PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Giving cold immunity to a red dragon?

Quietus
2010-11-09, 11:15 AM
I'm looking for a way to take an Ancient+ red dragon, and add the cold subtype or generic cold immunity to it - the schtick is a dragon that lives among the icy peaks of a mountain range known to contain dormant volcanoes, and I plan to be very mean with some of the feats I'm going to give it - but I'd like to see it have Cold Immunity as well. Going to burn two feats to get Brood Keeper's Heart and Open Heart Chakra (yes, inspired by another thread), so I can give it the Swarm subtype, and the mental image of a dragon that, when threatened, can explode into a flurry of snowflakes and ash is just awesome in my head - but I'd like to justify the snowflakes part by giving it a more or less permanent tie to the frozen mountains it calls home. Any suggestions?

Douglas
2010-11-09, 11:26 AM
Well, the easy way would be to just put Energy Immunity on its spells known list. That might not fit the flavor you want very well, though; while it lasts long enough to easily maintain it at all times, it's not sufficiently permanent/inherent to reasonably tie to the snowflakes thing.

Psyren
2010-11-09, 11:27 AM
Well, you could just have it burst into volcanic ash...

Saph
2010-11-09, 11:28 AM
I'm sure there's a template out there that gives cold immunity - can't think of it off the top of my head, though.

hamishspence
2010-11-09, 11:29 AM
There's quite a few templates out there that might qualify. And could even give it the Cold Subtype- making it immune to metamagic that normally allows you to get past Cold Immunity.

Half-White dragon (template can be added to "any corporeal creature") is the first to spring to mind.

Frostburn has a metamagic feat that allows your cold spells to beat Cold Immunity- but they can't get past the Cold Subtype.

Sandstorm has a similar feat for fire, but as I recall, it's better, since it doesn't have a "fire subtype creatures are still immune" clause.

I think there's a spell that can temporarily grant you the Cold Subtype (in PHB2?)

Quietus
2010-11-09, 11:29 AM
Well, you could just have it burst into volcanic ash...

That's my fallback, along with having Energy Immunity among its spells known. But that's.. well, it's too easy, and no fun. :smalltongue:

I'd like to give it a *reason* why, instead of taking the active volcanic lair that its child currently inhabits, it's living among the snow-capped peaks of dead volcanoes. If there's something that gives it a flavor of "Lived here so long it's become native to it", great. Otherwise, I can take anything that provides cold immunity/cold subtype and refluff it. I will, however, go ahead and say that half-white or half-silver dragon simply won't work.

hamishspence
2010-11-09, 11:31 AM
OK- what about the Cold Element Creature template in Manual of the Planes?

I'm not sure if it grants the Cold Subtype though.

Dragon Magazine also has Para-Elemental templates (one of which is Ice) that turn the creature into an elemental.

Psyren
2010-11-09, 11:32 AM
I will, however, go ahead and say that half-white or half-silver dragon simply won't work.

Why not? I think a pink dragon would be adorable. :smalltongue:

Lapak
2010-11-09, 11:33 AM
Give it a Ring of Elemental Immunity: Cold? As Epic magic items go, that one's pretty reasonable. He's an Epic CR foe if he's an Ancient Red, so that falls into line. He could have forged it himself as part of his character background - this is a Red Dragon who has invested in Incarnum and lives in a frozen wasteland, clearly he's directing his energies towards some overall goal, and the ring could fit into that.

Douglas
2010-11-09, 11:36 AM
There's the Mantle of the Icy Soul spell in Frostburn that permanently gives the target the Cold subtype. Instantaneous duration so it's not dispellable, too. I think it's 8th level, though, so it might not be within the dragon's personal resources to cast. Oh well, getting it on a scroll would be a lot less wasteful for a creature with Sorcerer casting anyway, unless he's building an army of cold subtype minions.

You'd also have to ignore the Spell Compendium update that reduced the spell's level, made it temporary, and (I think) added a specific clause about the fire subtype (if the target has it, the spell removes it instead of adding the cold subtype). The Frostburn version has no problem with producing a creature that has both the fire and cold subtypes.

