PDA

View Full Version : Is profession (trolling) a viable skill?

gooddragon1
2010-11-08, 02:11 PM
I put 1 rank into profession (trolling) in each of my characters. I'm wondering if by RAW it is allowed (my DM has already allowed it).

WarKitty
2010-11-08, 02:13 PM
http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/content/images/gear/trolling4.jpg
Yes.

Or was that not what you meant? :smallbiggrin:

Coidzor
2010-11-08, 02:15 PM
Yeah, but you'll always be playing second fiddle once the Wizard gets Summon Bigger Fish.

Comet
There's no way you can make money out of trolling. So that kind of shuts it out of being a profession.

Or at least I really, really hope so. Because if someone can make a living out of that skill, damn.

edit: WarKitty changed my mind. My next character shall be a professional troller!

Prime32
I put 1 rank into profession (trolling) in each of my characters. I'm wondering if by RAW it is allowed (my DM has already allowed it).Only if you're a ghost with an essentia pool and Exotic Weapon Proficiency (kusari-gama).

Chess435
2010-11-08, 02:26 PM
Don't forget to give your caster the Animate Thread spell!

Keld Denar
2010-11-08, 02:27 PM
This guy fishes you out of the water if you fall off screen, does that count?
http://static.funnyjunk.com/CommentPhoto/d07b8473_e614_3dba.jpg

Telonius
2010-11-08, 02:29 PM
There's no way you can make money out of trolling. So that kind of shuts it out of being a profession.

Or at least I really, really hope so. Because if someone can make a living out of that skill, damn.

There are ways, but they're off-limits by forum rules.

gooddragon1
2010-11-08, 02:38 PM
I always thought of my characters as career trolls. It's always best to leave these sorts of things to professionals.

Sample DM comment:
DM-The bartender is obviously trying to hint for you guys to leave.
Me-Perfect time for a trolling attempt *rolls a 20*. Excellent! 20+5 ranks+4 wisdom=29 I troll him for 29
DM-You do so well you even make a face that looks like this:
http://kindalame.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/trollface.gif
... he mad.

I'm not in it for the money, I just use it when an NPC has double crossed us and we have him at our mercy. It's just perfect.

Feliks878
2010-11-08, 02:38 PM
Somewhat unrelated, but we have a player who insists on having 1 rank of Profession: Rocket Scientist and 1 rank of Craft: Underwater Basketweaving on his character sheets from time to time. It never comes up, and he spends skillpoints on it, so it's mostly an injoke now.

gooddragon1
2010-11-08, 02:41 PM
Somewhat unrelated, but we have a player who insists on having 1 rank of Profession: Rocket Scientist and 1 rank of Craft: Underwater Basketweaving on his character sheets from time to time. It never comes up, and he spends skillpoints on it, so it's mostly an injoke now.

Thats okay, I take the feat: Bonus Feat at level 3.

Bonus Feat [General]

Benefit

You gain a feat of your choice.

Special

You can gain Bonus Feat multiple times.

Keld Denar
2010-11-08, 02:42 PM
Hey...Basket Weaving is serious business! (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870302/The_Basket_Weavers_Handbook)

NEO|Phyte
2010-11-08, 02:44 PM

That's actually a pretty good feat, since it doesn't say you need to meet the requirements of a feat to take it.

Comet
2010-11-08, 02:44 PM
Ooh, an idea!

Trolling, and the brave men who do such. Hunters of the most dangerous prey.

"Yes, ma'am. We are trollers, of the professional variety. Just show us the place where those sheep of yours were slaughtered, give our hounds a minute to get a scent and sponsor us the materials we need for a few torches and we'll sort these tenacious bastards for good. Payment in advance."

Yes, real trolls are so much cooler than the witty little gnomes from the Internet.

Spiryt
2010-11-08, 02:57 PM
http://i39.tinypic.com/1zbw3lh.jpg

ericgrau
2010-11-08, 03:03 PM
Given the lack of business possibilities and the ability to evoke an emotional response in observers, I think trolling falls under perform rather than profesion.

I was in a campaign where any kind of weaving was required for planar travel... the group's plane-shifter chose basket-weaving. Later we created a custom race with a +4 racial bonus, among a dozen other random things.

grarrrg
2010-11-08, 04:06 PM
Somewhat unrelated, but we have a player who insists on having 1 rank of Profession: Rocket Scientist...

Does he have that because the DM once insisted that a puzzle-trap 'doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out' ?

grimbold
2010-11-10, 01:33 PM
how about ranks in knowledge (spontaneous combustion)
gave that to a wizard once...
hehehe

Keld Denar
2010-11-10, 01:45 PM
Meh, anyone can put ranks in "Rocket Scientist", and anyone can put ranks in "Brain Surgeon". But...have you ever met someone with ranks in "Rocket Surgeon"? I think not!

Iku Rex
2010-11-10, 02:07 PM
Ooh, an idea!

Trolling, and the brave men who do such. Hunters of the most dangerous prey.

The Troll Hunter - Official Trailer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vy2nAOdBUlw)

(Norwegian low budget mockumentary.)

