PDA

View Full Version : How is "Cthulhu" pronounced?

Dr.Epic
2010-11-05, 01:45 AM
The two most recent episodes of South Park have everybody's favorite Eldritch abomination, and they pronounce the "th" in Cthulhu like one pronounces the "t" in "turtle." At first, I thought it was just supposed to be an expy (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Expy). I don't know, I just thought they didn't want to use the real thing, but then I saw that the spelling was the same on the show. I always thought that the "th" was pronounced like the "th" in "bath." I've heard a lot of my friends and other sources from pop culture pronounce it like the latter. Which is the correct pronunciation?

golentan
2010-11-05, 01:47 AM
Neither. The dread lord Cthulhu's true name cannot be expressed with your puny euclidean vocal cords. :smalltongue:

I always said it "Ka-Thool-Hoo."

Fjolnir
2010-11-05, 01:49 AM
I think it's pronounced KT-hoo-lyoo but I could be wrong mistaken

Amiel
2010-11-05, 01:51 AM
Apparently the real pronunciation is quite guttural glottal, being unreasonably formed for mortal mouths, as it were. I think likening it to the evocation of phlegm may help you some.
I've always pronounced it as koo-thule-lew.

Kris Strife
2010-11-05, 01:52 AM
With a New England accent. :smallwink:

Worira
2010-11-05, 01:54 AM
Exactly like it's spelled.

otakuryoga
2010-11-05, 01:55 AM
i have always just pronounced it "MASTER" :smallamused:

chiasaur11
2010-11-05, 01:58 AM
i have always just pronounced it "MASTER" :smallamused:

Not the best idea. English names feel degrading to these things, don't ask me why. And they're bad at peaceful discussions of hurt feelings.

As for the topic at hand?

It's fairly simple to tell. If brave men do not grow faint at the utterance and the less steely nerved fail to faint, you're pronouncing it wrong.

Note: Conan the Cimmerian does not count as a brave man or less steely nerved for the purposes of this discussion. He falls, along with a small number of others, into "Ultimate Badass" territory, and may merely punch you and laugh.

Lycan 01
2010-11-05, 02:03 AM
I noticed that everyone in the episode pronounced it "Ka-Too-Loo" except for one person - the cult leader. When he first showed up, he pronounced it "Ka-Thoo-Loo," which is the proper* way according to the H. P. Lovecraft Historical Society and Chaosium Games, who produce the Cthulhu roleplaying games. I had actually been annoyed up until that point about the way they were saying it, but that scene made me crack up, even if they didn't mean for him to get it right.

*Actually, they say that its not the "proper" way since there are tons of ways to say it, some more right than others, but the "official" and generally accepted way is Ka-Thoo-Loo.

Amiel
2010-11-05, 02:05 AM
I think Lovecraft himself pronounced Cthulhu as "Khlûl'-hloo" (IPA: [ˈχɬʊl.ɬuː] ?) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cthulhu)
?Even the subtitles are saying WTH.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-05, 02:42 AM
Well, even if there are a ton of ways to pronounce it, it does seem that the "th" sound rather than the "t" sound is the accepted norm and that kind of bugged me throughout the two episodes. Granted, a name like Cthulhu would probably confuse most people how to pronounce it, but I think the "th" sound would be pretty obvious. They got the rest of it right.

Lycan 01
2010-11-05, 03:42 AM
I think that's the joke, though. Like I said, the cultist guy got it right. Everyone else pronounces it wrong. Either the voice actor for the cultist happened to "mispronounce" it in that one scene, or that's a planned joke.

They got really in depth with a lot of the Mythos stuff. I was amazed at some of the jokes they made. I'm sure that somewhere along the line, somebody at Comedy Central saw how Cthulhu was properly pronounced. XD

Dr.Epic
2010-11-05, 03:59 AM
I think that's the joke, though. Like I said, the cultist guy got it right. Everyone else pronounces it wrong. Either the voice actor for the cultist happened to "mispronounce" it in that one scene, or that's a planned joke.

