PDA

View Full Version : Good Guy; Bad Party

Mr. Zolrane
2010-11-06, 03:51 PM
Hey there, everyone, I'm new here, and registered primarily because I had this question:

What do you do when you're the only truly good member of you party?

Urpriest
2010-11-06, 03:52 PM
Alignment or skill?

Mr. Zolrane
2010-11-06, 03:54 PM
Hahaha. Alignment. This is my first experience w/ DnD so I probably suck, but everyone but the DM is new, so it's not such a big problem. The bard is good, but she barely says a word, and almost never offers more than token objection to the evil acts of the fighter, rogue, and (ostensibly) neutral cleric.

mikeejimbo
2010-11-06, 03:55 PM
Reroll an evil character and go to town.

Edit: Ninja'd

hamishspence
2010-11-06, 03:55 PM
May depend what the problem is.

If it's "my fellow party won't help anyone I think needs help" one way of doing it is hinting that they stand to gain by doing so:

Luke: "She's rich."
Han: "Rich?"
Luke: "Rich, powerful. If we rescue her, the reward would be..."
Han: "What?"
Luke: "Well, more wealth than you can imagine."
Han: "I dunno, I can imagine quite a bit."

If it's "they keep doing evil things that I object to" a similar approach can be used- hinting that life sucks when you're being chased by the authorities.

WildPyre
2010-11-06, 03:56 PM
Smite them in their sleep.

Seriously though... if they're just neutral rather than full blown evil you can convince them that doing the good thing is what benefits them most.

If the rest of the party is evil and you're good... umm... you're kinda hosed... I suppose you can try lying to them and let them think they're doing evil things when in reality what they acomplish turns out to be a good thing.

I'm not above smiting them in their sleep though... really, you should look into it. Fire works equally well and has some nice FXs is you pack their tent with explosives.

Jokes
2010-11-06, 04:10 PM
I'm currently playing a CG Bard in a party full of evil characters. It works because a) he's a little dim (and naive) and has no idea they are evil and b) his goal is to topple a (as he sees it) completely totalitarian regime, so any of their actions kinda get swept under the rug as being in pursuit of this goal.

I'm having fun with it.

WarKitty
2010-11-06, 04:14 PM
What class are you playing? And how evil are they? Like Hamishpence said, giving them reasons why it's in their best interest to do something good/not do evil can work.

Why are you working with them? Do you need these people to complete the quest? It's possible to work with them while disapproving of their acts, seeing it as necessary for a greater good.

Mr. Zolrane
2010-11-06, 04:26 PM
I'm currently playing a CG Bard in a party full of evil characters. It works because a) he's a little dim (and naive) and has no idea they are evil and b) his goal is to topple a (as he sees it) completely totalitarian regime, so any of their actions kinda get swept under the rug as being in pursuit of this goal.

I'm having fun with it.

Your situation is probably the closest to mine, Jokes. My character is a CG Barbarian, in a party where the only good character besides me is an NG Bard, who rarely offers more than a token objection to say, the rogue murdering an innocent in their sleep. And my guy's a little like yours. Very naive, friendly to a fault, even to those who clearly dislike him, and has a hard time discerning the evil in his teammates. Which recently got me killed. Without going into a self-indulgent backstory rant, the cleric and fighter's players told me, OOC, that next session they were going to summon a demon who could help me learn about my past, and why I see only a swirling red vortex when I die (I have died several times in the arena; I get rezzed for free after).

We go beneath a temple of Wee Jas and, once the door is locked before my character realizes what is happening, they summon a pit lord, the cleric casts sanctuary on everyone but me, and my characters inner... well it's a homebrew creature, kinda hard to explain, but it assumes control of my body and asks the demon "So tell me fiend... what am I?" The fighter pipes up and informs the pit lord that he's come to bring him a sacrifice: the barbarian (me). The demon (or devil, I don't know which it is, newb, yet again) kills and eats me, and destroys my inner creature. Once the rest of the party finds out, the bard again offers only token resistance but they eventually rez me. My retaliation for the team kill? I inform the party that the thing the demon destroyed... was my fourth wall... you can guess where it went from there. :smalltongue:

Tengu_temp
2010-11-06, 04:27 PM
How evil are we talking about here? If it's just selfish and petty, then I'd just swallow it. If it's proactively evil, killing innocents and such, then I'd either kill them in their sleep or leave the party and tell the authorities.

