PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 What do you thing about the Jaunter Prg Class?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-06, 10:50 PM
Jaunter is a nifty and interesting prestige class found in the Expedition to the Demon web pits, it really appeals to me as it can help me fulfilling one of my favorite character concepts. A mobility-based character, specifically a teleport by-attack.

The class is only 4 level long, but give nice abilites powerful abilities.

Over the course of the class one gets
Bening Transportation, Baleful Teleport, Teleport, Plane Shift as SLA, usage per day depends on your jaunter level, dex modifier and the ability itseld (for example Teleport uses two "charges" while Bening transportation just one).
Fast movement
Freedom of movement up to 8 rounds a day
Dimension Door like abilty.....

in a 3/4 bab, two good saves, decent HD and decent skill list chassis.

All in all a nice class right??? but the deal breaker is the adaptation section that mentions that this class can become a full casting advancement class, by changing the SLA to add to the spell list (nice for sorceres and Favored souls).

I am considering using this class in a gish build in the near future, but I want to her what you thing about it first.

Amphetryon
2010-11-06, 11:03 PM
Jaunter is not underpowered.

Planeshift and Baleful Teleport, combined with [edit] a decent skill list and HPs, are wonderful additions to virtually any caster build, and 8 rounds of FOM on top? It makes a very good addition to most builds. The thing to remember is that it's not the focus of the build, simply because it's only 4 levels long.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-06, 11:05 PM
Where did I say it was underpowered?:smallconfused:

and yean I agree with you it makes for a nice filler on Gish builds... shame it can be entered sooner (stupid Spring attack pre-requisite)

Grynning
2010-11-06, 11:09 PM
I really like it, has a nice "Nightcrawler in D&D" feel to it. Works great in Gestalt to give a melee character or skill monkey some spice.

Amphetryon
2010-11-06, 11:11 PM
Jaunter is a nifty and interesting prestige class found in the Expedition to the Demon web pits, it is a bit low powered, but it really appeals to me as it can help me fulfilling one of my favorite character concepts.In the bolded, underlined part. People don't generally call something "low powered" without recognizing the implication that they want it to be "higher powered" and, in that implicit desire, acknowledging that they perceive something as "low powered."

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-06, 11:12 PM
Apparently I fail to read and remember.... sorry:redface:

Escheton
2010-11-07, 12:04 AM
Sound great on a rogue that doesnt feel like taking Telflammar or shadowdancer.
What are the prereqs?

AustontheGreat1
2010-11-07, 01:26 AM
It only has 1 good save. Reflex. I'm looking at it right now. Still useful though, I've taken the class for 2 characters.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-07, 12:50 PM
Sound great on a rogue that doesnt feel like taking Telflammar or shadowdancer.
What are the prereqs?

WotC favorite feats: dodge, mobility, spring attack. knowledge(the planes) 4 ranks.. and habing visited to planes different from your original plane

It only has 1 good save. Reflex. I'm looking at it right now. Still useful though, I've taken the class for 2 characters.

You are right, I missread the table.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-11-07, 02:05 PM
WotC favorite feats: dodge, mobility, spring attack. knowledge(the planes) 4 ranks.. and habing visited to planes different from your original planeI can imagine a dev team meeting going something like this:
Dev 1: Man, the Dodge/Mobility/Spring Attack feat chain doesn't work like we thought it would. The sword and board fighter, normally a formidable tank and damage-dealer, just doesn't keep up without being able to full attack every round, and this feat chain is the one thing preventing him from full attacking every round! How do we stem the disappointment soon to be felt by all those tanks out there?

Dev 2: We could errata dodge so that it gave a constant +1 to AC and Mobility could...

Entire Team: OVERPOWERED!

Dev 1: And we don't want to fix bad core feats! That makes us look bad. We want to pretend that any poorly balanced feat was put in there to reward player skill, even if no one believes us.

Dev 2: You're right. What was I thinking? Besides, I have a great idea. Let's console those players who accidentally made bad feat choices by allowing them to take cool new prestige classes they may or may not actually want to enter!

Dev 3: But wait, what if someone who didn't take those feats wants to enter the prestige class?

Entire Team: TOO BAD!Or, like in the case of Archmage, Jaunter might just have a feat tax to enter.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-07, 02:07 PM
That is scarily... plausible... in some sort of twisted way...:smalleek: