PDA

View Full Version : Vampire Template

DoctorHobo
2010-11-07, 01:45 PM
Worth it? Assuming you're in a campaign where only being able to function while the sun's down isn't a problem at all (I dunno, maybe you live in a fantasy version of Alaska where night lasts really long or your campaign takes place exclusively in the Underdark).

A big downside I see is that you're missing eight levels worth of HD, but having your current and future raised to D12, gaining a damage reduction of 10/silver or magic, and the ability to gain HP while bestowing negative levels seem like they might balance that a bit.

Now, spellcasters would be terrible, because who wants to sacrifice eight caster levels? The only class I see that wouldn't be majorly affected by losing eight levels of class features and caster level is fighter, in which case you'd be trading a bunch of feats for something resembling class features.

What's the Playground's opinion on the vampire template?

Greenish
2010-11-07, 01:51 PM
Worth it?No. :smallamused:

LOTRfan
2010-11-07, 01:53 PM
Yeah, I gotta go with Greenish here. If you want to be a vampire, I'd go with the Vampire Scion race (I can't remember the third party source book, one moment to look it up, please).

EDIT: Ah, here it is, Fang and Fury. (http://www.geeknative.com/824/fang-fury/)

The link brings you to a review of both the book and the template-race, the Vampire Scion.

DoctorHobo
2010-11-07, 02:00 PM
Someone from bioware worked on this? Nice.

Though I'm not so much attracted to vampires themselves as the tasty ability modifiers. +6 strength? That's pretty tempting.

EDIT: Actually. I just remembered a good fighter template. Goliath. >_>

LOTRfan
2010-11-07, 02:10 PM
Goliath is a template? :smallconfused:

Is there another Goliath outside the race from Races of Stone?

Oh, by the way, just for future reference, if you choose a race with +2 strength and add the Vampire Scion template, it grants you the +6 bonus to strength you want. Only sucky part is it gives you a lot of weaknesses, and +2 LA (but if you were willing to go with the LA +8 vamp, +2 shouldn't be a problem).

Greenish
2010-11-07, 02:14 PM
Though I'm not so much attracted to vampires themselves as the tasty ability modifiers. +6 strength? That's pretty tempting.

EDIT: Actually. I just remembered a good fighter template. Goliath. >_>Goliath is a race.

Of templates, even half-dragon gives +8 str at +3 LA, and is considered quite poor.

Lloth-touched is +6 str, +6 con (and some misc. skill bonuses) for +1 LA and being CE.

Feral gives (going from memory) +4 str, +2 con, -4 int, +2 wis, two d8 claws, +10' speed and 6 NA. +1 LA.

Mineral Warrior gives +2 str, +4 con, -2 int, -2 wis, -2 cha, burrow speed, +3 NA, 1/day smite and DR 8/Adamantine. +1 LA.

Half-minotaur is even sillier.

hamishspence
2010-11-07, 02:15 PM
There is a +1 template in Pathfinder (called Giant) that grants the creature increased size:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/templates/simple-template-giant-cr-1

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-07, 02:21 PM
Goliath is a race.

Of templates, even half-dragon gives +8 str at +3 LA, and is considered quite poor.

Lloth-touched is +6 str, +6 con (and some misc. skill bonuses) for +1 LA and being CE.

Feral gives (going from memory) +4 str, -2 dex +2 con, -4 int, +2 wis, two d8 claws, +10' speed and 6 NA. +1 LA.

Mineral Warrior gives +2 str, +4 con, -2 int, -2 wis, -2 cha, burrow speed, +3 NA, 1/day smite and DR 8/Adamantine. +1 LA.

Half-minotaur is even sillier.

Fixed that for you:smallwink: Kudos on having almost everything right.

and half minotaur is silly, because it gives like a +12 str (due the size increase), a con bonus... scent... and other goodies, in short a great (if cheesy) template for meleers.

LOTRfan
2010-11-07, 02:23 PM
But.... Minotaurs only have a +8 bonus to strength. Why would creatures diluted with the blood of other races get a +12 bonus?

DoctorHobo
2010-11-07, 02:23 PM
Right, right. Goliath is a race, my bad.

A Giant Goliath would be pretty nice. Large and able to wield Huge weaponry at a +2 LA.

Feral and Lolth-touched sound interesting. What books are they from?

hamishspence
2010-11-07, 02:25 PM
Feral is in Savage Species, Lolth-touched in MM IV.

Greenish
2010-11-07, 02:27 PM
Fixed that for you:smallwink:Right-o.

and half minotaur is silly, because it gives like a +12 str (due the size increase), a con bonus... scent... and other goodies, in short a great (if cheesy) template for meleers.Not to mention the actual size increase. Large for +1 LA would be a good deal even with no other bonuses.

Feral and Lolth-touched sound interesting. What books are they from?Feral is from Savage Species, Lolth-touched from MM4.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-07, 02:29 PM
But.... Minotaurs only have a +8 bonus to strength. Why would creatures diluted with the blood of other races get a +12 bonus?

The template itselfs only gives +4, but when a creature increase size from medium to large, it gains a +8 Str ergo a +12 bonus to str. This is the primary reason Half minotaur is considered so cheesy and OP

mostlyharmful
2010-11-07, 02:31 PM
nowhere near worth it unless you can use the d20 modern version which allows you to drop weaknesses for each power you lose, drop major problems for minor/crappy powers and you've got an interesting package (still crippling but MUCH less so).

It's a great flavourful template if you dont' give a monkies toss about leveling and you can get it in game, minion to an undead overlord for a session or two? sure, sounds like fun:smallbiggrin:

Urpriest
2010-11-07, 02:44 PM
The template itselfs only gives +4, but when a creature increase size from medium to large, it gains a +8 Str ergo a +12 bonus to str. This is the primary reason Half minotaur is considered so cheesy and OP

Yeah. I suspect that the "use table 4-2" text in the description was intended for AC/attack penalties from size, not the other stuff. But it was poorly written.

BeholderSlayer
2010-11-07, 10:26 PM
meh, slap another LA or so onto half minotaur and it's not so bad. uh oh...I just recommended changing the RAW, what is the world coming to?