Coidzor
2010-11-09, 11:45 AM
Two-headed cryo (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20020621a)-Red Dragon? Only one head is the cryo and the other is the normal?

akma
2010-11-09, 11:46 AM
Ask this guy to make a new dragon for you: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=169209

Quietus
2010-11-09, 11:48 AM
Why not? I think a pink dragon would be adorable. :smalltongue:

Between the idea of a pink dragon and a half-dragon True Dragon, I'd have to shoot something.

Give it a Ring of Elemental Immunity: Cold? As Epic magic items go, that one's pretty reasonable. He's an Epic CR foe if he's an Ancient Red, so that falls into line. He could have forged it himself as part of his character background - this is a Red Dragon who has invested in Incarnum and lives in a frozen wasteland, clearly he's directing his energies towards some overall goal, and the ring could fit into that.

There's the Mantle of the Icy Soul spell in Frostburn that permanently gives the target the Cold subtype. Instantaneous duration so it's not dispellable, too. I think it's 8th level, though, so it might not be within the dragon's personal resources to cast. Oh well, getting it on a scroll would be a lot less wasteful for a creature with Sorcerer casting anyway, unless he's building an army of cold subtype minions.

You'd also have to ignore the Spell Compendium update that reduced the spell's level, made it temporary, and (I think) added a specific clause about the fire subtype (if the target has it, the spell removes it instead of adding the cold subtype). The Frostburn version has no problem with producing a creature that has both the fire and cold subtypes.

These two are the ones I'm most likely to lean toward. fairly simple, none of the silliness of pink half-dragon red dragons or turning him into an elemental. Wish I could get a copy of Frostburn, though, so I could take a closer look at that Mantle of the Icy Soul spell. Also, the spell that gives a creature the cold subtype in PHB2 is 1round/level, so not really the permanent effect I'm looking for. Thanks, though!

Two-headed cryo (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20020621a)-Red Dragon? Only one head is the cryo and the other is the normal?

Neat idea, but not for this dragon.. at least, not in the setting I'm in. If he was a follower of Tiamat, then perhaps. But in this setting, Tiamat and Bahamut haven't made it to godhood yet, and the red in question is a co-conspirator/concubine/follower of the (currently deposed) "Queen of Dragons". Perhaps if I use a pre-deific Tiamat, I'll do something like that..

Beelzebub1111
2010-11-09, 11:52 AM
Make it a skeleton?

Coidzor
2010-11-09, 11:54 AM
^: Well, mutants don't necessarily have to follow Tiamat, now do they?

Wait, aren't there rituals to gain subtypes in Savage Species? :smallconfused:

mostlyharmful
2010-11-09, 12:03 PM
You could make it a vampire dragon, resistance 20 isn't immunity but it's enough to be going on with, that'd fit the whole *poof* I'm a cloud of ice crystals thing too.

Telonius
2010-11-09, 12:07 PM
Would it be possible to make it a Dracolich? They get immunity to cold.

Quietus
2010-11-09, 12:09 PM
^: Well, mutants don't necessarily have to follow Tiamat, now do they?

Wait, aren't there rituals to gain subtypes in Savage Species? :smallconfused:

Indeed there are, thank you! It's actually ridiculously cheap, as well.. 36k roughly, and like 1400 experience. He could force any 9th-level or higher Cleric with the Cold domain to do it..I'm seeing an opportunity for a fun plot event happening here, involving said Cleric being willing to perform the ritual, in exchange for some heavy artillery support... :smallamused:

I actually got a bit worried at first, the alignment subtype ritual specifically says that you lose a previous, or opposed, subtype.. but the energy subtype ritual has no such clause. So for a comparatively piddling cost, I can now have a Red Dragon with [Fire, Cold] subtypes.. you, sir, get an internets!

Fouredged Sword
2010-11-09, 12:17 PM
There is a feat that grants the cold domain spells to an arcane caster. Give big red the feat and have him do it to himself. He also gets some cold spells added to his spell known outside his class progression.

Coidzor
2010-11-09, 12:24 PM
Indeed there are, thank you! It's actually ridiculously cheap, as well.. 36k roughly, and like 1400 experience. He could force any 9th-level or higher Cleric with the Cold domain to do it..I'm seeing an opportunity for a fun plot event happening here, involving said Cleric being willing to perform the ritual, in exchange for some heavy artillery support... :smallamused:

I actually got a bit worried at first, the alignment subtype ritual specifically says that you lose a previous, or opposed, subtype.. but the energy subtype ritual has no such clause. So for a comparatively piddling cost, I can now have a Red Dragon with [Fire, Cold] subtypes.. you, sir, get an internets!