On a sidenote, ugh, neutral character played as evil, and most likely with the "I'm neutral so I can do anything I want" excuse. I'd kill this guy first.

Mr. Zolrane
2010-11-06, 04:40 PM
How evil are we talking about here? If it's just selfish and petty, then I'd just swallow it. If it's proactively evil, killing innocents and such, then I'd either kill them in their sleep or leave the party and tell the authorities.

On a sidenote, ugh, neutral character played as evil, and most likely with the "I'm neutral so I can do anything I want" excuse. I'd kill this guy first.

They fed me to a demon. And I had been NOTHING but nice to them. Aggressively so. When I made my new character I forewent better equipment so I could buy gifts for them. My intent, first and foremost was to reform the fighter. Now he's a Blackguard. Yeah.

As for the cleric, I'd love to kill him, but A) That would be rather bad RP, my character's just not like that, B) We kinda need him; he's the healer and the fall-back tank.

As for leaving and reporting them, I tried that w/ my old character (who the fighter teamkilled) but the DM expressly forbid it, or else I would lose control of my character and effectively become a monster.

WarKitty
2010-11-06, 04:47 PM
They fed me to a demon. And I had been NOTHING but nice to them. Aggressively so. When I made my new character I forewent better equipment so I could buy gifts for them. My intent, first and foremost was to reform the fighter. Now he's a Blackguard. Yeah.

As for the cleric, I'd love to kill him, but A) That would be rather bad RP, my character's just not like that, B) We kinda need him; he's the healer and the fall-back tank.

As for leaving and reporting them, I tried that w/ my old character (who the fighter teamkilled) but the DM expressly forbid it, or else I would lose control of my character and effectively become a monster.

That sounds like your problem right there. While I know why he did it...he's telling you that you can play a good character and telling them they can play evil characters, but not letting you do what a good character would do.

At that point I'd say, reroll as an evil character.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-11-06, 04:50 PM
or else I would lose control of my character and effectively become a monster.

hanging out with monsters would turn you anyway. it's probably better to sit them down and talk to them one at a time and explain what your character has done and what their character has done. then ask them if they could stop team-killing you and act nicer (or atleast neutral). if they don't change roll an Evil (capital E) character and go to town on the party. you could also leave the group and find a new one if you don't want to do that

true_shinken
2010-11-06, 04:52 PM
That sounds like your problem right there. While I know why he did it...he's telling you that you can play a good character and telling them they can play evil characters, but not letting you do what a good character would do.

At that point I'd say, your DM is a jerk. ^^
Seriously now, WarKitty is right. Either go with the flow or quit this group.

Mr. Zolrane
2010-11-06, 04:58 PM

I know, and I've been strongly considering that, I just can't bring myself to do it. In video games I always feel like a douche when I'm forced to be evil or even ruthless (case in point: Undead campaign, WarCraft II), I couldn't even bring myself to kill the rachni queen in Mass Effect, and i'm sure a tabletop RPG would be no different.

At that point I'd say, your DM is a jerk. ^^
Seriously now, WarKitty is right. Either go with the flow or quit this group.

He's my friend, but I'm not fond of him as a DM-- the "plot" of our campaign is at best an excuse to fight random monsters, he's disallows most homebrew (I wanted to play a goblin PC; yes I'm a Goblins fan) and he won't allow party splitting of anytime. I'm thinking of quitting, but I'm just looking for a way to still play and have fun.

true_shinken
2010-11-06, 05:02 PM
I know, and I've been strongly considering that, I just can't bring myself to do it. In video games I always feel like a douche when I'm forced to be evil or even ruthless (case in point: Undead campaign, WarCraft II), I couldn't even bring myself to kill the rachni queen in Mass Effect, and i'm sure a tabletop RPG would be no different.
Being evil does not mean eating babies for breakfast. Check this (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AffablyEvil).

