PDA

View Full Version : Few questions concerning necromancy

Doresain
2010-11-08, 01:26 PM
1) is the Skeletal Minion given by the variant necromancer in UA subject to the bonuses granted by corpsecrafter or enhanced undead? it doesnt say whether you actually create the skeleton or not, it just says that you obtain one

2) can said Skeletal Minion be awakened using awakened undead?

3) this one doesnt pertain to necromancy in the normal sense, but would Heal be sufficient for knowledge of humanoid anatomy or would that be something else?

thanks in advance

dsmiles
2010-11-08, 01:31 PM
I'd go with, "yes."

Yes, but as with other awakened thingies, it ceases to be a familiar/companion/minion, and must be re-bought as a cohort or second character.

And I'd say, "yes," here too.

Doresain
2010-11-08, 01:36 PM
well poo, there goes the character concept i had for my necromancer

new question: how much of a stretch would it be to give necromancers the Heal skill as a class skill? what would be a good trade off for it?

Feliks878
2010-11-08, 01:41 PM

new question: how much of a stretch would it be to give necromancers the Heal skill as a class skill? what would be a good trade off for it?

Well, it's not heal (not sure if you wanted that for a specific reason) but as Wizard in general you get all Knowledges, taken individually as class skills, right? And Knowledge says "With your DM’s approval, you can invent new areas of knowledge." I would say convincing your DM to allow you to have a "Knowledge (Anatomy)" or something along those lines wouldn't be a big deal.

dsmiles
2010-11-08, 01:42 PM
You realize, of course, that that was the opinion of one DM, and not even your DM, at that.

Assuming wizard is the base for your necromancer, why use Heal? Throw some ranks into Knowledge(Anatomy: <insert race here>).

Keld Denar
2010-11-08, 01:47 PM
There are a couple ways to get Heal on your class list. The most notable I can think of is to be a Glimmerskin Halfling (Dragon Magic). It gives you the [Dragonblooded] subtype, a immediate action +2 to one save 1/day, and makes Heal a class skill forever, all for the low low price of your halfling racial skill bonuses.

Most of the other ways involve burning a feat.

Doresain
2010-11-08, 01:50 PM
knowing my DM, he may view it the same way...of course, i wont know for sure until wednesday

knowledge (anatomy) sounds good, but having heal as well would be nice...playing a necromantic doctor

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-11-08, 01:59 PM
1. Probably not, but it depends on whether the ceremony to obtain it would be considered a necromancy effect. Entirely up to your DM, but I'd say yes.

2. Awakening most familiars or animal companions changes their creature type, usually becoming an invalid creature for that role. In the case of Awaken Undead, it's still an undead skeleton, so there's nothing stopping you from doing this and keeping it as your skeletal minion.

3. I think this has been sufficiently answered already.