PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Question for all the Cloud or Guts wannabes

herrhauptmann
2010-11-08, 01:40 AM
I've semiregularly been posting that people who want to do large weapon damage should manifest psionic expansion, and get themselves a gold or platinum weapon. Between just those two, that's 2 (or 3) size increases for damage.

Thing is, I could've sworn there was a weapon enchantment for someone who had a Gold or platinum weapon. One which eliminated the need for the EWP: Heavy Greatsword (or whatever).
But now that I've got the opportunity to play such a character (gestalt, half minotaur, 30strength, 240 pound weapon), I can't find such an item enchantment.

So, does this enchantment actually exist and I'm too stupid to find it again, or have I been totally wrong about this portion of a character build?

CyMage
2010-11-08, 01:53 AM
It might be the 'Skillful' enchant. Grants proficiency and 3/4 BAB.

herrhauptmann
2010-11-08, 04:54 PM
Well it wasn't that one (would swear it was a Faerun book), but I'm pretty sure it would do the job.
+1 cost from complete arcane, right?

Last Laugh
2010-11-08, 05:48 PM
ooh oooh look at Mighty Wallop, Greater from Dragon Magic (maybe RoTD)
it's +1 size/ 4 Clvls to a bludgeoning weapon (caps at colossal)
then get a Dire Eagle mount and do charging dive attacks with your colossal morningstar :smallcool: (dive doubles piercing damage if you have a certain elevation change, as far as I can tell.)

Coidzor
2010-11-08, 06:23 PM
Hmm, there's the heavy enchantment which I think is functionally identical to gold/platinum. Might have been thinking of that.

Seffbasilisk
2010-11-08, 06:29 PM
Balanced. It costs +2, but lets you wield the weapon as one size smaller.

herrhauptmann
2010-11-08, 06:52 PM
Balanced. It costs +2, but lets you wield the weapon as one size smaller.

That's it I think, what book/page is it?

I can try for a wand of mighty wallop, but no idea if the party wizard would be willing to cast it for me. Plus you know, it's a wand, low Caster level. Plus I think I'm a little too heavy for a dire eagle (halfminotaur humans are Large). But a piercer cloak would be useful if I went that route, and a valorous lance.

Keld Denar
2010-11-08, 07:05 PM
For the price of a 3rd level wand (3x5x750=11250g) at min CL, you could get a single Pearl of Power III (DMG, 9000g) and a 3rd level scroll (3x5x50=750) and 300g in special inks, you could get it from the wizard at almost no cost to him. He'll simply prepare Greater Mighty Wallop instead of any spell he'd normally prepare twice (like Haste, or maybe Fireball if he's one of those kind). As long as he doesn't try to cast 2 3rd level spells in any given encounter, he'll be able to use the PoPIII between combats to recover a copy of one of his spent 3rd level spells. This allows YOU to pay the cost, get the benefit, and it barely inconveniences the caster. You also have the benefit of enjoying the full strength caster level, and he mostly gets to prepare the spells he wants.