PDA

View Full Version : Are we alowed to talk about users hit with the banhammer?

Slayed_Prophet
2010-11-07, 12:03 AM
I am sort of new so i need to know this
please don't ban me:smalleek:

Serpentine
2010-11-07, 12:11 AM
Rules say no.
•Protesting Bannings/Glorifying or Discussing Banned Posters: We value our posters, and take care only to ban posters who commit egregious or repeated violations of our Rules. Once that action is taken, though, it is an Inappropriate topic to discuss, glorify, or memorialize banned posters or their rules violations. We have found in the past that such displays are disruptive to the community. If you have a concern regarding a banned poster, we ask that you send a PM to Roland St. Jude, the Forum Guru.Also you wouldn't get banned for that :smallconfused:

afroakuma
2010-11-07, 12:46 AM
It should be noted that there was one (semi-)exception recently, but that was for an exceptional circumstance, in which the user in question was banned for an exceedingly disruptive and repugnant series of actions that affected a number of Playground inhabitants, and which also took the time and attention of the mod staff and The Giant personally. In that instance, the mods put up a thread specifically for notification and discussion, but that is their purview, and frankly I'd like to think something of that nature won't happen again.

So, to summarize:

Almost always no.

If the mods have put up a thread saying "you can do it in here," then yes, but look at the rules of that thread.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-07, 04:45 AM
I am sort of new so i need to know this
please don't ban me:smalleek:

Asking about the rules won't get you banned. The mods request respect (and the occasional sacrifice), but certainly not fear.

Adumbration
2010-11-07, 07:46 AM
Asking about the rules won't get you banned. The mods request respect (and the occasional sacrifice), but certainly not fear.

*leaves an offering of cookies lovingly baked with nuts, raisins and various spices, as well as a generous tumbler of brandy*

Dallas-Dakota
2010-11-07, 07:57 AM
*resists the desire to take them out of respect for the mods*

But yeah, no problem that you asked. Over here, we'd rather that you ask and that everything about the rules is clear then that you shyly tumble along, unknowingly, wondering.

Obrysii
2010-11-07, 08:30 AM
The rules do state not to talk about banned members - baring very specific circumstances. I am not sure if, say, a DM is banned, if we're even allowed to mention that to the groups who were playing in his or her campaigns. Personally, I wouldn't, for fear of getting an infraction (warnings, apparently, don't exist anymore).

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-07, 08:52 AM
Not totally true, as sometimes their use of infractions and warnings is strongly inconsistent and the fact that there are numerous instances of the mods themselves breaking forum rules.

I'm afraid to report those rules violations because of retribution by the mods, honestly.

I'm afraid everything I post will somehow be interpreted as "flaming" or "trolling" and warrant an infraction. The fact the mods have no accountability and there's no recourse after you've received one also leaves me in fear.

If you are dissatisfied with the mod's ruling & their responses to PMs you can PM an admin and explain your case. From what I've seen Roland seems to be fair about this stuff. I don't personally feel threatened by the mod system we have here, if you're consistently worrying about being seen as flaming/trolling maybe you need to change the way you post.

That said, the rules do state not to talk about banned members - baring very specific circumstances. I am not sure if, say, a DM is banned, if we're even allowed to mention that to the groups who were playing in his or her campaigns. Personally, I wouldn't, for fear of getting an infraction (warnings, apparently, don't exist anymore).

When players check their threads, chances are they're going to notice the Banned tag under their username, at which point they can either disband or recruit a replacement. The rule doesn't prohibit you mentioning that they've been banned, just from discussing why they got banned, whether it was fair/justified or not, sending angry PMs to the mods.

I'm sure if the players send a polite PM they'd get at least a 1/2 decent answer (XXX was banned for repeatedly breaking the no politics rule, or they posted something dramatically illegal etc.) They may not give specific examples, but as I said in a previous thread they're not tyrants, they're volunteers on a web forum.

Roland St. Jude
2010-11-07, 09:29 AM
Sheriff of Moddingham: So, no you're not and do read the Forum Rules. Thanks!