PDA

View Full Version : [OSRIC] Racial stats for Lizard Men and Dark Elves?

Ichneumon
2010-11-06, 05:32 AM
I'm planning a future D&D campaign using the OSRIC rules and I was thinking about including Lizard Men and Dark Elves (Drow) as race options for the players. However, I can't find players stats for them (and I can't find any stats at all for Dark Elves). Can anyone help me? Also, do you have any comments, advise, on including them? Thanks!

Escheton
2010-11-06, 06:11 AM
I have no idea what Osric is and if it mods the stats or not, but they can all just be found in the monster manuals.

Yora
2010-11-06, 08:07 AM
My guess would be that you have to come up with something yourself. I think OSRIC doesn't intend for players to play monsters.

Amphetryon
2010-11-06, 09:08 AM
I have no idea what Osric is and if it mods the stats or not, but they can all just be found in the monster manuals.

OSRIC (http://www.knights-n-knaves.com/osric/a1.html). 1E and 0E (the little grey booklets) D&D.

The Big Dice
2010-11-06, 10:59 AM
OSRIC (http://www.knights-n-knaves.com/osric/a1.html). 1E and 0E (the little grey booklets) D&D.

OSRIC is AD&D. Swords and Wizardry (http://www.swordsandwizardry.com/) is 0E. Dark Dungeons (http://darkdungeonsblog.wordpress.com/) is Rules Compendium / BECMI.

Retro clones are awesome. And free too.

Ichneumon
2010-11-06, 11:22 AM
In that case, I think I'll just homebrew something. It isn't my intention to allow the players to play "monsters". The lizard men will be a bit more "civilized" than standard lizard men and will be somewhat on par with orcs.

Retro clones are awesome.

Completely agree.

Do you think there's any interest on these board for a pbp game of AD&D?

Matthew
2010-11-06, 01:17 PM
For dark elves there are rules in Unearthed Arcana, and for Lizard Men second edition provided some in the Complete Book of Humanoids and Skills & Powers. Probably you are better off making up your own, but I can search some of the details down if you need them.

Ichneumon
2010-11-06, 02:34 PM
I think I'll just use the standard elf stats for dark elves. I quite like the idea of dark elves being "just elves" but subterranean.

Basically, for the lizard men I got inspired by reading The Order of the Stick and seeing all the lizardfolk integrated as a "standard civilized race" in society. That's basically what I am aiming for, not a "savage beast", although certainly a bit more savage than your average elf. So, would the following stats be around the strength of the other races? I don't want the lizard men to stick out. I don't think they'd be overpowered. The only real "thing" they have is their swim speed and that's not really overpowered in a non-sea campaign. Of course, there isn't much balance between the other races in the first place, humans are just human and half-orc doesn't have much at all. Of course, with AD&D, the reason for playing a different race should be mostly fluff, otherwise humans never get played.:smalltongue:

+1 Constitution (reptiles are tough), -1 Dexterity (reptiles are cold-blooded and thus have relatively slow reflexes)

Languages: Common, lizard men-ish, orcish, elvish

Class Options: Assassin, Cleric, Fighter and all combinations.

Infravision: none.

Movement: 60 ft and 120 ft swimming speed.

They'd use the Half-orc's table of maximum/minimum ability scores and their level limits would also be somewhat like the half-orcs.

Valameer
2010-11-06, 03:18 PM
Do you think there's any interest on these board for a pbp game of AD&D?

Yes. Yes there is. :smallsmile:

So long as there wasn't much emphasis on optimization. I mean, you roll what you roll, right? Hard to optimization that kind of randomness without divine intervention.

Matthew
2010-11-06, 10:21 PM
I think I'll just use the standard elf stats for dark elves. I quite like the idea of dark elves being "just elves" but subterranean.

Yeah, that is what I do.

Basically, for the lizard men I got inspired by reading The Order of the Stick and seeing all the lizardfolk integrated as a "standard civilized race" in society. That's basically what I am aiming for, not a "savage beast", although certainly a bit more savage than your average elf. So, would the following stats be around the strength of the other races? I don't want the lizard men to stick out. I don't think they'd be overpowered. The only real "thing" they have is their swim speed and that's not really overpowered in a non-sea campaign. Of course, there isn't much balance between the other races in the first place, humans are just human and half-orc doesn't have much at all. Of course, with AD&D, the reason for playing a different race should be mostly fluff, otherwise humans never get played.:smalltongue:

+1 Constitution (reptiles are tough), -1 Dexterity (reptiles are cold-blooded and thus have relatively slow reflexes)

Languages: Common, lizard men-ish, orcish, elvish

Class Options: Assassin, Cleric, Fighter and all combinations.

Infravision: none.

Movement: 60 ft and 120 ft swimming speed.

They'd use the Half-orc's table of maximum/minimum ability scores and their level limits would also be somewhat like the half-orcs.

I would be inclined towards a +1 bonus to strength and +1 constitution, and a −1 to dexterity and charisma. Probably they should also have a natural armour class of 8 [i.e. they always have the equivalent of leather armour, but no bonus when wearing better types], and be able to employ a natural attack routine of 1-2/1-2/1-6 (with strength bonus applying to only one attack, presumably the bite). Some sort of susceptibility to the cold might also be included for flavour reasons, otherwise I think you are pretty much good to go.