PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Feral Template FAQ

hisnamehere
2010-11-08, 11:25 PM
While searching for answers to my own questions about the Feral template from Savage Species, I came across many others. So, instead of just asking a question (which I will do) I thought I'd see if there's any interest in making a longer list of Q & A.

So, I'll begin:

Q1: If placing the Feral template on a base creature which has no monstrous HD of its own, does the Feral template still add the Improved Grab special attack to the base creature?

Q2: Does the base creature receive the Pounce, Rake, and Rend special attacks once reaching the corresponding number of HD? or are they only gained upon addition of the template based on the creature's then current HD?

Levithix
2010-11-08, 11:40 PM
Q1, Q2: no and no, if you add the feral template onto a creature with only 1 hd that goes and takes a class, they trade the one racial hd for class hd, therefore, they have no racial hd and don't gain the abilities based on racial hd,

Gan The Grey
2010-11-09, 04:46 AM
Q1, Q2: no and no, if you add the feral template onto a creature with only 1 hd that goes and takes a class, they trade the one racial hd for class hd, therefore, they have no racial hd and don't gain the abilities based on racial hd,

Why? Does it specifically say only racial hit die benefit from the Feral's special abilities, or is this just an assumption. I ask because, I'm sitting here with the MMIV, looking at the Half-Fiend Gnoll Warlock that gets the Half-Fiend's spell-like abilities from its Warlock class levels, not its racial hit die. Anyone else notice this?

Kaww
2010-11-09, 04:56 AM
I'd rule that rend, pounce and rake are not gained as you advance in a class (it states monster HD, not class HD in the entry). As for FH and DV I'd rule that they do advance with class levels, since they advance with any HD...

That's just my copper piece...

The Dark Fiddler
2010-11-09, 05:52 AM
So, instead of just asking a question (which I will do) I thought I'd see if there's any interest in making a longer list of Q & A.

Why yes, in fact, there is (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172043).

Greenish
2010-11-09, 06:38 AM
Why? Does it specifically say only racial hit die benefit from the Feral's special abilitiesYes. The exact term was "monster hit dice", but eh, close enough.

The entry also notes that feral changes your hitdice to d10 (no specification for RHD), and the fast healing/darkvision part only speaks about hit dice.

Kaww
2010-11-09, 06:44 AM
Yes. The exact term was "monster hit dice", but eh, close enough.

The entry also notes that feral changes your hitdice to d10 (no specification for RHD), and the fast healing/darkvision part only speaks about hit dice.

Dude, you were sworsaged, 2 hours ago... It's got to be a record...

Greenish
2010-11-09, 06:51 AM
Dude, you were sworsaged, 2 hours ago... It's got to be a record...It doesn't count if the other fellow has Shadow Blend.

hisnamehere
2010-11-10, 09:03 AM
So, to recap:

When adding the feral template to any creature without racial/monstrous HD, the resulting creature gains neither improved grab, pounce, rake, rend, darkvision, nor fast healing?

Wow, this template might not be broken yet...

P.S. Thanks a lot, guys. :-)

hisnamehere
2010-11-10, 09:06 AM
Oh, and The Dark Fiddler,

I was referring to a Feral template-specific Q & A thread. But thanks! :-)

Kaww
2010-11-10, 09:42 AM
So, to recap:

When adding the feral template to any creature without racial/monstrous HD, the resulting creature gains neither improved grab, pounce, rake, rend, darkvision, nor fast healing?

Wow, this template might not be broken yet...

P.S. Thanks a lot, guys. :-)

This is not what I said. I said I would rule that the character does have fast healing.