PDA

View Full Version : Help me with a trap!

Dust
2010-11-08, 01:13 PM
Running a 4e game, one of the characters has declared himself to be the 'Trap-MASTA,' the designated guy who charges headlong into danger and then disables the trap once he is through.

I want his first trap experience to be a classic, so I'm thinking the long stone bridge (deep pits on both sides) with scything blades swinging across from side to side. But, not being a trap fellow normally, I realize I have no idea how one would 'disable' such a thing.

So a 'scything blade hallway' style trap. What causes the blades to move? Is it magic, and if so, how would it be disabled? Is there some orc sitting at the end of the hallway a la Ozzie from Chrono Trigger, pulling levers to keep the blades in motion? What d'you think?

dsmiles
2010-11-08, 01:36 PM
If it were my campaign world, I'd say use a steam engine to run it. But the standard answer would probably be, "magic." Or perhaps, "momentum," if they only swing for a limited amount of time.

Sipex
2010-11-08, 01:45 PM
Most standard traps have four things: Visual Indication, Ability to predict, Trigger panels and A control panel.

Visual indication usually just requires a moderate perception check and you give the players something like "You notice grooves along the bridge here, here and here." (where the scythes pass)

Ability to predict would require, say, a dungeoneering check. Your player runs the check and if it's successful he accurately predicts where the blades will strike next, allowing his fellow party members to dodge them.

Trigger panels are what activates the trap, you can spread out as many of them as you want. They usually require a moderate or hard perception check to notice and the same thievery check to disable. Most panels can be disabled via attacking them too if the players wish.

Finally the control panel, usually hidden somewhere in the room, requires a hard perception DC to find. When a player finds it they can approach it and use thievery checks to disable the entire trap. Usually requires between 2 and 4 successful checks before 3 failures (keep it low though, it gets boring fast otherwise). Failure to disarm usually causes the control panel to explode and the trap to run on overdrive.

In fact, there is a swinging scythe type trap detailed in the DMs guide, I'd really recommend taking a peek at that. It gives the players several ways to be awesome and contains a lot of what I just detailed here. Feel free to adjust it to your needs.

Radar
2010-11-08, 01:46 PM
Just the same way as pendulum clocks (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum_clock) - there are same weights, that power the whole thing and have to be regularly pulled back up. He might get to the whole mechanism (probably on the other side of the bridge for obvious reasons). He might not bother with that and try to climb each swinging axe and unplug it from the power source (if he can reach the ceiling and can fiddle with some mechanisms, while hanging on the swing).

Dust
2010-11-08, 01:57 PM
Thanks, folks. You guys are awesome.

Psyx
2010-11-09, 07:37 AM
Have the blades as pendulums.
As an extra homage to 1e, have green slime on the metal pendulum rods, so that they can't simply be grabbed or roped.

Sipex
2010-11-09, 09:09 AM
Have the blades as pendulums.
As an extra homage to 1e, have green slime on the metal pendulum rods, so that they can't simply be grabbed or roped.

That last part I would recommend for later, once your players have played a bit.

Then you re-introduce a trap which seems the exact same as an old trap except it's got surprises in place to stop the players from solving it the old way.

Radar
2010-11-09, 10:11 AM
That last part I would recommend for later, once your players have played a bit.

Then you re-introduce a trap which seems the exact same as an old trap except it's got surprises in place to stop the players from solving it the old way.
Exactly: you don't unleash truly gygaxian traps on new players. Another modification might be something like this: the swinging blade's hook is balanced just right to hold the weight of the swing. Any additional weight (a PC) will detach the swinging blade. Works best when the swings are big and move fast over the bridge.

Sir Swindle89
2010-11-09, 10:34 AM
I don't know how it works but being a trap it can be easily solved useing Immovable Rods. If you players didn't pack any well, sux to be them.

Sipex
2010-11-09, 10:37 AM
4e doesn't have immovable rods so that isn't a problem here.

Sir Swindle89
2010-11-09, 10:55 AM
4e doesn't have immovable rods so that isn't a problem here.

There are immovable staves in one of the Item compendiums i think.

Sipex
2010-11-09, 10:57 AM
This warrants looking into. I wonder if they work the same way and how much they cost (too expensive would make it moot since you're usually dealing with traps like this early and something more arcane and sinister later).

Lev
2010-11-09, 11:00 AM
I recommend Grimtooth's Traps.
http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/gifs/traps2.jpg

These traps are brilliant and inventive, and if you think they are too easy, add cooking oil, fire and kobalds.

Toric
2010-11-09, 11:23 AM
Running a 4e game, one of the characters has declared himself to be the 'Trap-MASTA,' the designated guy who charges headlong into danger and then disables the trap once he is through.

Put a dummy lever on the far end of the bridge that does nothing but open the pebble-concealed trapdoor on the side the party began on that contains another lever. This second lever is what stops the blades. The trapdoor can be found with a Perception check and open by mundane means.

dsmiles
2010-11-09, 01:19 PM
I recommend Grimtooth's Traps.
http://www.flyingbuffalo.com/gifs/traps2.jpg

These traps are brilliant and inventive, and if you think they are too easy, add cooking oil, fire and kobalds.

Seconded. Grimtooth's is one of my favorite DnD resources.