PDA

View Full Version : How hard is it to get pancakes right?

Katana_Geldar
2010-11-07, 04:23 AM
I think it takes a certain kind of bad cook to make bad pancakes. They were the first things I learned how to make as a child, and I can still make them pretty well WITHOUT a recipe.

But the bad ones I had today made me think. So very, very salty that I sent them back to the kitchen.

Dr.Epic
2010-11-07, 04:31 AM
I used to know someone who couldn't even make waffles.

Vaynor
2010-11-07, 04:34 AM
I assure you it is quite easy to mess up pancakes if you're as bad at cooking as I am. Although, that's mostly in the actual cooking process, the mixing is quite simple if you follow the recipe.

Renegade Paladin
2010-11-07, 04:40 AM
It's not difficult at all. Pancakes are bloody simple, even without a commercial pancake mix; with one it's literally child's play.

Krade
2010-11-07, 04:43 AM
It's not difficult at all. Pancakes are bloody simple, even without a commercial pancake mix; with one it's literally child's play.
http://www.popgadget.net/images/batter-blaster.jpg
/thread

yes it's real

Katana_Geldar
2010-11-07, 04:48 AM
Some of us actually prefer to enjoy real pancakes. Not some strange American concoction that somewhat resembles them.

Moonshadow
2010-11-07, 04:51 AM
http://trollcats.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/son_i_am_disappoint_trollcat.jpg

Anyways. Pancakes are easy. Making a good crepe, now, that requires a crapton of practice to get right. They're so hard for me to do right X_X

And I don't even like pancakes!

Krade
2010-11-07, 05:12 AM
Some of us actually prefer to enjoy real pancakes. Not some strange American concoction that somewhat resembles them.

The store I work at sells it. I've never had it but I hear it's actually quite tasty. It's also organic, if your into that.

Lady Moreta
2010-11-07, 05:13 AM
I think pancakes are one of those fussy things to make that in general, they're really easy to make. But they're quite sensitive, so if you get the balance just a little bit wrong, they'll get screwed up. Of course, it also depends on your definition of screwed up :smalltongue:

For instance, these could easily be considered 'screwed up', but I assure you they tasted delicious :smallbiggrin:

http://img.pederick.id.au/gallery/d/105-1/DSC00744.JPG

Katana_Geldar
2010-11-07, 05:24 AM
The store I work at sells it. I've never had it but I hear it's actually quite tasty. It's also organic, if your into that.

It. Is. From. A. Can.

How organic is that?

Serpentine
2010-11-07, 06:02 AM
I'm with Katana on 1. how do you get pancakes so wrong? :smallconfused: and 2. pancakes - among other things - are not "real" if they come from a can.

Teddy
2010-11-07, 06:03 AM
For instance, these could easily be considered 'screwed up', but I assure you they tasted delicious :smallbiggrin:

They are red. I mean, RED! Pancakes shouldn't be red!
Unless, of course, it's tasty red. :smallwink:

And no, I have no idea on how you could screw up pancakes. They're supposed to be the ultimate non-screwable food, aren't they? :smalleek:

Lady Moreta
2010-11-07, 06:53 AM

Food colouring! It was a joke for a flatmate's birthday. His birthday is on St. Patrick's Day, so the first year we flatted, we coloured everything green (and I mean everything). The year after we decided we'd done green, so we needed a different colour - hence the red. I can't find the pictures of the green stuff though :smallfrown:

thubby
2010-11-07, 07:55 AM
It. Is. From. A. Can.

How organic is that?

*thinks about pancake mix* is there any reason you couldn't put that in a can?

Eldan
2010-11-07, 07:57 AM
Food colouring? Bah.
Green pancakes are made with spinach and herbs. Which would be done anyway, because they are delicious that way.

Red... hmm. Never tried that. Berries, perhaps.

Skeppio
2010-11-07, 07:57 AM
I think the issue is that it's a spray can, like shaving foam. Seems kinda unnatural for pancakes to come from a spray can. :smallyuk:

Lolzords
2010-11-07, 08:05 AM
My pancakes are amazingly perfect, but I always burn a couple of them due to rummaging around in the fridge/cupboard while I'm making them.

Mr. Zolrane
2010-11-07, 08:28 AM
I am a colossally bad cook, but I've finally learned how to not burn my pancakes: just wait until they form solid... bubbles... of a sort, then flip.

Yeah... I suck, I better never live alone after college. If I'm not married right away I gotta have a roommate. That I can cook.

Serpentine
2010-11-07, 08:40 AM
That's the way you're meant to do it - when the bubbles that form don't fill in when they pop, it's ready to flip (assuming you've got the temperature right - too hot and it's burnt before it's ready to flip).
But I like mine raw in the middle, so I use different rules P:

Mauve Shirt
2010-11-07, 08:47 AM
I just ate rice pancakes! They were made by my roommate though.
I was horrible at making pancakes. I'd make them too big for the pan and not be able to flip them, or try to flip them too early resulting in the pancake folding on itself, or flip them too late resulting in burnt pancakes, or make them too thick so I under-cook them, etc.
I got better with practice. It's a skill one needs to be Vice President of the Institute for Pancake Science.

Jack Squat
2010-11-07, 09:17 AM
adding chocolate chips gives one a wider margin of error in getting pancakes right.

Plus it's not like I get enough sugar from the syrup :smalltongue:

Kislath
2010-11-07, 10:32 AM
Mmmmm....
I haven't had pancakes in years.
Can they be made without using milk? ( made well, that is )

valadil
2010-11-07, 11:11 AM

Splain. I wasn't aware there was another variety and now I'm curious.

I had a roommate who screwed up every pancake she ever attempted. She insisted on pressing them with a spatula (the same way an idiot with a grill presses the burger for better grill marks, but really just squeezes out all the juices). Then she complained that they were dense and nasty instead of light and fluffy, like mine were.

