PDA

View Full Version : Most Cost Effective Cheap Items

Black_Zawisza
2010-11-08, 08:16 PM
According to the DMG, L7 characters generally have about 19,000gp. I play as the wealthiest character in my party, and my net worth is a little over 5% of that (1000). :smalleek: Considering I'm a charging Warblade, what are the best items for me that are worth less than 2500gp?

Marnath
2010-11-08, 08:21 PM
Why do you have barely any money? It makes characters a lot weaker when they are that far below the wealth level. There's really not much you can buy for 1000 gold.

Keld Denar
2010-11-08, 08:21 PM
Anklets of Translocation (MIC, 1400g) are good for chargers. Swift action 10' teleport twice per day. You need 10' in order to charge someone, so if you charged them last round and they aren't dead, port back 10' and charge again! CHARGE!

Also, +1 weapon is 2k. +1 all saves is 1k, and if you use Diamond Mind stuff, +5 Concentration is 2500g even (Tunic of Steady Spellcasting, MIC).

HunterOfJello
2010-11-08, 08:36 PM
bolded items are Must Haves.

Bracers of armor +1, 1000gp, +1 enhancement bonus to AC
Greatreach bracers, 2000gp, 3/day +10 ft. to reach for 1 round

Robe of bones, 2400gp, Create assorted undead creatures

Third eye surge, 2100gp, 3 charges/day, bonuses on Str- and Dex-based checks and weapon damage

Dimension stride boots, 2000gp, +2 on Jump; 5 charges/day, teleport up to 60 ft.

Brute gauntlets, 500gp, 3 charges/day, bonuses on Str checks, Str-based skill checks, melee damage
Gauntlets of energy transformation, 1000gp, 3/day change energy type produced by any weapon you hold for 1 round
Devastation gauntlets, 2000gp, 3 charges/day, bonus damage on critical hits
Gauntlets of giantfelling, 2000gp, 3/day gain bonus on next damage roll against creature larger than you

Helm of battle, 2000gp, 3/day +2 on next bull rush, disarm, overrun, sunder, or trip attempt
Watch lamp, 500gp, Creates torchlike light at shoulder

Ring of protection +1, 2000gp, +1 deflection bonus to AC
Ring of feather falling, 2200gp, Triggers feather fall if you fall more than 5 ft.

Cloak of resistance +1, 1000gp, +1 resistance bonus on all saving throws
Cape of the viper, 2000gp, 3 charges/day, transform into a viper for 7 rounds

Amber amulet of vermin, giant bee, 500gp, 1/day summons a giant bee to serve you for 1 minute
Amulet of natural armor +1, 2000gp, +1 enhancement bonus to natural armor

Vest of resistance +1, 1000gp, +1 on saving throws
Tunic of steady spellcasting, 2500gp, +5 on Concentration

Healing belt, 750gp, +2 on Heal; 3 charges, heal damage with a touch

Crystal of return, least - 300 gp - put this on all your weapons to draw them as free actions

Wondrous Items

Blessed bandage, 10gp each, Immediately stabilizes target

Black_Zawisza
2010-11-08, 09:28 PM
Why do you have barely any money? It makes characters a lot weaker when they are that far below the wealth level. There's really not much you can buy for 1000 gold.
My DM's chosen to run a REALLY low-wealth and low-magic campaign. I don't think anybody has bought or crafted anything of importance since CharGen. :smallyuk:

Marnath
2010-11-08, 09:35 PM
My DM's chosen to run a REALLY low-wealth and low-magic campaign. I don't think anybody has bought or crafted anything of importance since CharGen. :smallyuk:

Do you have a masterwork armor and weapon already? Because those are what you absolutely can't be without. If you do, good, spend your money on something else, or making the armor magic. If not, definately get masterwork stuff.

Soren Hero
2010-11-09, 01:58 AM
bunko's bargain basement
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=350.0

/thread

ericgrau
2010-11-09, 02:14 AM
^ Not much useful under 2500 though.

With such a small budget you're pretty much stuck with masterwork weapons and armor, and random equipment listed in the Player's Handbook. Pitons, rope, locked gauntlets, climbing gear, oil, etc. Or the magic items (http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/magicItems.htm) section of the SRD sorts everything by price.

IMO expendables are highly underrated. Given that you only fight a few 5 round fights before each level, and you only use expendables for a small portion of those rounds, you're going to be done with an item eons before you use it 50 times and so the expendable version will be far cheaper for most things.

