PDA

View Full Version : For Science! Test Group B. Chapter one, Never West of the river Avon.

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-05, 04:27 PM
It is 20:17, December 1st, 2010 and the most painful part of the month has just ended. Rent has been paid. Having counted it the chunky slab of muscle and, concealed by a shirt, flesh-tone plastic, that is Frank turns and smiles.

"OK lads, that looks like everything. Only thing left is a message from Clockwork Harry. We wants a word with you in the bar, a word about money he would like you to have if you understand. Well, got to get the Noel recipes entered before I abed tonight. See ya!"

The Bar is about half an hour walk across town, you know of Dr Malcome Richards (Clockwork Harry to his friends, JUST his friends) but have never met him.

Doran
2010-11-05, 08:24 PM
Ark braced his forelegs against the wall, stacking the last box of gear on the set of shelves. "-Well I am always looking for cash, took me a while to get what needed from my last couple of builds at a decent enough price-". He spun off from the wall, coming down with an 8 legged thump, and scuttled over to the boxes forming the 'walls' of his enclosure within the warehouse. "-I may have some trouble just strolling across town, however. Ah, here it is!-"

He poked his bulbous head half out of a gap, a webcam smartphone clutched in a mandiple. "-If any of you genii are thinking of going along, mind taking this with you? s' a mundane that'll allow me to Skype in.-"

Malfunctioned
2010-11-06, 08:24 AM
Madhukar, or Ducky as he has become unfortunately known, looks at the camera phone and pulls on a pair of fingerless gloves, the palms covering the deep pits in the center of his hands covered by two thin flaps of skin.
"I'll do it if I must."
He reaches out and takes it, the muscles visible in his arms moving in ways that it's pretty clear they shouldn't. With his free hand he tucks a curly lock of dark brown hair behind his ear.

"I don't suppose any of you have any idea of what it may that he wants us to do?"

He pulls a heavy trenchcoat over himself.

Exthalion
2010-11-07, 12:00 AM
"I'm down with you vidconfrincing. Keep yours, mine will work fine." Alrai help up the PDA he never let from his sight and waved it around a little. "Which reminds me, I don't think I have your contact info yet, mind sharing?"

After a bit of one handed typing he goes on.

Duck, mind waiting a bit? Have to make a quick trip to the head, I mean 'WC'. Wouldn't want to have to pop out of an important conversation...

Once he was alone he slipped off his brown tee and jeans for something a little trendier. Of all the irritating things genii did, and there were many, the impractical clothing had to be the most personally inconvenient. A fiber optic grey/white shirt and similar pair of black pants should be strange enough for this crowd.

An now to the real reason for being alone, his magic!

In the old tongue of the Lost Isle he began, "Yet indeed I who have attained the heights of Obrimos, now seek to look beyond the skein of this fallen world..." A few short seconds of chanting and he reached out. For just an instant, the wavering dull veil parted and he had a glimpse of the supernal. Till the day he died nothing would ever compare to such an instant.

Walking out in his most uncomfortable apparel he slowly scans his roommates. He has not yet taken the time to do so. He envied them, what he saw now was unlike anything they could ever see unassisted. Oh they tried, some of their wonders even came close, but it could never be like this, to see with your own eyes the hidden secrets of the universe was a true gift.

"I believe I am ready to go. Ark, I hope you will not be too board."

Without watching to see if Ducky was following him he headed across the street to the bar. He ordered water with a slice of lemon and inquired after Dr. Richards. He had never heard of the man prior to Frank's comment. A few seconds on his PDA had been enough to bring him up to gossip level.

Walking around the bar, even across the street had been an experience. The clique was, "It was as if I had been blind my whole life. Yet now I see!". That didn't quite cover this sensation.

From a distance he scrutinized this 'Clockwork Harry'. Once he was certain he had seen everything he could he introduced himself.

"Dr., I have read a great deal about you, it is a pleasure to meet you." He offered his hand and gave a firm shake if it was offered. "May I join you?"