I don't really think either makes sense. The didn't correct anyone else so I doubt it's a mispronunciation. And as a joke, I don't really get it: it's not that funny, clever, or really anything other than a mild annoyance. I mean the song with Cartman flying on Cthulhu would have been awesome, but they pronounce the "th" as a "t" sound.

Eldan
2010-11-05, 04:40 AM
I've always just pronounced it as written.

K-t-hoo-l-hoo.

Never understood why everyone seems to insert another vowel between the first two consonants.

Lhurgyof
2010-11-05, 07:40 AM
The two most recent episodes of South Park have everybody's favorite Eldritch abomination, and they pronounce the "th" in Cthulhu like one pronounces the "t" in "turtle." At first, I thought it was just supposed to be an expy (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Expy). I don't know, I just thought they didn't want to use the real thing, but then I saw that the spelling was the same on the show. I always thought that the "th" was pronounced like the "th" in "bath." I've heard a lot of my friends and other sources from pop culture pronounce it like the latter. Which is the correct pronunciation?

His name is unpronouncable by humans.

But, I pronounce it both ways- Katooloo and Kathooloo. Either way is technically correct.

Although I guess they're both incorrect.
The th can make the tradition th sound, or it could just be a t sound followed by an -hulhu sound, if that makes sense.

Obrysii
2010-11-05, 07:46 AM
I pronounce it "Kaa-Thuu-Luu"

kamikasei
2010-11-05, 07:48 AM
I've always just pronounced it as written.

K-t-hoo-l-hoo.

Never understood why everyone seems to insert another vowel between the first two consonants.
How are you pronouncing "k-t" without effectively inserting a (neutral) vowel in there yourself?

hamishspence
2010-11-05, 07:55 AM
Maybe like "Ker" but shortened?

Might sound almost like a cross between a cough and a sneeze?

"Kth-ulu"

Eldan
2010-11-05, 07:57 AM
How are you pronouncing "k-t" without effectively inserting a (neutral) vowel in there yourself?

Uhm... "Kt"? No idea how to describe that. You just pronounce a k, then a t. I mean, those are both consonants you can easily just pronounce on their own. I can hold a "k" sound easily for half a minute if necessary.

kamikasei
2010-11-05, 07:58 AM
Uhm... "Kt"? No idea how to describe that. You just pronounce a k, then a t.
See, to me that sounds like "kuh-tuh" or "kih-tih". After all, when reciting the alphabet you don't say "K", "T", you say "kay, tee".

I mean, those are both consonants you can easily just pronounce on their own. I can hold a "k" sound easily for half a minute if necessary.
:smallconfused:

Yeah okay at this point I'm just going to peg you as a Deep One because that does not sound like human phonics.

Emperor Ing
2010-11-05, 07:59 AM
I pronounce it "Kaa-Thuu-Luu"

Same here. Took me a while before I could actually spell it though. :smalltongue:

Eldan
2010-11-05, 08:20 AM
See, to me that sounds like "kuh-tuh" or "kih-tih". After all, when reciting the alphabet you don't say "K", "T", you say "kay, tee".

:smallconfused:

Yeah okay at this point I'm just going to peg you as a Deep One because that does not sound like human phonics.

Wha, really? "k" is a totally normal human sound.

kamikasei
2010-11-05, 08:26 AM
Wha, really? "k" is a totally normal human sound.
Made by interrupting the flow of air through your mouth. You can't continually interrupt it, and the uninterrupted flow constitutes a vowel sound. At least, such is my understanding. I can't imagine how you could make a "k" sound on its own for thirty seconds, unless you mean a death-rattle "k-k-k-k-k" where each "-" is a neutral vowel.

Starbuck_II
2010-11-05, 08:26 AM
Uhm... "Kt"? No idea how to describe that. You just pronounce a k, then a t. I mean, those are both consonants you can easily just pronounce on their own. I can hold a "k" sound easily for half a minute if necessary.

Like "K-tah"? That requires an "a" though

So "Kat-ooh-lu"?

