PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] WLD Campaign Start

Sleepingbear
2010-11-04, 04:53 PM
Good day,

I'm starting up a 3.5 D&D campaign this weekend. I expect the first session will be entirely making characters and establishing backgrounds.

I've been toying with a way to start things off using a prophesy or something along that vein. But it's something that can be hard to pull off in a table top RPG where the players definitely have free will.

Then it occurred to me to try something new. So this Sunday I'm going to tell the players to make two versions of their new characters. One at 1st level and one at 18th level complete with wealth by level and anything we mutually agree would be reasonable for them to have (permanent spells and so forth).

The opening scene will be with the 18th level characters. I won't give them any background, only describe what's around them. The 'action' will start in a tunnel and will open out into a cave.

In the cave will be a dragon. The Dragon will slaughter the characters. I am 100% this will be the result.

As each character falls, I will ask for their 18th level characters which I will put in a folder (it will be nice to have their wish lists right there to refer to later on).

After the last character has died, I will tell them to put their 1st level characters in front of them. Then I will begin the campaign with, "Your characters wake up from the most vivid dream you've ever experienced. Yet there is some nagging doubt that it was a dream at all. You are surrounded by darkness and the air is dank and chilly. The sounds of stirring are all around you. What do you do?"

I have at least two days to refine this idea or perhaps as much as a week. I'm really curious how it will turn out in the long run.