Malfunctioned
2010-11-07, 12:19 PM
Maduhkar follows behind Alrai, keeping enough of a distance to avoid necessitation of conversation. He approaches Clockwork Harry right after Alrai does.
"Good evening Doctor. You'll have to forgive me if I do not offer my hand.

I am Doctor Ragnos."

Exthalion
2010-11-07, 12:48 PM
"Oh ya, that reminds me." Reaching into his hip pocket Alrai pulled out his PDA and one handed a few keys. "There we go. Dr. One of our roommies couldn't come himself, hope you don't mind Skype."

Looking down at his PDA he began to mutter under his breath. Something about 'holographic transposition' and something that could have been Japanese.

"There we go," he turns back to look at Clockwork, "Sorry, new app I had to crack."

Doran
2010-11-07, 01:49 PM
Ark settles back into his piles of boxes as he gets the incoming call from Alrai on his Skype, keeping the camera on his side switched off for now, he accepts it before accessing the incoming video feed. "-Ah, Dr Richards, you'll forgive me if I do not shake hands. I understand you have some kind of potential job for our group.-"

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-07, 06:17 PM
"Yes. I am the head of a group of Geniuses known as 24D that are responsible for countering an annual maniacal hazard on behalf of the Peerage. I want you to understand that this is one of the most important things the Peerage does. Failure could bring about a global breakout crisis. It is scheduled to occur in 23 days time, at dusk, with a primary focal point 3 miles north of Bristol. Now the main team deals with the actual hazard, but we need secondary teams to deal with the mop up, the event generates vast quantities of Maniacal and Wondrous objects and individuals that need isolation and/or termination. I am willing to offer £850 for one night's work, paid in advance, a boon in the current season I am sure you will agree. Now then, do you wish to become involved in 24D?"

Malfunctioned
2010-11-07, 06:37 PM
"Money up front?" Madhukar pauses for a second.
"I am in. May I inquire as to the nature of the 'event'?"

Doran
2010-11-07, 07:16 PM
"-23 days time you say?" Ark chuckles hollowly "I am so in. Any idea why... that event... is centered near Bristol though?-". He squints at Harry's image on the feed, bring each glowing pairs eye of eyes into contact.

Rolling a scan: Wits + Computer + 1:
[roll0]

Exthalion
2010-11-07, 08:34 PM
Alrai was doing his best not to let any more of his unease show. After that scrutinizing the bar he was certain everyone around him and seen his reaction.

Now he turned his thoughts to a more familiar subject to calm himself. Weighing opportunity cost and marginal benefit equations flashed around in his head, and on his PDA screen as he absentmindedly modeled a few of them.

It was not his place to comment on his roommate dealings, but the way this was going, he was going to have to get involved. And that could very well mean something Vulgar. Now there was a shivering thought.

"You said isolation or termination. Is that really necessary? Also, what are the rules governing disposal or acquisition of these wonders?"

That was true, some of them did take Inspiration for granted. Some of them might not even be aware of it. Not like Awakening. There was no mistaking that for anything but what it was.

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-08, 03:27 AM
"The event is a quantum function, if unobserved he is in every location covered by the night simultaneously. The area we will be operating in is the one where the wave-function will form, it changes every year. If we catch him then he will never go unobserved, as to why it is necessary, I have here, some projections that explain why it is necessary to prevent it in case it is not obvious." He leafs through a stack of papers and hands Alrai a printout detailing the effects on the state of California. After going through 2 pages of detailed calculations it then has a summary:

Population of the state of California:37,221,852
Of which are children:9,383,924
Estimated contaminated locations:7,131,782
Estimated beholden:108,971
Of which are children:98,073
Estimated breakthroughs:42,861
Of which are children:38,574
Estimated fatalities:2,981,765
Of which are children:2,683,588
Estimated injuries:3,121,007
Of which are children:2,340,755
After it is clear that Alrai has finished reading he says "Havoc my boy, is a total infinity in your exponential. As for the residual materials, I understand that Geniuses retain them for research purposes of for their intended use. The Maniacal objects are safe enough if kept near Geniuses and it is standard practice to adopt stray wonders to prevent them becoming dangerous orphans and risking human lives."

