PDA

View Full Version : Online Tabletop mediums

Zanadar
2010-11-07, 09:17 AM
Hi there! Long time lurker and fan of the comic here. The comic inspired me to try and find a way to play tabletop using whatever medium possible. Sadly where I live there just isn't much of a culture for that sort of thing, and of course time is an issue. Eventually I found a group of friends online that were all interested, and one of them was an experienced GM who was looking to host an Online Saga Edition game. It's been going really great, but we've run into a hitch. We've been using Google Wave to run our game, and it's actually really good for it, it has a nice Dice Rolling app and a Battle Map app, overall it worked out very well. But, as some might have heard, Google Wave is getting the axe soon, and we're kind of left without a medium to play in. So, here's the question I've been getting at:

What sort of mediums do people around here use to play tabletop games online? I've heard mention of Facebook as an option, but I really haven't been able to find anything concrete on that. Any ideas?

Ichneumon
2010-11-07, 10:22 AM
You can use an internet forum, like this one, to play-by-post? There are also other forums. There's also "play by e-mail", never tried that before though.

I'm sorry to hear google wave didn't turn out well. It had potential, it just seems people weren't ready to enough or didn't know what to do with it.

Reinboom
2010-11-07, 10:30 AM
I mostly use MapTools (www.rptools.net) and then try to gather players using IRC
(server: gamesurge.net, channel: #giantitp)

This either works wonderfully if you are trying to DM for a D&D 3.5 game or D&D 4 game OR it works "ok" to "meh" if you are seeking to play in a game or trying to DM for something other than these two systems.

Squeeck
2010-11-07, 12:17 PM
Another user of maptool here, and it works wonderfully. Granted, one of the players has a knack for macroes, and he has scripted power buttons for each of the (4E) characters, that handle all to hit and damage rolls and similar effects. It has a built-in chat, (where the rolls and powers are displayed, for us) but we use Skype for communication, since it is much easier that way.