm.

Cracklord
2010-11-24, 11:19 PM
Starting the thread nowish.

Executor
2010-11-25, 12:04 AM
So I'm just responsible for Zhao and Nightmare on Team Evil? That's simple enough :smallsmile:

bvdk99
2010-11-25, 12:10 AM
Starting the thread nowish.

Okay, so, should we put up our introduction posts?

Cracklord
2010-11-25, 12:15 AM
Well I was assuming everyone was introducing themselves, but if they'd rather I did it then say so here.

Executor
2010-11-25, 12:22 AM
Likewise, Team Evil, would you like to be introduced or do it yourself?

bvdk99
2010-11-25, 12:57 AM
Well I was assuming everyone was introducing themselves, but if they'd rather I did it then say so here.

I'll introduce myself...

Zelda

A pale but beautiful young woman, with blue eyes and light brown hair, is gliding (not literally) around Rivendell, observing the trees and buildings with nostalgic curiosity.

Cracklord
2010-11-25, 01:03 AM
This is the thread you want, I believe... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177158)

Mina Kobold
2010-11-25, 05:52 AM
Do we just write up an introduction for our Positively-aligned characters then?

Executor
2010-11-25, 01:13 PM
Yes indeed :smallsmile:

Evil characters, I'm still waiting for your imput on whether you want me to post your intro or do it yourselves, and I don't want to introduce my good character until I have my GM stuff done.

Cracklord
2010-11-25, 06:08 PM
Do we just write up an introduction for our Positively-aligned characters then?

I don't know much about most of the characters I am working with, so I would prefer it if you could post your own introductions.

Viera Champion
2010-11-25, 08:27 PM
Time to post for the Lunatacs!

Actually Executor, since you asked, could you do their intro.

Executor
2010-11-25, 09:43 PM
I never watched Thundercats, so it would probably be best if you introduced them. My intro for them would probably be some one-line crappiness, hah.

Viera Champion
2010-11-25, 09:52 PM
No problem. I just figured out what I was gonna do for them anyways.

Is it alright if I have them come to Saromon as mercenaries or whatnot?

Executor
2010-11-25, 10:21 PM
Yes, that would be admirable, but just so you now, I'm the DM in charge of Sauron's faction of Team Evil, not Saruman's.

Mina Kobold
2010-11-26, 06:07 AM
Evil characters, I'm still waiting for your imput on whether you want me to post your intro or do it yourselves, and I don't want to introduce my good character until I have my GM stuff done.

I think introducing them ourselves sounds good (no pun intended) But you can do so as well :smallsmile:

Will write my character intro(s) when school is over :smallwink:

Viera Champion
2010-11-26, 07:13 AM
Yes, that would be admirable, but just so you now, I'm the DM in charge of Sauron's faction of Team Evil, not Saruman's.

I meant Sauron anyways, I don't know why I was thinking Saruman.

Mina Kobold
2010-11-26, 08:15 AM
The good guys are all at the council, right?

ThePhantom
2010-11-26, 12:44 PM
I think someone needs to poke nanobot swarm.

darkblade
2010-11-26, 02:59 PM
Executor can introduce Nightmare.

I'm still trying to decide if I even want to bring in a good guy for this.

Executor
2010-11-26, 03:54 PM
It would be helpful if you posted a profile for Nightmare :smallwink:

darkblade
2010-11-26, 04:10 PM
It would be helpful if you posted a profile for Nightmare :smallwink:

I thought I did. Oh well here's one.

Nightmare (http://soulcalibur.wikia.com/wiki/Nightmare)

http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100330022854/soulcalibur/images/thumb/1/18/NightmareII.jpg/180px-NightmareII.jpg

Siegfried Schtauffen was the son of a knight that went to war (originally the Crusades but modifiable for Middle Earth) who fell in with a band of young bandits. The young ruffians in an act of misguided patriotism murdered a bunch of warriors who had flep the battle and returned home without honour. As the obvious twist would dictate among this bad was Siegfried's father. The boy went mad and greated elaborate tails of how the man who killed his Father could not have been himself but some unknown warrior. Over time these fantasies were combined with the rumors of the great sword Soul Edge which Siegfried was certain was the weapon used to kill his Father.

Eventually Siegfried claimed the sword after taking 'vengence' upon the sword's weilder who while undeniably evil was not guilty of that imagined crime. Over time the evil sword corrupted him with it's dark magics and cursed him to a set of Azure Armour. Turning him into the dark servant of Sauron he is today.