Callista
2010-11-06, 05:20 PM
Well, your character befriending theirs goes a long way. They are much less likely to backstab your character if they like your character, or at least find him/her useful. Evil people can have friends, and can form romantic relationships; and they will protect people they find useful, interesting, or attractive. If you can create the idea that you guys are a team and will work together, then you probably won't wake up dead.

If you can manage to kind of quasi-reform them--not necessarily changing their alignment; just getting them to agree that not killing babies (etc.) is a better way to go about things--then your problem might be solved. Evil characters are selfish, and that means they'll do what benefits them. If it benefits them to do things that benefit other people, they'll do that just as they'll do things that benefit them and hurt other people. If you can get them to choose the former rather than the latter, you can make this work.

However: You need to talk to your DM about getting a backup character, and this time a neutral or evil guy who won't clash so badly with the rest of the group. You don't want to sit out half a session if it becomes impossible for your character to stay with the group--either because they did something truly inexcusable and your character had to leave, or because the party fell apart and one or more PCs ended up dead over it.

Mr. Zolrane
2010-11-06, 05:22 PM
Being evil does not mean eating babies for breakfast. Check this (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/AffablyEvil).

I've spent a tremendous amount of time on TV Tropes, and I think it's a great, fun thing, but I could never quite wrap my head around the concept of Affably Evil, outside a darkly comical character like the Joker (especially as portrayed by the great Mark Hammil) let alone how it would work in a setting where good and evil are both quantifiable and written down on paper for everyone to see. Suggestions?

WarKitty
2010-11-06, 05:25 PM
Easiest way for me is for your character to have his own ideas of good and evil.

"Sure, that moral compass you civilizations have created through your civilized deities marks me as evil. But can you tell me - really tell me - why I ought to follow your ideas?"

Callista
2010-11-06, 05:26 PM
Affably Evil means someone who is evil but generally polite, charismatic, etc.; he's willing to do evil things, but he's the kind of person who knows that if you kick too many puppies, people will hate you, and that doesn't benefit you.

Tengu_temp
2010-11-06, 05:34 PM

That's the whole point. Lose your character, kill everyone in the process, and when you reroll tell the others that you don't want to play with evil characters and would prefer good/neutral ones. And if they still insist on being evil... You don't need to play with this group.

Don't buy them gifts, don't do them favours. It just makes your character look like a suck-up and/or wuss.

JonRG
2010-11-06, 07:06 PM
If you want to stay good, you could use method Nate Ford does to control the Leverage crew until they actually start to shift towards good. Basically, convince them to do good things out the selfishness of their hearts.

(from the Pilot)

Eliot: What’s in it for me?
Nate: Payback, and if it goes right a lot of money.
Parker: What’s in it for me?
Nate: A lot of money, and if it goes right, payback.

If not, you could take wisdom from Lord Vetinari (There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides) or any number of Affably Evil or Magnificent Bastards.

Either that, or get your DM to start implementing consequences when they do heinously evil things. :smallyuk:

Callista
2010-11-06, 07:10 PM
This is the inverse of the "Evil character in a good party" problem. I think a lot of the same solutions would work here.

Rasman
2010-11-06, 09:09 PM
you pegged yourself into a very difficult position as far as I can tell

I'm in a VERY opposite position, I'm a true Neutral Druid in a party full of either Highly Chaotic or Highly Good PCs. I tend to like to watch them almost kill themselves and then, if they haven't pissed him off that session, save them at the last second. An example being our Dwarf Fighter riding his shield down a "slide" into a Black Pudding and setting off a trap with a timer that caused the room to begin crushing him. Luckily, I had already summoned 3 small earth elementals and they pulled him out at -5 hp.

Option #1. My suggestion, let them die.

You're Chaotic Good, but you don't have to be Chaotic Stupid either. There is nothing in your alignment that says you can't watch them get themselves killed.

Option #2. Teach them what actual evil is. Next time you die, your barbarian can refuse to be rezed. Then whip out your back-up character that just so happens to be a "Neutral" universalist wizard. Little do they know that you're actually NE or LE and like to dabble in the Necromantic arts. It's really hard to be rezed when you're a Skeletal Champion that the Nerco is using as a meat shield.

