PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for a gestalt druid

Dark_Juggernaut
2010-11-04, 06:35 PM
So my next new campaign is going to be 3.5 gestalt and I'm definitely going to play a druid, or something that can cast druid spells. I was thinking Druid//Monk so I could wild shape and kick some butt if I wanted to (but not overly focused on it).

Any suggestions on other druid gestalts or what feats a Druid//Monk should take? I know I want Improved Natural Weapon: Unarmed Strike, Natural Spell, and Fast Wild Shape, but those are all 4th-6th minimum.

I also want at least 1 level of another class in there, so I can stagger the two for better saves/BAB, for the monk//druid at least. I'm not so concerned if it's a suggestion towards a caster heavy gestalt.

Tshern
2010-11-04, 06:40 PM
So my next new campaign is going to be 3.5 gestalt and I'm definitely going to play a druid, or something that can cast druid spells. I was thinking Druid//Monk so I could wild shape and kick some butt if I wanted to (but not overly focused on it).

Any suggestions on other druid gestalts or what feats a Druid//Monk should take? I know I want Improved Natural Weapon: Unarmed Strike, Natural Spell, and Fast Wild Shape, but those are all 4th-6th minimum.

I also want at least 1 level of another class in there, so I can stagger the two for better saves/BAB, for the monk//druid at least. I'm not so concerned if it's a suggestion towards a caster heavy gestalt.
Suggestion number one, don't take Monk. The first level is just fine for the AC, but apart from that I would steer away from it. You'd only get an improved reflex save after all.

hivedragon
2010-11-04, 06:46 PM
I sugest druid/ninja possibly with a bit of dagger spell shaper in there.

Volos
2010-11-04, 06:47 PM
Go for a Druid / Full BAB. The only thing that keeps druids from destroying the universe as we know it is their lack of a full Base Attack Bonus. Look at what they already have... Full Caster, Polymorph as a Class Ability, Animal Cohort (better than a fighter of the Druid's level), and immunity to poisons. The only thing they are missing is a full Base Attack progression. Give them that and they can destroy the world.

Dark_Juggernaut
2010-11-04, 07:03 PM
Well I was basing it off of how a monks unarmed damage scales very well with size/str increases you can get from Wild Shape and Animal Growth, and you can forgo natural attacks for a Flurry of Unarmed Strikes (headbutts, flat paws/kicks ect.) in animal forms.

I thought if you staggered two classes you could get a full BAB with any two classes:

Wizard 1//Fighter 1 = +1 BAB
Wizard 2//Beguiler 1 = +1 BAB
or
Monk 1//Fighter 1 = +1 BAB
Monk 2//Rogue 1 = +1 BAB

Does it not work that way?

Mongoose87
2010-11-04, 07:21 PM
Most DMs won't allow the stagger trick.

Consider Warblade or Crusader. A Tiger Claw Warblade combined with Wildshape could be devastating.

Kalaska'Agathas
2010-11-04, 07:27 PM
Another thing you might try, if you want to get a ridiculous number of natural attacks, would be the Totemist (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2943.0).

You could also gestalt with Factotum (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=2720.0), which would give you nice skills and utility abilities.

Jack_Simth
2010-11-04, 07:46 PM
For Druid, assuming you're starting at level 1, pair with either Swordsage or Ninja. Both are Wis-based, and have a lot of abilities that are low action-cost (Immediate Action Counters, Swift-Action Boosts for the Swordsage; Swift-Action Invisibility for the Ninja).

Both builds get Wisdom to AC, but they do have different focuses:

For an Offensive build, go with Ninja - as Swift Action Invisibility + Sudden Strike + Pounce with Five Natural Attacks = Death of Foes (5th level Druid//Ninja: +3d6 Sudden Strike ... per attack ... and turn into a Leopard for five attacks, on a Pounce = DEATH for anything living and not immune to Invisibility and/or Critical Hits).

For a Defensive build, go with Swordsage - as the Immediate action Diamond-Mind counters replace saves (Fort, Ref, and Will) with Concentration checks - which are MUCH easier to make, and scale much better. You can also go offensive very well, with the swift-action boosts, and some of the better Stances.

Oh yes, and on the Druid side, focus on long-term buffs (Barkskin, Greater Magic Fang, and so on) for your wildshape form.

Dark_Juggernaut
2010-11-04, 07:52 PM
Ah, our DM has been letting us stagger for better BAB/Saves. Granted we NEED them for some of the stuff he throws at us >_>, like DC 30 Destruction spells at lvl 14.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-04, 07:56 PM
Barbarian: d12 HD and better BAB. Though with cleric, you'd memorize basically the same spell list twice if that's the sort of thing you want to do.

Mongoose87
2010-11-04, 08:03 PM
If you can stagger, consider Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian 1/Swordsage 19.