PDA

View Full Version : Favored Soul/Maho-Tsukai? (A bit of posible cheese)

Maho-Tsukai
2010-11-07, 02:42 PM
I have always liked the Maho-Tsukai class that is my forum namesake. Yes, it essentially bars you from ever taking another PrC unless you somehow get a monstrous boost to your will save and yes it's dependent on having lots of taint, but I find it to be an interesting class that makes a **** good Necromancer.(A Maho is better at necromancer then a wizard or standard sorc could ever be, that's for sure.) However, I recently discovered some fun cheese. Simply put, by RAW, only shugenja and sorcerer spells count against your spells known when converting to Maho but any spellcaster with the proper prerequisites can enter into the class.

The "cheese" of which I speak is entry through Favored Soul.(or spirit shaman, if you prefer the Druid list to the cleric one.) Simply put, when you enter, since your known spells where not learned as a sorcerer or shugenja, by RAW your spells known do not count against your Maho spells known. However, there is a big question regarding this..

If your favored soul/spirit shaman spells do not count against spells known for Maho, what happens to them? Since Mahos have a set number of spells known would the favored soul spells just disappear completely or would you still be able to cast and use them as Maho spells but just not count towards your spells known limit? Or would they remain as a separate pool of spells that would be non-Maho and dictated by whatever base class you got them from? I ask because I seek to use a Favored Soul/Maho but I have only ever used that combo with houserules and thus I want to know by RAW what would happen to a Favored Soul/Maho in regards to spells known prior to taking the Maho class. As for the version of the Maho I use I use the one from D20 Rokugan's Bloodspeakers book, not the version from Oriental Adventures with the really tiny spell list.

And yes, I am back(kinda) on the site.