PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] How to get into Swiftblade as a Duskblade?

Necromas
2010-11-07, 01:31 AM
Haven't played in a long time so I've forgotten all the tricks.

The hard part of course is being able to cast haste, not just once to qualify for the class but multiple times per day since that is required to make the class useful (don't want to have to rely on an item that can cast haste unless I really have to).

Does not have to be very optimized.

P.S. And while we're at it, how to get into it as a warmage without having to take 11 warmage levels to get a 3rd level spell under eclectic learning.

AslanCross
2010-11-07, 01:34 AM
Suel Arcanamach has its own spell progression and can get Haste at 4th level. Duskblade easily qualifies for it due to free Combat Casting and Spellcraft as a class skill. The only problem is that you end up getting Haste awfully late.

Fizban
2010-11-07, 02:46 AM
Two levels of Wyrm Wizard from Dragon Magic will get you any one spell from any list. Dusk 8/WW 2 is the most compact way to do it, and has just enough room to take all 10 levels of Swiftblade before 20th if you want to look ahead that far. It's easy enough to qualify for, just skills, a metamagic feat, and Arcane Preparation since you're a spontaneous caster.

For comparison, Dusk 6/Archanamach 4 qualifies at the same time and will have a similar 1 feat tax, so it's a matter of preference. Wyrm wizard will give you more Duskblade casting, but Archanamach also gets 5th level spells. Since you're specifically using Duskblade, I expect you want the offensive list more, so I'd suggest the Wyrm Wizard.

Darrin
2010-11-07, 08:16 AM
Dragonsblood Pool (Complete Mage) could also work. Gives you a 3rd level spell slot for a year that you could fill with haste. You'll need to be able to cast a 2nd level spell spontaneously, so Alacritous Cogitation should work.

Last Laugh
2010-11-07, 09:06 AM
Extra spell feat will work once you can cast 8th levels.
In the same vein as wyrm wizard the Recaster is a nice option to add spells. you must be a changeling tho.

Necromas
2010-11-07, 11:36 AM
Extra spell feat will work once you can cast 8th levels.
In the same vein as wyrm wizard the Recaster is a nice option to add spells. you must be a changeling tho.

Most people rule that Extra Spell only lets you learn spells already on your spell list (which makes it useless for everyone but a sorcerer).

Thurbane
2010-11-07, 08:25 PM
Most people rule that Extra Spell only lets you learn spells already on your spell list (which makes it useless for everyone but a sorcerer).
Yep, that's what the "official" FAQ says too. Other classes can benefit from it too: Bard, Favored Soul and even Duskblade. But check with the DM - many rule that you can grab a spell from any list.

I was going to suggest a bloodline feat from DMC, but none of them grant Haste.

true_shinken
2010-11-07, 08:26 PM
Arcane Disciple (Time) could work.

Thurbane
2010-11-07, 08:37 PM
Arcane Disciple (Time) could work.
That would qualify for the PrC, but isn't only 1/day?

I suppose you could use other (higher) domain slots for (metamagicked) more Hastes...

true_shinken
2010-11-07, 09:38 PM
That would qualify for the PrC, but isn't only 1/day?

I suppose you could use other (higher) domain slots for (metamagicked) more Hastes...

I believe Versatile Spellcaster could work as well.

Fizban
2010-11-07, 11:38 PM
Hmm. Now that I think about it, the class requires "the ability to cast Haste." This means you could use a Runestaff, Drake Helm, or Knowstone to qualify, but you'd still need to have the spell on a class list so I suppose it's moot. It might work in combination with Arcane Disciple though, I could never figure out exactly how that was supposed to work (besided poorly).

I thought Arcane Disciple let you learn the spells as normal, but the Domain Sorcerer Variant limited you to 1/day. Arcane Disciple added them to your class list but didn't actually count as a granted domain, so you didn't have to use it like domain spells?

Thurbane
2010-11-07, 11:47 PM
I thought Arcane Disciple let you learn the spells as normal, but the Domain Sorcerer Variant limited you to 1/day. Arcane Disciple added them to your class list but didn't actually count as a granted domain, so you didn't have to use it like domain spells?
Unfortunately, the text in Arcane Disciple says:

Each day, you may prepare (or cast, if you cast spells without preparation) a maximum of one of these domains spells of each level.

Fishy
2010-11-08, 02:38 AM
My favorite is Beguiler 1/Duskblade 3/Spellthief 1/Trapsmith 1/Swiftblade, with the Versatile Spellcaster and Master Spellthief feats.

Trapsmiths get Haste as a 1st level spell, Versatile Spellcaster lets you cast it using another classes' spell slots, and Master Spellthief brings it up to a respectable character level.

EDIT: Actually, Warmage 4/Spellthief 1/Trapsmith 1/Swiftblade could work almost as well, though Spring Attack isn't as good for you.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-11-08, 02:38 AM
The solution is clearly to get Arcane Disciple: Time, Versatile Spellcaster, and any +1 metamagic. You can only cast one domain spell of each level each day, so there's nothing to stop you from casting it once as a 3rd level spell and once as a 4th. A Duskblade 9 gets two 3rd level spell slots, and you're sure to have Int 16+ for a bonus slot, and it's doubtful you'd have Int 24 for two bonus slots, so three 3rd level spell slots you have to spend on Haste. Cast it once normally, and once Extended/Heightened/etc. via Versatile Spellcaster with your remaining two 3rd level spell slots. A Human character, or a nonhuman with Mobility armor, should have enough feats by 9th level to qualify. I'd take flaws to get Power Attack and Arcane Strike as well.

Fizban
2010-11-08, 05:36 AM
Unfortunately, the text in Arcane Disciple says:

Alas, it was right there. I thought it was buried somewhere else in the book :smallredface:

faceroll
2010-11-08, 05:54 AM
The solution is clearly to get Arcane Disciple: Time, Versatile Spellcaster, and any +1 metamagic. You can only cast one domain spell of each level each day, so there's nothing to stop you from casting it once as a 3rd level spell and once as a 4th. A Duskblade 9 gets two 3rd level spell slots, and you're sure to have Int 16+ for a bonus slot, and it's doubtful you'd have Int 24 for two bonus slots, so three 3rd level spell slots you have to spend on Haste. Cast it once normally, and once Extended/Heightened/etc. via Versatile Spellcaster with your remaining two 3rd level spell slots. A Human character, or a nonhuman with Mobility armor, should have enough feats by 9th level to qualify. I'd take flaws to get Power Attack and Arcane Strike as well.

You can pick up PA with a flaw, but not Arcane Strike, as it has a BAB requirement greater than +1. Unless your DM is letting you pick up flaws after character creation.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-11-08, 01:47 PM
You can pick up PA with a flaw, but not Arcane Strike, as it has a BAB requirement greater than +1. Unless your DM is letting you pick up flaws after character creation.

You can always use flaws to take other feats earlier, so you have your 9th level feat free to get Arcane Strike.