Your scan reveals the following:
He is a human of regular chemical composition with an internal temperature 3 degrees higher than human average. He is not moving. His size is 5. His physical stats are Str: 3 Dex: 2 Sta: 2. He has 7 health, all present. He is metanormal with an advantage of 6 and 26 units of power. He is a Genius.

X15lm204
2010-11-08, 09:33 AM
Sean, who remained behind at the lab, joins the Skype connection on his laptop mid way through the conversation. Sorry I'm late, had to get something contained. Best case scenario, he mutters, the lab would have been taken over by various plant life. Worst case, The Blob.

As he is brought up to speed, Sean frowns and begins asking wary questions. Are we to be privy to the nature of this...hazard? And I'd quite like to know why it seems to be focused on children, if I'm reading those numbers correctly.

Exthalion
2010-11-08, 12:36 PM
"Moreover, you have not answered my question. I understand the severity of this event, I would wager the effect on children is related to potential and leave it at that. Individuals means humans to me. Genii or those in related states. It it really necessary to contain or eliminate them?"

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-08, 02:55 PM
"Ah, I understand, your narrow-mindedness lead to your failure to understand, the individuals I am referring to are Manes. Fairly good-natured ones as it happens but dangerous nonetheless and if at liberty they would cause the damage stated here." He leans closer. "Could you do with a drink? You look pale. they do some very nice virgin drinks and pick me ups here, including a rather good dynamite special."

Malfunctioned
2010-11-08, 06:04 PM
"We get in, we clean up, we go home. Is that it?"
He licks his lips hungrily.
"What kind of food do they do here?"

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-08, 06:07 PM
"More or less." The doctor slides you a menu. Looking though it, it seems to be your standard pub grub, pies, curries, steak and so on. Nothing odd there...

Doran
2010-11-08, 06:52 PM
Ark ponders over the possible enounters, "-Can you send us records of previous events and the usual wonders and manes to be expected? It would be a good idea to prepare ourselves between now and then.-"

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-08, 06:55 PM
"We may have. I wonder..." He looks at you as if he is expecting to hear something.

Exthalion
2010-11-08, 08:12 PM
"Thank you for your concern, but my water is fine.

The American squeezed the lemon into his glass and took a deep pull, emptying it.

I wonder, the taint of the Abyss is obvious in these Inspired. But is it an innate property, of due only to the vulgarity of their wonders? Most assuredly there is the presence of the Supernal in them. But are they in need of pity or respect? I will have to discover this on my own. Perhaps when my own Enlightenment is greater I will see all the more clearly.

Finishing, he let out a soft sigh before continuing.

I hope you do not take my ignorance as a sign of a closed mind, only one not yet full. I will reserve my judgement as to these Manes, but I will assist you in this.

I must ask however, what determined your choice of example for likely effects? It seems a strange choice in isolation." The hint was obvious; it wasn't pulled down from the aether.

Doran
2010-11-09, 07:04 AM
"-Fine, I'll say it out loud. We're going to steal Christmas to save the world-" Ark thinks over his recollections of Christmas "-So assuming the main team you mentioned is after a mane of Father Christmas and sleigh, we're collecting up the various presents he hands out? Will we have to face elf manes?-"

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-09, 04:17 PM
"More or less, yes."

Exthalion
2010-11-09, 04:43 PM
Alrai said nothing to that, though his right eye twitched once...or twice

X15lm204
2010-11-09, 04:48 PM
Sean sighs, massaging his forehead. Beating up Saint Nick and stealing Christmas is certainly not how I expected to begin my career...but I suppose I'm in regardless. Is this to be on the sixth or the twenty fourth? I suppose the latter is more likely if it's worldwide, but just to be sure...

