PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5] RHD conversion into class levels

Coidzor
2010-11-04, 11:14 PM
So, I was just thinking about Racial Hit Dice and how a 1 RHD race can convert its RHD into its first class level but a 2 RHD race has to take both RHD in addition to a class HD, meaning there's a 1 ECL gap between 1 RHD first level characters and 2 RHD first level characters. (This gap kinda annoys me on a level that I'm not quite sure how to express, except that it just seems... disjointed.)

So I was just wondering how it would affect things if, say, the last RHD is converted into the first class level taken, so, an ogre, with its four racial hit dice, would convert its last HD into the first level of barbarian, making it have 3 giant HD and 1 barbarian HD(and with its LA equivalent to a 6th rather than 7th level character).

On a semi-related note, has anyone seen/created a homebrew system for RHD buy-off where one could convert RHD into class HD over time?

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-11-04, 11:22 PM
LA/RHD is almost always inflated. Converting the last RHD into a superior type of HD won't overpower anything.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2010-11-06, 04:01 PM
Its clear WotC was inconsistent and that some if not many thought RHD didn't count to ECL, and therefore gave 'free' benefits of the HD type. Therefore if you want balance: try this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8578981#post8578981)