Emperor Ing
2010-11-07, 11:21 AM

'tis a good day when "American" becomes a derogitory adjective. :smallsigh:

Personally I prefer waffles, but with pancakes, the only way I skrew it up is timing the flip. Plus, for some unexplained reason the people I would make pancakes for like 'em burnt to a crisp.

Elder Tsofu
2010-11-07, 11:32 AM
What type of pancake are we talking about?
In Sweden we have thick pancakes and ordinary pancakes.
Ordinary pancake
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/29/Heap_of_pancakes_in_Sweden.JPG
When I read about "getting them fluffy" I feel that I'm probably thinking of something else.

Mmmmm....
I haven't had pancakes in years.
Can they be made without using milk? ( made well, that is )

I usually add a few extra eggs (double more or less) when I'm out of milk.
(they also get a more... "rehydrating" feel - which I've come to like during summer)

RabbitHoleLost
2010-11-07, 11:38 AM
I make amazing cookies, perfect buttery toffee, and the most moist cake you'll ever eat.
I have never, ever successfully made a pancake.

Re-pancake in a spraycan: I've had them, and they're likely the best pancakes I've ever had. Its just pre-made organic batter in a dispenser, refrigerated and everything. Don't see why its so hard to accept.

Tirian
2010-11-07, 11:45 AM
Splain. I wasn't aware there was another variety and now I'm curious.

North American pancakes tend to have baking powder in them, so that they rise as they're cooking. European pancakes, in general, are just flour, milk, and eggs, although some cultures also add in a rising agent.

Of course, both recipes are used all over the world to different extents. It's just that Americans and Canadians would tend to call non-rising pancakes crepes.

Elder Tsofu
2010-11-07, 11:53 AM
Re: spray-cakes
It's probably because it might be considered a bit lazy?
Some people take pride in and like to build their own verandas, bake their own bread or fix their car by themselves.

Note: What we spend our time upon and enjoy is wholly personal, I'd hire a mechanic for my car but I bake my bread as often as I can - other people do otherwise.

Edit: Just curious - what do North Americans call the non NA crepes then?

Tirian
2010-11-07, 12:17 PM
Re: spray-cakes
It's probably because it might be considered a bit lazy?
Some people take pride in and like to build their own verandas, bake their own bread or fix their car by themselves.

Note: What we spend our time upon and enjoy is wholly personal, I'd hire a mechanic for my car but I bake my bread as often as I can - other people do otherwise.

Edit: Just curious - what do North Americans call the non NA crepes then?

I don't know about spray-on pancakes, but my first instinct is that they'd be horrifically overpriced. Even Bisquick is twice as expensive as mixing the five very ordinary dry ingredients yourself, and I can only imagine that there would be a whole new level of premium involved in not even having to stir or pour anything. I get that convenience is sometimes worth the extra price, but by the time you're making pancakes for an entire family I don't mind a little measuring time.

If you're looking for a survey on the crepe thing, I'd say that they're "X crepes" for virtually any fried unleavened batter product (where X could either be like "German" or like "buckwheat"). But I suppose we call them "chinese pancakes" even though they're crepe-like.

Danne
2010-11-07, 01:04 PM
That's the way you're meant to do it - when the bubbles that form don't fill in when they pop, it's ready to flip (assuming you've got the temperature right - too hot and it's burnt before it's ready to flip).
But I like mine raw in the middle, so I use different rules P:

Pancakes that are raw in the middle are delicious. :) Even better when they're cinnamon-apple. Though for blueberry pancakes, I prefer mine cooked through.

And yes, pancakes are freaking easy. I learned how in middle school, and I was a terrible cook in middle school. To be fair, I can never get them to come out looking nice, but messy is tasty!

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-07, 01:16 PM
...I...do not think I can make pancakes. I'm a terrible cook.

...I think I have anti-heat issues. If I cook alone, something always goes wrong with whatever is hot, and I burn myself/get hurt/something is on fire. If people watch me (don't even need to help, just watch me), I can do decently.

Eldan
2010-11-07, 01:22 PM
I think I actually prefer my pancakes non-sweet. Cheese pancakes, or with bolognese, or a little bacon, or spinach, or... hmmm.... need to make pancakes.

Gullara
2010-11-07, 01:32 PM
What type of pancake are we talking about?
In Sweden we have thick pancakes and ordinary pancakes.
Ordinary pancake
*snip*
When I read about "getting them fluffy" I feel that I'm probably thinking of something else.

Those are the most delicious looking pancakes I've ever seen.

Don't tell my mom:smalltongue:

I can't say I've ever found pancakes hard to make. I need a recipe though, but that's just because I have a bad memory.

Elder Tsofu
2010-11-07, 01:42 PM
If you're looking for a survey on the crepe thing, I'd say that they're "X crepes" for virtually any fried unleavened batter product (where X could either be like "German" or like "buckwheat"). But I suppose we call them "chinese pancakes" even though they're crepe-like.

Hmm, makes sense. Thanks for answering. :smallsmile:
Its interesting how food differ around the world, in name and shape.

THAC0
2010-11-07, 01:48 PM
In my world, the thin ones are crepes and the thick ones are pancakes.

Also, I used to be unable to make them because I had heat obsessions. EVERYTHING COOKED ON HIGH does not work for pancakes.

cycoris
2010-11-07, 02:02 PM
You guys inspired me to make delicious pancakes today! Thank you! I topped them with decadent amounts of butter and brown sugar. :smallbiggrin:

I find pancakes to be really easy to make, I just have to get off my butt and do it. A little motivation in the form of pictures always helps. :smalltongue:

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-07, 02:04 PM
You guys inspired me to make delicious pancakes today! Thank you! I topped them with decadent amounts of butter and brown sugar. :smallbiggrin:

I find pancakes to be really easy to make, I just have to get off my butt and do it. A little motivation in the form of pictures always helps. :smalltongue:

That sounds delicious. I must now either learn to cook, or get you to cook for me. :smallamused:

I pay in snuggles! :smallwink:

Viera Champion
2010-11-07, 02:09 PM
I think it takes a certain kind of bad cook to make bad pancakes. They were the first things I learned how to make as a child, and I can still make them pretty well WITHOUT a recipe.