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-09, 04:51 PM
"24th, hence 24D. I realise that you may find this distasteful, but realise the danger also. He is a Mane. He is NOT a jolly man who gives toys to children, he is a dangerous entity that gives time-bombs to the most defenceless, even if he can't understand that."

Exthalion
2010-11-10, 11:31 AM
"And we have the good fortune not to be facing what may or may not be a treasured childhood image which came to symbolically represent the peak of joy and hope for which an entire year was endured."

The sardonism was evident.

"So, payment in advance? That will be fine. Now if you will be so kind as to answer the rest of our questions we can conclude this business and you can move on to what I am certain is more important things."

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-10, 03:00 PM
"The event is focused in this area due to the interplay of Mania on a global scale, as tracked by a tracking of market pressures, a random sampling of the linguistic cadence of intercepted Dear Santa letters, weather patterns, the volume of Santa Stop Here signs (and similar) and cotton wool purchased and so on.

The main vessel will destroy or intercepted by the core team, you will be intercepting debris and escapee manes. If the main vessel becomes unobserved the quantum effects will cause the precipitation of hazardous wonders all over the globe.

Imagine this. Little John and Sue come down Christmas Day, careful not to disturb mum and dad, because they are good little children. They disturb the Maniacal gifts they are left and they tear them apart. And this happens in millions of homes all over the world and" Suddenly the doctor's even tone shatters and he wheels on Alrai, small flames flickering out of his mouth as he shouts.

"I DO NOT APPRECIATE YOUR TONE OR YOUR INSINUATION YOU ARROGANT LITTLE PRIG! WE HAVE AN OBLIGATION TO PROTECT HUMANITY FROM EVENTS AND KNOWLEDGE THAT WILL HARM IT AND THE SOONER YOU REALISE THAT THE BETTER YOUR CHANCES OF AVOIDING THE BIG BURN!! I DON'T CARE WHAT HE LOOKS LIKE OR WHAT HE THINKS, HE IS GOING TO SLAUGHTER INNOCENT CHILDREN. AND GUESS WHAT? HE IS POWERFUL, CHILDREN ASCRIBE A LOT OF POWER TO A QUASI-DEIFIC ENTITY AND SOMETIMES WE CAN'T RISK DISABLING IF WE HAVE THE CHANCE FOR A KILL." He calms down and the flames stop appearing.

"I am leaving the contracts here. Give them to Frank, he will get them to me and . Now I am going."

Doran
2010-11-10, 06:53 PM
Ark waits for Clockwork to get out of earshot, before remarking to Alrai - "-You should be careful about snarking around high level Inspired. They are often subtle and quick to anger, know what I mean?-." Ark settles back a bit on his rear legs "-Anyway, anyone taking a shot of the contract for us back at the lab to look over?-"

Exthalion
2010-11-10, 09:10 PM
Very quietly while Clockwork walked away Alrai whispered under his breath, "Dominus irae ira dominum. Vos ex patre Abysso, estis et desideria patris debes facere." Though that was not what he heard in his own ears.

He tilts his phone down at the contracts for an instant. That should be more then enough for Ark. He gathers up three of them and begins to walk back to the lab, on the look out for any suspicious auras.

On the way he chats with Ark on the other end. "So tell me, what can you gather about Clockwork? You noticed he had a high degree of inspiration. Anything else raise a flag?"

It wouldn't do to reveal myself too quickly to them. However if that one has a wonder it might expose me. I must be certain my contingencies are ready. I do hope I am not forced to do anything... vulgar

Then again, what right do I have to lie to them? They don't disrupt my magic which means they won't invite paradox. Can I really say it is for there own good, or that just a lie I want to tell myself? 'This above all: to thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any man' Funny, that man has changed so little since then.

