PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Stat Master Chief

Drakevarg
2010-11-07, 01:09 AM
I got bored. So, what do y'all think would be a good statup of a fantasy version of Halo's Master Chief? Sheer laziness might just say a really high level melee or something, but there's also something to be said about the fact that being absurdly lucky is almost explicitly his superpower. :smalltongue:

nyarlathotep
2010-11-07, 01:16 AM
Given what he actually does in the series I'd say he's a 5th level fighter or ranger with a rechargeable item granting stone skin (the shields) and 1 level from master of masks or 3.0 exotic weapon master (for proficiency with all weapons).

But then I'm from the no fun crowd that points out Gandalf could have been a 6th level bard.

Zeta Kai
2010-11-07, 01:19 AM
I'm from that camp, as well, & I'd say that MC is a mid-level Factotum that focuses on melee & FoI-pumped rolls.

Drakevarg
2010-11-07, 01:19 AM
Given what he actually does in the series I'd say he's a 5th level fighter or ranger with a rechargeable item granting stone skin (the shields) and 1 level from master of masks or 3.0 exotic weapon master (for proficiency with all weapons).

But then I'm from the no fun crowd that points out Gandalf could have been a 6th level bard.

Well there's also the fact that he can fall from orbit and walk away from it. And can punch a tank to death.

I was kinda thinking he'd have a few levels of Monk (tanking punching, orbit falling), maybe some Purple Dragon Knight (inspires courage just by turning up), and maybe some Knight of the Chalice if you arbitrarily equivilated the Covenant with Fiends.

Somehow work Fatespinner in to show his absurd luck.

Terazul
2010-11-07, 01:21 AM
Well there's also the fact that he can fall from orbit and walk away from it. And can punch a tank to death.

I was kinda thinking he'd have a few levels of Monk (tanking punching, orbit falling), maybe some Purple Dragon Knight (inspires courage just by turning up), and maybe some Knight of the Chalice if you arbitrarily equivilated the Covenant with Fiends.

Yes, but how much of that is actually him, and not the MJOLNIR armor he's wearing?

Drakevarg
2010-11-07, 01:22 AM
Yes, but how much of that is actually him, and not the MJOLNIR armor he's wearing?

That would leave just a high-level meleer with some sort of inspire courage ability and an absurd ammount of luck, I suppose.

Perhaps he's just a DMPC and fudges all his rolls. :smalltongue:

Gavinfoxx
2010-11-07, 01:50 AM
There's also the fact that he can do things with weapons that normal humans can't -- like TWF dual SMG's and have both of them fire relatively accurately at the same time.

That's seriously beyond human capability...

What could we do to enable some physical feats like that, and the cyborg strength thing?

I'm thinking give him a template of some sort?

Marnath
2010-11-07, 01:57 AM
That would leave just a high-level meleer with some sort of inspire courage ability and an absurd ammount of luck, I suppose.

Perhaps he's just a DMPC and fudges all his rolls. :smalltongue:

You're missing the main point by calling him a melee. Sure he's strong, but he spent his whole life getting really good at being a sneaky sharpshooter.

Drakevarg
2010-11-07, 01:59 AM
You're missing the main point by calling him a melee. Sure he's strong, but he spent his whole life getting really good at being a sneaky sharpshooter.

Well, by melee I meant "non-caster" basically. He does both face-punching and head-shotting with great aplomb. :smalltongue:

As for TWF dual SMGs... give him Monkey Grip or something. Dual-wield heavy crossbows.

On templates... some sort of half-Warforged?

golentan
2010-11-07, 02:00 AM
I favor templated mid level ranger with custom magic items well beyond his typical WBL myself.

Ranger 7 maybe? That would put him in the ballpark of some of the punishment that could be dished out using d20 modern equivalents of the weapons in the series.

Fizban
2010-11-07, 02:17 AM
And can punch a tank to death.

I just had a vision of Master Chief punching a Tank from L4D. Awesome.

Anyway, I don't know what the best ranged builds are, but basically that. MC is basically defined as the most powergamed one man army you can make, with a spiffy "spartan" template for some stat boosts and some sweet equipment. He would be best with ranged weapons since those are the main weapon in his universe, but he'd probably have at least Improved Unarmed Strike from basic martial arts training (which should be part of martial weapon proficiency really). He has skills, as far as skills are needed to kill things, and get to places where he can kill things. Whatever skills are neccesary for infiltration and demolition, as well as movement skills and balance and tumble. Some low key psionics like the Hustle power might not be a bad idea.

The suit is obviously a custom item. I'll start with +1 Halfweight Mithral Mechanus Gear, add +4 strength and +4 dex, give it a custom Powerful Build enhancement, then make it intelligent. Even without Cortana riding along the suit still has some computer mojo just to keep itself running, so an intelligent item should be justified. It probably has ranks in heal to stabilize the user, as well as it's own spot and listen and blindsense for the radar. The most important feature is that it casts either False Life or the Vigor power at-will every round, ensuring a constantly refreshing supply of temporary hit points. The reason it doesn't work when you're being shot is because it only has enough concentration skill to deal with the check for riding a horse at a full run, but not while taking damage. Once you've got those, add whatever other features you want, particularly environmental survival and whatever other immunities and abilities you think it grants.

BobVosh
2010-11-07, 05:08 AM

Pretty much this.

Also I agree with either Dork Tower or Knights of the Dinner Table (can't remember which) that nothing really shows how Gandalf is powerful. He does flaming acorns, summoning and speaking with moths, and magical fire works as his main magical tricks. Beyond that in order to show how tough he is, he fights a Balrog. Why is a Balrog tough? Because Gandalf fought him.

Yora
2010-11-07, 05:33 AM
He's not even a wizard, he's an archon or an angel with permanent shapechange.

Stryke
2010-11-07, 11:56 AM

Can i get a link for that please.

Personally i think that the majority of the master cheifs "abilities" come from his suit, so some feats for weapons proficency and your basically done all you have to do is stick him in the suit.
enchant the suit and add a few wands and your done

Urpriest
2010-11-07, 12:45 PM
For being a cyborg, Mineral Warrior seems the default template if you're not going the whole Renegade Mastermaker/Maug Grafts route,