Not Kat like in cat, say it really fast anhd it sounds like "kt" no "ah' used and sounds a little gruttal.
Although don't practice too much you'll make the time right.

Eldan
2010-11-05, 08:38 AM
Made by interrupting the flow of air through your mouth. You can't continually interrupt it, and the uninterrupted flow constitutes a vowel sound. At least, such is my understanding. I can't imagine how you could make a "k" sound on its own for thirty seconds, unless you mean a death-rattle "k-k-k-k-k" where each "-" is a neutral vowel.

Not really, no. It's just one long, continuous sound from somewhere down the throat. Pretty common one too, in Swiss German.

kamikasei
2010-11-05, 08:44 AM
That doesn't sound like anything I've ever seen labelled as a k. I'll have to go on a Wikipedia binge later on when I can play sound files, for the sake of my own curiosity.

Abies
2010-11-05, 09:14 AM
Maybe he's refering to a 'soft k' sound, like a 'soft c' or 'hard s'.

But no, by IPA pronunciation there is no true "K" sound that can be held as suggested. Examples of the use of this sound in a word would be appreciatted.

As for how Cthulhu is correctly pronounced? Did you see that scene where Cartman was on the belly of the beast, gave his name and asked Cthulhu's in return? The sound made is how the name is correctly "pronounced", though for some reason I suspect there were some constituents of the "sound" that puny mortals are not equipped to comprehend or even sense.

I'm of the opinion that in the absesce of a true authority who can or is willing to give a definitive answer, so long as others know what you're talking about you're saying it right.

Eldan
2010-11-05, 09:33 AM
Hmm. English words seem to lack it mostly. Guess that's just my accent, then. I can type up a few words of local dialect, but I doubt that would help anyone.

Edit: perhaps this helps, from the Wikipedia article. I'm not sure, I don't actually understand all of it.

Like all Southern German dialects, Swiss German dialects have no voiced obstruents. However, they have an opposition of consonant pairs such as [t] and [d] or [p] and [b]. Traditionally, that distinction is said to be a distinction of fortis and lenis, though it has been claimed to be a distinction of quantity.[2]

Swiss German /p, t, k/ are not aspirated. Aspirated [pʰ, tʰ, kʰ] have (in most dialects) secondarily developed by contractions or by borrowings from other languages (mainly standard German), e.g., /ˈphaltə/ 'keep' (standard German behalten [bəˈhaltn̩]); /ˈtheː/ 'tea' (standard German Tee [ˈtʰeː]); /ˈkhalt/ 'salary' (standard German Gehalt [ɡəˈhalt]).

In the dialects of Basel and Chur, aspirated /k/ is also present in native words.

Unlike Standard German, Swiss German /x/ does not have the allophone [ç], but is always [x], or in many dialects even [χ]. The typical Swiss shibboleth features this sound: Chuchichäschtli ('kitchen cupboard'), pronounced [ˈχuχːiˌχæʃtli].

Zen Monkey
2010-11-05, 09:46 AM
Like many of Lovecraft's works, the pronunciation is indescribable. Indescribable, I say! The mere thought of someone uttering that terrible name would drive you mad and cause you to see impossible colors and shapes! Mad!

Hmm, it seems there is a fine line between letting the audience fill in the details and lazy writing.

kamikasei
2010-11-05, 09:55 AM
Edit: perhaps this helps, from the Wikipedia article. I'm not sure, I don't actually understand all of it.
Yeah. The way Wikipedia phonetics articles are written is the reason I said I'd have to wait until I could listen to sound files :P

WalkingTarget
2010-11-05, 10:00 AM
It's kind of tricky to do kt without something like a vowel between them as both are stops and so there's necessarily a period after the k is released, so air is moving again without another real sound happening, followed by airflow being cut off again for the t. That brief aspiration gets labeled as a vowel by a lot of people. It's like in the Discworld book Pyramids how nobody could pronounce Pteppic correctly (either inserting a vowel between the p and t or just dropping the p entirely - same thing with real-world Ptolemy, really).

However, kth is easier (and is how I pronounce Cthulhu anyway - [kθulu] sometimes I drop in a hint of h in after the l, though).

