PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Random though about combat effectiveness and HP totals

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-04, 09:47 PM
We all like to complain about how in D&D a monster(and by extension characters) fight just as well at 1 HP as at full HP.

This hoses down melees as if they don't bring the baddie down in one Full attack, they have to take the inevitable counter-full attack, considering this I came to the following conclusion.

When a monster/character reaches Half HP it gets fatigued, and when it reaches 1/4 HP it is exhausted.

What do you think about this?

Tyndmyr
2010-11-04, 09:49 PM
I've played games with other systems as well. It's more realistic, but it's more to keep track of, and it means fairly injured players are effectively unable to meaningfully contribute.

It works well in a less combat-centric system, but I wouldn't bother to add it to 3.5.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-11-04, 09:52 PM
The melee types are the ones who will likely eat more of the HP damage, and the penalties from fatigue and exhaustion hurt them more. If balance is your concern, this is not the way to go.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-04, 09:56 PM
I've played games with other systems as well. It's more realistic, but it's more to keep track of, and it means fairly injured players are effectively unable to meaningfully contribute.

It works well in a less combat-centric system, but I wouldn't bother to add it to 3.5."

If that is the case what kind of game would support this idea?

The melee types are the ones who will likely eat more of the HP damage, and the penalties from fatigue and exhaustion hurt them more. If balance is your concern, this is not the way to go.

Didn't think about balance to be honest, just an idea to try to give meleers a bone; but it seems it might not work....

Tyndmyr
2010-11-04, 10:00 PM
Shadowrun, fer instance.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-04, 10:05 PM
Need to track down a copy of that game... sounds awesome.

Quietus
2010-11-04, 10:07 PM
World of Darkness has a similar thing, where as you progress down your wound track, you take penalties on your rolls, representing getting pretty messed up.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-04, 10:08 PM
hmm so THAT's where I got the original idea....:smallredface:

Grynning
2010-11-04, 10:50 PM
Star Wars saga uses the condition track, which gives -1, -2, -5, -10, then ko'ed. The track goes up each time you take a hit over a damage threshold (equal to your Fort defense, which in D&D would be 10 plus your fort save). it's a pretty darn good system.

Enguhl
2010-11-05, 12:27 AM
I actually home-brewed a 3.5 variant similar to that, instead of massive HP you get much less (like a decently Con'ed barbarian had 6ish), and when you take damage you rolled a fort save, DC some formula, and take damage. Plus if you failed by 5 (10?) you took an extra damage. Then for every damage you have taken you get -1 to most rolls.
It didn't really bog the game down and made everyone play more tactically, good fun was had.