But the bad ones I had today made me think. So very, very salty that I sent them back to the kitchen.

Wait a minute, who the hell puts salt in pancakes?!

cycoris
2010-11-07, 02:13 PM
That sounds delicious. I must now either learn to cook, or get you to cook for me. :smallamused:

I pay in snuggles! :smallwink:

Okay, there are still four pancakes left if you wanna come here and get them.

Most recipes for pancakes have a bit of salt in them, it helps them rise. Almost anything with baking powder will have at least some salt in it.

Tirian
2010-11-07, 02:13 PM
I think I actually prefer my pancakes non-sweet. Cheese pancakes, or with bolognese, or a little bacon, or spinach, or... hmmm.... need to make pancakes.

If it were up to me, there would be a crêperie on every street corner in the world. A whole wheat crepe with ham and Swiss and actual mayonnaise. Sigh.

Katana_Geldar
2010-11-07, 02:36 PM
Most recipes for pancakes have a bit of salt in them, it helps them rise. Almost anything with baking powder will have at least some salt in it.

My pancakes have a pinch of salt in them along with the same amount of baking soda. The ones I had tasted as if the salt and sugar had been confused.

It's also not that hard to make pikelets with the same ingredients: the mixture has more flour and an extra egg.

But pancakes are so easy to make and the ingredients you usually have in your pantry that I find the cans laziness. I've taught kids how to measure by making them and they all took a turn with the ingredients, even the eggs. I think I was about 8 when I learned.

Eldan
2010-11-07, 02:52 PM
actual mayonnaise.

Ah, mayonnaise, now. That's a pain. I've never been able to make my own.

Tirian
2010-11-07, 04:15 PM
Ah, mayonnaise, now. That's a pain. I've never been able to make my own.

I don't try so much myself. If anything, my refrigerator usually has a surplus of egg whites instead of yolks as it stands. A food processor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOymdsYMoqQ) apparently takes a lot of the stress and uncertainty out of the process, but I don't really have the first-hand experience with it.

But my oh my, actual mayonnaise is SO GOOD OM NOM NOM NOM.

Say, where the heck DID the cooking thread go? :smallredface:

Irbis
2010-11-07, 04:41 PM
Yup, pancakes are easy, I'm not that good cook, I took the recipe from the internet, and they were good at the first try :P

Though, I don't get what is wrong with somewhat salty pancakes. But, I like pancakes with mayonnaise, so I'm not exactly typical customer :smallyuk:

But I agree, these amercan mixtures are crimes in being trying to pass as normal food :P

Speaking of mayonnaise, my father makes our own all the time, though I prefer to eat one from our local producer, ours has way too much needless stuff in it.

By the way, what was that about surplus of egg whites? You're not saying that they sell them separately somowhere?

Tirian
2010-11-07, 04:55 PM
By the way, what was that about surplus of egg whites? You're not saying that they sell them separately somowhere?

No, it's just me. I cook lots of cream pies which have a custardy sort of base that requires separated egg yolks. In theory, I could use the leftover egg whites for meringue toppings, but that requires a saving throw for every damn pie and one failed pie and one successful pie isn't as tasty as two pies without the damned meringue.

It's actually turned out to be quite a hassle to find ways to cook the egg whites and more often than not I find myself throwing them out. As coincidence would have it, the most common use turns out to be pancake batter.

Teddy
2010-11-07, 05:12 PM
I don't try so much myself. If anything, my refrigerator usually has a surplus of egg whites instead of yolks as it stands. A food processor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOymdsYMoqQ) apparently takes a lot of the stress and uncertainty out of the process, but I don't really have the first-hand experience with it.

But my oh my, actual mayonnaise is SO GOOD OM NOM NOM NOM.

Say, where the heck DID the cooking thread go? :smallredface:

A surplus of egg whites you say? You should bake a lot of home made meringue. Top it with cream and fresh fruit, and you've got a delicious dessert for all occations.

Worira
2010-11-07, 05:17 PM

They do, actually. You can get them in a carton.

Meg
2010-11-07, 05:50 PM
My dad and I used to make pancakes together every Saturday morning. Fond memories, right there.

Anyway, I'm inclined to agree. Making pancakes from scratch takes MAYBE half an hour, and most of that is cooking time. I do occasionally screw up the flipping of the pancakes, but I have everything else down pat. I don't use mixes, and I can't understand why some people do, but this "pancake in a can" stuff intrigues me. If I saw some in a store, I'd probably buy it out of curiosity, if nothing else.

And those of you who like your pancakes raw in the middle were clearly dropped as infants.

Heliomance
2010-11-07, 06:02 PM

The Russians, for one. Blini are quite salty.

Also, Pancakes should not have a middle to be raw in. They should be as close to two-dimensional as is humanly possible.

Eldan
2010-11-07, 06:07 PM
No, it's just me. I cook lots of cream pies which have a custardy sort of base that requires separated egg yolks. In theory, I could use the leftover egg whites for meringue toppings, but that requires a saving throw for every damn pie and one failed pie and one successful pie isn't as tasty as two pies without the damned meringue.

If I were you, I'd just make the meringues separately. They shouldn't be too difficult that way. I've made them a few times.

Katana_Geldar
2010-11-07, 06:48 PM
There's a lovely chocolate cake called the Sacher torte that requires egg whites.

Irbis
2010-11-07, 06:59 PM
They do, actually. You can get them in a carton.

HERESY! :smallyuk:

The Russians, for one. Blini are quite salty.

