PDA

View Full Version : Reach, stacking reach and larger weapons?

Deadtissue
2010-11-09, 12:15 PM
I recently joined a campaign and one of the players is using Reach as a focal point to his character. The build is a Psychic Warrior Half-Ogre with a Large pole axe, expansion power (say one level), what would his reach be?

Second question: If you make a weapon large do you increase its reach? I have not found any rules that suggest this.

Lastly how do feats and racial abilities that provide reach stack? This is just confusing and I am assuming there is errata or sage advice on this? I have not found any though.

Please help clarify reach so I can understand how the main tank can stand 30 feet behind me and attack in melee!

Greenish
2010-11-09, 12:22 PM
3.5? Poleaxe?

1. Well, assuming he's Huge (Large + Expansion) and uses a reach weapon, his reach would be 30 feet. Huge (tall) has 15' natural reach, and a reach weapon doubles that. He can't use the reach weapon on anything within 15' (unless it's a spiked chain or the like).

2. Reach is a weapon quality that doubles your reach. You do not gain reach from weapons too small for you, and you gain no extra reach from larger weapons. Rules Compendium, pg. 151.

3. I have hard time trying to remember racial abilities that grant reach, but most feats increase it by set amount (usually +5'). Using a reach weapon, if possible, will use the increased reach.

Deadtissue
2010-11-09, 12:50 PM
So if you were large you would double the 5' that the feat gave you like a weapon of just tack it on to the total of size plus reach doubling from the weapon?

Thanks Greenish! :smallsmile:

Greenish
2010-11-09, 12:57 PM
So if you were large you would double the 5' that the feat gave you like a weapon of just tack it on to the total of size plus reach doubling from the weapon?Depending on the feat, yeah. Inhuman Reach would work, but I seem to recall that Deformity (Tall) just plays around with size.

Person_Man
2010-11-09, 01:16 PM
Depending on the feat, yeah. Inhuman Reach would work, but I seem to recall that Deformity (Tall) just plays around with size.

Inhuman Reach and Deformity Tall each add +5 ft of reach. The fluff text on Deformity Tall talks about how you're unnaturally tall, but you explicitly stay the same size.

Greenish
2010-11-09, 01:34 PM
The fluff text on Deformity Tall talks about how you're unnaturally tall, but you explicitly stay the same size.Ah, right, what I was thinking was that Deformity (Tall) requires you to be medium-sized.

Keld Denar
2010-11-09, 04:13 PM
Inhuman Reach specifically states that it doesn't stack with other things that increase your reach, IIRC. So if you were large, it would at +5'. If you were HUGE, it would still just be +5 reach. If you were colossal and had a colossal spiked chain, it would still only add +5 reach.

Also, while a weapon sized too large for you won't give you reach, a weapon sized too small will make you lose its reach properties. The rules for a reach weapon indicate that a weapon has to at least be sized for you to take advantage of the reach property.

Person_Man
2010-11-09, 04:54 PM
Inhuman Reach specifically states that it doesn't stack with other things that increase your reach, IIRC. So if you were large, it would at +5'. If you were HUGE, it would still just be +5 reach. If you were colossal and had a colossal spiked chain, it would still only add +5 reach.

While there are a few reach extenders which explicitly do not stack, Inhuman Reach is not one of them. "You gain an additional 5 feet of reach... If you already have a reach of more than 5 feet for some reason, this feat extends your reach by another 5 feet." The only penalty/limitation on Inhuman Reach is that it imposes a -1 penalty on all melee attack rolls.