PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] The Kingmaker module: rule your own nation

2010-11-08, 06:40 AM
Has anyone played this adventure path? (http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Kingmaker_%28adventure_path%29) Building a nation sounds like it'd be a great structure to build a DnD campaign around, but I'm curious about how well it'd work in play. Also, when I read the Player's Guide (http://paizo.com/store/downloads/pathfinder/adventurePath/v5748btpy8dqh) and saw that one of PCs will be King (or Queen, or potentially both if they're married) and that the kingdom will benefit from that character's Charisma score, I imagined a party consisting of a Paladin, a Sorcerer, a Bard and a lot of in-fighting.

So has anyone played this module? Is anyone currently playing it? Is anyone currently playing it in or around East London with a free slot open? :smallsmile:

Starbuck_II
2010-11-08, 07:28 AM
I'm playing it now on PBP (on this site), but we haven't got that far. Dealing with Bandits near a fort we arrived in first.

dsmiles
2010-11-08, 08:09 AM
OOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Sombody did a PnP module of that? I thought it was just for NWN.

DO. WANT.

Pierre Husted
2010-11-08, 08:11 AM
We've just started it, in our monthly gaming group.

We're mainly using the Kingmaker books because of the rules for running the kingdom.
I'm the DM, and I'll be using some of the events and some parts of the adventure path - but not all of it. I've set it in Duchy of Tenh in Greyhawk.

I've got a sorceror duke, a fighter warden, a thief spymaster and a cleric taxcollector (i think).

The rules for running the kingdom requires a lot of reading, and some experimenting to make sense. But once you get the hang of it, they seem quite solid.
I've made a spreadsheet to calculate the kingdoms modifier. I'll send you a copy if you'd like it.

Pierre Husted
2010-11-08, 08:12 AM
OOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

Sombody did a PnP module of that? I thought it was just for NWN.

DO. WANT.

It's available for NWN?? Where can I get it?

dsmiles
2010-11-08, 08:15 AM
NWN "Platinum Edition" or NWN "Diamond Edition" came with it, but I can't find it on the Bioware site anymore.

Pierre Husted
2010-11-08, 08:25 AM
It doesn't seem to be the same module. They just share the title.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neverwinter_Nights:_Kingmaker_%28module%29
http://pathfinder.wikia.com/wiki/Kingmaker_%28adventure_path%29

dsmiles
2010-11-08, 08:25 AM
Now I haz a sad. :smallfrown:

2010-11-08, 08:48 AM
I've made a spreadsheet to calculate the kingdoms modifier. I'll send you a copy if you'd like it.

I'm not sure how you'd do that, but I'd be interested in checking it out.

I heard there's a sort of tech tree when it comes to adding buildings to a city. Using strategy game terms, tier 1 buildings can't ever be built at a discount and allow the construction of tier 2 buildings at half price. Tier 2 buildings halve the cost of tier 3s, and tier 3s don't provide discounts. Is that about right?

Pierre Husted
2010-11-08, 09:16 AM
Some buildings provide discounts to building other buildings. But it's more like tier three buildings provide a discount to tier two buildings.

For instance Temple halves the cost of building Shrine, Graveyard or Monument in the same city.

I'll find the spreadsheet for you later. Hopefully today.

Mushroom Ninja
2010-11-08, 09:18 AM
I just started playing it two weeks ago. It's lots of fun. Very sandboxy.

ImperiousLeader
2010-11-08, 09:41 AM
Can the general kingdom running system be used by other games? If I wanted to run Kingmaker in 4e, for example?

Pierre Husted
2010-11-08, 09:45 AM
Yes, I would think so. It uses Gold pieces and the six standard stats - those are still there in 4E, right?

From what I've seen, alll the kingdom rules are in book #2 of the adventure path (I only own the first 4 books - there might be something important for high levels in book 5 or 6).

stabbitty death
2010-11-08, 07:13 PM
I would love to get a chance to run the founding ( and later tending) of a new kingdom:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:!

Xealot7
2010-11-08, 08:26 PM
I've been DMing this for the past few months and my players are into Book Three and 8th level currently. They tell me they have had a blast. My players built a spreadsheet as well and bought all of the expensive things first so they could get discounts for everything. Else. Yeah, if you players are smart, the Kingdom Building Aspect can get out of hand. Fast. Just an FYI.

The encounters and everything else is phenomenal though.

Tiki Snakes
2010-11-08, 08:35 PM
This does sound like a pretty interesting product. Might have to see if they have one in the FLGS. Wouldn't run it, even if I was a Pathfinder DM, but the running/building-a-city rules, if they are any good, could well prove handy in the future.

2010-11-08, 08:47 PM
I've been DMing this for the past few months and my players are into Book Three and 8th level currently. They tell me they have had a blast. My players built a spreadsheet as well and bought all of the expensive things first so they could get discounts for everything. Else. Yeah, if you players are smart, the Kingdom Building Aspect can get out of hand. Fast. Just an FYI.

The encounters and everything else is phenomenal though.

What sort of out of hand? I imagine that the adventuring affects the kingdom building, but is the opposite true?

Also, I heard that the encounters are infrequent enough (in terms of in-game time) that spellcasters go into more of them with all their spells than they might in other modules. Is that true? Is it an issue if it is?

Aron Times
2010-11-08, 08:57 PM
I'm thinking of playing a psion (4e) or a sorcerer (3.5) focused on mind control spells to take over Britannia establish my rule and then take over the world!

Someone should run a game here in the Playground.

Starbuck_II
2010-11-08, 09:21 PM
I'm thinking of playing a psion (4e) or a sorcerer (3.5) focused on mind control spells to take over Britannia establish my rule and then take over the world!

Someone should run a game here in the Playground.

There is: have you checked the threads lately?
You could start a topic asking if anyone will DM a kingmaker game.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51

Or look to see if there is one.

Hawriel
2010-11-09, 01:04 AM
Friend of mine and I want to play through the campaigne. It is reminiscent of the old Bloodstone Lands campaine.

We just need players who dont think like a vidio game.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-11-09, 01:08 AM
I'm playing it now on PBP (on this site), but we haven't got that far. Dealing with Bandits near a fort we arrived in first.

I'm in the same PBP, and I've been purchasing the books myself so I can run it IRL. I can say from what I've read, it's pretty awesome, and while there needs to be at least one person with good Charisma, there's enough leadership roles besides simply being king that everyone can do something important and useful for the kingdom.

Pierre Husted
2010-11-09, 01:47 AM
My spreadsheet can be found in our forum: http://www.famsigvardsen.dk/forum/index.php?topic=41.0

The text in the forum is in danish, but just tells, that the sheet is a copy made after the group was knighted, and given a small town plus a mine.
The first post contains a link to the spreadsheet in Google Docs, and the second post contains an Excel-sheet.

Xealot7, could you get your players to share their sheet?? Would like to see it - maybee I completely missed something.

And yes, with 11 leadership positions, there are posibilities for any kind of character.

Xealot7
2010-11-09, 04:46 AM
Mostly the way the Kingdom can produce Magic Items that can be sold to put into the Kingdom coffers in the form of BP. The replenish in every Upkeep Phase and as such can be sold every turn based on Economy Checks. If they build the correct buildings early, they can make 25 or more BP very early in the game. It doesn't affect the adventuring portion as... well they know they will face adverse situations if they were to steal the items for themselves.

I'll ask the player who created the spreadsheet whether or not he minds me sharing it.