PDA

View Full Version : Magical Mounts & Combat Companions

Leon
2010-11-05, 09:04 AM
So we rescued the Griffon for the place that had it stolen and since we did it extremely well we were given the option of having a Creature trained for us as a Mount or a Pet as a reward instead of a 25% bonus to our 10k original reward.

The Monk is defiantly getting a Griffon of here own (which is going to be funny as she's a halfling) and the Fighter wants a Chimera (we have no idea why).

The rest of us have Writs to have one trained for us when we chose a beast and a 3shot teleport item to get to the very remote location and out.

Ive been through the MM and shortlisted a few creatures but was looking for suggestions about a wider array of creatures.
As a general idea on creature nothing more than INT 10 with lower numbers being better (as some party members have a bit of a issue with smarter creatures being mounts)

Upper size limit is not a issue (Roc was one of the suggested options) but we have to consider where we are going to stable the creature and our House does have a finite size

Sir Swindle89
2010-11-05, 09:14 AM
What is your character? race/class/alignment

Leon
2010-11-05, 09:39 AM
What is your character? race/class/alignment

Chaotic Neutral Human Cloistered Cleric/Barbarian

GodGoblin
2010-11-05, 09:43 AM
Ive always liked the idea of a Bullette as a mount. They are just damn cool and fit with the barbarian side of you as they do love charging things IIRC

Mordaenor
2010-11-05, 09:57 AM
Two Words: Dire Elephant.

Beelzebub1111
2010-11-05, 10:01 AM
Roc is an option? ROC? The 18 hit die gargantuan bird of death?

Leon
2010-11-05, 10:08 AM
Yep, its a nice option to have but as i said feeding it and a roosting place for it are things we have to factor in.

We live in Venice.

My 1st choice was a Blink Dog until it was pointed out that they are LG and my PC is borderline CE

Beelzebub1111
2010-11-05, 10:23 AM
I suppose...

How about Dragonne or Gray Render? a Yrthak would make a pretty awesome flying mount.

Coidzor
2010-11-05, 01:39 PM
The fighter could be wanting to get his own customized chimera, I believe there's a DIY template for them somewhere...
Yep, its a nice option to have but as i said feeding it and a roosting place for it are things we have to factor in.

We live in Venice.

If you're getting animals, unless you've got extradimensional living quarters, you might be better off acquiring some land in the surrounding country side for stabling and maintenance unless you only stay in Venice for your campaigns. A roc is going to be primarily useful for transportation and outdoor combat.... As even at huge you're not getting it in places...

Well, maybe, if you get a dungeonbred Roc, so it'll only be huge and then you can use magic to reduce to to large when you wanna get it in places. But I think that reduces many of the principle advantages of the roc to do so...x.x

Hmm. Warbeasties... Warbeasties...

I'm assuming no dinosaurs, what with being in Venice... As otherwise I'd suggest warbeast bloodstrikers as something to consider... Or Battletitans. Warbeast Dire elephant, also good, since it'd basically eat something like 10x feed for a horse, which is still quite affordable.

Let's see, flying mounts... wyverns, drakkensteeds, hippogriffs, spider eaters, giant wasps/fireflys, rocs of course, griffons, maybe a hieracosphinx?(A&EG has a price for 'em), dragonnes, dragonnels...

Are you a poisoner at all by any chance? (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4854.msg162789#msg162789) Because a creature with a nice poison would be very good to have around to make poisoning peeps more economical.

Handle Animal Guide (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871522/The_Handle_Animal_Guide)has some food for thought if you haven't checked it out yet.

Leon
2010-11-06, 05:42 AM
That guide was very good.

a Dungeon Bred Griffon I'll suggest for the Monk if we are allowed templates.