PDA

View Full Version : Mummy? Where do baby hags come from?

Leeham
2010-11-08, 09:43 AM
Seriously? There're all female right? And they're Monstrous Humanoids, so they're flesh and blood presumably. So where do new hags come from?

Coidzor
2010-11-08, 09:44 AM
Illusion magic.

Prime32
2010-11-08, 09:45 AM
Either asexual reproduction, transforming others into more hags, or wicked old women spontaneously transform into them.

Eldan
2010-11-08, 09:45 AM
Sexual relationships with human males. For Night Hags at least, though those are unrelated to the Monstrous Humanoid Hags.

Kobold-Bard
2010-11-08, 09:46 AM
Summon Baby Hag (Su)

Usable 1/10 years, creates a Hag of 1/2HD, and is a bay as far as physical & mental abilities. If the baby is cared for by a Hag for 3 years it becomes capable of surviving on its own, unlocking the most basic of it's abilities.

Probably requires an SS progression.

Callista
2010-11-08, 09:47 AM
Yep. Read up on Hagspawn (http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Hagspawn)--they are what happens when a hag seduces a human male and ends up with a male baby (the females become full hags).

Eldan
2010-11-08, 09:48 AM
Ah. Monstrous Hags too, in that case. Interesting though that the males are fey.

Lapak
2010-11-08, 10:07 AM
I've always gone with 'they adopt and transform humanoid women' in my campaigns.

EDIT: When I've bothered to think about it, anyway.

Amiel
2010-11-08, 10:08 AM
Clearly the hags would have used a summon stork spell.

Perhaps a dim reflection of their fey heritage, hags are capable of donning the facade of glamour, appearing as beautiful females. These forms entice and seduce those who manifest carnal desire and wish to slake this desire through consummation.
Following the conclusion of such acts, the unfortunate victim's sanity as well as body are shredded as the hag discards its mask.

Pokonic
2010-11-08, 11:07 AM
To solve that problem, trolls or another Monstrous Huminoid may be all male, and hags are the females.

Yukitsu
2010-11-08, 12:02 PM
DM: You get hit by the hag with a ray of enfeeblement.
Me: My strength drops to 0, and I fall over. I guess I'm probably going to get eaten first.
DM: What's your charisma?
Me: 22.
DM: They might eat you when they're done with you.
Me: :smallfrown:

Dr.Epic
2010-11-08, 12:04 PM
A wizard did it.

awa
2010-11-08, 12:08 PM
trolls have females at least in normal dnd

lesser_minion
2010-11-08, 12:08 PM
The official answer, according to the relevant Ecology article, is that hags prey on males of other species. Hag offspring appear to be normal members of their father's species until they transform into hags at around 40.

Hags don't raise their offspring themselves -- instead, they give them to unwitting humanoid couples, replacing the couple's own child.

WinceRind
2010-11-08, 12:18 PM
Seriously? There're all female right? And they're Monstrous Humanoids, so they're flesh and blood presumably. So where do new hags come from?

Dubious amounts of alcohol and magical assistance like Charm, Suggestion, Dominate and whatever else.

O_o

Gorgondantess
2010-11-08, 12:18 PM
There's a reason most of them have disguise self as SLA's. And sea hags... well, dazed for three days tends to open up, ah, possibilities.
But, yes, I believe they mate with human males disguised as lovely human females. That's evident both in folklore & in various splatbooks.

WinceRind
2010-11-08, 12:19 PM
The official answer, according to the relevant Ecology article, is that hags prey on males of other species.

They don't raise their offspring themselves, either -- instead, they steal a humanoid child and replace it with their own.

Hoorah, my guess was correct!

Tvtyrant
2010-11-08, 12:22 PM
I like the Troll one though; they even look the same! In fact, the dichotomy between them is almost 1950's. Males are big, muscly, and regenerate. Females are small (relatively) and use magic. Then they both take levels in lightning warrior and you have the perfect species!

awa
2010-11-08, 12:24 PM
if i recall correctly female trolls are bigger and smarter than their male counterparts

Malbordeus
2010-11-08, 01:09 PM
wouldnt take a lot.

but I am now tempted to introduce half-troll hags into my next DnD game.

Mastikator
2010-11-08, 01:19 PM
Dubious amounts of alcohol and magical assistance like Charm, Suggestion, Dominate and whatever else.

O_o

Oh man, imagine waking up to THAT in the morning.

Coidzor
2010-11-08, 01:49 PM
Oh man, imagine waking up to THAT in the morning.

They usually don't.

Marnath
2010-11-08, 11:25 PM
if i recall correctly female trolls are bigger and smarter than their male counterparts

Citation needed. :smalltongue:
Seriously, if there was a Troll ecology article, can you read it to me? I don't have any dragon magazines.

