PDA

View Full Version : Fastest way tp Crimson Death

Lev
2010-11-05, 02:12 PM
I'm still fairly new to optimizing undead builds, but can someone give me a ballpark on the fastest way to summon, control or otherwise command a Crimson Death? (13HD CR11) MM2 pg. 53

Keld Denar
2010-11-05, 03:12 PM
Ephod of Authority gives +1 turn level. A Rod of Defiance lowers all turn resistance by 4 (which can go negative). Lyre of the Restful Souls is another -4, for 3000g.

Rod is 10,000g
Ephod is 800g
Lyr is 3000g
thats just south of 14,000g

Assuming it doesn't have Turn Resistance, it would be treated as a 5 HD undead when you rebuke it. Ephod makes you count as 1 level higher. You have to get an effective rebuking level of 10. Assuming you roll a 21+, with the Ephod you'd be at level +5, you could have one at cleric or dread necro 5, assuming you have 14,000g to blow.

Lev
2010-11-05, 03:14 PM
Nice setup, but is there any non-item reliant way?

Keld Denar
2010-11-05, 05:19 PM
Sadly, no. Not unless you can get your effective turning level up to 26 (double the 13 HD of the creature). There is Improved Turning, which gives you +1 level, but even then with a +4 Turning Level from your check, you'd still have to be level 21. Sadly, there is no Greater Rebuke, like there is Greater Turning for the sun domain, so you have to hit double their HD to command.

Lev
2010-11-05, 06:13 PM
Bah, there has to be a better way... I think I remember something....

After some digging, please PEACH these options! Thanks!

Leadership Feat? With a leadership score of 16 the libris mortis variant allows you to have a CR11 undead cohort, which assuming Charisma 20 is level 11 without modifiers, at a mimimum of level 6 to take leadership... which is looking like the best (albiet most risky) option.

Undead Lieutenant spell will increase the control capacity by double I believe? Or is there a number of undead capacity in ADDITION to an undead HD control cap?

General of Undeath for sure doubles your controlled HD as a level 8 cleric spell.

I could swear I remember seeing a +100HD bonus from a spell with a good duration on it somewhere, something like Army of Undeath? Anyone know?