Also, Pancakes should not have a middle to be raw in. They should be as close to two-dimensional as is humanly possible.

Mmmm, Blini with cheese, pepper, onion... Forget pancakes, it's the way it should be done! :smallyuk:

Yup, we have them too. Sadly, in our land, they pollute them with jam. JAM! Can there be a greater culinary crime? :E

Meg
2010-11-07, 07:19 PM
Ibris' comment about jam on pancakes makes me wonder: What if anything do you put on pancakes, and where do you live?

I generally put butter and warm maple syrup on pancakes. I also sometimes just eat plain pancakes directly off the stove, particularly if I'm feeling ill. Comfort food at its finest. I'm from the U.S, by the way.

Cobra_Ikari
2010-11-07, 07:24 PM
Yogurt. Also for waffles and French toast. I am apparently the only person who does this. >.>

Mauve Shirt
2010-11-07, 07:27 PM
Usually butter and warm maple syrup. On blueberry pancakes I like goat cheese.

Creed
2010-11-07, 07:30 PM
A decent pancake is easy, merely childsplay, as it has already been said many times.
An EXQUISITE pancake, on the other hand, is only difficult at the best, but neigh-impossible with a mix or the aerosol pancakes.:smalltongue:

Eldan
2010-11-07, 07:39 PM
A selection of things I've put on (or in) pancakes (there's probably more):

-Various cheeses (hard ones, soft ones, grated ones, cheese spreads, cow, goat, sheep, buffalo, yellow, white, blue, green and red)
-Spinach
-Bolognese
-Tons and tons of different kinds of jam
-Honey
-Cinnamon
-Hazel- or walnuts
-Ham
-Various flavours of ice cream
-Small bits of bacon
-Maple syrup
-Chocolate
-Mashed potatoes
-Salsiz (a kind of meat... can't really describe it in English)
-Apple- and/or pear purée
-Vanilla cream
-Sour cream and herbs

And I'm in Switzerland. Pancakes work with pretty much everything you could use bread for, really. Or Pasta.

Irbis
2010-11-07, 07:41 PM
Ibris' comment about jam on pancakes makes me wonder: What if anything do you put on pancakes, and where do you live?

I generally put butter and warm maple syrup on pancakes. I also sometimes just eat plain pancakes directly off the stove, particularly if I'm feeling ill. Comfort food at its finest. I'm from the U.S, by the way.

Pancakes with maple syrup are great, problem is, they don't sell that here, and I'm too accustomed to bliny - which are salty, so I use salty things with pancakes, too. But, we do them without any pieces of fruits or anything like that.

Though, I ate pancakes with apples inside with hollandaise, and they were quite nice.

Besides, you eat bliny (which should be thinner than pancakes) rolled in quart:

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/3529/bliny.jpg

Or in letter:

http://www.mojegotowanie.pl/var/self/storage/images/przepisy/desery/bliny_na_slodko/1046172-1-pol-PL/bliny_na_slodko_popup_watermark.jpg?ei=fkbXTMOmA4y OjAfs982uCQ

So you can put anything into them.

Even jam.

golentan
2010-11-07, 08:07 PM
Unless, of course, it's tasty red. :smallwink:

And no, I have no idea on how you could screw up pancakes. They're supposed to be the ultimate non-screwable food, aren't they? :smalleek:

Clearly you have never tasted the decadent glory that is the Red Velvet Pancake. Yes, Red Velvet cake in pancake form.

Anyway, agreeing with the general attitude of "how do you mess THAT up?" There are a million ways to make them, and the recipe is tremendously forgiving. As for how I take my pancakes, I think that corncakes (a salty pancake with corn flour and which I often melt cheese over) cooked thin and crispy are actually my favorite, though the classic american pancake with butter and cinnamon sugar is a very close second.

Fun story, did you know that if you dip a piece of flannel in pancake batter and fry it up it is both A) indistinguishable in appearance and flavor from the real deal and B) physically incapable of being cut or chewed by anyone else at the table and C) a brilliant april fools joke.

Stumblebee
2010-11-07, 08:20 PM

I'm from southwest Tennessee. I like to put some chocolate chips in the batter and serve the results with butter and syrup. And you didn't ask, but it seems pertinent: we use Bisquick to make them instead of doing it from scratch.

Come to think of it, I haven't had pancakes or waffles in years. Looks like I'll be getting up early tomorrow :smallamused:

Mercenary Pen
2010-11-07, 08:24 PM
I have eaten both sweet and savoury pancakes.

With savoury ones we generally serve them as a stack, with alternating cheese sauce and home made tomato sauce between the layers...

Toppings I enjoy for sweet pancakes include maple syrup, golden syrup, other flavoured syrups (including strawberry, toffee and chocolate flavours), the classic sugar and lemon juice combination and occasionally jam.

DeadManSleeping
2010-11-07, 09:04 PM
I just made pancakes from scratch and they were tasty. Gotta love family recipes.

Katana_Geldar
2010-11-07, 09:20 PM
I want some good pancakes now. :smallmad:

The bad ones I sent back to the kitchen and had poaches eggs with hollondaise sauce and avocado on toast. Toast was doughy so my dog ate it.

Serpentine
2010-11-07, 09:51 PM
It's actually turned out to be quite a hassle to find ways to cook the egg whites and more often than not I find myself throwing them out. As coincidence would have it, the most common use turns out to be pancake batter.I've had this problem before. I think I ended up going with angelfood cake. Ridiculously sweet, but very tasty. There's some biscuits that use eggwhites, too, or a nice healthy omelet.

And those of you who like your pancakes raw in the middle were clearly dropped as infants.To a large extent I only cook the batter at all because I feel like I should.