Set
2010-11-08, 11:34 PM
They could also capture children, perhaps after killing their parents, and raise them to believe all sorts of 'fair is foul' things, like that they are sheltering them from the evil community that killed their parents (leaving out the bit about the community is good, and filled with concerned relatives, and that it was the Hag who killed the parents). After a decade of this warped upbringing, combined with regular doses of some foul elixirs from the hag's witch-y cauldron, the kidnapped child has completed her transformation.

Unless it fails, in which case, the disappointed hag eats the child whose stubborn humanity would not fade.

I'd go with multiple choice. Some hags are kidnapped human(ish) children that have been transformed through spite and lies and dark magic. Some hags are born to seduced human(ish) males, with the act perhaps quickened by the hag killing him afterwards (or the child's later transformation triggered by the murder of her unwitting father). Some hags can point to a troll and say, 'daddy works for me now.'

Amiel
2010-11-09, 01:15 AM
They usually don't.

Well, they'd wake up, but wouldn't know what they pounded :smalltongue:

Victim: Why, this is bizarre
Hag: Hmm, what's that. What is?
Victim: I do believe I've never seen you before in my life
Hag: I was here last night. Your heart said no, but your "eyes" cried oh yes
Victim: Well, I certainly need to have my memory jogged. Mind sharing again?

Kensen
2010-11-09, 09:09 AM
DM: You get hit by the hag with a ray of enfeeblement.
Me: My strength drops to 0, and I fall over. I guess I'm probably going to get eaten first.

From the SRD (Ray of Enfeeblement): "The subject’s Strength score cannot drop below 1." :smalltongue:

Anyway, that's how I imagine most female-only races reproduce: They use male humans (sometimes elves and other races). Because of their magical nature, the human parent's contribution doesn't dilute the monstrous genes at all. Medusae have to do it in the dark, or have the men wear blindfolds. :smallbiggrin:

Zen Master
2010-11-09, 09:20 AM
Yea ... this is how you gain favors from hags. Which relates to another recent thread: This, presumably, would be how The Nameless One managed to curry a measure of favor with Ravel Puzzlewell.

Meaning also that there could be an heir to the throne - somewhere among the orphans of Sigil. Hm.

awa
2010-11-09, 09:22 AM
Citation needed. :smalltongue:
Seriously, if there was a Troll ecology article, can you read it to me? I don't have any dragon magazines.
i don't own the third edition monster manual (i use the srd) but from the second edition monster manual (in second edition each monster had a whole page and therefor a lot more fluff)

"trolls live in small packs of 3-12 trolls led by a dominate female who acts as shaman/chieftain. she casts priest spells at 7th level..."

the dnd wiki also supports this although im hesitant to use it because i have heard few good things about the dnd wiki

Eldan
2010-11-09, 09:47 AM
Yea ... this is how you gain favors from hags. Which relates to another recent thread: This, presumably, would be how The Nameless One managed to curry a measure of favor with Ravel Puzzlewell.

Meaning also that there could be an heir to the throne - somewhere among the orphans of Sigil. Hm.

Watch out, though: Night Hags and other hags are, apparently, not related: one's an Outsider of the wastes, the other are monstrous humanoids with fey ties. Though it seems they do indeed reproduce in a similar fashion.

dsmiles
2010-11-09, 09:54 AM
Well, they'd wake up, but wouldn't know what they pounded :smalltongue:

Victim: Why, this is bizarre
Hag: Hmm, what's that. What is?
Victim: I do believe I've never seen you before in my life
Hag: I was here last night. Your heart said no, but your "eyes" cried oh yes
Victim: Well, I certainly need to have my memory jogged. Mind sharing again?

:eek:
Talk about 'Coyote Tuesday.'

Swooper
2010-11-09, 10:06 AM
I usually fluff trolls as asexual. They reproduce when they lose a limb - the troll grows a new limb and the limb grows a new troll. :smallamused:

Someone mentioned medusae... 2nd Edition had male versions, called maedar. They may have been updated to 3rd edition sometime?

EvilJames
2010-11-09, 10:07 AM
trolls have females at least in normal dnd

not only do they have females but at least according to my 2nd ed Monster Manuel they are a matriarchal society. Females tend to be priests of Vaprak and such and the head priestess rules the clan with iron fist.

but yeah hags mate with humanoid males just like Sirens and Slyph (the latter two not needing to disguise themselves) Dryads on the other hand mate with Satyrs (I generally assume nymphs also mate with satyrs)

Pokonic
2010-11-09, 03:07 PM
I did know that trolls had females, but if you look at a pic of a green hag and troll side by side, they look very similer to the point they look more related to each other than say, a human.

Eldan
2010-11-09, 05:40 PM
Wasn't the sample creature for a half-troll a hag?

jseah
2010-11-09, 05:55 PM
This is similar to my earlier Life of a G. Cube question.

Not least because a few hags working together can cast Control Weather (for good or ill)
So a suitably ruthless society could capture enough hags to force them to keep the weather stable (or sabotage enemy countries)

as well as serve as prostitutes to the unwitting lower class citizens in order to preserve their numbers.