Yay! :smallbiggrin: *clutches at it* my preciouss.....

Speaking of which, I should go check through that book myself, if that's the case...

blackjack217
2010-11-09, 12:26 PM
Albino red dragon ftw!! (it does not give you cold immunity but it makes them think it has it)

Tavar
2010-11-09, 12:27 PM
From the Draconomicon, the Hidecarved Dragon Prc might do it. Plus giving you several other immunities/resistances.

Quietus
2010-11-09, 12:29 PM
There is a feat that grants the cold domain spells to an arcane caster. Give big red the feat and have him do it to himself. He also gets some cold spells added to his spell known outside his class progression.

Unfortunately, you can't perform these rituals on yourself.. plus, I DO like having SOME way that this dragon (Pyralis) can interact with the world. Hell, even just one pass of an energy-admixtured fire/cold breath weapon doing 24d10 fire damage + 24d10 cold damage, with a DC of 40+, could be valuable enough for a caster capable of performing that ritual to go "Yes, I'll perform the ritual for you". And that one blast of breath weapon won't really cost Pyralis anything, either.. and now he's immune to cold AND fire!

Yay! :smallbiggrin: *clutches at it* my preciouss.....

Speaking of which, I should go check through that book myself, if that's the case...

Hah, yeah- the rituals in there are pretty neat. You can snag many different subtypes; Any Alignment or Energy, most non-PC-race "humanoid (variant)" ones, aquatic, or even incorporeal. And that's just with the MINOR rituals.

ericgrau
2010-11-09, 12:44 PM
Technically by RAW monsters with cold immunity are vulnerable to fire and vis versa. So if you give a red dragon cold immunity, does the game divide by zero? Practically I don't think this was meant to be a hard and fast rule and cold immunity doesn't cause fire vulnerability unless the template says so.

Tokuhara
2010-11-09, 12:50 PM
Technically by RAW monsters with cold immunity are vulnerable to fire and vis versa. So if you give a red dragon cold immunity, does the game divide by zero? Practically I don't think this was meant to be a hard and fast rule and the immunity doesn't cause fire invulnerability unless it says so.

No. Fire immunity causes +50% Cold, which is 0 due to the Cold Immunity, which makes Fire +50%, which is 0. I say this, because I played a Barbarian who took Blazing and Frozen Berserker feats, giving him the Cold and Fire Subtypes while Raging.

DaragosKitsune
2010-11-09, 12:52 PM
I would assume that the vulnerabilities would be negated by the immunities.

Edit: Ninja'd

Starbuck_II
2010-11-09, 12:53 PM
Give it a level in Barbarian + Freezing Rage (from Frostburn book). You gain cold immunity while raging (don't lose fire immunity if had it).

true_shinken
2010-11-09, 12:56 PM
Also note this is now a red dragon immune to Shivering Touch :smallbiggrin:

Kylarra
2010-11-09, 01:02 PM
From the Draconomicon, the Hidecarved Dragon Prc might do it. Plus giving you several other immunities/resistances.Hidecarved dragon, unfortunately, specifically disallows you from gaining immunity in the opposing types.

hamishspence
2010-11-09, 01:30 PM
No. Fire immunity causes +50% Cold, which is 0 due to the Cold Immunity, which makes Fire +50%, which is 0.

Subtypes, not immunities.

And if you have feats that punch through immunities, vulnerabilities come into play.

Against a Cold Subtype creature with Fire Immunity, the metamagic feat Searing Spell allows you to do extra damage.

The immunity means the spell does half damage (feat allows you to beat immunity).

The Cold Subtype, means the spell does double damage (not +50% as would normally happen with a fire spell)- since Searing Spell does more damage to Cold Subtype creatures than an ordinary fire spell would.

So- both the halving, and doubling, would apply.

ericgrau
2010-11-09, 01:46 PM
In case you missed the white text I was being silly. IIRC multiple monsters contradict the "cold immunity => fire vulnerability" rule. I think it's more of a guideline of what's typical.

hamishspence
2010-11-09, 01:51 PM
Yup- Devils in particular have Fire Immunity without the Fire Subtype.

