PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Stating up Lord Robilar

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-08, 12:42 PM
Lord Robilar, in the Epic level handbook is stated up as a completely underwhelming Fighter 24, I am sure we can give try to make him justice and stat him as an epic melee threat (and make his blade of black ice a worthwhile epic weapon, a +5 keen icy burst bastard sword... is.... bad)

So any ideas?

Frosty
2010-11-08, 01:12 PM
Lord Robilar first of all needs to chamge his weapon to have Reach, so he can Threaten more area. That way, he can take advantage of more AoOs in general from those around him...

Adumbration
2010-11-08, 01:16 PM
You know, I once saw an awesome depiction of Robilar statted out on these forums. Let's see if I can find it.

Person_Man
2010-11-08, 01:24 PM
Any Fighter 20+ build is going to be a joke in an Epic level game that includes at least one Full Caster 20. But L. Rob is an NPC, so it doesn't matter. The DM can simply grant him higher stats, homebrew feats, better treasure, and/or cheat on die rolls (the most powerful and nefarious NPC ability) as needed.

SurlySeraph
2010-11-08, 01:55 PM
@^: Yeah, but same goes for any epic-level non-caster. So let's do the best we can.

Let's start with his sword. We could give it the Extending enhancement (hand-waving how it can't be applied to swords), or add a use-activated stretch weapon spell. Or both. We could add Icy Blast, because it's an epic-level cold weapon, so of course it should have the epic-level cold enhancement. Alternately, we could give it an effect like the Winterwight's Blightfire. If he hits you back every time you hit him, that's going to get terrifying in short order.

Feat-wise, hitting things really hard, taking risks, and battlefield control seem thematic. Combat Reflexes, Improved Trip, Knock-Down, his Gambit, Karmic Strike, and probably plenty of other AoO-granting feats. Since he's mundane and we want him to have half a chance against wizards, the Mage Slayer line is a good idea; he has Blindfight in his official writeup anyway, might as well add in Pierce Magical Concealment.

His write-up gives him 11 Int, but 16 Wis and Cha. I would have reversed Wis and Int and made him a Warblade, since Robilar's Gambit really doesn't strike me as the kind of thing a very wise character would rely on, but that's optional. He certainly needs to have some ToB class, though. A Crusader who venerates the ideal of adventuring, maybe?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-11-08, 02:11 PM
I think warblade is a better fit, we can get Thicket of blades.... through two feats anyway... ( I don't have my books at hands, so I can't check if thicket of blades pre-requisites other than IL ).

So the combo of Karmic Strike + Robilars Gambit+Mage slayer are ~ 8 or 9 feats.. hmm he will be extremely feat starved.

Cieyrin
2010-11-08, 02:56 PM
So the combo of Karmic Strike + Robilars Gambit+Mage slayer are ~ 8 or 9 feats.. hmm he will be extremely feat starved.

I imagine Lord Robilar as something of a Fighter/Warblade, so that smorgasbord of bonus feats should take care of a good amount of that, plus being Human. Add in some Flaws and he should probably be doing fairly well.

hamishspence
2010-11-08, 03:10 PM
It's worth remembering that (according to Expedition to the Ruins of Greyhawk) the guy in Epic Handbook is.....

(warning- adventure spoiler)
not the real Lord Robilar at all. It's his mirror-universe counterpart.

So- there is a canonical justification for restatting him