It is a strange contradiction. The power of the Genii and of the Prime Movers is routed in change, in progress. But how much really changes? The fundamental nature of man must remain the same else all is lost. The ubermensch may be distant dream but even Nietzsche failed to realize an important fact; even should the new man attain greater heights then the current he does so only by standing on the foundation they laid. One cannot be free of the past anymore then substance can be free of essence.

While he walks he reads over the contract very carefully. Subtle clauses, obligations, in short anything which was not already agreed to.

It is somewhat arrogant though, to assume that only the fully Awakened truly understand the way of things. Clockwork's ability to misconstrue jest might result from my Americanisms as much as from his Inspiration. I suppose there is the matter of principle which says that I do not owe him an apology since I am innocent of what he accused me. However interpersonal relationships, and moreover the acceptance of an apparently high ranking member of the Genius community are, on balance, worth more then my pride.

It is interesting that he really didn't answer all of our questions. While a situation might arise where it would be appropriate to ask them again I would guess based on his response that he has at least some small skill in deflection.

The fact that he is mad does not preclude that he is clever. A lesson I must take to heart around these Inspired.

When he was back at the lab he handed two of the contracts to his present roommates before saying, "When your done signing there is something I would like to discus."

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-11, 03:07 AM
The contacts are very clear, easy to follow and simply say you agree to go to a certain GPS location with any and all equipment you feel would be useful and use it to contain the metanormal threat to the best of your capabilities in exchange for the agreed sum. No hidden clauses, no tricks, very little legalise.

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-12, 01:39 PM
Are you guys all ok with skipping ahead to the next scene? It's about a week later so you get downtime. When we skip, y'all gain 2xp

Doran
2010-11-12, 04:08 PM
I wouldn't mind sending Ark to check out the GPS coords first though. That's all though
Also, what is the xp to dot/inspiration conversion rate?

Ark checks his contract, seeing no funny or worrisome clauses. He checks the GPS co-ordinates online, before, in the early hours of the morning, creeping into the river Avon. He moves towards the location, using the rivers and sewers for cover, before scouting the location out., checking if it is a potential ambush or trap.

If he sees nothing untoward, he heads back to sign it.

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-12, 04:15 PM
XP costs are on page 87. Inspiration is New dotsx8 Plus a thesis.

The co-ordinates are in a field. There are signs of cows having been here. There is grass and also some small birds. There is nothing else of note. However, as you are in the Avon roll Witts+Composure.

Doran
2010-11-12, 04:30 PM
Wits + Composure:
[roll0]

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-12, 04:31 PM
Ok then. Ho hum.:smallwink:

Doran
2010-11-12, 04:42 PM
Ark does a quick scan of the area with the eight fold vision

[roll0]

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-12, 04:43 PM
Oh look! Water!:smalltongue:

Oh right! The field.

There is a strange interference on your super-science scan, like a layer of cling-film over the lens. Otherwise nothing.

Doran
2010-11-12, 04:46 PM
But nothing on the Dimensional or Metanormal Scans?

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-12, 04:47 PM
No. Nothing that you can see.

Doran
2010-11-12, 04:53 PM
Ark wonders if this possibly a trap, and goes to just outide the field (where the interference occurs, and tries channeling a point of mania from his UPP, checks the effect with a scan, then a point of mana into the area, rechecking with a scan.

If no effect, he finishes off and heads back, casually mentioning to his collaborative his findings

Channeling both directly from the capacitor taking two scenes.

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-12, 04:56 PM
This turns up nothing new.

Exthalion
2010-11-12, 05:25 PM
OOC: I meant to do this prior to the skip but then people didn't answer...

When Ark returned Alrai was waiting for him. "Hello Ark. Would you mind waiting here a moment, there is something I want to talk to you and all of the others about. Before we do this Christmas thing."

Doran
2010-11-12, 05:34 PM
"-Yes, what is it?-"

Just so you know I'm assuming that Ark knows/suspects Alrai to be a mage, due to the afore-mentioned scanning device, but is keeping quiet about it, for now.

