PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Consider This: All non-T1s/T2s are proficient with all non-exotic items.

Endarire
2010-11-08, 08:45 PM
These Proficiencies
This system proposes each non-tier 1 or -tier 2 classes starts proficient with all simple and martial weapons, all non-exotic armors, and all non-exotic shields.

Explanation
From a balance standpoint, this seems right. I know it goes against some character concepts- Why is the Bard auto-proficient with a greatsword?- but it's a small step to let non-casters keep up with casters.

Proficiencies aren't that big a deal. They're things you get with your class, and a 1 level dip into Fighter or Crusader already grants these proficiencies.

Signmaker
2010-11-08, 08:46 PM
Uh....go ahead if you feel like it?

Endarire
2010-11-08, 08:56 PM
What mechanical impact do you anticipate?

arguskos
2010-11-08, 08:57 PM
What mechanical impact do you anticipate?
None of relevance. Seriously. All that's going to happen is you'll open up a lot more concepts and people will have more fun. That's a good thing, go for it.

Keld Denar
2010-11-08, 08:59 PM
I'd go a step further and include all exotics. Really, they generally arn't worth the feat you have to pay for them. Who cares if their weapon does an extra 1 damage per swing average, or has an extra nifty feature like reach or tripping or +2 disarm or whatever.

People will use what they want, whether they have to pay a feat or not. Just let em have their toys...

Signmaker
2010-11-08, 09:00 PM
None of relevance. Seriously. All that's going to happen is you'll open up a lot more concepts and people will have more fun. That's a good thing, go for it.

This. Few things break, and those are usually part of standard charop strategy. Congrats, you've provided marginal versatility that isn't likely to bite you in the rear later.

Kamai
2010-11-08, 09:04 PM
I don't think this gets you anywhere. Any of the T3 and T4 classes that don't have full proficiency can do what they do frankly with a dagger or even a spoon. If you really think letting a monk or a rogue wear full plate lifts them out of their tier, then I have a deed to the Golden Gate bridge

Psyren
2010-11-08, 09:12 PM
I'd go a step further and include all exotics. Really, they generally arn't worth the feat you have to pay for them. Who cares if their weapon does an extra 1 damage per swing average, or has an extra nifty feature like reach or tripping or +2 disarm or whatever.

People will use what they want, whether they have to pay a feat or not. Just let em have their toys...

Definitely this. Or at least give it free to all the T4s and below for a weapon of choice. (T3 is fine.)

arguskos
2010-11-08, 09:29 PM

I actually dislike this, but not for balance reasons. Instead, what I do is I give everyone their base class profs, and one extra prof of their choice (exotic or elsewise). This preserves some verisimilitude, lets everyone play with the weapon/armor of their choice without paying the stupid feat tax, and is fun all around. I just don't like every fighter ever being able to be all "SPIKED CHAIN!" or "DWARVEN URGOSH" or whatever.

Still, mechanically, even Keld's fairly extreme option would have few repercussions, save those weapons that are already breakable, and in that case, being forced to spend a feat on them isn't going to solve them being broken anyways.