PDA

View Full Version : Trick Out my Carriage 3.5

Nanoblack
2010-11-08, 03:47 PM
Once more I find myself with extra cash after character creation, and once more I find that buying a surplus of mundane gear is boring. So now I've decided to purchase a carriage... That's where you guys come in.

What are some nifty bells and whistles I could purchase to make an interesting and useful carriage?

nedz
2010-11-08, 06:33 PM
A little more information about your character might be handy ?

Cheesy74
2010-11-08, 06:35 PM
Arms and Equipment Guide has some nice vehicles (even a few self-propelled ones) you can purchase in lieu of a carriage. Turn every fight into a mobile battle and every blow dodged due to cover into a reason for your DM to hate you.

Just put some arrow slits in one of the covered ones and you're good.

Nanoblack
2010-11-08, 06:37 PM
A little more information about your character might be handy ?

Well I'd prefer it to be universally useful, but my character is a warlock/mindbender.

nedz
2010-11-08, 07:37 PM
Well I'd prefer it to be universally useful, but my character is a warlock/mindbender.

Oh - well I had lots of ideas if you were a Druid, never mind.

BenTheJester
2010-11-08, 07:49 PM
If your character is a warlock, all your leftover money should go in various wands.

druid91
2010-11-08, 08:03 PM
A mirror of opposition on the sides, keep it covered. in emergencies get rid of the cover, nothing like your evil twin leaping out of a mirror to tackle you off a moving horse to ruin your day.

JaronK
2010-11-08, 08:03 PM
Haunt Shift. You cannot trick out anything without Haunt Shift. Learn it, study it, love it.

JaronK

Tvtyrant
2010-11-08, 08:06 PM
make some attachments and buy a wand of Tenser's Floating Disk. Then you can make a floating wagon which is immune to tough terrain.

HunterOfJello
2010-11-08, 08:11 PM
At least 2 secret compartments filled with items from The Utility Belt (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4400.0) list.

Also, garlic hanging on the outside of the coach.

~

I think I remember some special materials for vehicles in the Eberron books, I'll have to look them up in a little while though.

~

You'll also need to tell us the gp limit on this carriage you're making. Otherwise we'll have a Warforged Charger replace your normal horses and equip it with magical items from the Stronghold Builders Guide.

Nanoblack
2010-11-08, 08:12 PM
All my skills went into the prereq's for mindbender. I know my character is kind of odd considering it's an assassin type game, but I don't want to be stereotypical with my wealth. So yes, I know wands would be more logical, but I don't have any ranks in UMD so help me out with some ideas for a badass new carriage.

BRC
2010-11-08, 08:17 PM
If it's an Assassin type game, see if your DM can let you apply some sort of Glamour effect to your carriage. You know, one minute it's a dingy taxi, you say a few words and it becomes a gilded carriage bearing a noble's Coat of Arms.

Coidzor
2010-11-08, 09:16 PM
Haunt Shift. You cannot trick out anything without Haunt Shift. Learn it, study it, love it.

JaronK

wait, isn't that where you put undead into items?

Crossblade
2010-11-08, 10:57 PM
*Cast Animate Object on it. Nothing like a Carriage that can drive itself!
*Put a keg inside it.
*Line it with some Carpets of Flying, so it can fly at will, and have interior carpeting. Carriages weight 600lbs, a 10x10 carpet has a capacity of 800lbs. You may need 2. They're 60,000 gp each though.
*From Stormwreck, p132, give it a Living Figurehead, granted they're intended for ships, but I'm sure the same theory can apply.
*Give it rotating rims. That'd likely only be a DC 23 Craft Woodwork/Iron smithing, at most.
*Give it a racing stripe (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RiceBurner).
*Put a Ballista on top of it.
*Give it a weapon rack?

Coidzor
2010-11-08, 10:58 PM
And don't forget to paint it red. :smallbiggrin:

JaronK
2010-11-08, 11:05 PM
wait, isn't that where you put undead into items?

Yes, thus giving them the ability to self locomote, fight, and operate the blinds for you. Do it right and your carriage will take care of itself.

JaronK

Coidzor
2010-11-08, 11:28 PM
Yes, thus giving them the ability to self locomote, fight, and operate the blinds for you. Do it right and your carriage will take care of itself.

JaronK

So you could have it so that you wouldn't need something pulling it and you could get cover between your turns in combat... rawsome.

Nanoblack
2010-11-08, 11:33 PM
Well without a cleric or a caster with command undead on their spell list, I think I might be out of luck on controlling it...

Lev
2010-11-08, 11:36 PM
Airship made of live oak with haunt shift cast on it.

If you are going for a ground based thing I'd go effigy and ride inside of it, or have something cool pulling a normal battle-fitted carriage.