Exthalion
2010-11-12, 05:54 PM
"I'd prefer if everyone was here. This isn't the kind of thing I want to say more then once.

While we wait though, would you mind telling me more about your wonders? There seems to be a very particular theme to them and I don't think I have ever seen you leave that spider tank of yours."

Doran
2010-11-12, 06:40 PM
"-As to your first question, my preliminary wonders, were designed to enhance and fortify my current form. The choice abilities per taining to that of a spider was more of stylitic then anything else, although it will be good for intimidating attackers.-"

"-To your second, during a previous skirmish, my body became destroyed, my associates manged to retrieve my brain and combine it with one of my existing wonders, this tank you see before you.

The process seems to have damaged my memory, particularly my knowledge of the axioms, so I was forced to make new addons-".

Ark looks Alrai inquisitively. "-I must ask you in return, what are the nature of your abilities?-".

Scanning Alrai:
[roll0]

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-12, 06:43 PM
Standard success there so, you know, look at his sheet. It does not tell you he is a Mage, just a Metanormal.

Doran
2010-11-12, 06:47 PM
Yup he's confirming that Alrai is a human Metanormal but not a genius.

Malfunctioned
2010-11-13, 06:07 AM
Madhukar calmly walks into the room and sits down.
"I believe you wanted me for something?"

He starts tapping his foot impatiently.

X15lm204
2010-11-13, 09:32 PM
Sean walks towards the others, softly dictating into a tape recorder. -liquids into aperture. Introduced saline solution; increased growth of glass spines by 1.4 millimetres per minute, slowed steel 2.3 millimetres per minute; .2 and .3 more and less respectively than pure water. Aperture radius increased by .6 millimetres per -

He stops as he sees Ark and Alrai's little stare-down, watching the two of them cautiously. Have I missed something?

Exthalion
2010-11-14, 03:33 PM
"No actually, we were waiting for you to join us. If you would please have a seat."

Alrai took a very visible breath and exhaled slowly.

"Grant that I should act in discerning and view with sight unveiled that which what it is I aught to do. For I am but a humble creature and I do not know all the Mysteries of my good hope."
"Ne prends point garde à son visage, ni à la grandeur de sa taille; car je l'ai rejeté. L'Éternel ne regarde point à ce que l'homme regarde; l'homme regarde à ce qui paraît aux yeux; mais l'Éternel regarde au cœur."

Opening his eyes he surveyed those present carefully. Should any hint come that they sought to move against him he was ready. Though it be vulgar magic, more vulgar by far was that these were as close to friends as he had.

"This... is not particularly easy to say so please bear with me. When we were first introduced I spoke of a higher world, and earnestly seeking it. Though I did not lie to you then I was not entirely truthful.

I have seen that world; walked in it. As one or more of you may have guessed, I am not Inspired. The things I do are not wonders, of some cleverness or subtlety. Instead they come from me only."

Here he paused a moment to let them ask questions or take all this in. It was entirely possible they would think him mad, but then again weren't they already in that camp? He could supply proof if it was needed, but he dearly hoped he would not have to.

Doran
2010-11-14, 04:14 PM
Ark's emotions are first suprised, then hopeful and gleeful.

"-So you are a Mage then, as I suspected?-" Ark's eyes glow cheerily "-Excellent! I've been looking to uncover links between your Magic and our Mania, and have already developed a device to convert between the two, and various other form of power-". He indicates with one maniple the port below his eyes. "-But enough about me, why did you decide to join a Collaborative of Genuises?-"

Exthalion
2010-11-17, 12:59 AM
Alrai raised his eyebrow slightly, "I would be very interested to hear how you would even guess that. Or even know what a Mage is.

However yes, I am a Mage. I joined up with you to try to help you. Me, and those of like mind, believe that as mankind increases in knowledge and progresses in understanding to draws nearer to the Supernal World."