Ibris' comment about jam on pancakes makes me wonder: What if anything do you put on pancakes, and where do you live?Lots of things. Examples:
Maple syrup.
Maple syrup and icecream.
Maple syrup and fruit.
Fruit and icecream.
Berry sauce (preferably homemade).
Berry sauce and icecream.
Berry sauce and berries.
Chicken, cheese, garlic and pine nuts.
Smoked trout, parmesan cheese and herbs.

For me, pancakes are divided up into:
Crepes - milk, egg, flour, pinch of salt. Mix well, in a very thin batter. Smear around the pan as thinly as possible. Usually served with savoury fillings, for me (sweet crepes are grand, too, but usually I'll add a bit of sugar for them).
Normal pancakes - sugar, milk, egg, flour, pinch of salt. Mix well into a fairly thick batter. Pour into the pan to size. Usually sweet toppings.
Thick pancakes - sugar, milk, egg, pinch of salt, self-raising flour or a mix of self-raising or plain depending on desired thickness. Usually sweet toppings.
Flapjacks - American pancakes, especially those sold at MacDonalds.
Pikelets - Thick pancakes or flapjacks cooked teeny-tiny. Usually served with cream and jam.

The Cookbook thread is too old to rescusitate without asking a mod, alas. Pity, cuz I really need good, easy, bread-free lunch recipes that I can make/take to work.

Katana_Geldar
2010-11-07, 10:05 PM
My sister used to make lovely satay chicken crepes on a flat sandwich toaster.

snoopy13a
2010-11-07, 10:15 PM
I usually don't go with maple syrup. Instead, I'll usually use corn syrup (or whatever the cheap syrup is made up of).

I realize that maple syrup is far superior and it tastes much better. However, it is also relatively expensive and I always feel guilty using it. Store-brand syrup, now that's different :smalltongue:

THAC0
2010-11-07, 10:59 PM

Pumpkin pancakes. Win.

The Husband has a thing for chocolate chip pancakes.

Also, I have once consumed cheesecake pancakes. Divine!

Katana_Geldar
2010-11-07, 11:14 PM
Corn syrup? Yehhhh! Gross!

Skeppio
2010-11-07, 11:33 PM
This thread's making me hungry, and I've just realised I haven't had pancakes in ages. :smallfrown:

Trog
2010-11-08, 12:23 AM
Clearly you have never tasted the decadent glory that is the Red Velvet Pancake. Yes, Red Velvet cake in pancake form.
°¬° *drools a little* Recipe plz. Can haz?

golentan
2010-11-08, 12:49 AM
°¬° *drools a little* Recipe plz. Can haz?

A quick google search turns up dozens. I don't know which one I had but...

Hmm... they looked more like this (http://thekitchykitchen.blogspot.com/2010/01/red-velvet-pancakes.html) but I suspect they used a cream cheese based topping like this. (http://www.thebreakfastcook.com/931/red-velvet-pancakes) Top 2 hits.

Delicious, though.

Katana_Geldar
2010-11-08, 01:26 AM
What exactly is red velvet cake?

Drakevarg
2010-11-08, 01:37 AM
The only pancakes I ever tried to cook myself, I burnt. Admittedly I was like 10 at the time, and I tossed chocolate chips into the batter just because. It went... poorly.

Also, whats all this noise about two-dimensional pancakes? Pancakes should be fluffay!

golentan
2010-11-08, 01:38 AM
What exactly is red velvet cake?

A decadent and delicious form of chocolate cake.

Mystic Muse
2010-11-08, 01:44 AM
Also, whats all this noise about two-dimensional pancakes? Pancakes should be fluffay!

Agreed.

I've had syrup, peanut butter, and powdered sugar on my pancakes.

Also, how do you eat uncooked batter? That doesn't seem like it would taste too good to me. Am I just too accustomed to candy?

Tirian
2010-11-08, 01:57 AM
I've had this problem before. I think I ended up going with angelfood cake. Ridiculously sweet, but very tasty. There's some biscuits that use eggwhites, too, or a nice healthy omelet.

Yeah, I have found that I can't bring myself to eat egg white omelets. I have some sort of strange lifelong aversion to fried eggs. Although I could use one egg and one dose of egg whites to make an omelet, that can get hard to measure. Angel food cake sounds like a fantastic plan, though. I'll have to go shopping for a tube pan.

(Also, Eldan, thanks for the suggestion. I should get more fruit in my life, and then use that as an excuse to eat more meringue cookies.)

Returning to the pancakes, I don't think there's any reason to beat up people who have trouble with it. But it is a skill that you can learn to do in your sleep (which is how most people make pancakes on weekend mornings, I trust). Here's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1ajYx0UIxo) a good video on the subject that covers almost all the secrets I know. Frankly, I think that whipping the egg whites separately is overkill, but blending all the wet ingredients before folding in the dry ingredients is really important, as is testing the griddle to make sure it is the right temperature and not pressing down on the pancakes after you flip them. The only other thing I do a little differently is to make the batter a little more watery and to pour it from a squeeze bottle rather than getting a cup measure all gunky like that.

ThreadKiller
2010-11-08, 02:08 AM
Pancakes aren't too difficult with practice and a good recipe, but it's hard to cook both sides evenly because one side would be perfect and the other would always have craters on it. Is possible to cook pancakes perfectly?

Serpentine
2010-11-08, 02:09 AM
edit @^: Yes, but they don't have to be exactly the same on both sides. The right temperature's fairly important (I wrote down the right number for my mum's electric pan in my kiddy recipe book) - medium's about the best I can offer, though, and the first one is always a screw-up, which is how you get the temp right. Like I said, you flip the pancake when the holes forming on the surface don't fill in after they pop. The other side should be golden-brown by then. Then you just make sure you check it regularly 'til it's the colour you want, and take it out.

Also, how do you eat uncooked batter? That doesn't seem like it would taste too good to me. Am I just too accustomed to candy?With a finger and/or spoon.
Honestly, it probably wouldn't taste too good to you. I know I'm fairly weird with that. But I adore raw batter and dough. Even really bland stuff - like pastry dough - I can't stop eating!
Now I want some dough or batter, but it doesn't feel right to make it just to eat it raw >.<

Mystic Muse
2010-11-08, 02:18 AM
With a finger and/or spoon.

