PDA

View Full Version : Spellcaster + Magic Immunity = ??? [3.5]

Callista
2010-11-07, 12:04 PM
What can a spellcaster do when their magic is canceled out somehow?

Possible ways of canceling a spellcaster's magic:
--Forcing Silent or Still spells by making verbal and/or somatic components impossible
--Counterspelling
--Using magic-immune creatures
--Using an antimagic field

What strategies should a spellcaster use against these tactics?

Magic-immune creatures: Spells without spell resistance allowed will still work.
Antimagic Field or Silence: Get out of range.
Counterspelling: Cast spells from hiding or while invisible so they can't see you to identify the spell.

And always having a silent or stilled (or both) escape spell available...

Am I missing stuff here?

bloodtide
2010-11-07, 12:57 PM
1.For magic immune or resistant creatures and counterspells: Buffs always work. You can enhance yourself and others.

2.For magic immune or resistant creatures and counterspells: Protection spells always work, so you can protect yourself.

3.For magic immune or resistant creatures:Battle field control spells still work. You can create a pit for example, or fog or such to effect the area.

4.For counterspells:You can get out of their counter range, use odd spells, enhance your initiative, or use magic items or weapons.

5.For magic immune or resistant creatures: You can get around this by not using the magic directly on the creature. You can use telekinesis to drop a boulder on the creature, for example.

-For making verbal and/or somatic components impossible, it will depend how they do it. For the most part magic items will still work. There are near componetless spells too.

-For anti-magic, the spellcaster is just better getting out of the area.

Stallion
2010-11-07, 01:02 PM
There's also a spell in Spell Compendium called Invoke Magic. It specifically allows you to cast magic in a dead zone or an antimagic field. 9th level spell, swift action to cast, one round duration.

Aharon
2010-11-07, 01:19 PM
As far as I know, Invoke Magic is in Lords of Madness, not in the Spell Compendium.

There's also Initiate of Mystra in Player's Guide to Faerun.

To deal with antimagic fields, there's the old adamantine hat trick. It only works for rather strong wizards, though, as it weighs about 50 kg (assuming similar density to iron and a really thin sheet, already taking into account the weight reduction of Shrink Item).

Psyren
2010-11-07, 01:28 PM
To deal with antimagic fields, there's the old adamantine hat trick. It only works for rather strong wizards, though, as it weighs about 50 kg (assuming similar density to iron and a really thin sheet, already taking into account the weight reduction of Shrink Item).

Why Adamantine? All you need to do is break line of effect to the field; any material enclosure can do that, even Mithral or tinfoil (if your campaign has that) or a regular fabric tent shrunk down into a hat.

Wings of Peace
2010-11-07, 01:35 PM
Unless I'm remembering my rules wrong 3.5 D&D treats Magic Immunity as equivalent to infinite spell resistance. So spells that bypass spell resistance should bypass Magic Immunity.

Psyren
2010-11-07, 01:44 PM
Unless I'm remembering my rules wrong 3.5 D&D treats Magic Immunity as equivalent to infinite spell resistance. So spells that bypass spell resistance should bypass Magic Immunity.

The OP covered that, actually

Aharon
2010-11-07, 01:58 PM
@Psyren
I think the guy who originally had this idea wanted something that was a bit durable, hence adamantine for hardness. If it isn't durable enough, the antimagic-enshrouded monster might be able to destroy your hat with the first attack of its full-attack, and then continue to rend you to pieces.

(Obviously, this is assuming you don't have any helpful immediate actions up your sleeve, and need the hat to last for one round, when you can get to safety with, for example, a standard-action teleport. I don't remember all specifics of the scenario, though.)

Psyren
2010-11-07, 02:04 PM
@Psyren
I think the guy who originally had this idea wanted something that was a bit durable, hence adamantine for hardness. If it isn't durable enough, the antimagic-enshrouded monster might be able to destroy your hat with the first attack of its full-attack, and then continue to rend you to pieces.

(Obviously, this is assuming you don't have any helpful immediate actions up your sleeve, and need the hat to last for one round, when you can get to safety with, for example, a standard-action teleport. I don't remember all specifics of the scenario, though.)

Just set up a contingency with the condition "my hat returns to full size." No actions necessary.

If durability of your hat is a concern though, use Mithral or Ironwood instead of Adamantine. Hard and light enough not to be debilitating :smallsmile:

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-11-07, 02:19 PM
Specific case of magic immunity: Golems, being mindless, do not fare well against most illusions.

Counterspells: Celerity, Conceal Spellcasting + big CL

AMF: Instantaneous conjurations

Area of Silence: Rod of Silent Spell

Can't move or otherwise use somatic components: Dimension Door

Ways to counter spellcasters: Bigger, better spellcaster. Rocks falling from the sky.

Aharon
2010-11-07, 02:20 PM
@Psyren
You're right, that would work. I misremembered it, I discussed it with somebody who wanted to try the trick offensively.

(Discussion found here (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19864558/Playing_the_unbeatable_wizard?pg=1), if you're interested.)