Doran
2010-11-17, 06:35 PM
Ark is feeling guarded

Ark's eyes bright quizzically and he attempt an eight legged shrug "-How do you know about Geniuses? It's a big world out there, I've done considerable research into the metanormal, and Mages were one of the things I came across.-" He taps his eyes, "-As for knowing how you were a Mage, my scanning wonders helped out quite a bit.-"

"-In any case, I should use the rest of the night to gain more knowledge of Bristol. Evenin' all-" He twirls a tentacle in an exaggerated guesture, and heads up a wall and through the roof doors.

Vote for timeskip, with Ark using his spare time at night to investigate Bristol, insofar as much as giant climbing submersible tank can.

Malfunctioned
2010-11-17, 07:01 PM
Voting for a timeskip here. Ducky can be in the main lab all the while, trying to extract and engineer some new retrovirus or something like that. :smalltongue:

X15lm204
2010-11-17, 09:55 PM
Sean slowly tugs off his reading glasses and folds them up, frowning as he considers the implications of what he has been told - both the confession and the...spells, presumably...that preceded it. He has to assume that Alrai did not expect his British companions to understand the French, but he decides to take the implied message to heart anyway.

I have to say, I'm surprised that you would tell us this so soon, he finally says. In your position I would have waited a good deal longer - given my companions more time to learn who I was before telling them what I was.

I understand that some of the Inspired take a dim view of Mages, believing their magic to be as unnatural as their counterparts view our wonders. But... He looks around at the rest of the collective. ...I do not think that will be a problem here. So long as you keep any speeches concerning your awe-inspiring divinity compared to us puny mortals to a minimum, thanks.

In fact... I've heard that Mages concern themselves with several planes of existence beyond the immediately familiar. If you ever have time to discuss the implications thereof concerning some of my discoveries, I'd greatly appreciate your insight.

Though at first a bit wary, Sean's friendliness never fades, and he quickly becomes more and more excited as he speaks. A steady, carefully suppressed undercurrent of tired worry rests below it all

Exthalion
2010-11-17, 10:34 PM
"I... appreciate that. More then I can adequately express to you."

He smiles a bit and the tension in his shoulders drains a little.

"I had planned on waiting. Quite a bit longer in fact. However, if you don't mind a little preaching, I was compelled to do so. It would do you no harm, and the only way I could keep it going was by deliberate lying.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I have no right to deceive you all. The fact that I have to power to make certain you believed my lies made it even more important that I not let myself be tempted.

Ultimately it came down to trust. Either I was going to trust you or I was not. If you proved unworthy of that trust it would be my shame to... rectify the problem I had created.

But enough of that. I would love to discuss the nature of the planes with you. My path has not taken me far down he road of the spirits, so I will not be as knowledgeable a source as I might have been I am afraid."

X15lm204
2010-11-17, 11:11 PM
Sean smiles. Any suggestion as to where the emanations I'm dealing with might - or might not - be coming from would be quite helpful to my research. Thank you, Alrai.

Exthalion
2010-11-17, 11:23 PM
"I would have to know a bit more about your work, I confess I have had other things on my mind, and your understanding of it. I do have some thoughts though, I hope you don't get offended when I express them. We Mages have views on the supernatural which not all others accept.

However, before we get much farther I must warn you, all of you including Ark, that though I have shared this secret with you, it is not yours to share. I am not the only one protected by being unknown, and some who's power far exceeds my own will go to great lengths to keep knowledge of magic from other hands. In short, be careful in what you do because of this."

Doran
2010-11-18, 02:29 PM
About a week later, Ark scuttles out of the river Avon, shaking himself off, before quickly moving through the doors of the warehouse into the main lab.