Hardy har har.:smalltongue:

Okay. I think I have to make pancakes tomorrow. I'd make them tonight but it's a little late.

EDIT: I do like raw cookie dough and brownie batter. Can't think of anything else off the top of my head though.

golentan
2010-11-08, 02:18 AM
Honestly, it probably wouldn't taste too good to you. I know I'm fairly weird with that. But I adore raw batter and dough. Even really bland stuff - like pastry dough - I can't stop eating!
Now I want some dough or batter, but it doesn't feel right to make it just to eat it raw >.<

<3 (^_^)

I loooove raw batters and doughs. Tollhouse (style, not brand) cookie dough is my very favoritest sweet ever.

Serpentine
2010-11-08, 02:22 AM
Waaaaaay back in the day, when I was 6, I used to, when noone (i.e. dad) was around to catch me and tell me off, break off a piece of frozen pastry, warm it up in the microwave (not too much - it should be defrosted, but not puffing) and eat it in secret :3 I mentioned it to my sister recently and she said she had some equally disgusting comfort food, but alas I can't remember what it was.

Mystic Muse
2010-11-08, 02:26 AM
Waaaaaay back in the day, when I was 6, I used to, when noone (i.e. dad) was around to catch me and tell me off, break off a piece of frozen pastry, warm it up in the microwave (not too much - it should be defrosted, but not puffing) and eat it in secret :3 I mentioned it to my sister recently and she said she had some equally disgusting comfort food, but alas I can't remember what it was.

I think I missed the part about that that was supposed to be "Disgusting" what's bad about slightly thawed pastries?

I like frozen ones better though. Chocolate chip chocolate muffins are so much better frozen than they are hot.

The_Admiral
2010-11-08, 02:29 AM
Butter or honey(Australian honey not that cheap stuff from China)

Serpentine
2010-11-08, 02:30 AM
Not "a pastry". Pastry. Frozen puff pastry. As in this stuff:
http://www.eurofoods.com.au/images/ready_rolled_sheets.jpg

Mystic Muse
2010-11-08, 02:40 AM
Not "a pastry". Pastry. Frozen puff pastry. As in this stuff:
http://www.eurofoods.com.au/images/ready_rolled_sheets.jpg

Yeah, that looks significantly more unappetizing than I thought. Still looks slightly better than what some of my aunts and uncles used to do which is eat butter right off the stick. :smallyuk:

Serpentine
2010-11-08, 02:43 AM
Blech. Never liked butter unless it was melted.

Mystic Muse
2010-11-08, 02:44 AM
Blech. Never liked butter unless it was melted.

It's not bad when on pancakes and waffles, but otherwise I personally only like it on popcorn.

Tirian
2010-11-08, 02:52 AM
I'm also not a big fan of butter on pancakes. I'm REALLY not a fan of butter on bread, which completely obscures the taste of what is usually yummy bread, and while pancakes aren't quite as naturally yummy I'd still rather be tasting what I'm eating.

(In my mind, popcorn is supposed to taste like salt and butter, so that's okay.)

Terumitsu
2010-11-08, 02:52 AM
This is possibly the worst thread to be reading when one has an attack of a late night appetite.

But yes, pancakes should be fluffy and preferably with fruit and a bit of whipped cream on top. This goes double for buttermilk pancakes.

Sadly, I have not the means to make any delightful breakfast pasteries due to dorms lacking a functioning kitchen in them but I suppose I can do something about that the next time I'm at home. My family pretty much expects me to do most of the pastry-baking. Not that such a bad thing...

And this reminds me.. Gonna have to make some pumpkin pie soon..

Serpentine
2010-11-08, 02:54 AM
pancakes aren't quite as naturally yummy I'd still rather be tasting what I'm eating.You obviously haven't had my pancakes. Although really good fresh bakery bread is divine...

Katana_Geldar
2010-11-08, 03:04 AM
the first one is always a screw-up, which is how you get the temp right.

The first pancake belongs to the cook.

And I think there is no better food than crusty fresh bread and butter.

Heliomance
2010-11-08, 03:36 AM
I've had this problem before. I think I ended up going with angelfood cake. Ridiculously sweet, but very tasty. There's some biscuits that use eggwhites, too, or a nice healthy omelet.
To a large extent I only cook the batter at all because I feel like I should.
Lots of things. Examples:
Maple syrup.
Maple syrup and icecream.
Maple syrup and fruit.
Fruit and icecream.
Berry sauce (preferably homemade).
Berry sauce and icecream.
Berry sauce and berries.
Chicken, cheese, garlic and pine nuts.
Smoked trout, parmesan cheese and herbs.

For me, pancakes are divided up into:
Crepes - milk, egg, flour, pinch of salt. Mix well, in a very thin batter. Smear around the pan as thinly as possible. Usually served with savoury fillings, for me (sweet crepes are grand, too, but usually I'll add a bit of sugar for them).
Normal pancakes - sugar, milk, egg, flour, pinch of salt. Mix well into a fairly thick batter. Pour into the pan to size. Usually sweet toppings.
Thick pancakes - sugar, milk, egg, pinch of salt, self-raising flour or a mix of self-raising or plain depending on desired thickness. Usually sweet toppings.
Flapjacks - American pancakes, especially those sold at MacDonalds.
Pikelets - Thick pancakes or flapjacks cooked teeny-tiny. Usually served with cream and jam.

The Cookbook thread is too old to rescusitate without asking a mod, alas. Pity, cuz I really need good, easy, bread-free lunch recipes that I can make/take to work.

What? Flapjacks are nothing to do with pancakes! They're made of oats stuck together with some sort of syrup. Very tasty, not pancakes.

