PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Sorcerer God Build Help

Moonlitdreams
2010-11-04, 09:16 PM
Hello all. I have a character in a semi-solo game (other players are in solo games as well, and our characters meet occasionally) that is a "godling" destined to ascend and replace Vecna as the next God of Secrets and Sorcerery. This one is a bit more moderate, fluctuating around Neutral (DM allowed Ur Priest anyway).

I would like some build advice for him, since he will have to survive and keep the other godlings in line. The others are (that I know of): A Frenzied Berserker, a Celebramancer, an Artificer, a Dragonfire Adept, a Dragon Paladin/something, and an evil gnome illusionist.

The DM is making SRD divine ranks basically irrelevant, as the gods in that game do not gain salient abilities but rather have between 40 and 60 class levels when they ascend. My character is currently level 11, and retraining the levels he has is not an option. Please keep that in mind, other than that, I would appreciate any and all help possible! He'll need to be very strong. :smallsmile:

Build so far:
N Human Sorcerer 5/Mindbender 1/Ur Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 3

Feats:
Leadership (houseruled as racial ability for all godlings)
Extend Spell
Darkstalker
Iron Will
Spell Focus (Evil)
Empower Spell
Persist Spell
Mindsight
DMM: Persist Spell

Any advice on where to go from here? I would like to pick up a bit of Void Incarnate once over level 20, and Fatespinner seems thematically appropriate... but other than that, I am not sure.

Rainbow Servant
2010-11-04, 09:35 PM
Divine Oracle (CompleteDivine) and/or Lorekeeper (DMG) seem to fit your theme. Pre-reqs line up pretty well with each other too.
Are you primarily interested in increasing your arcane casting, or do you have any other goals in mind?

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-11-04, 09:48 PM
Have you chosen a cohort? May I suggest Wizard 5/Incantatrix 4 with spontaneous divination (fits the Vecna fluff) to persist all your (and his) arcane buffs, and any divine buffs you have left over after you burn through your (limited at level 11 WBL) supply of nightsticks? A custom item of spellcraft is delicious here.

So, you persist (say) Divine Power, Mass Lesser Vigor, and Righteous Might with your available turn attempts. Then you cast Wraithstrike, Swift Fly, Shield, Divine Favor, Lesser Visage of the Deity, Alter Self, and your buddy persists all of them. If you can swing a custom item of spellcraft, tack on Ray Deflection, Greater Mirror Image, Righteous Wrath of the Faithful, Surge of Fortune and the like. That, y'know, should make you somewhat survivable.

Edit: Cooperative Metamagic. That's how it happens.

Moonlitdreams
2010-11-04, 10:07 PM
Primarily, increasing arcane casting and utility through the divine spells. I would also like to be as sneaky as possible, through use of spells, class features and the like. No better way to keep secrets than to not be seen.

Ah! I have not chosen a cohort yet, and that is a great idea. Thank you much. :smallbiggrin:

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-11-04, 11:15 PM
If you don't want to be seen, persist Greater Invisibility. I'm sure there's a move-silent-oriented Alter Self form to go with that.

Coidzor
2010-11-05, 12:57 AM
That or just overland flight.

Moonlitdreams
2010-11-05, 11:14 PM
Cooperative Metamagic? Where is that from?

So something like this, perhaps?: Sorcerer 5/Mindbender 1/Ur Priest 2/Mystic Theurge 8/Divine Oracle 6/Unseen Seer X/Void Incarnate Y

Any suggestions for spells another than those ones to persist? I know there are lots in splatbooks that are not quite on my radar, so advice would be awesome.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-11-05, 11:52 PM
Cooperative Metamagic is the Incantatrix's 2nd level class feature. The Incantatrix can slap on a metamagic feat to a friend's spell with a successful spellcraft check.

The problem with having a *ton* of persisted spells are a few:
1. You have very limited arcane spells known. You have somewhat limited divine spell slots. If you use a lot of spells known/spell slots to buff yourself, you're not going to have much direct offense left. This is less of a problem if you go primarily melee, but then you become much more MAD.
2. Dispel Magic and its ilk will ruin your day, FOR SERIOUS. Get a Ring of Enduring Arcana and a Bead of Karma for your buffs.

Because of that, I'm not sure you need too many more buffs outside that list.

There are many hours/level spells good for pre-casting, though. Heart of Air, Heart of Water, Heart of Earth, Heart of Fire combo can be quite good, or just Water/Earth right now, since you can't cast Heart of Fire.