PDA

View Full Version : Building Something

Boren
2010-11-05, 11:47 PM
Yah my first post on this scrap it.

Ok....so my DM just announced the next campaign and told us to start thinking about characters for it. Here is the general plot:
The blood war has finally moved from law vs chaos to good vs evil and the armies of the abyss are marching on the celestial realms.
Our place in this world:
Several anonymous members of the infernal hierarchy have some concerns that this shift might endanger there plans, agendas, useful lifespans...you know minor details like that.
Our Existence: We are a group of mercs hired by said members to set things right. Long term contract and we start small but our job is to disrupt the efforts of the abyss in its invasion of the heavens.
Bonus Objective: Do as much damage to the celestial realms as possible; after all the perfect outcome would be if no one won this little cosmic scrap.

Now for the playground: I'm trying to build a PC to end up a necromancer lord. I'm looking for a build that maximizes spell casting preferably with a duel advancement path but that can still control large amounts of the strongest undead reasonably possible. Armored casting a plus as I find the idea of ending up looking something like the Witch King highly amusing. I'm thinking something that uses the Ur-Priest class would work well and I've found the feats to let me take the first level at 5th but I'm having some issues getting the rest of the framework to stick; and avoid MAD disorder as my first build idea depended on 3 :smallyuk: and right now all my current possible plans are still running 2 :smallfrown: Advice please

Keld Denar
2010-11-05, 11:49 PM
Dread Necromancer20? Full Rebuking, full casting with a necromantic theme.

Go with Illumian (Races of Destiny) as a race, NaenHoon sigils for the free pseudo-Divine Metamagic ability twice per day. Use this to cast Fell Animating spells to get minions even before you learn Animate Dead.

Boren
2010-11-05, 11:53 PM
Dread Necromancer20? Full Rebuking, full casting with a necromantic theme.

Go with Illumian (Races of Destiny) as a race, NaenHoon sigils for the free pseudo-Divine Metamagic ability twice per day. Use this to cast Fell Animating spells to get minions even before you learn Animate Dead.

Illumian as the race is one of the few things I had definitively decided on works wonders for early entry requirements :smallsmile:
Hard to pass up the Ur priests early path to 9th level spells tho...:smallconfused::smallconfused:

Keld Denar
2010-11-05, 11:57 PM
Both have Rebuke Undead, so you wouldn't get it twice. Really, duel advancement wouldn't REALLY be worth it here. You can take Arcane Disciple (Evil) to pick up things like Desecrate to help you along.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-11-06, 04:51 AM
isn't there a Necromancy Handbook somewhere? i remember reading it a few days ago. i think it warned against taking Dread Necro over 8th level and that Clerics were the best Necros out there

EDIT: found this with my Googlefu: K's Revised Necromancy Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=8hf2na7c6fi1jp86sl1vcdncp7&topic=5584.0)

Amphetryon
2010-11-06, 07:04 AM
There's also: a Dread Necromancer's Handbook (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872470/New_Dread_Necromancer_Handbook).