Lhurgyof
2010-11-11, 12:30 AM
DM: "Wait, but you said your AC was 13!?"
YOU: *points to feats section* "Dodge: Always activated upon trolling check"

... Problem, DM?

Blue Ghost
2010-11-11, 12:34 AM
Makes you a bit vulnerable to fire, though.
And angry LG wizards who despise trolls.

senrath
2010-11-11, 12:42 AM
What? It makes you immune to fire. You become vulnerable to Banishment effects, though.

Coidzor
2010-11-11, 12:48 AM
And revolvers, don't forget the revolvers.

Lev
2010-11-11, 12:51 AM
Trolling is a part of bluff, it's countered by sense motive.

Murdim
2010-11-11, 06:44 AM
Take the Bonus Feat feat אi0 times.
Use the Chaos Shuffle to get every available feat, in every available book, as many times as you can.
This means you can have Skill Focus with every skill, each weapon-related feat with every weapon, Expanded knowledge for every available power, and (Greater) Spell Focus with every school. And I'm limiting myself to pre-epic Core here.
This also means that you can take feats like Toughness (+3 HP), Extra Turning (+4 turn attempts) Open Minded (+5 skill points) and Psionic Talent (+1 PP) a arbitrarily high number of times.
You still have אi0 Bonus Feat feats left, for when new feats become available.
Reach the epic levels. Enjoy your epic feats. Go "arbitrarily high" in just about everything, including ability scores, flat-footed AC, touch AC, BAB, number and level of spell slots, quickened spells per round, damage reduction, energy resistances, bardic music bonuses and range, lifespan, fast healing, smite multiplier, darkvision range, death attack and stunning fist DC, favored enemy bonuses, sneak attack damage, spell resistances.
???
Profit!

Radar
2010-11-11, 07:35 AM
Take the Bonus Feat feat אi0 times.
Use the Chaos Shuffle to get every available feat, in every available book, as many times as you can.
This means you can have Skill Focus with every skill, each weapon-related feat with every weapon, Expanded knowledge for every available power, and (Greater) Spell Focus with every school. And I'm limiting myself to pre-epic Core here.
This also means that you can take feats like Toughness (+3 HP), Extra Turning (+4 turn attempts) Open Minded (+5 skill points) and Psionic Talent (+1 PP) a arbitrarily high number of times.
You still have אi0 Bonus Feat feats left, for when new feats become available.
Reach the epic levels. Enjoy your epic feats. Go "arbitrarily high" in just about everything, including ability scores, flat-footed AC, touch AC, BAB, number and level of spell slots, quickened spells per round, damage reduction, energy resistances, bardic music bonuses and range, lifespan, fast healing, smite multiplier, darkvision range, death attack and stunning fist DC, favored enemy bonuses, sneak attack damage, spell resistances.
???
Profit!
When you shuffle the Bonus Feat feat, you lose it's benefits (the whole Bonus Feat tree), so it doesn't work that way. It would be more interesting, if you menaged to count Bonus Feat as a draconic feat (or some other type, which effects are dependant on the number of feats).

Project_Mayhem
2010-11-11, 07:49 AM
Given the lack of business possibilities and the ability to evoke an emotional response in observers, I think trolling falls under perform rather than profesion.

I was in a campaign where any kind of weaving was required for planar travel... the group's plane-shifter chose basket-weaving. Later we created a custom race with a +4 racial bonus, among a dozen other random things.

That of course means you could have a bard who ran off perform (trolling)

Presumably the debuff variants.

Ravens_cry
2010-11-11, 07:59 AM
That of course means you could have a bard who ran off perform (trolling)

Presumably the debuff variants.
True, but watch out for those with Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Ban Hammer, it autocrits on Trolls.

drakir_nosslin
2010-11-11, 08:10 AM
When you shuffle the Bonus Feat feat, you lose it's benefits (the whole Bonus Feat tree), so it doesn't work that way. It would be more interesting, if you menaged to count Bonus Feat as a draconic feat (or some other type, which effects are dependant on the number of feats).

That depends, I'd say. If you use the bonus feat loop to pick a countable infinite number of feats, then you could start with the last one you picked, since it's countable, and proceed that way down the line. You'd still get arbitrarily high ability scores etc.

Eldan
2010-11-11, 08:32 AM

Pretty powerful if you can get your hands on Chaos Shuffle.

Edit: Wow. I don't think I've ever been ninjaed so hard. That shoudl teach me to leave tabs open for a few hours.

Radar
2010-11-11, 09:23 AM
That depends, I'd say. If you use the bonus feat loop to pick a countable infinite number of feats, then you could start with the last one you picked, since it's countable, and proceed that way down the line. You'd still get arbitrarily high ability scores etc.
Bonus Feat N: gain Bonus Feat N+1
Shuffle Bonus Feat N+1 for X
Shuffle Bonus Feat N for Y => you lose Bonus Feat N+1 => you lose X

Any other interpretation would allow you to gain permanent feat through Heroics and Chaos Shuffle. The same goes for retraining repeatedly 5th level of Wizard class to gain infinitely many bonus metamagic feats and similar shenanigans.