Option #3. Nothing says, "Evil is Bad" like a Paladin. Depending on your level, you could find and Smite them all to death in one sitting. It's fun for the whole family. Paladins are Dangerously dangerous when made properly.

So to break it down, your choices are "Watch evil destroy itself." "Out evil their evil." "Smite makes right!"

Lhurgyof
2010-11-06, 09:45 PM
you pegged yourself into a very difficult position as far as I can tell

I'm in a VERY opposite position, I'm a true Neutral Druid in a party full of either Highly Chaotic or Highly Good PCs. I tend to like to watch them almost kill themselves and then, if they haven't pissed him off that session, save them at the last second. An example being our Dwarf Fighter riding his shield down a "slide" into a Black Pudding and setting off a trap with a timer that caused the room to begin crushing him. Luckily, I had already summoned 3 small earth elementals and they pulled him out at -5 hp.

Option #1. My suggestion, let them die.

You're Chaotic Good, but you don't have to be Chaotic Stupid either. There is nothing in your alignment that says you can't watch them get themselves killed.

Option #2. Teach them what actual evil is. Next time you die, your barbarian can refuse to be rezed. Then whip out your back-up character that just so happens to be a "Neutral" universalist wizard. Little do they know that you're actually NE or LE and like to dabble in the Necromantic arts. It's really hard to be rezed when you're a Skeletal Champion that the Nerco is using as a meat shield.

Option #3. Nothing says, "Evil is Bad" like a Paladin. Depending on your level, you could find and Smite them all to death in one sitting. It's fun for the whole family. Paladins are Dangerously dangerous when made properly.

So to break it down, your choices are "Watch evil destroy itself." "Out evil their evil." "Smite makes right!"

Wow... that pretty much covers what I was going to say...

If at all possible, try to reason with them first, and either go ahead with one of those or find another group to play with.

Rasman
2010-11-07, 01:37 AM
Wow... that pretty much covers what I was going to say...

If at all possible, try to reason with them first, and either go ahead with one of those or find another group to play with.

wait...does that mean I...I ninjaed a post?!?!?!?!:nale:

Dr.Epic
2010-11-07, 01:48 AM
Reroll an evil character and go to town.

Yeah. It's gonna be difficult convincing everyone else to go good, so your best bet is to at least become neutral.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-11-07, 02:04 AM
Yeah. It's gonna be difficult convincing everyone else to go good, so your best bet is to at least become neutral.

or a neutral with Chaotic Evil tendencies. basically play an extreme PK CE character under the guise of TN or LN :smallbiggrin:

Drakevarg
2010-11-07, 02:09 AM
My old DM once told me about a time when he decided to play an evil character just to show his fellow players WHY he never played evil characters. He went so far off the deep end they demanded he never play an evil character again. :smallamused:

In your scenario, you're playing the friendly-and-naive type. Keep it, but due to excessive mistreatment, warp yourself into a Psychopathic Manchild. Never wipe that idiot grin off your face, but engage in acts so horrible and repugnant that your fellow players will be too scared to ever touch Evil again.

Coidzor
2010-11-07, 02:16 AM
Yeah, you guys were doing it wrong.

Have a coherent party theme if you're just starting out.

Crossblade
2010-11-07, 02:30 AM
They fed me to a demon. And I had been NOTHING but nice to them.
As for leaving and reporting them, I tried that w/ my old character (who the fighter teamkilled) but the DM expressly forbid it,
I think people missed this post. Basically it's saying "They can kill you, but you can't kill them."
W. T. F.
Why? Or am I misinterpreting something?

Killing it isn't evil, it's "Renegade" aka, mean. This goes back to the Affable Evil. But that's splitting hairs, and I won't go into any theories on keeping the Rachni Queen alive affecting ME3.

the "plot" of our campaign is at best an excuse to fight random monsters, he's disallows most homebrew (I wanted to play a goblin PC; yes I'm a Goblins fan)
Goblin PC is not a homebrew, it's a monster pc. Rules are for monster PCs are in the MM, and thus core. Also, you said your barbarian's race was currently a homebrew... so that's a bit contradictory? Regardless, Goblin PC is not homebrew, point that out to the DM and note that it may help you become more evil in RP'ing.