The Shadowmind
2010-11-09, 12:16 AM
If you can get an alignment un-redistricted version, then getting an enveloping pit(MiC) gives you lots of storage room. A 50ft deep portable hole amount of storage space.

zephyrkinetic
2010-11-09, 10:05 AM
To go a bit more mundane, you could thumb through the Arms & Equipment Guide, as previously mentioned; they have armor plating rules, a few weapons, and a few magic items.
I'd spend a little extra money on a more awesome dray, honestly. Nothing sucks worse than having your Super-Awesome Battle-Outfitted +22 War Carriage of Mayhem pulled by an ox named Geoffrey. See if your GM will let you barter with a local zoo or something. Find yourself a rhino.

Also, a light catupult or ballista on a rotating platform on the roof is never a bad plan. Stick a trapdoor leading up and out, and you're golden.

DaMullet
2010-11-09, 10:05 AM
If you can get an alignment un-redistricted version, then getting an enveloping pit(MiC) gives you lots of storage room. A 50ft deep portable hole amount of storage space.

Since the rules don't outline any problems with mixing the same kind of extradimensional space, you could just buy a bunch of regular portable holes and put one in the next.

dsmiles
2010-11-09, 10:12 AM
First, you need ghost sound to get some really booming bass going, then you take a few keen kukris and make some spinners...

Lev
2010-11-09, 10:34 AM
To go a bit more mundane, you could thumb through the Arms & Equipment Guide, as previously mentioned; they have armor plating rules, a few weapons, and a few magic items.
I'd spend a little extra money on a more awesome dray, honestly. Nothing sucks worse than having your Super-Awesome Battle-Outfitted +22 War Carriage of Mayhem pulled by an ox named Geoffrey. See if your GM will let you barter with a local zoo or something. Find yourself a rhino.

Also, a light catupult or ballista on a rotating platform on the roof is never a bad plan. Stick a trapdoor leading up and out, and you're golden.
Rhino's are a really bad idea for a carriage puller unless you drug the WIS out of them.

I would go an undead rhino, mindless creatures follow orders nicely.

Hell, you wouldn't even need a handle animal check to drive it.

BRC
2010-11-09, 10:39 AM
My group once had lots of fun by casting a permanent Animated Object spell on our carriage. A Huge animated object like the Carriage would move at 60 ft per round (More with a double move), have a powerful trample attack.
Imagine, you buy a team of horses, the guards start chasing you down, when you cut the team loose and BOOM, your carriage shoots off, powered by it's animated wheels.

Lev
2010-11-09, 10:47 AM
My group once had lots of fun by casting a permanent Animated Object spell on our carriage. A Huge animated object like the Carriage would move at 60 ft per round (More with a double move), have a powerful trample attack.
Imagine, you buy a team of horses, the guards start chasing you down, when you cut the team loose and BOOM, your carriage shoots off, powered by it's animated wheels.
Cars in DnD, nice.

zephyrkinetic
2010-11-09, 11:22 AM
Rhino's are a really bad idea for a carriage puller unless you drug the WIS out of them.

I would go an undead rhino, mindless creatures follow orders nicely.

Hell, you wouldn't even need a handle animal check to drive it.

Just hire yourself an Equinelord driver.
Rhinoceri are equine, right? :smallwink:

Coidzor
2010-11-09, 12:49 PM

um, wat? Why would you willingly gimp your animal's will saves?

Tokuhara
2010-11-09, 01:02 PM
I suggest looking at things like Astral Gliders (i think) or other Outer Planes transport vehicles.

A Carriage driven by a Rhino Ghast is cool, but go big: A Rhino Effigy who can transform into a Maug!!!

Lev
2010-11-09, 01:12 PM
um, wat? Why would you willingly gimp your animal's will saves?
http://flyingfisch.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/slowpoke.png
Sedated so the animal is complacent.
Ornery animals tend to be a liability when around fragile things, like bring attached to a cart.

Coidzor
2010-11-09, 01:13 PM
http://flyingfisch.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/slowpoke.png
Sedated so the animal is complacent.
Ornery animals tend to be a liability when around fragile things, like bring attached to a cart.

Hence... Handle Animal...

If you sedate the animal's wisdom to 0, it won't run properly. If you sedate it to like, 1, there's no mechanical advantage in doing so unless you're using a will-save spell on it that'll also block someone else from using a will-save spell on it.

dsmiles
2010-11-09, 01:22 PM
A Rhino Effigy who can transform into a Maug!!!

Only if sound effects are allowed.

big teej
2010-11-09, 05:17 PM
And don't forget to paint it red. :smallbiggrin:

and go faster stripes..

Lev
2010-11-09, 05:28 PM
and go faster stripes..
And speed holes.