Edit - the kuh-THOO-loo thing is noted as being "the easiest, though not the best way to say it" right at the beginning of the Call of Cthulhu rulebook, so that probably goes a long way towards spreading that pronunciation around.

Eldan
2010-11-05, 10:06 AM
Apparently, digging out phonetics from Wikipedia, I pronounce it χthulhu.

Morph Bark
2010-11-05, 10:13 AM
Apparently, digging out phonetics from Wikipedia, I pronounce it χthulhu.

With a Greek chi right? That's prettymuch how I pronounce it as-written, though the chi a bit harder than traditional Greek does perhaps.

kamikasei
2010-11-05, 10:13 AM
Okay, I can see how you'd sustain that, though I still don't see how you'd transition to the -th- without something vowelish in between. If I tried, I think the -th- would end up being elided.

With a Greek chi right? That's prettymuch how I pronounce it as-written, though the chi a bit harder than traditional Greek does perhaps.
According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Help:IPA), it's like "Don Juan".

TheEmerged
2010-11-05, 01:45 PM
It *has* to be a three-syllable pronunciation, or the following parody doesn't work...

*clears throat

The most frightening sound I ever heard:
Cthulhu, Cthulhu, Cthulhu, Cthulhu . . .
All the unholy sounds of the world in a single word . .
Cthulhu, Cthulhu, Cthulhu, Cthulhu . . .
Cthulhu!
I've just heard the call of Cthulhu,
I greet each morn with screams
For he shows his will in dreams
To me.
Cthulhu!
I've just heard the call of Cthulhu,
And suddenly I've found
How frightening a sound
Can be!
Cthulhu!
Say it loud and see cities falling,
Say it soft and feel the tentacles crawling.

Cthulhu,
I've just heard the call of Cthulhu!

The most unholy sound I ever heard.
Cthulhu.

(*paraphrased from something I read on the net years ago*)

valadil
2010-11-05, 03:17 PM
I find ka-THOO-loo easiest to pronounce. I've also used kit-HOO-loo.

I blame Metallica for some of the confusion since they spelled it differently in "Call of Ktulu" on Ride the Lightning. No idea why they spell it that way (maybe it was foreshadowing for their respect for copyright law), but having encountered that spelling first, I initially preferred a t sound over th. Maybe Stone and Parker made the same mistake.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-05, 03:30 PM
I blame Metallica for some of the confusion since they spelled it differently in "Call of Ktulu" on Ride the Lightning. No idea why they spell it that way (maybe it was foreshadowing for their respect for copyright law), but having encountered that spelling first, I initially preferred a t sound over th. Maybe Stone and Parker made the same mistake.

But one character in the show actually pronounces it with the "th" sound.

valadil
2010-11-05, 03:34 PM
But one character in the show actually pronounces it with the "th" sound.

TBH I think South Park is sloppy enough that that may just have been an accident or an oversight. They write and film each episode in about a week (as opposed to 8 months for an episode of The Simpsons). I hope they explain it in the following episodes, but I'm not counting on it.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-05, 03:37 PM
TBH I think South Park is sloppy enough that that may just have been an accident or an oversight. They write and film each episode in about a week (as opposed to 8 months for an episode of The Simpsons). I hope they explain it in the following episodes, but I'm not counting on it.

Doubt it. It does seem like something that they could have easily checked and fixed. I know it's minor, but it's one of those thing I find annoying.

Fawkes
2010-11-05, 03:46 PM
It's possibly that the writer's couldn't agree on the pronunciation, and just let the voice actors say it however felt natural.

I don't really think it's a big deal how they say it. It's supposed to be an unpronounceable word.

CrimsonAngel
2010-11-05, 03:47 PM
I think it is Ka-thoo-loo.

Starbuck_II
2010-11-05, 04:00 PM
I agree 3 sylable due to song:
Cthulhu F'thagn
what a wonderful phrase
Cthulhu F'thagn
Ain't no passin' craaaaaaze
IT MEANS NO WORRIES
for the rest of your days!
it's our problem free
philosophy! Cthulhu F'thagn!