Mercenary Pen
2010-11-08, 10:22 AM
What? Flapjacks are nothing to do with pancakes! They're made of oats stuck together with some sort of syrup. Very tasty, not pancakes.

You'd think that, but apparently some parts of the world seem to confuse the two...

Serpentine
2010-11-08, 10:23 AM
Hey, it's just what MacDonalds call their concoctions *shrug*

KuReshtin
2010-11-08, 10:36 AM
I like pancakes. it's so easy to make pancake batter, and even if you don't get it right straight away (that's why the first pancake is the cook's) it's easy to sort out.

I'm also a bit disappointed with Teddy and Tsofu for not mentioning the noblest of pancake dishes:

The Pancake Cake - Pannkakstårta
http://www.recept.nu/polopoly_fs/1.133419.1234537567!image/2822359275.jpg_gen/derivatives/w450/2822359275.jpg

It's a cake. Made from pancakes.

Teddy
2010-11-08, 11:07 AM
Yup, we have them too. Sadly, in our land, they pollute them with jam. JAM! Can there be a greater culinary crime? :E

HERESY! Of course you're supposed to have jam with your pancakes!

I like pancakes. it's so easy to make pancake batter, and even if you don't get it right straight away (that's why the first pancake is the cook's) it's easy to sort out.

I'm also a bit disappointed with Teddy and Tsofu for not mentioning the noblest of pancake dishes:

The Pancake Cake - Pannkakstårta
*snip*

It's a cake. Made from pancakes.

Yes, you should be. In fact, I'm dissappointed at myself for not mentioning it.

KuReshtin
2010-11-08, 11:16 AM

Agreed!

Yes, you should be. In fact, I'm dissappointed at myself for not mentioning it.

Shame on you, Teddy. BAD Teddy!

As punishment, you now have to make one and treat your family for the evening.

Melange_Pie
2010-11-08, 03:21 PM
It took me two years to perfect my pancake making skills, now they come out right everytime, flipping technique and everything :smallcool:

Katana_Geldar
2010-11-08, 04:44 PM

There's two kinds and I have the recipe for both.

Coidzor
2010-11-08, 05:14 PM
As far as I'm concerned, pancakes have only been done right once.

And the result now walks amongst us. :smallbiggrin:

But, seriously, I've only run into problems when something's come up and I've gotten distracted while cooking which has resulted in them being a bit more brown than I like.

I thought you were supposed to use fresh fruit or at least fruit preserves rather than a jam wherever possible for euro-style. :smallconfused:

Learn something new every day.

Irbis
2010-11-08, 07:35 PM

HERESYYYYYYY!!!!! :smallfurious:

Ok, eat (nomen omen) this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/98/Kartoffelpuffer.jpg/800px-Kartoffelpuffer.jpg

Potato pancakes!

I wonder where you will put your jam NOW, eh? :smallyuk:

Ok, to be honest, they don't taste like potatoes much, and while they are eaten with mayonnaise or sour cream, they're excellent with sweet things, too (like sugar, mead, or syrup) and it is in fact preferred way of eating for many.

Oh, and if done well, they're easily ages away from these pesky normal pancakes :P

Heliomance
2010-11-09, 11:28 AM
What are those? They look rather nice.

Asta Kask
2010-11-09, 11:33 AM
HERESYYYYYYY!!!!! :smallfurious:

Ok, eat (nomen omen) this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/98/Kartoffelpuffer.jpg/800px-Kartoffelpuffer.jpg

Potato pancakes!

I wonder where you will put your jam NOW, eh? :smallyuk:

In Sweden we eat them with Lingonberry jam... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingonberry_jam)

*takes cover*

KuReshtin
2010-11-09, 12:04 PM
In Sweden we eat them with Lingonberry jam... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lingonberry_jam)

*takes cover*

Mmmmm.. Raggmunkar. With salted, fried side pork. *drooools*

Elder Tsofu
2010-11-09, 12:38 PM
Man, why did you have to mention raggmunkar?!
*Drifts of to nostalgic culinary heaven*

I thought you were supposed to use fresh fruit or at least fruit preserves rather than a jam wherever possible for euro-style. :smallconfused:

I've yet to find the difference between preserves and jam (US) - they appear to contain the same thing in the same amounts. I'm altering between them and haven't noticed much a difference either. (thinking of buying both at the same time to compare)

But in Sweden we have quite a lot of berry and fruit-content in our jam. (hard to compare though as I've yet to find a bottle in the US that lists it) :smalltongue:

Irbis
2010-11-09, 12:48 PM
What are those? They look rather nice.

Um, the name (http://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placki_ziemniaczane) is (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_pancake) just beneath the picture... :P

*takes cover*

You monsters eat everything with a jam. I remember my first visit to IKEA cafe, and staring in disbelief for 5 minutes at the french fries with some weird bitter jam.

FRIES! :smalleek:

Is nothing holy in this world? :P

golentan
2010-11-09, 12:52 PM
No, nothing.

Whenever I get cravings for raggmunk, I usually settle with latkes.

Speaking of which I may have to cook some tomorrow morning, if I remember to pick up some sour cream.

Elder Tsofu
2010-11-09, 01:04 PM
You monsters eat everything with a jam. I remember my first visit to IKEA cafe, and staring in disbelief for 5 minutes at the french fries with some weird bitter jam.

FRIES! :smalleek:

Is nothing holy in this world? :P

Ketchup? Dipp? Cloudberry jam?

Irbis
2010-11-09, 01:23 PM
It was Żurawina/Cranberry jam - I have no idea how it is called in Swedish, sadly.

By the way, what is 'dipp'? :smallconfused:

Mmmmm.. Raggmunkar. With salted, fried side pork. *drooools*

Ech, pork with these is an abomination, too. I don't even want to imagine how much fat is in them already, especially seeing that you make them shaped like doughnuts, not pancakes, if Wiki is right.