+ Superhuman Strength and Endurance
+ Posseses the Magical Sword Soul Edge granting him all but invincibility in combat
- Can briefly resurface as Siegfired if reminded of his old life
- His power draws from Soul Edge without the cursed blade he is just a man in strange armour

Mina Kobold
2010-11-27, 05:30 AM
Do anyone know the answer to this?:

The good guys are all at the council, right?

It's kind of important for me to know whether the Kender is in Rivendell or whether he is knocking on Moria's door.

Both are equally likely :smalltongue:

Cracklord
2010-11-27, 07:32 AM
And either is equally fun. I'd go Rivendell for simplicities sake, if I were you.

Mina Kobold
2010-11-27, 11:35 AM
And either is equally fun. I'd go Rivendell for simplicities sake, if I were you.

Sure thing, M'lord O' Crackery. Although he will still knock if he ever gets there :smalltongue:

EDIT: I was thinking about who Zhao should be in service of and so far I think Saruman sounds like a good choice. His attitude about conquering the rest of the world and set them under his 'superior' rule should make the dear General feel just like home :smalltongue:

Do that sound OK? :smallsmile:

Cracklord
2010-11-28, 05:22 AM
I have a sudden urge to play Thomas Covenant...

Executor
2010-12-01, 02:05 PM
Thomas Covenant would be most welcome.

ThePhantom
2010-12-01, 05:14 PM
Then play, please.

Viera Champion
2010-12-01, 05:41 PM
I really want to play a good character too now...

Cracklord
2010-12-01, 08:35 PM
You'll be sorry if I do, of course, given that Thomas is a very dark character. But I might at that. I'll just need to wait until the right moment.

For those of you unfamiliar with him, Thomas is a self-hating jerk with absolutely no noble qualities at all, who has committed some truly heinous crimes. He is the chosen one and the last hope of the world he is brought into, but as he's dying of leprosy and has barely a shred of decency to his name, this seems strange. The reason is, as it turns out, because anyone with any sort of moral virtue whatsoever would fight the main antagonist from the start, do the right thing, and lose horribly. So the creator chose him because he is such a soulless little bastard.

Then again, this isn't shaping into the sort of game that he'd really suit, so maybe someone else.

darkblade
2010-12-01, 09:27 PM
I have two ideas for heroic characters I would like to bring in.

Aslan of Narnia but since he is Talking Lion Jesus he might be a bit too powerful to bring in or Sora of Kingdom Hearts but I am not sure where to send him since I don't want him on the fellowship.

Cracklord
2010-12-01, 09:35 PM
Aslan is approved. Of course, it will change the direction of the story a little, but just the same, I'd love him to be included. Besides, the two were friends, so he fits better then anyone else so far.

nanobot_swarm
2010-12-01, 10:24 PM
I watched animated Return of the King today, and despite butchering the story to a ridiculous level, I somehow enjoyed it. Most likely because the animation was the same as the Hobbit, the Witch-King sounded like skeletor, and that song "Where there's a Whip, there's a way" the orcs sang, was really catchy.

Now then think it'd be okay to introduce Lee Mu Bai in the Council of Elrond, asking for aid, while having Sanjuro chilling out in Rohan till something drags him into the mess?

Cracklord
2010-12-01, 10:25 PM
I like it. There is a lot of heart in that version.

Yeah, that sounds about right to me. I'm unfamiliar with the characters I'm afraid, so you'll have to use you discretion.

Mina Kobold
2010-12-02, 09:23 AM
The Council of Elrond
The Lord of Imaldris gives you a look of gentle reproach. "Be not so quick to dismiss that which you do not understand. Who can know the significance of even the tiniest detail. Even the wise cannot guess all the paths of the future."
He returns his attention to the Kender, who feels a little uncomfortable at the scrutiny. He has been stared at by great wizards and kings, yet this man here seems older and mightier still, some being of ancient time beyond his understanding. "We resolve to take the only path that offers hope, a fools hope though it may be, are to take the ring to the fire. And in the hour of our need, a stranger from a distant land should appear, brought by some device beyond our knowledge. Who can guess what else occurs? Who can know whether similar occurrences to not dot our world. For the enemy is wise, and sees things with a clarity even we do not, and his power has always been the twisting of the world against itself. No, I think this is of more import then you believe."
Then he sighs, and sits back down. "But if we are to take the ring to the fire, who should we send? Who would brave the darkness and carry all the hopes and fears of the world on their shoulders?"
Tasselhoff feels a gaze on him, and looks over to see Gandalf looking at him meaningfully beneath bushy brows.

