PDA

View Full Version : Optimizing the ladder

fulong
2010-11-07, 03:19 AM
So I'm playing a monk with a homebrew feat that is like an Improvised Weapon Proficiency (Ladders), and I want to see what I can do to maximized the potential of a 10 foot metal ladder. :smallsmile:

ffone
2010-11-07, 03:22 AM
So I'm playing a monk with a homebrew feat that is like an Improvised Weapon Proficiency (Ladders), and I want to see what I can do to maximized the potential of a 10 foot metal ladder. :smallsmile:

Normal: reach weapon.

Team synergy: halfling rogue is on the ladder; monk swings it for a hit, halfling 5' steps over enemy at the moment of impact for a flank sneak attack/

Cartoon physics: see if your DM will let the monk balance the latter vertically, climb it, then use it as a weapon before falling, gaining in effect 25' overhead reach from the ground.

As immovable rod: cartoon physics as above; monk repeatedly climbs ladder and sticks it above himself again to climb into the air.

Jackie Chan physics: trap enemy's head between rungs of ladder, then slide one half against the other half to crush the enemy's neck or head (if it's a 'modern' style ladder with the two parts that slide past each other).

Crossblade
2010-11-07, 03:27 AM
Hrm... well, it'd basically be a quarter staff with reach. But you could also use the spaces between the steps possibly to help with reach grapples. If there's even a row of baddies, maybe you could do multiple grapples under cartoon logic.

Edit: Bah, ninja'ed by an edit.

Eloel
2010-11-07, 03:31 AM
You can use a rope ladder as a net, I'd guess. And chances are, you can use a wooden ladder as a trident. Yay ladders!

DragonOfUndeath
2010-11-07, 03:57 AM
I want to see what I can do to maximized the potential of a 10 foot metal ladder. :smallsmile:

Bah, real adventurers use 11-foot poles

gorfnab
2010-11-07, 04:45 AM
The Drunken Master prestige class might have some options for you. Otherwise with one level of Warblade and four levels of Bloodstorm Blade you could throw the ladder and have it return to you for more attacks.

Well, lets just combine both.

Human
Cobra Strike Monk 2/ Warblade 3/ Drunken Master 2/ Bloodstorm Blade 4/ Drunken Master 8/ Bloodstorm Blade 1
Feats
1. Great Fortitude, Point Blank Shot, B: Dodge
2. B: Mobility
3. Improvised Weapon Proficiency: Ladder
6. Superior Unarmed Strike
9. Improved Natural Attack
12. ?
15. ?
18. ?

16 BAB, and a Returning Ladder with some decent damage.

Silverbrow Human
Cobra Strike Monk 2/ Bard 2/ Warblade 1/ Drunken Master 4/ Bloodstorm Blade 4/ Warblade 6/ Bloodstorm Blade 1
Feats
1. Great Fortitude, Point Blank Shot, B: Dodge, Sacred Vow, Vow of Poverty, B:Nymph's Kiss, 2x flaws
2. B: Mobility, B: Touch of Golden Ice
3. Dragonfire Inspiration
4. B: Servant of the Heavens
6. Improvised Weapon Proficiency: Ladder, B: Nimbus of Light
8. B: Words of Creation
9. Superior Unarmed Strike
10. B: Bonus Exalted Feat
12. Song of the Heart, B: Bonus Exalted Feat
14. B: Bonus Exalted Feat
15. Song of the White Raven
16. B: Bonus Exalted Feat
17. B: Combat Reflexes
18. Extra Music, B: Bonus Exalted Feat
20. B: Bonus Exalted Feat

BAB of 17 is nice. Obviously you'll probably just be using a normal wooden ladder because of VoP unless your DM is okay with you using a metal one. However the idea of a +5 Holy Flaming Returning Ladder is just awesome.

Edit: VoP could also work with the first build if flaws are available.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-11-07, 04:59 AM
How does sending everyone flying sound? (Large-counting-race) Monk 2/Dungeoncrasher Fighter 6/Full BaB X with Improved Bull Rush, Power Attack, Knockback and Shock Trooper is just silly good. Crush your opposition under the heel of your... ladder. Then climb it to victory.

Radar
2010-11-07, 05:12 AM
Hmm... a monk fighting with a ladder. Should he be versed in the arts of Sloshi (http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Sloshi)? That would be wicked awesome. :smallbiggrin:

Bah, real adventurers use 11-foot poles
I prefere 21 ft collapsible poles. :smalltongue:

dsmiles
2010-11-07, 05:29 AM

Has anyone told you "You're awesome" lately? This is the most awesome thing I ever heard.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-11-07, 10:56 AM
Ok, you gotta see this video right here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt9yx55MamU).

Skorj
2010-11-07, 11:23 AM
If you're looking for a reasonable D&D rules fit, instead of cartoon logic, it's a spiked chain that does bludgeoning damage:

Reach 10'
Can also be used against an adjacent foe.
Can make trip attacks.
Bonus to disarm attacks.
Can use weapon finesse.

Sounds right to me.

Eldan
2010-11-07, 11:41 AM
Ok, you gotta see this video right here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt9yx55MamU).

Mirror's Edge 2: Why just use Parkour

Greenish
2010-11-07, 11:42 AM
If you're looking for a reasonable D&D rules fit, instead of cartoon logic, it's a spiked chain that does bludgeoning damage:

Reach 10'
Can also be used against an adjacent foe.
Can make trip attacks.
Bonus to disarm attacks.
Can use weapon finesse.

Sounds right to me.Could swap Finesse with grappling, as with the sharktooth staff or the mancatcher.

Last Laugh
2010-11-07, 11:52 AM
Replace end rungs with immovable rods keyed to different command words (or do they have buttons?)
use awesome monk training to swing yourself upwards. freeze highest rod, release lowest rod, swing yourself upwards....

The Big Dice
2010-11-07, 12:29 PM
Watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrRFzwPE0d4). Then wonder how to replicate this in a game like D&D.

Crossblade
2010-11-07, 01:11 PM
Watch this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrRFzwPE0d4). Then wonder how to replicate this in a game like D&D.

With a lot of good combat description.

Psyren
2010-11-07, 02:39 PM
Then get a magic item that casts Force Ladder so you can kibosh ghosts too.

gorfnab
2010-11-07, 03:41 PM
Then get a magic item that casts Force Ladder so you can kibosh ghosts too.
Or just use a Serren Wood (BoED) Ladder.

DragonOfUndeath
2010-11-07, 05:59 PM
Or just use a Serren Wood (BoED) Ladder.

but then you can't have a +5 Holy Flaming metal ladder. unless you have 2?

Morph Bark
2010-11-07, 06:13 PM
but then you can't have a +5 Holy Flaming metal ladder. unless you have 2?

Dual-wielding ladders: great ladder flavour, zero sugar. It's possible.

fulong
2010-11-07, 07:40 PM
Dual-wielding ladders: great ladder flavour, zero sugar. It's possible.

With Monkey Grip?