PDA

View Full Version : Returning weapons?

drakir_nosslin
2010-11-09, 10:11 AM
I'm in the middle of building a character along the concept of a master hunter. However, since I've decided that the spear is the weapon of choice for this particular character I have a bit of a problem and so I turn to the playground for help!

Returning weapons do exactly that at the end of the wielders turn. So even if I have several attacks I can only use one of them, because I don't have a weapon to throw :smallmad:
So, what I'm looking for is some kind of Greater Returning enhancement or something similar, allowing my huntress to throw her spear several times in a round... Does anything like that exist, either as a PrC ability or as an weapon enhancement, power, spell etc?
The reason I don't simply buy more spears is simply that I don't want to. If possible, this character will be using one spear, and that's going to be the awesomest spear ever!

Person_Man
2010-11-09, 10:17 AM
Bloodstorm Blade 4 (IIRC). Tome of Battle. Not only do your thrown weapons return to you after each attack, but they also count as melee attacks, allowing you to use Power Attack et al.

drakir_nosslin
2010-11-09, 10:27 AM
Bloodstorm Blade 4 (IIRC). Tome of Battle. Not only do your thrown weapons return to you after each attack, but they also count as melee attacks, allowing you to use Power Attack et al.

Nice, thanks! I really need to read up on the PrC:s in the ToB...
Anyway, I'm looking at the Bloodstorm Blade right now, and there's one thing that I don't really understand. When using the Lightning Ricochet ability do you expend a strike for each attack, or one for the entire full attack? If it's the former, the character is going to burn through strikes very fast.

Last Laugh
2010-11-09, 10:54 AM
as far as I can tell Lightening Richochet is a constant effect.
Blood Wind Richochet uses up one iron heart move for a full attack.

When using this ability, you
make a full attack with a thrown
weapon, but each ranged attack must be resolved
against a separate target. You can choose the
order in which you attack your foes. Range and cover penalties
are resolved for each attack after the fi rst as though that
attack originated from the space of the creature you last
attacked. If a creature has total cover relative to you, you
cannot attack it.
When you use blood wind ricochet, you lose the use
of one Iron Heart strike you have readied for the current
encounter, just as if you had initiated the strike

Person_Man
2010-11-09, 11:16 AM
Nice, thanks! I really need to read up on the PrC:s in the ToB...
Anyway, I'm looking at the Bloodstorm Blade right now, and there's one thing that I don't really understand. When using the Lightning Ricochet ability do you expend a strike for each attack, or one for the entire full attack? If it's the former, the character is going to burn through strikes very fast.

Lightning Ricochet is "always on" and does not require you to expend a Strike to use it. Any time you make a thrown weapon attack, your weapon immediately and automatically returns to you and you can catch it as a free action.

drakir_nosslin
2010-11-09, 11:36 AM
as far as I can tell Lightening Richochet is a constant effect.
Blood Wind Richochet uses up one iron heart move for a full attack.

Lightning Ricochet is "always on" and does not require you to expend a Strike to use it. Any time you make a thrown weapon attack, your weapon immediately and automatically returns to you and you can catch it as a free action.

I see, I thought it was an upgrade of the Returning Attacks ability (though I don't know why I'd think that, really :smallconfused:)
Anyway, thanks for the help, both of you!
*Moves off to tinker a bit more with the new character*

Lev
2010-11-09, 11:39 AM
http://www.goblinscomic.com/
Depends if the spear splits or not.

The cleric does gain a magic spear of splitting/returning.

Escheton
2010-11-09, 12:04 PM
Spears are nice and full of flavor. I approve.
However...http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150917

Marnath
2010-11-09, 12:06 PM
http://www.goblinscomic.com/
Depends if the spear splits or not.

The cleric does gain a magic spear of splitting/returning.

Yeah, but the author there has stated that it does take the normal round for it to come back.

Andion Isurand
2010-11-10, 08:23 PM
The Telekinetic Boomerang power from Races of the Wild lets an affected weapon return after each interative attack, so if you were using an orc shotput, you could essentially dribble it against your enemy.

Urpriest
2010-11-10, 09:43 PM
A related question: Bloodstorm Blade's 5th level ability: am I wrong in thinking it's redundant with its level 4 ability? If you have Lightning Ricochet you can make a full attack with a thrown weapon. The 5th level ability lets you spend a strike to full attack with a thrown weapon with the restriction that the targets must be different, and the potential benefit that you can treat the first target as the point of origin for the attack on the second target. Am I correct in thinking that besides avoiding cover this is strictly worse than just full attacking with Lightning Ricochet?

The Dark Fiddler
2010-11-10, 09:58 PM
Am I correct in thinking that besides avoiding cover this is strictly worse than just full attacking with Lightning Ricochet?

I always thought that was the point, personally. That, and making longer distance attacks easier, cause thrown weapons really don't have good range increments.

gdiddy
2010-11-11, 12:49 AM
Yes, but now you can attack around corners and cover.

Zieu
2010-11-11, 09:29 AM
A cheap-y fix: buy several spears and fit each of them with a Returning Crystal (300gp, I think?).

Of course, then you have those same several spears flying right back at you and you'd have to catch them all....

FelixG
2010-11-11, 09:37 AM
A cheap-y fix: buy several spears and fit each of them with a Returning Crystal (300gp, I think?).

Of course, then you have those same several spears flying right back at you and you'd have to catch them all....

"Huh...wish I had thought this out better..." /dies

lol

Zieu
2010-11-11, 09:41 AM
"Huh...wish I had thought this out better..." /dies

lol

"Reflex save to avoid looking really stupid."
"Does a 30 make it?"
"No, because what you did was really, really stupid."

WinceRind
2010-11-11, 10:15 AM
This might be going slightly off-topic, but hey, it's still concerned with returning thrown weapons...

Imagine that you're using a harpoon. If I'm not mistaken, it deals 1d10 damage and gets stuck in the wound (upon failed reflex save? Or something?). When it's stuck, you can control the target's movement to an extent with the trailing rope. The victim can use a full-round action to pull out the harpoon, but that deals damage equivalent to the original hit damage.

See what I'm getting at? Harpoons that always deal double damage because they magically pull themselves out of the wound and return to you. Of course, it kind of interferes with the purpose of the harpoon...

Escheton
2010-11-11, 10:37 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150917&highlight=Tricking+harpoons

For further inspiration regarding harpoons.

awa
2010-11-11, 12:24 PM
their is a magic glove in magic item compendium (gloves of the manticore?) that gives you you infinite +1 javelins

Urpriest
2010-11-11, 03:49 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150917&highlight=Tricking+harpoons

For further inspiration regarding harpoons.

You already posted this link in this thread.