I guess it's tasty with bacon, but I don't want to die five minutes after eating :smalleek:

Asta Kask
2010-11-09, 01:31 PM
It was Żurawina/Cranberry jam - I have no idea how it is called in Swedish, sadly.

By the way, what is 'dipp'? :smallconfused:

Dipping sauce.

KuReshtin
2010-11-09, 01:39 PM

That would be the Lingonberry jam. What did you have the fries with? Please, please, please don't tell me that you had fries with the meatballs.
Cause THAT, if anything, is heresy.
Swedish Meatballs should be eaten with boiled potatoes with brown sauce and lingonberry jam.

Ech, pork with these is an abomination, too. I don't even want to imagine how much fat is in them already, especially seeing that you make them shaped like doughnuts, not pancakes, if Wiki is right.

I guess it's tasty with bacon, but I don't want to die five minutes after eating :smalleek:

Raggmunkar doesn't contain a whole lot of fat. It's mostly potatoes, eggs and a bit of milk. And if you pan fry the pork first, you can use the pork fat to fry the raggmunkar, so you don't get a whole lot of extra fat.
Also, it's a good, hearty meal.

Pannkakstårta, though, is most definitely not very healthy, but it's SOOOOOOO good!

Teddy
2010-11-09, 01:51 PM

Cranberry is "Tranbär" in Swedish (from the bird "Trana", or Common Crane). I can't find any referens to this Żurawina stuff you're talking about, though. The closest I got was a german town named Żórawina, but I wouldn't put a town in my jam... Cranberry isn't an especially common ingredient in our jams either. Blueberry and lingonberry are the most common ones.

Please, please, please don't tell me that you had fries with the meatballs.
Swedish Meatballs should be eaten with boiled potatoes with brown sauce and lingonberry jam.

Indeed. That would be so much heresy that there wouldn't be any font big enough to emphasis it enough.

Pannkakstårta, though, is most definitely not very healthy, but it's SOOOOOOO good!

Meh, it's just pancakes with extra cream and sugar. Nothing fancy, really.

Clarification: It's meh in an unhealtiness way, not tastiness way...

Elder Tsofu
2010-11-09, 02:08 PM
Pancake cake. ^^

Mystic Muse
2010-11-09, 02:18 PM
Harder to make good pancakes when you forget the no stick spray.:smallsigh:

Zanaril
2010-11-09, 02:26 PM
last year when I was on study leave, and was alone at home a few times, I tried making pancakes. I'm glad there was nobody else there to see what a mess I made of them. :smallyuk:

I think my main problem was that I just couldn't get the mixture right.

ThunderCat
2010-11-09, 02:33 PM
Harder to make good pancakes when you forget the no stick spray.:smallsigh:The what? :smallconfused:

Tirian
2010-11-09, 02:36 PM
Harder to make good pancakes when you forget the no stick spray.:smallsigh:

Yikes. I grew up in the past, and even my dad never tried cooking pancakes without a non-stick griddle. I can hardly imagine life before Teflon.

Mystic Muse
2010-11-09, 03:05 PM
The what? :smallconfused:

There are pans specifically made so that foods don't stick to them when you make them. I didn't use a pan like this and I forgot to put on a spray that makes them not stick.

cue a very very unappealing pancake.

Elder Tsofu
2010-11-09, 03:11 PM
... isn't a cast iron pan + butter/oil the usual way to make pancakes?
The special "pancake-pans" I've seen is cast iron too.

I've used teflon too, it works - but eh...

Eldan
2010-11-09, 03:12 PM
Ooh, and I totally forgot Pancake soup. Mhmmmm. Had some tonight.

Mystic Muse
2010-11-09, 03:12 PM
... isn't a cast iron pan + butter/oil the usual way to make pancakes?
The special "pancake-pans" I've seen is cast iron too.

I've used teflon too, it works - but eh...

I just went with what was quickest.

Serpentine
2010-11-10, 03:48 AM
Butter or margarine is what I always use. Although we do have a canola oil spray in the cupboard (my Boy bought it, not me!).

Asta Kask
2010-11-10, 06:04 AM
That would be the Lingonberry jam. What did you have the fries with? Please, please, please don't tell me that you had fries with the meatballs.

I eat meatballs with spaghetti and ketchup. Not really a fan of brown sauce. Although I know of a woman who lived for twenty years on brown sauce and coffee. She had all manners of strange deficiencies.

Eldan
2010-11-10, 06:06 AM
spaghetti and ketchup.

You horrible barbarian. I mean, at least buy some tomato sauce. :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2010-11-10, 06:08 AM
You live in Europe! You should know better!

Elder Tsofu
2010-11-10, 08:20 AM
Well, it works very well to the meatballs. :smallsmile:

golentan
2010-11-10, 10:24 AM
I eat meatballs with spaghetti and ketchup. Not really a fan of brown sauce. Although I know of a woman who lived for twenty years on brown sauce and coffee. She had all manners of strange deficiencies.

That's basically my family's meatloaf pie recipe, though it also requires onion soup mix.

It's better than it sounds. And it isn't actually a pie.

Coidzor
2010-11-10, 12:24 PM
Ooh, and I totally forgot Pancake soup. Mhmmmm. Had some tonight.

What is this? I don't even....

Asta Kask
2010-11-10, 12:30 PM
What is this? I don't even....

* In a small bowl, beat together egg, flour, milk and salt. Let stand 15 minutes. Heat a small amount of oil in a large shallow skillet. When oil is hot, cook 1 or more thin pancakes (crepes), remove from skillet. Roll up cooked pancakes and let cool. Using a sharp knife, cut pancake rolls into thin slices. Place strips into individual soup bowls.
* In a medium saucepan, combine well seasoned chicken broth with chopped parsley or chives and heat until steaming. Pour over pancake strips.