The really weird one is that Ice Devils are not cold-immune- they only have cold-resistance 10.

Which isn't really enough to protect them from their own home layer of Caina.

Quietus
2010-11-09, 01:56 PM
Also note this is now a red dragon immune to Shivering Touch :smallbiggrin:

... I hadn't even thought of that, because I've never had a player try to use Shivering Touch in my games. Now I can safely allow them to do so, and then full attack them when it fails to do anything to Pyralis!

And yes, the way the dual subtypes work is that while Pyralis is now subject to a 50% increase in damage from both fire and cold sources, he's also immune to both. So 50% increase on zero is zero. From what I'm seeing, it'd mean he'd take full damage from Searing Spells, but all things considered, if I'm running a game and a group of players put in the time and effort to find out exactly what he's done to himself, taking down a Red dragon with Searing spells.. would be a lot of fun.

Coidzor
2010-11-09, 02:03 PM
Subtypes, not immunities.

And if you have feats that punch through immunities, vulnerabilities come into play.

Against a Cold Subtype creature with Fire Immunity, the metamagic feat Searing Spell allows you to do extra damage.

The immunity means the spell does half damage (feat allows you to beat immunity).

The Cold Subtype, means the spell does double damage (not +50% as would normally happen with a fire spell)- since Searing Spell does more damage to Cold Subtype creatures than an ordinary fire spell would.

So... Searing Spell would end up doing its normal damage as it is doubling half damage?

Dr.Epic
2010-11-09, 02:05 PM
Can half-dragon template be applied to a dragon? (What if two dragons of different types mate?) If it can, apply that to a red dragon and select a dragon with cold immunity (I'm not sure if there are any dragons with that, but I'd imagine there would be).

Tokuhara
2010-11-09, 02:09 PM
Can half-dragon template be applied to a dragon? (What if two dragons of different types mate?) If it can, apply that to a red dragon and select a dragon with cold immunity (I'm not sure if there are any dragons with that, but I'd imagine there would be).

White or Silver have Cold Immunities.

The image of a Half-Silver Red Dragon is seriously awesome. I mean, the biggest and baddest Chromatic with the second strongest Metallic.

Maybe even flip-flop it and make him a Half-Red Silver Dragon

hamishspence
2010-11-09, 02:24 PM
So... Searing Spell would end up doing its normal damage as it is doubling half damage?

I figure that's how it would work, yes.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-11-09, 02:26 PM
In case you missed the white text I was being silly. IIRC multiple monsters contradict the "cold immunity => fire vulnerability" rule. I think it's more of a guideline of what's typical.
As hamish said before, vulnerability is not a matter of having immunity; it’s a matter of having the subtype. It’s not a contradiction if you simply have a creature with cold immunity without having the cold subtype.

Off the top of my head can’t think of any creature that has the cold or fire subtype that doesn’t have the corresponding vulnerability. And if it didn’t have the vulnerability, the description would have to explicitly say so.

Any way, as to the main topic: Quietus, if you’re the DM, is there any reason you can’t just use a homebrew “Cold Creature” template whose only effect is to give the subject the Cold subtype? Might be worth a +1 CR in this case, since it pretty effectively seals one of the creature’s standard vulnerabilities.

hamishspence
2010-11-09, 02:29 PM
Off the top of my head can’t think of any creature that has the cold or fire subtype that doesn’t have the corresponding vulnerability. And if it didn’t have the vulnerability, the description would have to explicitly say so.

Yup- the SRD:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes.htm#coldSubtype

explicitly calls the subtypes out, as having the appropriate vulnerabilities.

Swooper
2010-11-09, 02:36 PM
Can half-dragon template be applied to a dragon?
Yeah, I remember a WotC article which had a few statted out even. Half-dragon is notorious for being applicable to practically anything (any corporeal creature), up to (or should I say "down to"?) and including oozes. I've fought a half-red dragon black pudding in a rather silly oneshot, even! :smallbiggrin:

However, the OP has already stated that he doesn't want a pink dragon (:smallfrown:) and has found a better way of doing this anyway...

