PDA

View Full Version : Old Question: Why didn't Belkar take any damage?

homersolo
2010-11-04, 05:52 PM
So I couldn't find a search function for these forums, or else I would have searched for this answer.

In #469, the skull shoots a fireball. Belkar took no damage which surprised both he and Haley. Why didn't he take any damage? I assume there were some wild theories out there like he was truly becoming a god of war and part of the prophecy was about him rising to the realm of the gods or something. But I'm sure a more reasonable answer was supplied at some point. What was it?

hamishspence
2010-11-04, 05:54 PM
He has the Evasion ability that rangers get at 9th level.
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/ranger.htm

I think that's it.

(EDITED to correct an error).

Shale
2010-11-04, 05:55 PM
For reference, Evasion means that when you successfully save against an area attack, you take no damage instead of half.

NerfTW
2010-11-04, 06:50 PM
So I couldn't find a search function for these forums, or else I would have searched for this answer.

You have to be logged in first, and it appears on that brown bar at the top of the screen. Third from the right.

You can't search without being logged in.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-04, 07:51 PM
Yeap, Evasion. Rangers do get it, and Belkar must be high enough level.

Deliverance
2010-11-04, 08:00 PM
As the others said (and as Belkar himself stated outright in the comic), it is Evasion, and that Belkar was surprised that it happened was just another in the row of jokes concerning Belkar not knowing his own abilities: "When did I learn evasion?" - when you hit 9th level as a ranger, dummy.

KillItWithFire
2010-11-04, 08:04 PM
Which is kind of funny, if you didn't know you knew how to evade how did you manage to do it. :smalltongue: Plus, 9th level would have been a while ago. How did he not notice till now. (though I suppose it's possible he's failed every reflex save since then)

Dr.Epic
2010-11-04, 08:49 PM
How did he not notice till now. (though I suppose it's possible he's failed every reflex save since then)

I think the last time he had to make a reflex save was with the bandits in the woods and that was a long time ago. Either way, we haven't seen him making any reflex saves so it's safe to assume he just hasn't made any leading up to that point.