PDA

View Full Version : Good PrC Choices for a Half-Vampire Cleric/Prestige Paladin <3.5>

Tokuhara
2010-11-08, 11:29 PM
In a party of all lv3s, using any books endorsed by Wizards, what are good PrCs for a Dhampir Half-Drow vampire hunter?

DM ruled that I gain all of the powers of the half-vampire and an additional +2 Str

SurlySeraph
2010-11-08, 11:32 PM
Well, you can immediately go into the Church Inquisitor PrC from Complete Divine, which gives you immunity to charms at 2nd level and compulsions at 5th. Useful for not being mind-controlled. Radiant Servant of Pelor is a good default class for undead-slaying. If you want to capitalize on Half-Vamp's stealth bonuses, you could go into Shadowbane Stalker, a Cleric/Rogue hybrid PrC.

Tokuhara
2010-11-09, 09:12 AM
Well, you can immediately go into the Church Inquisitor PrC from Complete Divine, which gives you immunity to charms at 2nd level and compulsions at 5th. Useful for not being mind-controlled. Radiant Servant of Pelor is a good default class for undead-slaying. If you want to capitalize on Half-Vamp's stealth bonuses, you could go into Shadowbane Stalker, a Cleric/Rogue hybrid PrC.

So Cleric 5/Prestige Paladin 2/Church Inquisitor 5/Shadowbane Stalker 8 is a good Half-Vamp Vampire Hunter?

And should I pick up the Vampire Hunter feat from LM?

Plus the DM hinted I'd get the awesome artifact the Sword of Kas, since the DM ruled the weapon was redeemed by Kas's sacrifice in attempting to kill Vecna.

Tokuhara
2010-11-09, 12:23 PM
BUMP

Only because I want more input

SurlySeraph
2010-11-10, 03:47 PM
5 levels in Church Inquisitor make you immune to domination, and you can enter Church Inquisitor right after 3rd level. So if you don't expect to fight vampires before 8th level, Vampire Hunter won't be necessary. Its vampire-finding function could certainly be useful, though casting (Persistent) Detect Undead might be better at higher levels.

Note that Shadowbane Stalker requires +1d6 sneak attack to enter. There are ways to get that without having to take a level in a non-caster class, such as taking the feats Martial Study and Martial Stance (Assassin's Stance) from Tome of Battle, which becomes available at 9th level.

So, Cleric 3/ Church Inquisitor 5-6/ Prestige Paladin 2-3/ Shadowbane Stalker 8 would be a pretty good distribution. You could spend the remaining levels in plenty of ways - more Church Inquisitor, a level in Contemplative, two levels in Divine Oracle, etc.

For feats, a good breakdown might be:
1 One feat plus feats you get from your domain choices. Try to get the Planning domain to get Extend Spell and then use your feat for Persistent Spell.
3 Divine Metamagic (Persistent Spell)
6 Martial Study (any first or second-level Shadow Hand maneuver; I'd go with either Cloak of Deception [as a swift action, become invisible as Greater Invisibility for one round, 1/encounter] or Shadow Jaunt [teleport 50 feet as a standard action; most useful out-of-combat])
9 Martial Stance (Assassin's Stance)
12 Mounted Combat
15 Extra Turning
18 Whatever.

Switch Divine Metamagic and Mounted Combat if you want to enter Prestige Paladin earlier. You can delay the Martial Study and Martial Stance until later in the build if you don't mind waiting until 12th level or later to enter Shadowbane Stalker.

Wabbajack
2010-11-10, 04:17 PM
If you want to be cheesy you could take the feat Sword of the Arcane Order from Champions of Valor. It allows you to prepare wizard/sorcerer spells in your paladin spell-slots, i.e. your cleric spell-slots because of prestige paladin. It requires you to be 4th level paladin of Mystra, 13 INT and to be member of one of the listed orders.

Or even better: Battle Blessing from Complete divine. It automatically reduces the casting time of your paladin spells (again, all your spells) akin to quicken for free.