Quietus
2010-11-09, 02:54 PM
Any way, as to the main topic: Quietus, if you’re the DM, is there any reason you can’t just use a homebrew “Cold Creature” template whose only effect is to give the subject the Cold subtype? Might be worth a +1 CR in this case, since it pretty effectively seals one of the creature’s standard vulnerabilities.

Nah, no reason. I'm totally willing to break the rules, if I need to, but when I don't have to I prefer to stay within RAW, so when my players go "Hey, no fair! Why is this red dragon immune to cold!", I can go "It went through a ritual in book XYZ, which you can go through as well if you would like, if you can find someone willing to do it.", rather than going "Because I said so".

Sipex
2010-11-09, 02:56 PM
In 4th edition when you cross a situation like this you just give the dragon cold immunity if it fits.

If your players complain you explain "This is a special case, the dragon has lived here an incredibly long time and gained a natural immunity to cold." no special templates needed or anything.

hamishspence
2010-11-09, 02:57 PM
I checked and while there's a ritual for Alignment subtypes, I don't see one for element subtypes.

Still, the Wish ritual (which can change the creature's race) would fit. Giving something an element subtype seems like it would be within the bounds of Wish.

Or the un-updated version of Mantle of the Icy Soul could be used.

In 4th edition when you cross a situation like this you just give the dragon cold immunity if it fits.

If your players complain you explain "This is a special case, the dragon has lived here an incredibly long time and gained a natural immunity to cold." no special templates needed or anything.

Given that even Ancient Red Dragons only have fire resistance in 4E though- might be a bit much.

There are those templates in 4E DMG though. Combined with the Elite downgrade in Draconomicon II, (drops a dragon from Solo to Elite) you can create plenty of variants on the standard 4E dragon.

Here, it would probably be Frost Adept- gives the dragon an Icy Body ability, and allows it to convert any of it's attack powers, to do cold damage.

Quietus
2010-11-09, 03:05 PM
I checked and while there's a ritual for Alignment subtypes, I don't see one for element subtypes.

Still, the Wish ritual (which can change the creature's race) would fit. Giving something an element subtype seems like it would be within the bounds of Wish.

Or the un-updated version of Mantle of the Icy Soul could be used.

Ritual of the Elements, page 148. Lower right side of the page, the creepy beholder's staring at it. Right above the Ritual of Gills.

hamishspence
2010-11-09, 03:09 PM
Oops. Must have not been looking closely.

So- that ritual could do as well.

ericgrau
2010-11-09, 03:41 PM
As hamish said before, vulnerability is not a matter of having immunity; it’s a matter of having the subtype. It’s not a contradiction if you simply have a creature with cold immunity without having the cold subtype.
See special abilities: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#coldImmunity

hamishspence
2010-11-09, 03:49 PM
Cold Immunity and Fire Immunity text are copied from the DMG.

However, the MM overrides the DMG with respect to monsters.

And the MM makes it clear, that only creatures with subtypes, automatically get vulnerability to the opposing energy (cold, and fire)- and energy vulnerability is always in their statblocks (Special Qualities).

Devils are explicitly Fire Immune- and do not have Cold Vulnerability in their Special Qualities.

Conclusion- cold immunity does not automatically come with Fire Vulnerability, if the creature doesn't have the Cold Subtype as well.

Same reasoning might apply to, say, skeletons- Cold Immune, but not Fire Vulnerable.

Marnath
2010-11-09, 03:51 PM
Why are we still talking about this? :smallconfused:

Didn't we reach the conclusion that the dragon in question will end up immune to both a while ago?

hamishspence
2010-11-09, 03:54 PM
We did-

the question was, if it gains Cold Immunity without gaining the Cold Subtype, will that bit of text in the DMG, automatically mean it gains Fire Vulnerability as well (for the purpose of things like Searing Spell)?

Come to think of it, if a character buys that epic ring that grants Immunity to cold, would that DMG text demand that the character gains Vulnerability to Fire?

I'm inclined to say that the DMG text was overridden by the MM, which talked about Cold and Fire Subtypes, not Cold Immune special quality and Fire Immune special quality.