Honestly though; I'd just quit with that "they can kill you but not vice versa" garbage. I'd call them out on it too.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-07, 03:01 AM
or a neutral with Chaotic Evil tendencies. basically play an extreme PK CE character under the guise of TN or LN :smallbiggrin:

Or just be Neutral and act Neutral or be Evil and act Evil. You know, acting your alignment and not being a jerk.:smallannoyed:

2010-11-07, 07:17 AM
I inform the party that the thing the demon destroyed... was my fourth wall...

Oh god, you're playing Deadpool, aren't you?

I'm playing a Vampire: The Requiem game where I'm the only good guy. Obviously this isn't DnD; killing people in their sleep for the fun of it turns your character into a feral NPC and acting like a Paladin gets you staked on principle, you undead hypocrite. There's less room for people to play to the (often cartoonish) extremes of morality, which means there's more room for my character to try to convince the other PCs to act with more humanity.

I never have my character insist that his way is the only way; he suggests, advises, expresses personal preferences non-judgmentally, that sort of thing. If you're doing the same thing with your character, you might have a more difficult time than me keeping your persuasion in character. My character would probably lose in a straight fight with any of the other PCs, meaning that there's no chance of a pointless mexican standoff where everyone is threatening to attack each other unless the other guy backs down first. He's also supposed to be good at persuasion, so I can play him while talking persuasively. Not sure how easy my approach would be if you're playing an arse-kicking Barbarian who may or may not have a CHA penalty.

Mr. Zolrane
2010-11-07, 08:12 AM
In your scenario, you're playing the friendly-and-naive type. Keep it, but due to excessive mistreatment, warp yourself into a Psychopathic Manchild. Never wipe that idiot grin off your face, but engage in acts so horrible and repugnant that your fellow players will be too scared to ever touch Evil again.

That's awesome, I think that's my favorite idea so far. I hate the idea of having poor little Sephus do such things, but if they keep pushing him well...

Oh god, you're playing Deadpool, aren't you?

Bahahahahahahahaha! YES! No one in the room except the guy who wasn't actually playing got it! Basically, he's now the most meta character in the world. For example, he said to the bard: "My, my, Ceryu, I must say, you are very lovely indeed. Shame you're actually a man." The female bard is played by a male player you see... I did stuff like that the whole rest of the session, explaining to the rogue that the reason I died so much in the arena was because I was the "Krillin of the group."

I think people missed this post. Basically it's saying "They can kill you, but you can't kill them."
W. T. F.

Killing it isn't evil, it's "Renegade" aka, mean. This goes back to the Affable Evil. But that's splitting hairs, and I won't go into any theories on keeping the Rachni Queen alive affecting ME3.

Goblin PC is not a homebrew, it's a monster pc. Rules are for monster PCs are in the MM, and thus core. Also, you said your barbarian's race was currently a homebrew... so that's a bit contradictory? Regardless, Goblin PC is not homebrew, point that out to the DM and note that it may help you become more evil in RP'ing.

Honestly though; I'd just quit with that "they can kill you but not vice versa" garbage. I'd call them out on it too.

I wasn't "forbid" so much as "You'll won't control Aural [my old character] anymore anymore and will have to roll a new character] if I wish to continue playing, as he wouldn't deal with a split party.

Also, Dr. Epic, I love your avatar.

Aidan305
2010-11-07, 08:20 AM
W. T. F.
That was my feeling as well.

I've been through the same sort of thing, being the only good character in a band of evil backstabbers. What made it worse was that, as a Paladin, I felt somewhat responsible for their behaviour. There were times, many times, that I considered leaving the group simply because I wasn't having fun anymore. But because it was the only game around and the only opportunity I had to meet up and play with my friends I didn't. That was the only reason. I couldn't go to that game without being upset by, to cite a recent example, the changling rogue stealing and keeping the extremely evil artifact of doom given to us for safe-keeping for the sole purpose of getting a better look at it and then blaming the theft on the other rogue in the group.

