PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade fix question

realbombchu
2010-11-06, 08:03 PM
A while back, I tried to fix the hexblade base class from Complete Warrior. I used the suggestions reposted in the hexblade handbook, and I changed the caster level to class level minus three. I also added the various familiar enhancing spells to the hexblade spell list. I might've done more; I can't remember.

Anyway, my concern is that it's not enough. I was thinking of changing the hit die to d12 and giving the hexblade 4 (+ Int mod) skill points per level. Thoughts? Am I going overboard?

true_shinken
2010-11-06, 08:05 PM
Depends. RAW Hexblade might be enough for most groups.

AslanCross
2010-11-06, 08:07 PM
The class's official writer actually proposed a fix for it here. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19547530/Contacting_Wizards_of_the_Coast_about_Hex_Blades?p ost_id=332210466#332210466)

I dunno about the d12 hit dice; I kind of like how it's extremely rare and that only the barbarian, warblade and a few PrCs have it.

Skill point increases are always great.

realbombchu
2010-11-06, 08:10 PM
Depends. RAW Hexblade might be enough for most groups.

Agreed. Maybe I should admit that I'm using the warblade (not the fighter) as my reference point.

true_shinken
2010-11-06, 08:11 PM
The class's official writer actually proposed a fix for it here. (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19547530/Contacting_Wizards_of_the_Coast_about_Hex_Blades?p ost_id=332210466#332210466)

I dunno about the d12 hit dice; I kind of like how it's extremely rare and that only the barbarian, warblade and a few PrCs have it.

Skill point increases are always great.

The Knight also has d12 hit dice.
But I believe that's about it.
d10 Hit Dice is also not very common among base classes - Fighter, Paladin, Hexblade, Swashbuckler, Crusader and that's about it, I believe.
EDIT: I guess the Soulborn has a d10 hd as well. Both Samurai too.

AslanCross
2010-11-06, 08:13 PM
The Knight also has d12 hit dice.
But I believe that's about it.
d10 Hit Dice is also not very common among base classes - Fighter, Paladin, Hexblade, Swashbuckler, Crusader and that's about it, I believe.

Ah yes, forgot about the Knight. Soulknife also gets d10 hit dice. I just feel there's nothing in the Hexblade's flavor to justify it being as tough as a barbarian, knight, or warblade. He's primarily a gish type. d10 sets it apart from the d8 gishes; that's a lot already IMO.

true_shinken
2010-11-06, 08:15 PM
Ah yes, forgot about the Knight. Soulknife also gets d10 hit dice. I just feel there's nothing in the Hexblade's flavor to justify it being as tough as a barbarian, knight, or warblade. He's primarily a gish type. d10 sets it apart from the d8 gishes; that's a lot already IMO.

I agree completely. Also, can't believe I forgot the Soulknife - the only one in he d10HD bunch with a medium BAB.
I really like Hexblade's flavor and the curse mechanic. With the author fix, they become pretty decent.

realbombchu
2010-11-06, 08:21 PM
Most (well made) gishs also have access to 8th or 9th level spells, though.

But I admit that d12 is a bit much, since most arcane classes are d4 to d6. No problem with the extra skill points though?

true_shinken
2010-11-06, 08:28 PM
Most (well made) gishs also have access to 8th or 9th level spells, though.

But I admit that d12 is a bit much, since most arcane classes are d4 to d6. No problem with the extra skill points though?

Gishes with 8th/9th level spells are just mages who spent a few levels training with swords instead of taking reserve feats.
I do believe 4+Int skills for Hexblades is OK, but then you should bump the Swashbuckler to 6+Int.