The Glyphstone
2010-11-05, 04:01 PM
Min-yon. Sometimes Lah-Kee.:smallbiggrin:Kuh-thoo-loo.

Rockphed
2010-11-05, 04:17 PM
Min-yon. Sometimes Lah-Kee.:smallbiggrin:Kuh-thoo-loo.

How about Djinn-year.

I can feel my gut experiencing non-euclidean geometry.

Actually, I say it using the C from Cylon or Cyborg. Then I use the Th from then. Then I use the U from flu. Then I just say "loo".

Dr.Epic
2010-11-05, 04:21 PM
I don't really think it's a big deal how they say it. It's supposed to be an unpronounceable word.

Well, there better not be an Aza-"tot" in the next episode.:smallannoyed:

Eldan
2010-11-05, 04:32 PM
Well, there better not be an Aza-"tot" in the next episode.:smallannoyed:

And why not? After all, I always thought he'd be pronounced like Thoth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoth)

Loki_42
2010-11-05, 04:43 PM
I noticed that everyone in the episode pronounced it "Ka-Too-Loo" except for one person - the cult leader. When he first showed up, he pronounced it "Ka-Thoo-Loo," which is the proper* way according to the H. P. Lovecraft Historical Society and Chaosium Games, who produce the Cthulhu roleplaying games. I had actually been annoyed up until that point about the way they were saying it, but that scene made me crack up, even if they didn't mean for him to get it right.

*Actually, they say that its not the "proper" way since there are tons of ways to say it, some more right than others, but the "official" and generally accepted way is Ka-Thoo-Loo.

I actually think that might have been on purpose, I mean it's not like South Park has a very large voice cast.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-05, 04:48 PM
And why not? After all, I always thought he'd be pronounced like Thoth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoth)

I was making a joke that Azathoth shouldn't be pronounced like Aza-"tot".

Eldan
2010-11-05, 04:49 PM
I don't get the joke, then.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-05, 04:51 PM
I don't get the joke, then.

I thought the quotes made it clear, though maybe a like to Azathoth's wiki page would have helped.

Gensh
2010-11-05, 04:56 PM
I used to pronounce it ka-thoo-loo, but recently, I've been saying (k)thoo-lhoo, like a death wheeze. Metallica is the reason why the t is occasionally pronounced hard.

Eldan
2010-11-05, 04:58 PM
Nope. I even read the wiki page now. I'm absolutely puzzled and have no idea what you mean.

kamikasei
2010-11-05, 05:06 PM
Nope. I even read the wiki page now. I'm absolutely puzzled and have no idea what you mean.
I think it may be (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thoth#cite_note-0) that both "th.o.th" and "t.o.t" are valid pronunciations and you already use the latter.

Winter_Wolf
2010-11-05, 05:19 PM
I think the intention, from the way HPL described it, is that it's kind of the sound one might make if their throat was suddenly torn out. Lovely though, innit.

felinoel
2010-11-05, 05:27 PM
Odd, I just assumed it was for humor? I pronounce it as I was introduced it to be pronounced as, kah-thoo-loo

Though this is obviously a very bad representation of Cthulu, take a look at this video showing how large he is compared to Cartman, Cthulu is way too tiny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9sKeeO9h7o

Ravens_cry
2010-11-05, 06:01 PM
I pronounce it Keh-thoo-loo, 'th' as in thin. Is that right? Who cares, even the spelling is pretty all over the place, even in Lovecrafts work. I am guessing this was supposed to imply that we are not exactly pronouncing his name but merely a shadow of his name; the actual name being unpronounceable by human tongues. And even if we could, it would, like everything else, drive us mad, MAD!

Mauve Shirt
2010-11-05, 06:14 PM
I pronounce it kuh-thoo-loo. "kuh" is really short.

Spiryt
2010-11-05, 06:18 PM
I pronounce it ta"CT H"omer "ool ooo".