I play D&D to be a hero, not to play out my sadistic kleptomaniac tendencies. It's one of the reasons why I institue a rule of "Heroes Only" in games I run now and generally forbid the evil alignment because so few people can play it properly.

My suggestion to you is this, take ranks in knowledge (Law) or (local) and start noting down each and every evil and criminal act that your fellows commit. Become a secret agent for good working to take down a group of people who are, depending on how long the campaign continues, going to get immensely powerful. Make copies of the list and drop them in with any law enforcement agencies you come near along with a warning about how dangerous the group is. Put an alarm spell on your belongings to prevent the rogue from stealing them and work to bring them down.

Of course, this probably isn't what you're looking for, but just as it's unfair to you to have to change your character to fit in with how they play, it's not fair for them to have to change to fit in with how you play.

They clearly want you to change your style to match theirs, while you want to remain good. My suggestion so to take the best of both worlds. Play their game, but show them that Good is a far better player than they'll ever be.

Jornophelanthas
2010-11-07, 01:58 PM
So the DM does not allow you to go to the authorities behind the other PCs' backs, because it's "splitting the party"?

So the DM does allow the other PCs to devise a summoning ritual in order to sacrifice your character to a demon? Isn't that "splitting the party"?

---

Consider the following things (in no particular order):

Get into the mindset of your barbarian. Is he okay with the fighter and cleric sacrificing him to a demon? Would he put up with it and still consider them friends? If not, have your character tell the others that he no longer has any reason to trust them. See what they will do to get your character to stay.
If they don't seem to care, consider killing at least one of them in their sleep (which is perfectly natural for a CG character if they believe the victim to be too dangerous to live) before retiring your character. Explain out of character that it's not personal, and mean it.

If it were me, I would give clear signals to all players, including the DM, that I'm not having fun being the loser who gets to be killed all the time. Sometimes by the other players, too.) And if nothing changes to actually get me to have fun, I would quit the game.
(Changing to a more evil character wouldn't be an option, since it doesn't fit my style. Apparently, it works the same way for you, too.)

Talk to the DM separately, telling him the game is not working for you because of the way the other players' characters are treating your character. Ask him what he can do to make things more enjoyable for you. Point out that he has been allowing them to feed your character to the demon (which was unfair to you), so ask what he can do for you.

---

P.S. Personally, I also dislike the free resurrections whenever anyone dies. It's okay the first time, but if you die every session, it gets old very fast and dying is no longer scary.

Urpriest
2010-11-07, 02:20 PM
Look, it's pretty clear that the DM wants this to be an evil campaign, otherwise he wouldn't have provided the friendly evil NPCs to make it work. So just ask him to clarify his intent, explain that your character was designed under the assumption that this was a normal campaign, and either make an evil character or leave, whichever your preference dictates.

Malbordeus
2010-11-07, 02:34 PM
i tend to get long suffering looks. even from new players who have never met me before... :smallamused:

Kallisti
2010-11-07, 02:54 PM
i tend to get long suffering looks. even from new players who have never met me before... :smallamused:

...?

Sorry, I'm not sure I know what you mean by this.

Kondziu
2010-11-07, 03:02 PM
I thought playing D&D is about having fun with friends. DM should cater to his players in order for everyone to have a good time, and if he doesn't even try to make sure this is the case, then he's doing it wrong. I would talk with the DM, and then - if nothing changes - quit, on account of me having a bad time and him being a jerk.

Mr. Zolrane
2010-11-08, 01:24 PM
Look, it's pretty clear that the DM wants this to be an evil campaign, otherwise he wouldn't have provided the friendly evil NPCs to make it work. So just ask him to clarify his intent, explain that your character was designed under the assumption that this was a normal campaign, and either make an evil character or leave, whichever your preference dictates.

