PDA

View Full Version : Magic Item Compendium

HMS Invincible
2010-11-08, 04:03 PM
I'm like a kid in the candy store when I think about crafting magical items. What are some cheap trinkets that I should grab or just buy? I already know about the obvious ones like headband of intellect?
Is there anything that increases my DC for my wizard? The items I chose didn't do what I thought it did so I'm very sad at my wasted expenditure.
I bought the arcanist gloves but it only increases my caster level, not the DC for my first level spells. What is that glove good for?
Chornocharm of the archmage only decreases full round spells into standard actions, not that useful for a wizard. =\ I misread it.

WhiteShark
2010-11-08, 04:06 PM
Bunko's Bargain Basement (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=350.0)

Gloves are good for any spell effect that relies on caster level (such as duration).

Keld Denar
2010-11-08, 04:36 PM
The only permanent magic items I can think of that increase save DCs are the standard Headband of Int and the Veil of Allure, with the latter only working for Enchantments and IIRC, Illusions.

There are lots of toys to get from the MIC though. My favorite 2 wizard items in there include the Anklets of Translocation (always worth it, even if you have Abrupt Jaunt), and the Circlet of Rapid Casting. Circlet is GREAT, even at higher levels, since there are a few very good 1st and 2nd level spells. Ray of Enfeeblement and Ray of Clumsiness are two I'm particularly fond of, especially when you follow-up with Evards (RoEnfeeblement lowers grapple checks) or Freezing Fog (RoClumsiness lowers Ref saves/Balance checks), but you can always go with the ol' True Strike option or a few other potent options. Solid Fog layered on top a Web means that even with a successful Str check, they are only moving 5' for a whole round's actions, no save. That means at least 4 rounds until you have to worry about that foe again, plenty of time to wipe out his friends and ready actions to trash him when he emerges. Etc.

I also like the Third Eye Clarity. This one recently saved my wizard's life in a 14th level combat. He got dazed by a Wings of Flurry, but through activating the Third Eye to get his turn back, he then followed it with a Stun Ray spell that disabled one of the bad guys for an extra round. Without it, the baddy probably woulda trashed someone else, as he was dropping a party member per round at that point.

Starbuck_II
2010-11-08, 04:42 PM
I bought the arcanist gloves but it only increases my caster level, not the DC for my first level spells. What is that glove good for?

Caster level? Magic missile based # of missiles on caster.
Caster level affects alot of good stuff.

herrhauptmann
2010-11-08, 06:56 PM
An item which grants you the psi power Synthesete.
Ignore blinding or deafening. If you're neither, you get a +4 listen or spot/search.
The face spot seems most appropriate as far as the placement of items on the body. Should be ~3k.

HMS Invincible
2010-11-08, 10:58 PM
Awesome, this is what I wanted, a list of everything cheap AND useful. What feat should I take to make them? Craft Wondrous item?

Keld Denar
2010-11-08, 11:06 PM
About 80% of useful cheap magic items are Wonderous, so...yea. There aren't a whole lot of rods to make Craft Rod worthwhile until you get to late levels. Same thing with Rings, and generally since you can only wear 2 rings its a raw deal. Just pay the cash for the rings you want. Craft Arms and Armor can be ok though, if you are putting together your whole teams arsonal, but otherwise not worth it.

herrhauptmann
2010-11-09, 03:25 AM
Synthesete is a psi item, so I think it's craft universal item.
Alternatively, join up with someone else who has the appropriate feats/spells. It's a web enhancement for phb2, lists rules for characters to cooperate on item crafting. Including, the party wizard making magic items for the party fighter, who contributes his own xp to the crafting, rather than the wizards xp.