He has also met the god of good, the god of neutrality and the god of evil.

The later he met in her own realm, causing this reaction:

"I'm bored"

I think he can handle an old elf :smalltongue:

Cracklord
2010-12-02, 04:40 PM
I've never read pas the twins, so that's new to me.

Executor
2010-12-02, 09:51 PM
Cracklord, okay, I'll bite: WHERE should the Romans be if not where EVERYONE ELSE is? I mean, I get your point of view, I do. However, my old friend Taenarius quit the last WoR because he was stuck down in Gondor, not having any fun because he wasn't doing anything but interacting with NPCs. Consider that.

ThePhantom
2010-12-02, 10:45 PM
Rohan, perhase? After all, Xigbar is there.

darkblade
2010-12-02, 10:55 PM
Or Gondor since Nightmare is heading there.

Cracklord
2010-12-02, 11:37 PM
Cracklord, okay, I'll bite: WHERE should the Romans be if not where EVERYONE ELSE is? I mean, I get your point of view, I do. However, my old friend Taenarius quit the last WoR because he was stuck down in Gondor, not having any fun because he wasn't doing anything but interacting with NPCs. Consider that.

Equally good point.
Well, that's the problem right there. It makes no thematic sense whatsoever to put them in the Fellowship, but by your admission you won't have fun unless I put them as part of the Fellowship. Catch-22 if there ever was one.
So what we need is a compromise.
Anyone have any suggestions? If he'd prefer, we could give him his own plot with a few NPC's, but that seems to be exactly what you don't want to do. All in all, I think that it's a wonderful, diverse setting that has room for everyone to play as they want.

Executor
2010-12-03, 12:18 AM
Oh, I can have fun without the Romans in the Fellowship. I just want some way to interact with the other players. As it stood, I placed my Romans where the greatest concentration was: Rivendell. But we could easily be assigned to some task other than guarding the Ring.

Cracklord
2010-12-03, 12:54 AM
Ah, that's alright. Sorry, misunderstanding.

Mina Kobold
2010-12-03, 08:53 AM
I've never read pas the twins, so that's new to me.

You could have them be lead into a trap or tricked into believing Saruman or Sauron was a force for good? That way they have something to do for a while and when they realise their mistake the plot will have moved to a point where they may have a better chance of interacting with people :smallsmile:

By the way, Zhao will be working for Saruman, right?

Executor
2010-12-03, 09:18 PM
I'm not sure Keveak, I'm not modding for the Saruman side of Team Evil. I would assume so.

Executor
2010-12-04, 10:34 PM
I still need a moderation for the Romans, O Lord of Crackington

Cracklord
2010-12-06, 03:18 AM
Getting onto that now.

Mina Kobold
2010-12-07, 03:50 PM
So...

Shall we send off the fellowship?

Or do we need a few more days to figure out exactly where the stuff in Tass' bags belong?

Cracklord
2010-12-07, 10:13 PM
Well, I was hoping if I leave it a while you'd make use of the opportunity for some roleplaying and decide roles and interaction amongst the fellowship, but that seems to be too much to hope for, so I'll resume hurrying things along and railroading you all.

Mina Kobold
2010-12-08, 06:13 AM
Well, I was hoping if I leave it a while you'd make use of the opportunity for some roleplaying and decide roles and interaction amongst the fellowship, but that seems to be too much to hope for, so I'll resume hurrying things along and railroading you all.

Oh.

I thought we were supposed t get onward as fast as possible :smallredface:

Roleplaying it is!

nanobot_swarm
2010-12-08, 06:18 AM
Keveak, is Zhao by himself, or will he have his own forces?
If the former, then he is likely working with Saruman, if the latter, then he's really better off serving Sauron, as he would have more use there, being that he is an Admiral.

Mina Kobold
2010-12-20, 03:34 PM
Keveak, is Zhao by himself, or will he have his own forces?
If the former, then he is likely working with Saruman, if the latter, then he's really better off serving Sauron, as he would have more use there, being that he is an Admiral.

By himself, since this he was saved as he was about to be devoured by the ocean spirit.

Anyway, I completely forgot about this in the December hurry. That must be made up for!

We were about to have the characters interact after the meeting, right?