PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Battle dome

MiniMoose
2010-11-08, 03:20 PM
So I want to start a battledome with some of my friends. We're in the middle of a standard 3.5 campaign (in which im a PC) but sometimes the DM doesn't have time to create new sessions or a particular player is missing and the rest of us have to miss sessions too. So the basic idea is just create a character solely based on combat, and have mini sessions each consisting of three sets of three fights. In between each set the toons "rest" and regain all HP, lose all status effects and regain all spells. After each session the toons gain a level, and we'll decide whether to go into epics or start over with new toons.

What I really want help in is some kind of power up system depending on how they fair during the fight. I was considering some kind of leaderboard for things like "Most dmg, most dmg mitigation" stuff like that, and whoever did the best each round got points to spend on permanent power ups (either they choose or random). My only problem with this is they would be competing to do better rather than working as a team, and whoever is better early on (and gets more power ups) will probably beast later on.

My second idea was have certain objectives per set of fights for them as a group. Things like "beat within X turns, take less than X dmg, etc"

The power ups I would say things like "+3 bonus to a chosen skill" or "1 additional spell slot of 2nd highest lvl".

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

dsmiles
2010-11-08, 03:23 PM
It should be called the Thunderdome, and must feature a Dwarf riding on the shoulders of his Ogre cohort.

MiniMoose
2010-11-08, 03:24 PM
It should be called the Thunderdome, and must feature a Dwarf riding on the shoulders of his Ogre cohort.

Done. Now what abot logistics of how it works?

dsmiles
2010-11-08, 03:30 PM
I think the objectives are better than the leaderboard. Not everybody needs to do damage to 'defeat' an opponent. It could be done in a viariety of non-damaging ways. (Submission, sleep spells at lower levels, etc.)
And you should have a system for adjudicating draws so that there is one clear winner. Guest celebrity judges would be good (the other PC's).

Myth
2010-11-08, 03:31 PM
OP are you familiar with the Tier list and the mechanics of 3.5 character balance? Are the others? This will play a huge role.

MiniMoose
2010-11-08, 03:40 PM
OP are you familiar with the Tier list and the mechanics of 3.5 character balance? Are the others? This will play a huge role.

No. Although we read up a lot on the rules and PrC/feats/extra flavor from a lot of books, we havent read too much on balance/optimization. Any specifics on what it is/how to use it.

Myth
2010-11-08, 03:44 PM
Read it. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1002.0) The gaps are too vast to outline. Tier 1 vs Tier 3 and below is just absurd.