Marnath
2010-11-09, 03:59 PM
We did-

the question was, if it gains Cold Immunity without gaining the Cold Subtype, will that bit of text in the DMG, automatically mean it gains Fire Vulnerability as well (for the purpose of things like Searing Spell)?

Well that's simple then: No.

Gosh, that was easy. :smalltongue:

Tavar
2010-11-09, 03:59 PM
Hidecarved dragon, unfortunately, specifically disallows you from gaining immunity in the opposing types.

My reading is it only prevents you from taking immunity in elements to which you are vulnerable. The feats....I think it's Suppress and Overcome weakness(pages 74 and 72 in the draconomicon, respectively) remove one's vulnerability. You gain them in the class itself, but to late to get immunity.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-11-09, 05:39 PM
Nah, no reason. I'm totally willing to break the rules, if I need to, but when I don't have to I prefer to stay within RAW, so when my players go "Hey, no fair! Why is this red dragon immune to cold!", I can go "It went through a ritual in book XYZ, which you can go through as well if you would like, if you can find someone willing to do it.", rather than going "Because I said so".
You can also come up with a special ritual to grant your homebrew template. You wind up saying the same thing, only you don’t have to give out page numbers. Can keep it in character, too. Especially since the players finding out about the ritual should, at the very least, require a Knowledge (arcana) or similar check anyway.

See special abilities: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#coldImmunity
Hm. Wow. Didn’t even realize Cold and Fire Immunity were, of all damage types, singled out for their own entries.

Cold Immunity and Fire Immunity text are copied from the DMG.

However, the MM overrides the DMG with respect to monsters.
Primary Source rules only matter in the case of contradictions. Unless the MM says, “Immunity in no way implies vulnerability to anything else,” there is no contradiction.

As it is, the MM doesn’t even have a block on any Energy Immunity in its basic ability list, so that pretty much makes the DMG the primary source by default in this case.

Devils are explicitly Fire Immune- and do not have Cold Vulnerability in their Special Qualities.
If Cold Vulnerability automatically comes with Fire Immunity, then the vulnerability does not need to be listed, as it is assumed to be part of the package unless explicitly stated otherwise.

Marnath
2010-11-09, 06:04 PM
If you open the MM and the DMG to the special qualities sections and lay them together, it becomes clear that ever other entry is identical, except in one the fire and cold entries are called immunity, and in the other are called subtype. Therefore, the version on the SRD can be said to refer specifically to subtypes.

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-11-09, 06:18 PM
If you open the MM and the DMG to the special qualities sections and lay them together, it becomes clear that ever other entry is identical, except in one the fire and cold entries are called immunity, and in the other are called subtype. Therefore, the version on the SRD can be said to refer specifically to subtypes.
Good point. Given the near-identical wording between even the two entry descriptions, I’d say the Immunity entries in the DMG may be part of the never-got-errata copypasta from previous revisions.

Although my previous post still applies with regards to RAW, I don’t think it matches RAI. I’d disregard the DMG entries for that reason.

Keld Denar
2010-11-09, 06:59 PM

If you follow the FAQ, its stated there that a creature always applies effects in the order that is most benefical to itself, and it can probably be assumed that they apply one at a time. So a creature who has both the [Fire] and [Cold] subtypes who was hit by a Searing spell would be affected thusly:

Searing deals half damage (50%), then vulnerability would increase that by 50% (75%). So yea, the correct answer is 75% damage for a Searing spell vs a creature with BOTH [Fire] and [Cold] subtypes.

If your Searing Fireball did 40 damage, it would deal 20 damage after being reduced by half as a Searing spell vs a fire immune foe. Then vulnerability would kick in, increasing damage by 50%. 20 x 1.5 = 30 damage total. 30 = 40 x 75%.

Even if you did it the other way around, it would still work due to distributive properties of multiplication. The same Searing Fireball would hit, the damage would be increased by 50% due to vulnerability (40 damage becomes 60 damage), which would then be halved due to being a Searing spell hitting a fire immune foe (60/2 = 30). Same result as before.

hamishspence
2010-11-10, 03:45 AM
except- Searing Spell has a special rule.

Unlike normal fire spells, which do +50% damage to a creature with Cold Vulnerability/Cold Subtype, Searing Spells do double damage to creatures with Cold Vulnerability/Cold Subtype.

Which I mentioned in the original post: