PDA

View Full Version : UMD Rogue. Gear?

Escheton
2010-11-06, 11:52 PM
Ok, so I'm building a lvl 10 straight rogue. Partly because I am known for having at least 4 classes per character and partly because I just want to take 10 on umd, tumble, search, disable and a few others.

Besides simply taking the shax's appropriate for lvl, what else would rule on a batman rogue?

jinx1016
2010-11-07, 12:14 AM
don't know how much money you get or what skills you plan to use but the following are things i always enjoy.

luckstone (DMG)
Ioun stone that gives +1 competence bonus (DMG)
Stylus of the masterful hand (CAD)
Eyes of the eagle (DMG)
Goggles of minute seeing (DMG)
Filchers friend (CAD)
ring of lockpicking (CAD)
cloak and/or boots of elvenkind (DMG)

just to name a few

also if you made straight rogue to get the special abilities (which are awesome) check the savvy rogue feat from comp scoundrel.

other useful feats.

combat expertise
greater combat expertise
open mind
deadly precision
weapon finesse

and finally since you intend to use UMD (best skill ever) wands are your friend ESPECIALLY these two

wand of golem strike
wand of grave strike

dgnslyr
2010-11-07, 12:31 AM
Wand of Lesser Vigor is made of win when it comes to healing. Also, if you ever have a build that ends up requiring a lot of a skill or three, I think a Masterwork Item of (skill) will give a +2 to it.

Escheton
2010-11-07, 12:42 AM
Btw, are there ways to up dc's of wands and such?
I'm considering taking the feat that makes Coup de grace a standard action. And combining that with wands of hold person and such.

Gralamin
2010-11-07, 05:35 AM
Btw, are there ways to up dc's of wands and such?
I'm considering taking the feat that makes Coup de grace a standard action. And combining that with wands of hold person and such.

Nothing very effective for Wand DC - You might be able to tweak it slightly, but it's often a better idea to use Touch attack based wands.

Thespianus
2010-11-07, 08:32 AM
A Wand of Divine Insight (SpC), 2nd level Divine spell.

Even at entry level, it gives you +8 to a skill check, which can help a lot. Max out UMD and use wands to get boosts to the other skills :)

Killer Angel
2010-11-07, 08:42 AM
Ok, so I'm building a lvl 10 straight rogue. Partly because I am known for having at least 4 classes per character and partly because I just want to take 10 on umd, tumble, search, disable and a few others.

Besides simply taking the shax's appropriate for lvl, what else would rule on a batman rogue?

You cannot take 10 on UMD, sorry.

That said, given that you're a lev. 10, probably is better to have a solid UMD check. I suggest Circlet of persuasion (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#circletofPersuasion), which BTW is very handy for a lot of other things...

Last Laugh
2010-11-07, 08:52 AM
wand of golem strike
wand of grave strike

Wand of Vine Strike is the same but for plants. It could be handy once.(scroll of vinestrike is probably a better choice)

tyckspoon
2010-11-07, 09:04 AM
You cannot take 10 on UMD, sorry.

Warlocks and Artificers specifically can, but the normal Skill Mastery feature doesn't. It's because you are not being 'prevented from taking 10 by stress and distractions'; UMD just doesn't allow taking 10 at all unless something else directly countermands that clause. Skill Mastery only applies when you would otherwise be allowed to take 10 if somebody weren't pointing a weapon at you.

Killer Angel
2010-11-07, 09:22 AM
Warlocks and Artificers specifically can, but the normal Skill Mastery feature doesn't. It's because you are not being 'prevented from taking 10 by stress and distractions'; UMD just doesn't allow taking 10 at all unless something else directly countermands that clause.

Oh, yes, my statement "you cannot take 10 on UMD", didn't take in account warlocks and artificers, merely 'cause in the OP, Escheton was discussing a straight rogue. Probably, I could have been clearer.

Anyway, here's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=9260536&postcount=45) a post (mine :smallbiggrin:) on the matter (which conferms exactly what you're saying, only with references to the FaQ).

Escheton
2010-11-09, 12:11 PM
Hey thanks, that cleared up a lot.
Guess Ill just invest the cash for a +10 umd item.
Also, great suggestions and pointers, thanks.

What other skills or skilltricks can't be mastered btw?