Just because. :smallcool:

RebelRogue
2010-11-05, 06:18 PM
It's stated, that Cthulhu has been spelled in various ways throughout history by various cults, like Tulu or Tutu. It's implied, that the spelling Cthulhu is not 'correct' but only the best approximation the latin alphabet can reproduce. There's is no "right" way of spelling or pronunciation that makes sense to a human being, essentially.

Teron
2010-11-05, 06:20 PM
If I remember correctly, I once read in a letter or some such written by Lovecraft that it's pronounced approximately like "Klooloo" with your tongue stuck to your palate.

For the sake of simplicity and recognisability, though, I usually pronounce it Kthooloo (two syllables).

LightsOnNo1Home
2010-11-05, 06:38 PM
If I remember correctly, I once read in a letter or some such written by Lovecraft that it's pronounced approximately like "Klooloo" with your tongue stuck to your palate.

For the sake of simplicity and recognisability, though, I usually pronounce it Kthooloo (two syllables).

I've read that letter as well, but I can't find it now.

I was thinking I'd dreamt it until I saw your post :)

WalkingTarget
2010-11-06, 01:03 AM

Oddly enough, "klooloo" is pretty much exactly how a friend's 4 year old daughter pronounced it when I gave her a plushie Cthulhu for her birthday.

Lhurgyof
2010-11-07, 11:29 PM
Oh jeez.. today I forgot lovecraft's name, and R.L. Stein's name came to me. Then I thought what it'd be like if R. L. Stein had written the Cthulhian mythos.

"Julie and the Non-Euclidean Horror"
"The Children that Chanted 'Yog Sothoth'"
"Oh God, Jimmy Can See Forever"

FoE
2010-11-07, 11:39 PM
Don't most of the Goosebumps books end with the main character managing to escape some PG-13 monster and then the ending reveals that the creature actually got them or a loved one?

So, basically like Lovecraft's stories, but with less emphasis on word count and blatant racism.

I always pronounced it "Keth-thoo-loo" myself, drawing out the last two syllables.

Amiel
2010-11-08, 12:58 AM
I think it was said that pronouncing Cthulhu was akin to swallowing your own tongue and then regurgitating it up in bits and pieces :smalleek:

dgnslyr
2010-11-08, 01:22 AM
Mortal vocal cords have insufficient dimensions to properly express the name of everybody's favorite Eldritch Abomination.

Personally, I go with kuh-thoo-loo.

Avilan the Grey
2010-11-08, 03:05 AM
How about "ink-for-brains?" :smallcool:

NeoRetribution
2010-11-08, 04:49 AM
"What?"

"I said, "Cthulhu!""

"Oh. Gesundheit."

Starbuck_II
2010-11-08, 06:27 AM
Don't most of the Goosebumps books end with the main character managing to escape some PG-13 monster and then the ending reveals that the creature actually got them or a loved one?

So, basically like Lovecraft's stories, but with less emphasis on word count and blatant racism.

I always pronounced it "Keth-thoo-loo" myself, drawing out the last two syllables.

Depends: Camp Monster you find out the main characters are monsters not humans at the end. It was a training exercise for when they come to earth.

hamishspence
2010-11-08, 06:56 AM
"What?"

"I said, "Cthulhu!""

"Oh. Gesundheit."

It's been said:

Might sound almost like a cross between a cough and a sneeze?

"Kth-ulu"

NeoRetribution
2010-11-08, 07:56 AM
Mine was an actual conversation that I participated in. So, yes, it was said.

Kato
2010-11-08, 09:05 AM
Well part from the fact of it being the mere reduction of something unpronouncable which would probably make your head explode and your intestines boil, I always went with something like K-too-loo.

Dread Cthulhu
2010-11-10, 09:37 AM
I've always said it as in here. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxScTbIUvoA)

Lhurgyof
2010-11-10, 09:47 AM
It's weird, when I say its name by itself, I pronounce it Ka thu lu, but if I'm saying it as part of a phrase, I say it Ka tu lu.

Asheram
2010-11-13, 09:13 PM
I've always pronounced it K'thul-u...