TurtleKing
2010-11-09, 03:35 AM
If you don't have a Bag of Holding Type I or a Handy Haversack then grab one. The bag is 2500 gp and the sack is 2000 gp. When you get the chance also grab a Portable Hole for some fun with a bag of Holding.

The gray Bag of Tricks for 900 gp is also nice. You could pull out an animal to do a varity of things. The Weasel, Cat, and Badger can fight with the Badger being the deadlest. The rat and bat can be used for scouting. You can also use the animals for clearing traps.

Escheton
2010-11-09, 06:02 AM
Yeah, just check out shax's tread for great cheap expendable items for utilily value. It's the best you can do at this point.
Just pick and choose to your liking and stuff it in a normal backpack.

Tael
2010-11-09, 07:21 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136760

Gnorman
2010-11-09, 07:51 AM
This handbook is also a great resource. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101)

kestrel404
2010-11-09, 08:12 AM
At level 8, retrain one of your feats to Sacred Vow (BoED, retraining is in DMG2). Then at level 9 take Vow of Poverty.

VoP is a weak feat - when compared to WBL. When compared to a no magic item campaign, it is exceptionally powerful.

Proceed to not care about not getting money.

dsmiles
2010-11-09, 08:49 AM
Healing belt, 750gp, +2 on Heal; 3 charges, heal damage with a touch

+1 to this, and a HHH, if you have enough.

Escheton
2010-11-09, 11:59 AM
On the subject of low low prices: What where the costcuts for having items only function for specific classes/races/skillusers?

Telonius
2010-11-09, 12:05 PM
What have you been fighting that doesn't have any items of value on it? Non-humanoid monsters only?

Greenish
2010-11-09, 12:27 PM
I like Steadfast Boots from MIC. 1400 gp and you get a free attack at double damage against anyone who charges you. Also +4 vs. Trip, Bull Rush and the like.

blackjack217
2010-11-09, 12:28 PM
does that stack with weapons that can be set against a charge?

Escheton
2010-11-09, 12:46 PM
It has to be a twohanded weapon and it has the effect of a braced spear. Though seeing it isnt actually that, spears would not get double+double=triple damage. Thats what I gather from it at least. So better with a glaive(and knockdown).

true_shinken
2010-11-09, 12:49 PM
Anklets of Translocation (MIC, 1400g) are good for chargers everyone and their grandma.

FTFY :smallbiggrin:

Greenish
2010-11-09, 12:54 PM
does that stack with weapons that can be set against a charge?As mentioned by Escheton, no.

It allows you to treat any two-handed weapon you're holding as readied against charge, and "deals double damage if your attack is successful, even if the weapon can't normally be readied against charge". I read that as not allowing double doubling.

herrhauptmann
2010-11-09, 03:17 PM
I like Steadfast Boots from MIC. 1400 gp and you get a free attack at double damage against anyone who charges you. Also +4 vs. Trip, Bull Rush and the like.

I've nothing useful to add to this thread (it's all been said already).
But I'm wondering, how would this work for some wielding a spiked chain, or a large creature with a nonreach weapon?
Ordinarily they'd get an AOO when charged by a nonreach character. But if they've got reach, and the boots, would they get the AOO, and then the free attack for double damage?

Keld Denar
2010-11-09, 04:03 PM
You would get 2 AoOs. No circumstance can ever provoke more than one AoO, but you've got 2 seperate circumstances here. One is entering a foes threatened area while charging (which provokes thanks to the boots) and one is leaving a threatened square.

It would be similar to if someone walked in a circle around you (provoke) and cast a spell (provoke). Two different circumstances, two different AoOs. Hope you got your Combat Reflexes ready!

Actually, scratch that, I have Steadfast Boots confused with Hold the Line. Hold the Line is an AoO, but Steadfast Boots allows you to be treated as "set of a charge", which is a type of special readied action. So, Steadfast Boots give you an extra standard action per round, essentially, under the condition that you can only use it to set for a charge (even if the weapon doesn't normally allow you to set it for a charge). Still, an extra standard action per round all day is pretty shnazzy for 1400g.

Greenish
2010-11-09, 04:20 PM
Ordinarily they'd get an AOO when charged by a nonreach character. But if they've got reach, and the boots, would they get the AOO, and then the free attack for double damage?I believe they would get the free attack first (for a creature charging them) and then the AoO for the charging creature trying to leave the threatened square. (Unless you have the aforementioned Hold the Line, in which case you would get an AoO and the free attack when the enemy charges into a square within your reach, and then another AoO when it tries to leave.)

herrhauptmann
2010-11-09, 05:06 PM
Actually, scratch that, I have Steadfast Boots confused with Hold the Line. Hold the Line is an AoO, but Steadfast Boots allows you to be treated as "set of a charge", which is a type of special readied action. So, Steadfast Boots give you an extra standard action per round, essentially, under the condition that you can only use it to set for a charge (even if the weapon doesn't normally allow you to set it for a charge). Still, an extra standard action per round all day is pretty shnazzy for 1400g.