That's the thing, I don't think he has any real direction for this campaign, good, evil or otherwise. Every player is a newbie, myself included, our characters created entirely independently of one another. It's mostly an Excuse Plot hack 'n' slash punctuated by token acknowledgment of characters' backstories. The PCs, for their part, are either one-note caricatures or practically silent and barely RP at all. Maybe it's because I'm a writer of fantasy and regard character and plot so highly that this offends me the way it does, but when I decided to get into this game I was under the impression I was basically controlling a character in a story with a vivid and consistent personality, those around me would do the same and that the battles we engaged in would be relevant to the plot-- oh, and that the plot would exist, like I mentioned before. This has, so far, cemented my idea that would enjoy DMing alot more that playing.

Oh, and as for the whole "kill em in their sleep" idea... trust me when I say they'd find a way around it, and if not find a way to make me pay dearly for it.

Aidan305
2010-11-08, 01:53 PM
Oh, and as for the whole "kill em in their sleep" idea... trust me when I say they'd find a way around it, and if not find a way to make me pay dearly for it.

Only if they know you're responsible. I suggest taking up note passing and cackling madly. It works just as well for players as it does for GMs.

Yukitsu
2010-11-08, 04:28 PM
I just make sure I can take em' all, both in or out of character.

The Oakenshield
2010-11-08, 07:36 PM
I would make a super-optimized Tier 1 caster and slaughter all of your "teammates" in a epic battle, then ride off into the sunset and leave the group.:smallyuk:

No kidding.

true_shinken
2010-11-08, 09:48 PM
That's the thing, I don't think he has any real direction for this campaign, good, evil or otherwise. Every player is a newbie, myself included, our characters created entirely independently of one another. It's mostly an Excuse Plot hack 'n' slash punctuated by token acknowledgment of characters' backstories. The PCs, for their part, are either one-note caricatures or practically silent and barely RP at all. Maybe it's because I'm a writer of fantasy and regard character and plot so highly that this offends me the way it does, but when I decided to get into this game I was under the impression I was basically controlling a character in a story with a vivid and consistent personality, those around me would do the same and that the battles we engaged in would be relevant to the plot-- oh, and that the plot would exist, like I mentioned before. This has, so far, cemented my idea that would enjoy DMing alot more that playing.

Dude, just quit this game already.

big teej
2010-11-08, 10:21 PM
Magnificent Bastards.

you called?

-raises hand-
I've yet to DM a group that had a cleric, they've all turned out fine.

I say stick it to him.

Safety Sword
2010-11-08, 11:04 PM
...the rogue murdering an innocent in their sleep.

Do unto others as they would do to you. I see a dead rogue in your future :)

Deadmeat.GW
2010-11-11, 08:05 PM
My old DM once told me about a time when he decided to play an evil character just to show his fellow players WHY he never played evil characters. He went so far off the deep end they demanded he never play an evil character again. :smallamused:

Oh yeah, I only did that once when we were playing Wraith from WW and after that people prefered me to be the good guy, wiping out a family lineage, just in case, and making it a nice and very graphic description (based on some actual historical events) of how I did everything got two people to leave the room and throw up :).

They never said I was a wuss afterwards when I don't play an evil character...

Callista
2010-11-11, 09:05 PM
That... is actually a possibility. Hey, if you like Good, you probably understand Evil better than most people, because that's what you're fighting, neh? And if you've been a DM before (as most players have), of course you can just play your BBEG as a character. I like to play Good-aligned characters, but the times I've played Evil, it's been... scary. I usually go true sociopath. Dropping the moral compunctions can make you very deadly; and it's not really a matter of puppy-kicking (in fact, one of my evil characters, a druid, loved animals) so much as just really not caring if you hurt someone else. Hurting others isn't your goal; it's simply a non-issue to you whether or not it happens--a trivial thing you barely even notice. Other people are just tools for you to use, and the only way you'd ever ask yourself "How does that other person feel?" is to use those feelings to your own benefit. The whole world can suffer forever, just as long as you get what you want. You'll kill an innocent child if it benefits you; but somehow more frightening, you'll also take that innocent, raise him as your own child, teach him to hate, and point him at the people you do want to kill. Wading through blood and guts? Meh. Being truly evil takes artistry.