PDA

View Full Version : Breath-weapon focus

Mystify
2010-11-06, 12:05 PM
I am trying to play a half-dragon with a focus on using their breath weapon. I have managed to cobble together enough feats to boost the reflex save by 4, be allowed to use it every 1d4-1 rounds, and have found an item to increase the damage by 1 die and add another 1 to the DC. It is a gestalt character, So I am planing on being part sorcerer so I can cast the breath-weapon augmenting spells.

Here are the things I currently have:
Half howling dragon(sonic cone weapon, sonic immunity)

Dragon Breath(races of dragon):
breath weapon every 1d4 rounds

Ability focus(breathe weapon)(savage species):
+2 DC

Reverbation(savage species):
+2 DC(since it is a sonic attack)

rapid breathe(savage species):
-1 duration between breathe(1d4-1 rounds, 0 means use next round)

Dragon spirit cinture(Magic item compendeum)
2000gp
+1 dice of damage on breath weapon, +1 DC if using weapon of same type

and key sorcerer spells:
1: Breath flare: fire or electricity only, daze creature (only useful after substitution)
4:rebuking breathe
4:blinding breathe(fire or eletricity only), blindcreature (only useful after substitution)
5:Dispelling Breath
5:Breath Weapon Subtitution
5:Stunning breathe
7:Animate Breath
8:Stunning Breath, Greater
9:Enervating breathe
9:Breathe weapon admixture

All of these spells are in the spell compendeum.

Does anyone know of any way to increase the size/damage of your breath weapon? I know there are a couple of classes that offer a breath weapon through class progression, such as dragon shaman, but that doesn't boost an existing breath weapon, and it wouldn't actually yield a stronger weapon till ECL 18(my DM agreed to lower the LA of half-dragon by 1 to compensate for gestalt). I want some way to keep it competitive at higher levels. Any other suggestions for a good class to pair with sorcerer or other items would be good.

This is an evil character(either chaotic or neutral), and is quite willing to accept more questionable alternatives, such as grafts.

Also, can I get the metabolic fire draconic graft(races of the dragon), which gives you a breathe weapon every 1d4 rounds, or do I not qualify since I already have one? If I do qualify, would I have 2 seperate weapons on seperate cooldowns, or would it function as an alternative?

Last Laugh
2010-11-06, 12:32 PM
Probably gonna get Ninja'd buuuut
Dragon Fire Adept from Dragon Magic is an Invoker class like the warlock and has a nice breath weapon. I think it complements the Sorcerer well. There is no reason you can't be a Half-Dragon Dragonfire Adept. (Metabreath the heck out of your Half-dragon breath weapon, spam your DFA breath weapon.)

It has an awkward progression table but it is basically +1d6/2 DFA levels. (around level 13 it starts slowing down a little) ending at 9d6 at level 20
They get access to a crazy awesome breath effect called the Five-Fold Breath of Tiamet. it does the damage of 5 breath attacks at once.

Don't forget about Entangling Exhalation from Races of the Dragon. It cuts the damage from your breath in half, but entangle everyone it damage (no save?) for 1d4 rounds and takes 1d6 damage each round.

If you are going Half-Dragon pick up some tasty tasty metabreath feats from Draconomicon. They increase the cooldown timer on your breath weapon to improve it(maximize, quicken, enlarge, widen, extend, etc)

Edit: I wasn't :smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2010-11-06, 12:38 PM
You need the Draconomnomnomnomnomnomnomicon. There are lots of metabreath feats there like Lingering Breath and Maximize Breath and Quicken Breath. There is also the Recover Breath feat, which can be taken multiple times to lower your recovery time.

Mystify
2010-11-06, 12:47 PM
I missed those feats first time through. Those are very helpful.

Person_Man
2010-11-06, 01:03 PM
The best way to improve your Save DC is to debuff your enemy. Dexterity damage and penalties, Spells, Fear, Doomspeak (-10 for 1 round, Bardic music effect, Champions of Ruin), various Auras, etc.

You also want to be a Con SAD build. That pretty much limits you to the Dragonfire Adept or the Totemist. Both have pretty impressive breath weapons. The DFA's is better, though the Totemist can also be a a melee monster if you want to do both. Having something else to do besides your breath weapon is key, because high Reflex Saves and/or Evasion is quite common.