PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Interesting Ways To Conceal (X)

Otherworld Odd
2010-11-04, 03:11 PM
What are some interesting ways your characters have decided to conceal difference about them so they're not completely rejected by society?

For instance: Tieflings hiding their horns, tails, etc.
Hiding extra arms, eyes, what-have-you?

Do you use spells, mundane items, etc?

KingMerv00
2010-11-04, 05:10 PM
Aww...I thought this thread was something else. I'm DMing a campaign and I need to figure out how to hide an airship.

The-Mage-King
2010-11-04, 05:19 PM
Aww...I thought this thread was something else. I'm DMing a campaign and I need to figure out how to hide an airship.

Cast Invisibility on it. Make it permanant.

Assassin89
2010-11-04, 05:23 PM
For features, there is always the hat of disguise and disguise self.

KingMerv00
2010-11-04, 05:25 PM
Cast Invisibility on it. Make it permanant.

Invisibility is limited to 100lbs/level. I'm not sure how much an airship weighs but I don't think the caster level will be high enough in any event.

Keld Denar
2010-11-04, 05:35 PM
I have a half-giant with the feat Deepspawn. Deepspawn give you 2 tentacles that extend from your abdomen. Lenny wraps them around his waist and calls it a belt. A belt that will squeeze your head off!

Starbuck_II
2010-11-04, 05:36 PM
Invisibility is limited to 100lbs/level. I'm not sure how much an airship weighs but I don't think the caster level will be high enough in any event.

Let the airship wear a ring of invisibility.

Coidzor
2010-11-04, 05:36 PM
I have a half-giant with the feat Deepspawn. Deepspawn give you 2 tentacles that extend from your abdomen. Lenny wraps them around his waist and calls it a belt. A belt that will squeeze your head off!

Wait a minute, is that a character from one of the PbP RHOD games on here?

Currently I've done some fun things with a hat of disguise, though I'm... not the most creative and most of the characters that ended up with them weren't very good actors.

Keld Denar
2010-11-04, 05:44 PM
Maybe..... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156757)

Brendan
2010-11-04, 06:28 PM

if it is a blimp like airship and you are pretty high level than remember:
blimps are lighter than air when aloft. air is pretty dang light. you will probably be able to turn a blimp invisible.

And as for tiefling horns, don't doubt the power of a well placed cap. or afro. stylish and effective (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/07/Afro2.JPG) .

RebelRogue
2010-11-04, 06:33 PM
I initially read that as testicles... :smalleek:

Otherworld Odd
2010-11-04, 07:18 PM
Well, the Tiefling I'm playing now covers his horns with his goggles. But I got to thinking, those have to be pretty weird shaped goggles to cover horns... Or maybe I could add the effects of the aforementioned Hat of Disguise onto my eagle-eye goggles.

Are there any spells that can shrink the horns to fit under a standard pair of goggles? If not I could always wear a sith-hood. >.>. I am a rogue, after all.

@ RebelRogue: I lol'ed. I really did.

@ Brendan: There used to be a wizard in my playgroup who called himself Disco Stu and used a variety of colorful spells.... and he had a fro and a disco palace. -_-. OHGODTHEFRONIGHTMARES.

@ KingMerv: To hide an airship....erm.... Hire a bunch of wizards or sorcerers to maintain a cooperative invisibility spell? Or fly above the clouds or where you're but a speck. Just don't fall off.

KingMerv00
2010-11-04, 07:23 PM
if it is a blimp like airship and you are pretty high level than remember:
blimps are lighter than air when aloft. air is pretty dang light. you will probably be able to turn a blimp invisible.

That's just cheating. :smalltongue:

An airship still weighs something even if it is flying. The downward force of it's weight just happens to be floating because of the air. The fact the the airship isn't crashing doesn't mean it is literally weightless.

According to their website, the goodyear blimp weighs 12,000lbs. Even if my airship weighs 1/5th that, a 20th level caster couldn't make it invisible.

The screen spell seems to be the answer. I only need to hide the airship when it's on the ground.

Callista
2010-11-04, 07:48 PM
You could cast invisibility on parts of the blimp, but of course it'd mean repeated castings.

Why not just throw an illusion of the sky over the top of the whole thing, though?

Lev
2010-11-04, 07:55 PM
Illusions are the best way, glammers work fine.

As for stealth air? BIG tarp over it in the day, blackish blue airship and travel at night.

That's just cheating. :smalltongue:
No, that's actually a relatively clever way of doing things.

Now, TELEPORTING a blimp that you've just exploded into flame carrying 5 tons of cooking oil, now THAT is cheating.

FMArthur
2010-11-04, 08:38 PM
I once had a disguised beholder as the big evil pharoah of a vast empire. Well, he was a human to start with but discovered the means to become a Beholder Mage and used it to take over his old country and its neighbours. Anyway he had to use about 30 slaves (whose tongues had been cut out) every day to Aid Another on his Disguise check to pretend to be a really big human, even with the Ring of Reduction from LoM making him Medium.

His two eyestalks closest to center went up through the human mask to actually look through the eye sockets, while the remaining eyestalks, which were painted black and masked at end with black nylon so that he could see out without them looking like eyeballs, formed eerie drifting collar decorations. The arms were manipulated through the Arcane Hands class feature of the Beholder Mage. He always levitated, averting the nightmare of planning out how he would move his legs... Regardless, his fake limbs were extra big so that he would look more burly than fat, so he was a larger than life figure that only made him easier to worship if anything.

I spent so much time figuring this out and dropping subtle hints about his true nature. The players didn't catch on (and didn't pass any Spot checks) until the big reveal and didn't even ask about how he'd done it. I'm at least glad I thought it through instead of handwaving it, just in case they did ask.

Otherworld Odd
2010-11-04, 09:03 PM
I once had a disguised beholder as the big evil pharoah of a vast empire. Well, he was a human to start with but discovered the means to become a Beholder Mage and used it to take over his old country and its neighbours. Anyway he had to use about 30 slaves (whose tongues had been cut out) every day to Aid Another on his Disguise check to pretend to be a really big human, even with the Ring of Reduction from LoM making him Medium.

His two eyestalks closest to center went up through the human mask to actually look through the eye sockets, while the remaining eyestalks, which were painted black and masked at end with black nylon so that he could see out without them looking like eyeballs, formed eerie drifting collar decorations. The arms were manipulated through the Arcane Hands class feature of the Beholder Mage. He always levitated, averting the nightmare of planning out how he would move his legs... Regardless, his fake limbs were extra big so that he would look more burly than fat, so he was a larger than life figure that only made him easier to worship if anything.

I spent so much time figuring this out and dropping subtle hints about his true nature. The players didn't catch on (and didn't pass any Spot checks) until the big reveal and didn't even ask about how he'd done it. I'm at least glad I thought it through instead of handwaving it, just in case they did ask.

That . . . is awesome. o.o.

KingMerv00
2010-11-04, 10:59 PM
No, that's actually a relatively clever way of doing things.

If a 300lb human is being pulled out of a pit by a rope, is he weightless?

(The guys pulling on the rope can answer that for you.)