He goes to his corner nest and logs on to one of the computers lying around there, muttering to himself "-Let's see, large vessel, moves in quick bursts. I'll check the mundane and Genius websites before pulling on my contacts...-"

Not sure if this is right but rolling Intelligence + Computer for researching, if this fails going to try to pull some contacts Genous around Bristol

Doran
2010-11-18, 02:30 PM
Intelligence + Computer
[roll0]

Exthalion
2010-11-19, 02:15 AM
In the past week Alrai has spent a great deal of time alone in his room, emerging only after long stretches of many hours. At all hours of the night and day he could be heard chanting; sometimes a recognizable language, sometimes gibberish, sometimes only a silence pregnant with power. Each time he emerged something seemed different, as if a power of some sort had settled on him.

Read Matrices
Dice Pool: Wits+Science+Forces+High Speech = 1+4+3+2=10
[roll0]
Target: 5 [1+4 successes (Duration One Month)]

For Alrai it had been a wearying ordeal. The first day he had concentrated on the Arcanum of Forces, with which he was most proficient. Power had flowed over him and through him. With familiar ease he had worked his Unveiling and Shielding had come like water flowing down hill.

After such success he had been prepared to tackle the Mind Arcanum. Though The first Unveiling he had performed, an Imagio he was familiar with though not by Rote, had been a little effort but had left him hopeful.

After four days of extended casting punctuated by periods of sleep in excess of fifteen hours he was free of that illusion. Each spell had been an exercise in both patience and endurance.

Now though his wards were raised and his eyes open. He had reached the limit of his skill for such long term preparations. He would have to wait until the appointed day came closer before he could start working on the practices with which he was not as familiar.

Both the earlier improvised casting and his own lack of a Hallow had left his Mana pool dangerously low. Thus, after finishing his casting only one option remained to him.

Bracing himself for the pain Alrai scoured his own pattern, restoring Mana to his reserve. It was not enough to fill it, and several days of such would be required.

The life of a Mage was never guaranteed to be easy.

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-19, 12:16 PM
[roll0]Here is arks 10 again.

OK. The vehicle is moving in a manner consistent with a squid. As such it is not consistent with any mundane vehicle. The vehicle is 8 meters wide and these two together mean that it does not fit known Peerage or Lemurian vessels.

For some reason when you tried the Mane search you found you got a 722 Error:This Feature To Be Implemented Later.

Doran
2010-11-19, 01:09 PM
Ark scratches his lower head plates reflectively. He calls out to the others around the lab "-Any of you guys heard of any Inspired vessels, Manes or not, that move like squids? Encountered one in the Bristol Channel. I might contact our landlord or Clockwork Harry to sse if they've got any info-"

Exthalion
2010-11-20, 12:20 PM
Alrai fell asleep in a chair, the most comfortable one in the lab it should be noted, and has been unmoving for some ten hours. After recovering from the first scouring of his pattern he had performed the same action again today. While sleep wasn't necessary for recovery the burning of adrenalin the even had caused made one inclined to lethargy.

Doran
2010-11-20, 02:02 PM
"-No-one interested?, Ah well-". Ark calls Frank on Skype "-Hey, it's Ark, just encountered some kind of Inspirational squid vehicle in the channel. You wouldn't happen to know anything about it, would you?-"

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-20, 02:08 PM
"Squid? That, um, could be a lot of things. Yes. Lots of things. Yes.

Come by mine later this evening with your data please."

He rings off.

Malfunctioned
2010-11-20, 03:02 PM
Madhukar quickly leaned from out of his small section of the lab, some unidentified green liquid spotting his lab coat.
"Unfortunately vehicles aren't exactly the area of my expertise. What did Frank have to say about it?"

Doran
2010-11-20, 03:44 PM
"-Sounded like he knew something about it but didn't want to say. Maybe its his? In any case, he wants me to bring the data along to his lab this evening, anyone fancy coming along? I'll be taking the rooftops-" While speaking Ark makes a copy of the data and backs it up on a remote server.

Evil DM Mark3
2010-11-20, 05:41 PM
OK, I am making a decision, because of the spotty attendance of some players both groups are below a functional level. Test Group B join thread A, anyone who has not posted in the last 48 hours has until 9pm, GMT, on Monday to move their character sheet over to As OOC thread or be booted.