I believe they would get the free attack first (for a creature charging them) and then the AoO for the charging creature trying to leave the threatened square. (Unless you have the aforementioned Hold the Line, in which case you would get an AoO and the free attack when the enemy charges into a square within your reach, and then another AoO when it tries to leave.)

Sweet, and with an average of 72 on that free attack, I probably won't even need the AOO.

Black_Zawisza
2010-11-09, 07:54 PM
At level 8, retrain one of your feats to Sacred Vow (BoED, retraining is in DMG2). Then at level 9 take Vow of Poverty.

VoP is a weak feat - when compared to WBL. When compared to a no magic item campaign, it is exceptionally powerful.

Proceed to not care about not getting money.
I'm trying to find the FULL rules of VoP online, but I can't seem to. Can someone either give me a link or summarize them? What can't you have, and what do you get to make up for it?

blackjack217
2010-11-09, 08:09 PM
this is gonna take a while...
1st AC bonus +4
2nd bonus exalted feat
3rd Ac bonus + 5 endure elements
4th exalted strike +1 (magic), bonus exalted feat
5th sustinance
6th AC bonus + 6 deflection + 1, bonus exalted feat
7th Resistance + 1, ability score enhancement + 2
8th Natural armor + 1, mind-shielding, bonus exalted feat
9th Ac bonus + 7
10th exalted strike good + 2, dr 5/magic, bonus exalted feat
11th ability score enhancement +4/+2
and it goes on and on but if you don't have access to BOED it becomes considerably weaker

Black_Zawisza
2010-11-09, 08:10 PM
this is gonna take a while...
1st AC bonus +4
2nd bonus exalted feat
3rd Ac bonus + 5 endure elements
4th exalted strike +1 (magic), bonus exalted feat
5th sustinance
6th AC bonus + 6 deflection + 1, bonus exalted feat
and it goes on and on but if you don't have access to BOED it becomes considerably weaker
Can you answer the other half of my question? What possessions are a-okay?

blackjack217
2010-11-09, 08:12 PM
no magic items, aren't there psionic items? :smallwink:

Black_Zawisza
2010-11-09, 08:16 PM
no magic items, aren't there psionic items? :smallwink:
Magic items are the only outlawed possessions? So standard-issue items, weapons, and armor are fine?

blackjack217
2010-11-09, 08:23 PM
the actual feat description (not what I was looking at) says only simple weapons (not masterwork) like a quarterstaff, simple cloths (no ingame benefit) a material component pouch, and one days worth of food in a non-magical pouch. You may receive buffs from wands and such and dring potions but you cannot "borrow" equipment even for one round or you lose the bonus forever

Black_Zawisza
2010-11-09, 08:43 PM
the actual feat description (not what I was looking at) says only simple weapons (not masterwork) like a quarterstaff, simple cloths (no ingame benefit) a material component pouch, and one days worth of food in a non-magical pouch. You may receive buffs from wands and such and dring potions but you cannot "borrow" equipment even for one round or you lose the bonus forever
Well, scratch that, then. Vow of Peace sounds like a great feat for my campaign, though.

1. Calm Emotion, in a 20’ radius around you, always on (DC is Charisma-based).
2. +2 Natural Armor bonus to your AC.
3. +2 Deflection bonus to your AC.
4. +2 Exalted bonus to your AC (does not stack with Armor bonuses, but applies to incorporeal attacks).
5. If you are struck by a manufactured weapon, the weapon must make Fortitude save (DC is Constitutionbased)
to avoid shattering and doing no damage.
6. +4 Exalted bonus on Diplomacy checks.

What does Calm Emotion do? Is Vow of Peace as good as it sounds?

true_shinken
2010-11-09, 08:44 PM
What does Calm Emotion do? Is Vow of Peace as good as it sounds?
It does this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/calmEmotions.htm).

Black_Zawisza
2010-11-09, 08:50 PM
It does this (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/calmEmotions.htm).
Does violent self-defense qualify? Violent defense of others?

true_shinken
2010-11-09, 08:53 PM
Does violent self-defense qualify? Violent defense of others?

Once you are attacked, calm emotions ends.

Lev
2010-11-09, 08:59 PM
Utility Belt: Some good ideas, some kind of silly and impractical.
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4400.0

Inventive usage of mundane items is the BEST way to maximize your gold, and they don't give off magical auras that let people both track and detect you easier-- any high-end thief is going to have the ability to detect magic, and he will be scounting the crowd to try and find targets.

What are some really good items to have?
Chains- If you have a wizard or a sorcerer, get 1 chain per casting level (no length requirement, can be short as 3 links or as long as 2 miles) it's best to get something like iron but if you want to save weight get wood or bone or anything cheap. WHY? Look at the Dancing Chains spell in BoVD, no chain length or material requirement, no will save, no SR, you just CONTROL 1 chain x cast level and control for 1 min x cast level, each chain you control can grow up to 15', optionally at any time can sprout razor barbs, caster can climb it at any time with no climb check, and it can carry the caster at it's full length for the spell duration, each chain can attack like a spiked chain and can grapple, they are reach weapons, do not have a base speed so they can essentially "teleport" anywhere you could imagine a ## foot animated chain that can balance perfectly on it's last link could go. as long as it does not exceed 100'+10' per clvl. Oh, did I mention that it can carry the weight of the caster + her heavy load while moving at the caster's climb speed? VERY nice.
Alternatively, with a few locks you can basically secure almost anything, including monsters you've successfully used the chains to pin. Now that's what I call a lockdown!
Adamantine Something- Doesn't matter what it is, all adventuring parties should have the legendary adamantine metal with them unless a stone dragon maneuver user is with you, in which case he's your adamantine.
Small Steel Mirror- Most adventurers should carry these, they allow you to look around corners in dungeons and allow you to signal and even communicate (morse code) to your party in a pretty dependable way without using anything expendable. Remember that spell slots can be used for other means, a good party might want to have helpful spells which normal townsfolk might consider miraculous help and wasting that on your parties convenience might be terribly wasteful.
Jar of Oil and Marbles- Take a normal glass jar, full it with marbles and then fill it with oil, lob or pour it out when needed for a double terrain threat. Oil can also be carefully poured out to make torches, to start fires in wet terrain, to cook with or be lit ablaze-- and trust me you do NOT want to fail your DC15 balance check on marbles when the ground is slathered in flaming oil beneath them.

Black_Zawisza
2010-11-09, 09:01 PM
Once you are attacked, calm emotions ends.
Right! Didn't catch that! :smallbiggrin:

But what if a dirty, naked, malnourished child is being attacked right in front of you? Is the only option to make a hastened Diplomacy check at -10 to try and make him stop? That seems kind of stupid...:smallconfused:

EDIT: Right, you could move next to him if he's right in front of you...but what if he's not close enough for you to do that?

Lev
2010-11-09, 09:06 PM
Right! Didn't catch that! :smallbiggrin:

But what if a dirty, naked, malnourished child is being attacked right in front of you? Is the only option to make a hastened Diplomacy check at -10 to try and make him stop? That seems kind of stupid...:smallconfused:
If you are edward scissorhands, then yes, all you can do is watch.

Thiyr
2010-11-09, 09:20 PM
As an offhand, entirely-away-from-the-books suggestion, if your DM is open to homebrewing such stuff, ask if you can have items which are cursed in some fashion in order to reduce the cost to affordable amounts. stat penalties while worn, charge-based items doing damage when charges are used (obviously not for stuff like healing items, but still), annoying daily/weekly rituals for prolonged usage. Items which exact some cost as part of "powering" the item. Nothing character-crippling, but not something insignificant. Takes some finagling to get the pricing fair, but homebrew can be helpful here.

As for cheap items, my favorite efficient and cheap item is sadly still out of price range...and decidedly unfair (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#dustofSneezingandChoking)

Lev
2010-11-09, 09:59 PM
As for cheap items, my favorite efficient and cheap item is sadly still out of price range...and decidedly unfair (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm#dustofSneezingandChoking)
Wow, that's terrible.

blackjack217
2010-11-09, 10:34 PM
I think it incapacitates you as well but there are plenty of ways around that

Black_Zawisza
2010-11-09, 10:42 PM
I think it incapacitates you as well but there are plenty of ways around that
Like...? Sorry, I haven't been playing very long :smalltongue:

Lev
2010-11-09, 10:44 PM
Like...? Sorry, I haven't been playing very long :smalltongue:
I think he meant the dust fills a 20' radius burst.